Problem Spelling

Morning wood/morning glory/any northern UK expressions for a morning boner?

Got a spot of writer's block.:eek:

Morning wood/morning glory/any northern UK expressions for a morning boner?

Got a spot of writer's block.:eek:

Only ones that I can think of are "Dawn Horn" or "Piss Proud" I'm not sure how common the latter is outside Preston though. Also I suspect it's more prevalent amongst the lower orders :)

Only ones that I can think of are "Dawn Horn" or "Piss Proud" I'm not sure how common the latter is outside Preston though. Also I suspect it's more prevalent amongst the lower orders :)

Ta, think I'm going to use 'Dawn Horn' with one of the others. :D

One of the improvements to Literotica is the spell-check red underline hint when writing a post.

But it doesn't recognise 'Literotica' and it is set for US English.

When I want to emphasise a post I might use a colour. It tells me I should use color. Sorry. I write UK English.

And "forte" in the last century has been mispronounced so regularly (it should be "fort," but now is regularly pronounced "fortay") that dictionaries have long paragraphs on pronouncing the word that, basically, acknowledge that no one uses the proper pronunciation anymore.

And Cat Stevens singlehandedly did in "re-creation" (create again) with "recreation" (Play ball!) in the song "Morning Has Broken."

Nonsense, nonsense. The word is 100% French, meaning strength or skill. Why is it the 'pianoforte'? We have dropped the accent but the '-ay' ending lingers on. The convoluted claptrap that confuses 'fort' - a building for soldiers - with skill and ability is nonsense.

Don't really give a rat's ass what you make up about it, Elfin. We're talking about English usage here, not French. And, in fact, The French version is le fort (no "tay" on it at all). The "for-tay" pronunciation crept in from the Italian version. When you can afford it and can get over yourself on what you don't know, I suggest you buy a Webster's dictionary. It's all explained there, with the first preference pronunciation in English given as "fort."

Mediterranean is a word I have had to type several times recently and always seem to get wrong. It look so much better with that second 'd'.

Restaurant and occasionally (restaraunt and occaisionally) are some other ones that I always kick myself when I spell them wrong.

There's a few others that bothered me for a long time, but I eventually managed to commit to memory: embarrass, amateur, separate, excellent, ridiculous. Nowadays I tend to just over pronounce them how they're spelled when I think to myself.

My issues aren't with classic misspellings - spell check utilities have gotten very good at helping out with that. My problem are the words that are actual words, just not the ones I meant to use. For example, I consistently type pursue instead of peruse. It's maddening.

how about fullfilling? successes? invinci(a)ble? what is ible? I know what able means. Double els double cees, double esses all confound me.

My issues aren't with classic misspellings - spell check utilities have gotten very good at helping out with that. My problem are the words that are actual words, just not the ones I meant to use. For example, I consistently type pursue instead of peruse. It's maddening.

I've noticed myself doing similar recently. I'll be on autopilot and write completely the wrong word. Most strange.

I've noticed myself doing similar recently. I'll be on autopilot and write completely the wrong word. Most strange.

It may not be all you (although I do the same thing). If you have autocorrect on, that will do all sorts of strange changes to what you were typing.

I'll even slip on your and you're, but I manage to catch those. I never slip on peak, peek, and pique. But flutes and flouts sometimes trip me up.

It may not be all you (although I do the same thing). If you have autocorrect on, that will do all sorts of strange changes to what you were typing.
Autocorrect is the enemy. Or the comedian.

Back