Prophecy of Ruin or Salvation (closed for heartofcourage)

"Special indeed, and especially charming...at least for those who are not the parents of children at that age," he agreed with a grin.

"You'll find out," Gram said with a shrug. He had settled Cat on his lap, must as Valius had when they rode in, as the group continued through the border town. Men and woman cheered and cat called as they went by, waving their hands, or hats, though they did not do so long before returning to the business of the day. "Sooner rather than later, I'm betting too. But there'll be the wedding and all that rot before you get to the really fun part, unless you're both clever and have already-"

"We've got a wonderful set of rooms ready for you," Heather interjected loudly, cutting her husband off. Honestly! The man had a one-track mind at times! "I'm sure you must want to rest after a long ride, Duchess Bryn, and I can't imagine that desert is pleasant to be in."

Garreth nodded, "Everything's in readiness, Sire, My Lady. Our furthest scouts saw your party coming into the foothills." His face was very serious; the youth trying his hardest to be a proper noble retainer. "We've posted a few more to keep an eye out, given the importance of our guests and how word has spread."

By now they had come to Gram's keep. It was not one building but a complex of several all within a heavy stone wall and then built back into the side of the mountain itself. The gates yawned open wide as they approached, "Yes, and dinner will be in a few hours," Gram added. "You're free to go where you will, though I'm sure you'll want to go over news and dispatches, Sire."

The young monarch nodded. "I will. But I'm sure her Grace will want to see what she can of your town, old friend, unless," he turned to look at Bryn, "You'd like to rest first? You can attend the meeting too, of course. I'd welcome your presence but the choice is yours."
 
Bryn smiled as Valius agreed with her. She could see a fondness in his eyes and she knew that he was good with children. She wondered briefly, and with a blush on her cheeks, how he would be with their children. That would be a happy day for everyone involved. Her cheeks pinkened even further when she heard Gram’s comments about their activities. She couldn’t help but laugh softly at the man’s thoughts. If Valius and her had their way, they would have consummated their relationship a thousand times over by now.

As Valius turned to her and asked what she wanted to do, Bryn thought about it for a moment. She wanted to be with him, to start learning the business of the kingdom as was her right, but the draw of a nice bath and a change of clothing was almost too much to turn away.

“I think I will rest for a while, my lord.” She said softly, smiling at him to lessen the blow if there was any to be had. “You know how I’ve been aching for a soft bed and a proper bath. I think I will take my opportunity while it presents itself.”
 
"Of course, Your Grace," Valius smiled back. She was sweet beyond the meaning of the word. "In truth, I should take to bath myself, I smell like sweaty bird and dust, but it can wait until some business is done." He reached out to take her hand and kissed it before pressing it to his chest a moment and letting go. "I will see you in a few hours; rest and relax well, my Bryn. You have done well for your first journey."

Heather walked up beside Bryn, one of Cat's tiny hands held in hers tightly to keep the girl from running off to be with the men. Gods, what would they do when she got older if she was like this now? "Your Grace, please, let me show you the way to your rooms. I'll be certain word is sent ahead that you want a bath and it'll be drawn up and waiting when you arrive."

Valius watched them go, Masha and the Fire Guard with the three noble women as a few other rangers carried Bryn's bags behind them. He thought of their time in the enormous baths at Aldor's palace and smiled; if only such a thing could be here.

But that was a dream he could indulge in another time. He was back home and again fully a king. He turned and walked towards the keep's large hall; behind it and up in the tower above were Gram's offices, library, and the aerie for his messenger hawks. Gram fell in beside him, Claudius and a few other rangers fanning out to join them. "Sir Dax, you are welcome to come as well. As ambassador, and more importantly a man I respect, your presence and counsel would be a comfort."

Gram gave the foreigner an appraising look but did not gainsay his liege. "I've got all the latest dispatches and news on my desk, Sire, and its' yours to use as long as you are here. There's stirring all over, it's said. More beasts than just my bear are growing restless or frenzied and attacking folk. You can read for yourself, but since you'll ask me my thoughts after you're done, I'll give them to you now. Something is going to happen. The beasts can feel the tension, the turn of Fate's wheel."

The two dragons he'd seen rose in the young king's mind's eye. "A month ago, I'd have called you foolish for that, Gram. Now...I will keep it in mind as I learn what has passed in my lands during my absence."
 
Bryn felt her heart melt as Valius took her hand and kissed it gently, pressing her palm over his chest for a long moment before he let her go. How she wished that the kiss had been upon her lips, but she understood that there were times to show restraint. She smiled for her betrothed and nodded her head, knowing that she’d see him again soon enough.

“Thank you.” Bryn said sweetly as Heather offered to show her to her rooms, little Cat pouting the entire way as she kept casting looks over her shoulder to where Valius stood with her father and the rest of his group of confidants.

“But I want to go with them!” Cat insisted, her little lip poking out further as Heather looked down at her daughter with an exasperated sigh.

“Kitten, you know that you can’t disturb your father when he works. If he had wanted you with him, he would have asked you to come.” She explained softly, looking at Bryn with an apologetic look. “I’m sorry, your grace, for my daughter’s rudeness.”

“Think nothing of it. I was a little girl that adored my father’s company once too.” Bryn explained, drawing a soft smile from the Countess.

Bryn barely took the time to look around the great halls of the castle of Westgate before she was ushered off towards the wing where the state apartments were kept. The stone walls were grey stone, the floors highly polished glistening wood, and tapestries of fantastical beasts hung on nearly every surface. It was beautiful, she thought to herself, but incredibly different from Al’Tir.

“Here we are. You’re suite.” Heather announced, pushing open a thick wooden door to reveal a very beautiful and finely decorated space.

Bryn stepped into the room and stood on the ornate blue rug for a long moment, simply looking around at the space before her. The walls were again grey stone, but the room was nice and warm from the blazing fire that danced in the hearth. The bed was a large, imposing piece of furniture, topped with a canopy and draped with thick curtains on every side. The woodwork was finely carved from the wood in the surrounding forests and Bryn briefly wondered if this is how Valius’s castle would look as well.

“It’s very lovely. Thank you for such a room.” Bryn said softly, turning back towards Heather with a gaze full of humble awe. “I believe I shall take that bath now and then rest. Will you let me know when the next meal is?”

“I will send someone to fetch you.” Heather said with a nod, knowing very well that someone would probably be little Cat. “Enjoy yourself here, your grace.”

With that, Heather left the room, leaving Bryn alone with Enna and Masha as the rest of the Fire Guard set out to secure the surrounding area. Bryn let out a long breath and looked around the room once more, her hands resting on her hips as she struggled to come to terms with the space around her.

“This certainly isn’t like Al’Tir.” She said softly, her heart aching momentarily for the warmth of her own bedroom back in the palace. “But, I suppose this is alright as well.”
 
"It's different, I know," Enna said. She looked around with a smile, "Though this is a lovely set of rooms...you're used to a lot of open space to let heat move through but we have to close it off to keep it in here up in the mountains." She shrugged, "It won't feel "right" for a while, I'm sure, and it must make you feel homesick but I'm sure if you'll find it has it's own charms."

Masha had pulled her cloak off and hung it be the door, the leathers of her armor shifting as she stretched a bit. "One of which is being off the birds for a while. Not that I don't love the darlings but riding so long can get you all stiff!"

"Mm," Enna smiled wickedly, "and that's a job we should be doing for the men, not the birds." She chuckled and turned, "Come now, Your Grace. Let's get you washed and relaxed. I'll do your back and your hair, if you wish, and Masha can keep vigil over us while we talk."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​


"Another one?" Valius shook his head as he set a small sheaf of papers onto the desk. "Honestly, I don't know why they bother. It's too late in my reign for any kind of regency now. These requests are a waste of time."

"Aye, but it's not actually bad," Gram shrugged. "It lets you know who your enemies are; the ones to keep an eye on among the Dukes."

Claudius scoffed. The old ranger was leaning against the door to the room, his arms crossed in such a way that his hands were right next to the hilt of his axe and his dagger. "Just the ones stupid enough to vote for the damn thing. The smart ones'll oppose it to get on your good side. Like that snake Aquaria."

The young monarch closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose, "Sir Claudius, not this again. Duke Attis has been one of my staunchest supporters. And he was on the bridge too. It was only good fortune that he managed to escape and the first thing he did was arrange and lead the search and rescue."

"Good fortune, aye, or he knew it was going to collapse," the ranger growled. "I've told you, Sire, not to trust that man. I trained him. I've crossed blades with him; I know him better than anyone but himself. He's a serpent at heart and he's only close to you so he can strike the better when the time is right."

The forest king kept his eyes shut for a few moments. He'd wondered himself about the bridge...but he didn't want to think badly of the man. He was cold and cunning without a doubt; he had a large network of intelligence assets and might be the most clever man in the kingdom. But he'd been Del's mentor and friend and he had supported Valius without question so far. He didn't really like him that much personally and a large part of him urged him to agree with Claudius. But...

"And I've told you, Sir Claudius, that in that event you and the Rangers and our spies will have to watch him for me. Until I know it for certain, I will not consider Attis of Aquaria my enemy." He opened his eyes and sighed, "It may be naive but I refuse to become paranoid and see foes in every shadow either."

The ranger scoffed again, "Then I'll have to drag you out to the training ground along with your pretty wife and teach you both how it is."

Valius smiled. "If only." Then he tapped sheaf of papers, "The resolution didn't pass but I'm tired of them. Have a message sent to the lords that signed and make it clear that I am king and if they keep this up, I'll take steps to remind them of it. I'm not afraid to be a tyrant to the nobility."

It was actually a strategy he was considering. He could be hard and cruel, at least to the upper class, and Bryn could be soft and comforting. They'd go her for intercession on their behalf and she would be seen as the moderating wisdom that kept him from annihilating those who angered him. But he doubted she'd like it. Still...it had its' merits as a plan.

He picked up the next document. "All right, this is...now that's just stupid. Did Baron Colmn really think I wouldn't catch this? Gods, I hope his boy takes after his mother."
 
“It will take some time.” Bryn agreed with Enna, looking towards her dear friend with a smile. “But I’m sure that I will come to enjoy this land just as much as I love Al’Tir.”

She blushed deeply as the two women talked about riding their men. Surely a man couldn’t be ridden like a bird…could he? Bryn couldn’t find it in her to work up the courage to answer that question, but she was sure that one day Valius would help her find out.

Bryn moved towards the bed, her fingers tracing over the thick coverlet that rested on it. She knew it would get incredibly cold here in the mountains and she looked forward to it. The oppressive heat of Al’Tir had been difficult for her much of her life, but she found that she enjoyed cooler climates much better. Again, her thoughts were turning towards home briefly when Enna suggested a bath.

“That would be lovely.” Bryn said with a smile, looking over her shoulder at Enna before she followed the woman into a bathing chamber.

The room was warm and cozy. It had no windows, but a blazing fire kept the bath of steaming water from becoming too chilled. The walls were covered in brightly lit candles, giving the entire space a bright and sunny feel. The bath itself was carved of white stone, nestled into a water spring that provided the hot water for all the baths in the castle. A table of fine linen towels and a comfortable bench finished the small space.

Bryn stepped towards the bath, dipping her fingers into it and sighing at the warm water. “Of course when I am done, I insist that you both use this as well. I won’t be the only one that is relaxed after that hard ride.”

She smiled at both women before she turned to them for help out of her leathers. As much as she had gotten use to wearing them, getting in and out of the hard leather coverings was difficult. She had been riding for days on her first journey and to say that her body was tired was an understatement.

“Masha, would you go and fetch one of my new gowns? I would like to wear something from Ithilien at dinner.” Bryn asked sweetly, waiting until she was out of the room before she allowed Enna to help her strip off her remaining clothes.

It was only a matter of moments before she was stepping into the water of the bath, sighing as it came to her chin and relaxed all the muscles that she’d never known she’d had.
 
Enna smiled as she watched Bryn sink into the bath. The utter look of bliss on her pretty face was one that she'd seen on many a rangers' face and knew had been on her own before. "Feels fantastic, doesn't it? There's nothing better after a long ride in the bush." She grinned wickedly, "Well, almost nothing better. Sometimes another ride hits the spot."

And once she and Claudius were able to slip away for the evening...

Masha clicked her tongue as she returned, "Your Excellency, really! Saying such things to an innocent lamb like Her Grace." She was grinning too, however. "...She's right though." The ranger held up a pair of dresses for the queen-to-be's inspection. "I thought I'd give you an option. I know you favor blue but I think this green would look lovely with your hair too."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​


Valius frowned as he down the last of the papers awaiting him. There was nothing too bad, a few good things, and the usual most of compromise solutions that would keep things going. There would be more of this when he reached the capital; these were only the more critical things that required his attention. Easily three times this much in minor disputes, pleas, and requests for crown intercession would be waiting for him there.

Gods, it made him feel like running back to Al'Tir just thinking about it.

But that was part of being king, and he'd always known that. He also knew that it was too much for one man to do alone and that it was a mistake to do it as he was now. But he was alone. Or he had been.

A smile passed over his lips as he thought of what Bryn must be doing now. In the bath, luxuriating in the hot, steamy water, her beautiful skin gleaming, soft, sweet, modest curves so innocently and seductively displayed...

He jerked his body to the right to avoid the overhand blow Claudius threw at him, lifting his left arm and then closing it to trap the man's arm. Valius twisted until Claudius cried out, "Ah, hells, enough!"

The young king released the pressure and then stood, letting the old ranger's arm fall free as he did so. "I wasn't really distracted, old friend."

"Hn." The grizzled soldier glared at Gram, who was laughing, and shook his head, "Sure you weren't. Maybe you came out of it and recovered, but-"

"You should have seen your eyes!" Gram waggled a finger at the other man, "You thought you'd be all old master and teach the lad something and he took you to school! Ha!"

"He's right though," Valius said, turning to his fighting mentor. "I'll be more wary, Sir Claudius. It's just...well, there aren't any excuses."

"Damn right there aren't." He scoffed, "Hells, it's to be expected given how long it's-"

"Oh, my," the young noblewoman who served as Gram's steward blushed, though she smiled too.

Valius colored, "My private life isn't-"

"-been since you laid with a woman, it's only natural to be distracted by that duchess of yours," Claudius plowed on, ignoring his liege's interruption. "But the whole of the kingdom hangs on your weakest breath, Sire. Put it out of your mind and your loins. If you were another man, I'd suggest you find a willing-"

"Don't." Valius didn't raise his voice at all but it was stern and cold in a way rarely heard. The other nobles in the room all paused in their laughter or conversation and grew quiet. He shook his head and then sat back down. He felt an intense fury towards his friend at that moment. From an objective point, he understood, but to suggest that he take another before his marriage to Bryn was unbearable. "...What's next?"

There were a few moments of tense silence. Then Gram coughed and slid forward another paper, "Nothing official, Sire, but this letter arrived for you yesterday. Came a far way too, by a proud messenger hawk I've never seen here before. I believe that's the Duchess of Lyet's seal on it."

It was. He'd recognize it anywhere. A warmth bloomed in him and washed away the cold anger, though it was tinged with bittersweet regret. She must have gotten the news of the engagement and wanted to write him; it had been years since she'd sent any correspondence that wasn't official. "Yes, you're right, Lord Gram." He took the letter and turned it over in his hands. "I'll hold onto this for now then. I think that's all, gentlemen and ladies. I need a bath and a rest before dinner."
 
Bryn leaned against the stone side of the bath, looking over the two gowns that Masha offered for her approval. She tilted her head to one side and considered the green for a long moment before she made her decision. A smile came to her lips as she gave Masha a nod.

“I think the green would be lovely.” She said finally, gasping as Enna poured warm water over her hair, saturating her thick locks in an instant.

“We have a lovely tiara that goes with that gown as well. Compliments of your father.” Enna said with a grin as she gathered sweet smelling soaps and started to clean the young woman’s long hair.

“Papa gave me a crown?” Bryn asked, surprised as Enna’s sure fingers moved against her scalp, making her practically purr as she relaxed completely. “That feels absolutely wonderful.”


Dax was quiet the entire time he was with the other men. He had never liked dealing with matters of diplomacy, but he supposed as a new ambassador, he needed to get his opinions in while they were still welcomed. When the talk turned towards Bryn and Claudius started suggesting that the king find a woman that could please him, it was all Dax could do not to pull his dagger and stab the man right there.

He was deeply offended and it seemed that the king was as well. To his credit, Valius stopped the situation in an instant, a dark cloud looming over the room before the final business was attended to and Valius dismissed himself to relax. There were a few words that Dax needed to have with Claudius though.

Waiting until the King was safely in his chambers, Dax blocked the old ranger’s way to his own quarters. “I know things are done differently here in this kingdom, but if you ever speak of the Lady Bryn or her association with her betrothed like that again, know that I will do nothing short of burying a dagger in your back.”

His brown eyes were full of fury. He was a brother protecting a woman who he viewed as his little sister. In his eyes, an apology was most definitely in order.
 
Enna chuckled at her dear friend's enjoyment of the shampooing and the scalp massage. "Doesn't it though? I don't know if you have spas in Al'Tir, but there are a few in Ithilien where noble ladies go to be absolutely pampered. All around natural hot springs and the like; very relaxing and very good for the skin."

Her fingers worked as she spoke to rub and knead with that pressure that was almost too much; knowing exactly how nice it could feel. "I did a little time working at one in Aquaria, actually, just for fun and to practice my undercover work. I considered being a part of the kingdom's intelligence when I was just a girl."

"Because you're so old now," Masha rolled her eyes. "And I wouldn't call the tiara a "crown" exactly, Your Grace, but it's a lovely piece. Gold and jewels but it's too pretty to be a crown; they're usually big and obvious and kind of gaudy from my experience."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​


Claudius looked up at the taller, younger man and his eyes were the hard, cool orbs of a man who knew death well and had no fear of it. "Is that a fact? What I said had nothing to do with Her Grace, and I don't give two pennies for your sense of decorum, Sir Dax."

The man was exceptionally dangerous. He'd killed exceptionally dangerous men before. He wasn't sure who would win if they came to blows but he didn't fear the fight.

"My allegiance is to my king and the crown itself. And right now, my king is distracted. Distraction is deadly, Sir Dax, as you damn well know. If I think him getting a little pleasure will get him focused again and keep him alert and safe, I'll tell him so. It's his right to do so or not, and he won't, but it's my duty to say things other people don't find agreeable if they help the crown. I'm not apologizing to you, or to anyone, for that."

"You want to knife me for it? Draw steel. Now." His own knife wasn't out but his hand was on the hilt and it could be unsheathed and stabbing in the time it took to blink. "Or wait and keep your word, stab me in the back sometime. But I'll be looking for your treachery now, and I've had people come at my back before. I'm still here."

"What's it going to be? I'm an old man and I'd rather not drag this out. Draw or get out of my way."
 
Bryn could barely follow the conversation as she sank further into the steaming water. Enna's sure fingers made her squirm and soon she was like putty in her hands. She let out a long sigh as she relaxed completely, purring as Enna finally finished and set about cleaning her hair with buckets of steaming water.

It made her think of the times that Valius had trailed his fingers through her hair. She had a little smile on her lips as he mind wandered to all of those stolen moments. Kisses that had turned passionate. Touching that was less than innocent. All of it served to heat her blood until she was sure she was about to burst. His lips felt so good on her skin, showing her what things were like between men and women. Oh, how she wanted him right then...

With a sudden gasp, Bryn sat up right in the bath, shaking clear the erotic images and cobwebs from her brain until she looked at her two female companions with a dark blush upon her cheeks. She was sure that they knew what she was thinking about and she swore that she was about to die from embarrassment.

"I was daydreaming." She answered simply, struggling to gather herself back from such intense thoughts.



Dax stood there staring at Claudius, his anger near boiling. He had to remember that he wasn't at home any longer. If he killed this man, he would be arrested and executed. He couldn't leave Bryn alone with these people. Especially not with the man that treated vows like they were nothing but expendable fluff.

"Watch your tongue." Was all that Dax said as he turned and stormed off with a huff, ready to simply want away then to turn the man's slight into an international incident.
 
Enna and Masha exchanged a look as Bryn let out a soft sound in the bath. The petite desert beauty's eyes were closed and her lips were curved in a sensual smile. Both women knew that expression and knew it had been on their own faces many times.

The countess let out a yelp as Bryn gasped and sat up, slopping water over the side and splashing her and Masha with hot water. "Ack! Goodness, which of us is being washed again?"

Masha wiped water from her jerkin and shook her head, "Well, we'd have washed up before dinner anyway." The older woman quirked an eyebrow and smiled at the brightly blushing girl, "Day dreaming, all right, and very nice, nasty day dreams, I'd wager. My favorite kind."

Enna laughed and shrugged, "Mine too, if I'm honest. Don't feel bad about it, Bryn dear. It's natural! I don't know how your people feel about it, but a young lady should think about those kinds of things." She stood, brushing her skirt as she did so, "If you'd like, Masha and I can step outside for a few minutes and give you some privacy to indulge your daydreams and, well, maybe a few other things if you wanted to."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​


Claudius watched Dax go and his hand didn't stray from the hilt of his knife until the man was out of his sight for a full hundred count. "The gods are asses, as usual," he grunted.

This was going to make things messy. Dax hadn't renounced his enmity and though they hadn't come to blows, the older man would be watching him more closely from now on. They were enemies, just like that. It would make his duties more difficult; the man was going to be a fixture at court.

He sighed. "One more reason to retire early and wed that devilish young countess."

The experienced ranger turned to walk through the familiar passages of the keep, one he'd spent many months at over his career. He'd go to his post at Valius' quarters and try to figure out how he was going to tell Masha that he might have to kill her new man at some point.
 
"I don't need private time." Bryn muttered under her breath, sinking just a little further beneath the water. "In fact, I think I'm done for now."

She quickly stood, her hair clinging to her naked curves as the water slipped down her skin back into the basin. She held out a hand for one of the large towels to wrap around her body. With Enna's help, her hair was wrapped into another towel and then she stepped from the water completely.

"I think I'll take some time to rest if the both of you would like to go do other things. I'm sure you'd like to take the opportunity to bathe as well." Bryn suggested, wanting to be alone for a few moments for her own reasons. "I can dress for dinner if someone would come and help me with my hair."
 
Enna repressed a giggle. Bryn was so precious! She adored the girl to death. "Of course, Your Grace." She rose smoothly, Masha a little jerkily and went to the door of the bathing chamber. She turned and curtseyed, Masha bowing, "I'll go wash up and return to help you with your hair."

As she straightened, Masha nodded, "I'll be maybe fifteen minutes at most, Your Grace, and then I'll be back on your door. Esta and Flywlli are there now, if you need anything."

With that, the two women withdrew and in moments, the sound of the door to the suite opening and then closing, along with a brief murmur of conversation, informed Bryn that she was alone at last.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Valius didn't like to think of himself as a decadent man. But right now, he felt like one. The young monarch was laying back in an enormous bath tum in the bathing room of his suite and steaming hot water covered him up to his neck. His hair looked even darker wet and was plastered to his skull and forehead, his skin gleaming with wetness, his eyes closed, a happy smile on his lips.

Gods, such a simple thing as a bath could feel so damn good. He knew it well, it had been the same the first time he'd gone on a circuit with the rangers and on other expeditions but it always surprised him anew with just how glorious hot water could be.

And then there was the bed. A real mountain hold bed; thick timbered and framed to hold a deep mattress and thick, down stuffed comforters that could warm even on the coldest of nights. It was practically calling his name.

But there was more to do today. Dinner, catching up on news and doings here, introducing Bryn to more of Ithilien; the ways of the land and her people. He grinned in the bath. Now that would be fun. He loved his tiny little bride to be and her wonder and curiosity with his kingdom was as flattering and ego-stroking a thing as he had ever felt.
 
Bryn waited until the door to her chambers shut and she was finally left alone for the first time since she had left Al'Tir. She let out a long sigh and turned to look at her reflection in the mirror of her vanity. She didn't look any different, but she certainly didn't feel like the same person that she had been when she left the palace.

She took a seat on the padded chair that was provided, looking over her box of jewels and a travelling pack that Enna had prepared for her hairbrushes and perfumes. She withdrew a thick cream for her face, lathering it on to combat the dry skin that she had picked up on her travels. Then she pulled the wrap around her hair free, letting her long red hair fall in thick coils around her bare shoulders.

She was just about to pick up her makeup brushes when she heard a small noise coming from the door. Turning her head slightly, she saw a blonde head duck back behind the door, followed by more giggling and the sounds of her guards speaking to someone small. Suddenly, Cat's head poked back through and she shyly looked at Bryn.

"Why, Lady Cat, I'm pleased to see you again. Won't you come in?" Bryn asked, giving the little girl her most warm and welcome smile. "I think I'll need help in picking out the jewels I'll wear at dinner. Something that will match my new tiara."
 
The little girl's slow, demure approach was quite at odds with the bluster and bravado she had shown earlier. She too had apparently been washed and put into a new, clean dress; one that had a bit too many ruffles and skirt ruffs to run and jump as freely as the forward girl preferred. She looked adorable and that pleased her but she always felt so..foofy in a dress like this. She felt like Catherine, a wispy lady, and not Cat who was fierce!

But a bit of her energy slipped into her eyes as she saw the jewelry box and the baubles within. "Oh, wow! You've got so many and they're all so pretty!" She jumped forward as best she could in the dress, managing more of a hop, and peered into the box and then up at Bryn.

She was nice and pretty but Cat was secretly a bit intimidated by her. She came from a whole other land! And everyone seemed to think she was very important.

"I think you should wear them all! You'd be covered in shiny gems and they'd sparkle so nice!" She then pursed her small lips. "Oh, though...I guess you don't have enough fingers for all the rings...hmm. This is trickier than I thought."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​


His skin seemed to almost shine, clean and fresh and healthy, as the young king of Ithilien stood by the largest window of his suite wrapped in a black dressing robe and looked out over Eastgate. Lights glowed in windows already, though the sun was not yet fully set, and they twinkled and glowed beside the surging river. It was like a thick, charging column of silver in the growing twilight and the dull roar of the rapids and the falls seemed to chip away at the transition of night into day as it did at the rock it coursed through. Here there was no great difference between dark and light, not in this place where the great water rushed at all times and paid no heed to sun or moon.

The sound had been prickling at him since they arrived. The sight was beautiful and the rush stupendous but it also reminded him of that day. Of the bridge giving way under the feet of his steed. The tumbling confusion and whirl of wood, rope, feathers, men, women, cloth, all crashing around and past him. It had made such a noise. A breathless, bloodless roar, so much like this.

He closed his eyes, feeling cold sweat on his forehead. Damn him! Was he a man and master of himself or a beast that breaks at the slightest noise? He should be over this.

Valius drew a deep, somewhat ragged breath and opened his eyes again. He forced himself to look at the rapid river, to listen to the thundering roar. He felt the ice water lashing at him again. He felt his clothes, soaked and seeming heavy as iron, pulling at him, dragging him down though he clawed and fought.

He swallowed and stared out his window; standing in two places in the world and his runaway memories.
 
Bryn smiled at the charming girl as she tried to be so grown up yet couldn't quite keep her excitement at bay. She remembered being just like her at that age, struggling to do what she knew her father would have wanted. Still, the jewelry captivated her in a way that was completely charming.

"Oh, but a lady doesn't wear all of her jewels at once." Bryn said with a laugh as the girl seemed to think so hard on what she should wear that evening. "Only someone who wishes to show off their wealth will do that."

Reaching into her jewelry box, Bryn brought out a lovely emerald necklace, one that would match her gown and tiara that evening. Beneath it was a butterfly barrette made of the most delicate twisted gold. It was one of her favorites. It would sit upon her long locks and dance on a hidden spring. Looking towards the entranced little girl, she gave her a smile and carefully pulled the butterfly free.

"Would you like to wear this tonight, Cat?" She asked her in a soft voice, letting her see the delicate little piece.
 
The girl's eyes danced over the jewels and adornments in the box. Her mom had some jewelry but it was nothing like this! This was all so much...more! She didn't know how else to put it, even in her own mind.

She tilted her little head at Bryn's reply and then nodded, "I guess that's true and you don't seem like a show-off. Which is good! There's lots of ladies who "show it all off" in the kingdom, from what Mom says. I'm not sure what she means but it's good you're not like that."

Her keen eyes followed the movement of the emerald pendant and the task clicked in her mind. "Ohh, right! That'll look really nice with your hair, won't it? Will you do all green ones? Maybe different greens?"

Her eyes then went wide at the offer to wear the butterfly clip; seeming so big they took up almost her whole head. "Me? Wear that?" She fidgeted and shifted from side to side, "I'd love to! It's so pretty! We don't have anything like that here and it'd make everybody so surprised!" THen her small face fell, "But...I wouldn't want to break it. It's so beautiful and if something happened, it'd just be awful! So maybe I shouldn't..."
 
"Do you think I'll look like the leaves in the trees if I wear different greens?" Bryn asked the little girl, completely charmed with her youthful exuberance. "I like the idea of reminding King Valius of his home."

The light in Cat's eyes as she was presented with the butterfly made Bryn smile with joy. There was something about a child that filled her heart with love and warm feelings. She knew that one day she would have her own daughter, one that would probably be was rambunctious and bright as the Lady Cat. Perhaps she would even have her father's beautiful eyes...

A shake of the head brought Bryn back into the present, watching as Cat's face fell. Bryn listened to the little girl's fears, but she refused to let her say no. Gently turning Cat around, she took her silky blonde hair and started to braid it, much as the woman of Al'Tir would have worn it.

"If it get broken, it's alright. It's just an object, Cat." Bryn said softly as she picked up her soft bristled brush and ran it through the blonde locks. "But I trust you to keep it safe for me. Besides, I think it will look absolutely beautiful on you."

A few gold pins from her jewelry box were used to hold the new hairstyle in place before she placed the butterfly gently on the braids. It bobbed and fluttered like a living creature and Bryn gently pulled Cat to look in the mirror.

"There. Absolutely beautiful, Lady Cat." Bryn said softly, smiling as the little girl looked over her suddenly grown up appearance.
 
Cat's eyes went wide as she took in her reflection; almost looking impossibly so. They were full of wonder and shock. Her tiny lips quavered before she breathed, "Us that-"

The girl cut off as the movement of her reflection's lips confirmed that it was indeed her. It couldn't be! She dressed up when she was supposed to but she just looked like a scruffy tomboy of a girl shoved a bit carelessly into a dress, which was the case, really. But now she looked..."I never thought I could look pretty."

Childish fear again, for she was a beautiful child but far from the first or youngest to doubt it. Her wondering chagrin was blasted away a moment later by a roar of grateful affection. "Oh, thank you! And it's true, the desert folk CAN do magic!"

The little girl turned and lunged into Bryn for a fierce hug, "You're so great! I love you!" She nuzzled against Bryn happily, "But I'll pay you back, I promise. I can show you all around the keep and the town, even the secret ways I'm not supposed to know about and the one everyone thinks fell in!"
 
Bryn saw the look of joy on Cat's face as she stared at herself in the polished mirror. She doubted the little girl had ever seen herself as a great beauty before, but she knew that in a few years there would be a great number of men at the door to ask for her hand.

"Anyone can look pretty. It depends on what is on the inside most of all." Bryn said as Cat gushed over how pretty she looked. "And it's not magic, my young lady. I've been braiding my hair since I was younger than you. In my home land, we are not allowed to cut our hair until we marry, so I have lots of practice."

A stunned look came to her face as Cat lunged for her, hugging her tightly. Bryn simply laughed softly and patted Cat's back as the little girl promised to repay her as much as she possibly could. It was sweet that this little girl wanted to repay her, but there was nothing that she was owed for such a a simple thing.

"I tell you what. Tomorrow, after we eat breakfast, you can take me around town. I will warn you, however, that Valius wishes me to keep my guards close by so you might want to save some of those secret places for another time. When I'm queen, perhaps you can show me." Bryn said with a fond smile towards Cat.
 
"Guards? Ha!" An expression of impish pride spread over the little girls face. "I've been getting away from guards for years! It's fun and they get SO mad!" Cat grinned up at her future liege, "We can wait if you want to, I guess...or we can ditch 'em! What do you say?"

~~~~~~~~~​

The great hall of the keep was not the immense grandness of Al'Tir's palace, nor would it compare favorably to the far more modest hall in the capital of Ithilien, but it was a place of stalwart comfort. The wooden floors gleamed faintly in the light from the windows. The lamp sconces on the wall were filled but yet unlit and there was no fire in the set in the fire pit which lay in the room's center for it was warm enough in the season to not have need of it yet. It lay in the center of the hall and ran almost the full length of the room starting ten feet from the door and ending just before the raised area where Gram sat when presiding and where the high table was now set.

Servants moved about as they finished setting places and tending to the dozens of little things that a meal in the hall required. It was not always used for affairs of this sort; Gram and his family usually ate in a another, smaller dining room. Meals for the guards and servants were usually placer here; a far more casual sort of dining in which many came and went as they pleased.

This was to be as formal a meal as was ever offered in Eastgate. The queen to be was to be presented to Ithilien nobility for the first time, after all. For all that though, it would doubtless be almost appallingly rustic to many. No one would be announced save for Bryn and Valius and there were to be no speeches other than a few "remarks" from Gram at the start. Though any attending could address the company if they so wished.

Many of the guests had already drifted in, taking care to stay out of the servants' way as they were best able to. In addition to all who had ridden with Valius, all of the important families in Gram's lands had a few people in attendance.

It was a testament to his skills, and perhaps the servants' attention to their tasks, that none noticed their king until he had been there for several minutes. He leaned against Gram's throne, watching in silence with a hint of a smile on his lips.

This felt good. More than hunger made him happy to be in this place or for the meal to come. He wanted Bryn to be here, among these rough but kind folk. In some ways, he felt they represented a great deal of the character of his people. He was eager for them to see her too; feeling an anticipatory pride at how she would charm and delight them, as effortlessly as she done everyone he had seen her meet.
 
Bryn laughed softly as Lady Cat insisted that they could ditch the guards if she wished. The little girl was utterly charming and brought great joy to Bryn as she readied herself for the meal that evening. Even when Masha and Enna came back to help her finish, she insisted that Cat stay and keep her company.

"I will talk to Valius this evening about it, Cat." Bryn said with a smile on her lips as Enna worked to pin the emerald and topaz tiara to her flaming red hair. "Perhaps he would like to join us as well. He enjoys getting away from his guards from time to time as well."

She caught the look that Masha gave her, laughing softly at the curiosity in her gaze. She would have to tell Masha later about the conversation. Of course, there was little she could do to get away from the Fire Guard if she wanted to. Claudius and Dax would see to it that she was not killed before she even stepped foot outside of the keep. It was their duty to see her safely married to Valius after all.

A short time later, Heather appeared at Bryn's door to collect her daughter. Heather was dressed beautifully in a purple gown of sturdy fabric. She looked very much like the lady of the keep, her blonde hair pulled away from her beautiful face as Cat enthusiastically showed her mother what Bryn had done with her hair.

"You look lovely, kitten." Heather murmured, bending down to kiss her daughter's brow. "Now, tell her highness goodbye. We must get going. Our guests are arriving."
 
Cat had a briefly mutinous expression but then seemed to think better of it. Perhaps judging, accurately, that being willful now in all her finery would draw greater ire from her mother. "Yes, Mom." Then she turned and curtseyed to Bryn, a charming move if clearly little practiced. "See you at dinner, Your Grace."

Enna arrived as the two borderlanders withdrew, pausing to watch them go. My, that was a change in the child, wasn't it? More of Bryn's handiwork or she was a gargant. "Your Grace, we can head to the foyer of the hall if you're ready. They'll be announcing the lesser guests once Lady Heather and little Cat get there. You and Valius are last, of course, so we've a bit of time yet if you want to tarry."

She looked over the other woman with a small smile, "You look wonderful, dear. Striking just the right notes, I think"

~~~~~~~~~~~​

The foyer and antechamber were fairly quiet; murmurs of conversation here and there. Many of the men and women waiting to be introduced had known Valius during his visits here as prince but the difference between prince and king was great. And for him to be king so young and in such a way had most of them nervous and unsure of how to approach their monarch. Several looked over at him where he stood idly against a wall with Claudius beside him, faces speaking clearly of a desire to approach but hesitance as to how.

Valius himself had greeted those who entered with a nod and a soft word of greeting but his mind was not on them. He found he could only keep the anticipation of Bryn firmly. He wondered what she would be wearing, hungered for how stunning she would look, and couldn't wait for her first social victory in his homeland.
 
Walking the hallways of the keep towards the antechamber of the ballroom, Bryn was in awe of every little thing. The sounds of the stream were louder there than anywhere else in the home. It bubbled and gurgled, calling to them as they walked past open windows to let the brisk northern breezes in. She was thankful that she had been given a gown that was sturdy and provided her warmth. It wouldn't do to have the future queen shivering as she was introduced to her people for the first time.

When she entered the room, it seemed that all talk hushed immediately. Every eye in the place was turned towards her, taking in her green gown and riot of red curls that trailed down her back like an exotic animal. Her green and topaz tiara seemed to make her hair dance as if were alive. Just as quickly as the talking had ceased, it started again as gossip and rumor flew quickly.

Bryn didn't care, however. All she cared about was Valius and when she spotting him standing there with Claudius, she gave him a smile. Walking towards him, her slippers barely made a sound on the stone floor. She was practically floating, her gown swirling around her legs in the most becoming way.

"My lord." She said as she curtsied towards him with a smile on her lips. "I have to say that I like seeing you in uniform. They suit you."

Most importantly, the look of relaxation on his face was what suited him the most. He was in his element, in his home land, and he was the king of all he saw. All of those things together fit him like a well tailored suit.
 
Gods, she was a vision. The dress was one he'd never seen before, though it was in a style known in Ithilien, and the sight of her in it made his heart swell with pride and affection. The verdant green fabric embraced and cradled her slender form to flatter her heavenly shape, the skirts movement over her legs was that of spring leaves in the wind. Her scarlet tresses were the vibrant color of life and fire; her pale skin was the perfect contrast to both her locks and the dress. Valius' eyes were only for her as she entered and approached; silently worshiping her pure and unintended divinity.

All talk stilled as she entered. Men and women alike stared at her in wonder. Standing behind Bryn, Enna had a pleased smirk on her face. She expected they'd quiet down, but this? Oh, this was perfect. The nobles and important folk of these lands struck dumb by the vision of their new queen. Oh, and word of this would spread like wildfire too!

Conversation burst into life again as Bryn moved forward into the room. Snatches of whispered conversations were just loud enough or dropped into a pause to be heard as she crossed the chamber.

“Beautiful!

“That jewelry…the wealth of the Fire Nation.”

“Looks more than a queen already.”

“Blight, I’d bend my knee to her.”

“Moves well, she does. And I thought they didn’t train women in the Fire Nation.”

The young king smiled at her words and looked down at himself, “It’s more suited to me than finery, I like to think. Our diplomats didn’t think it wise for me to wear a uniform like just another ranger in Al’Tir, lest I damage my standing and imperil the betrothal.” In truth, his uniforms were slightly different than the other rangers; more tightly woven and stitched of finer cloth including some of the silk gathered from the giant spiders of the southern forests making it hardier and more protective than it looked. Hardly armor but far more protective than a simple garment. There was also the insignia of rank on his left shoulder and above his right breast; the crown woven through the branches of a great tree, the emblem of the royal commander of the Rangers. He shrugged, “I always think I look a fool in fine garments. Better suited to a more sophisticated man.”

He took her hands in his hand drew her closer. Not into a full embrace or even a partial one but so that they were separated by a mere hand’s breadth. “Now you, my Bryn. Queen of my heart already, you look marvelous. Gods great and small, I could have watched you walking towards me just now a hundred times and not tired of it, save for wanting you here.”
 
Back
Top