Bitching about Boston

The government has given Boston cash to put on another anti terrorism simulation.

$85,000.00 federal grant.

Who knows what kind of traffic nightmare will happen in Kenmore Square this coming Sunday ?

Boston Police are seeking volunteers to use as puppets for their exercise at the Fenway.

I expect that there will be helicopters involved.

"Boston Police Department is hosting the June 12 drill, McCarthy said, and plans to put out a casting call for more than 100 volunteers to portray fans caught in a violent showdown between terrorists and police and Department of Homeland Security agents that will 
include realistic-sounding 
explosions and gunfire. This is the first time that the BPD has held a drill of this kind at Fenway Park, Curran said."


Pity the poor tourists.

Sunday, June 12th from 4:00pm to 6:30pm in the concourse at Fenway Park, Star Market presents year 7 of @EatBoston's original Bacon and Beer Festival. The Boston Bacon and Beer Festival is once again a fundraiser for The Red Sox.

http://www.wheretoeat.in/2016-boston-bacon-and-beer-festival/

Beer drinkers and simulated explosions and gunfire. What could go wrong ?
 
I hit 20,000
Missed my chance to make a thread.

Greater Boston pointed out that today's Boston Globe had many gun related articles.

Re-visited some of the back issues of the Globe, where the articles about guns and gun profits, were very pointed, and the headlines and quotes were printed in very large type.

Today's copy showed which gun manufacturer's made much cash, last year.
 
Our Boston production of July 4th, has grown to be increasingly fabulous.
People from all over the country have flocked to our city, to experience our grand display. Music from the Boston Pops and wonderful guests. Fireworks almost as extensive as New York's. A massive gathering of people in the city, enjoying a patriotic day.

My Ogre Husband once settled an English visitor where they could view the fireworks display from his hotel. He was wowed, and bewildered by how much energy we put into the 4th. Yes, UK, we really do appreciate separation of UK and America.

(I wish someone would explain to me, why British Petroleum is still allowed to fuck up America in 2016...)

I had thought that the Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular had a good number of patrons from the wealthy corporations in MA.

I was wrong.

Liberty Mutual Insuance should change their name to Benedict Arnold.

Mugar, who has generously given Boston many wonderful things, was behind it all.
He is the heir to the large chain of supermarkets, Star Market.

Now that Boston Police have swallowed all of that free government money for purchasing paramilitary toys, every city event must pay for enormous amounts of police to patrol everything.

There goes a patriotic jet, zooming above my house.
Would not do, to have someone cause another 911.

Which is a bunch of cow patties and horse cakes.
There are so many flights to and from Logan,
some communities have a near endless amount
of commercial jets scraping their roofs.

No hoisting the Jolly Roger on the most patriotic and rebellious of days.
Put on your plastic smile, and show the police your clear plastic bag,
and wave your plastic flag, made in a third world country.

Thank you, George W. Bush, for ruining July 4th.
Good job, Georgie.
 
Watched it all from home on the TV.
Had the windows open.
The New Year's Eve fireworks seem louder.

Thought of Cloverfield, halfway through.

If it happened in the Financial district, it could move over to Boston Common and the Park.

A little baby Cloverfield, mashing Boston landmarks as if they were paper cups.
All the battle sounds would be heard by bedroom communities.

Tonight's deep thumps started early. Moved on to some very big thumps. Had a small barrage of thumps. A quick volley of thumps.
Some spare big thumps.

The blow off, with too many thumps to count, and loud, enormous thumps!

If it was Cloverfield, there would be many jets zooming over my roof.
As it is, there was one huge helicopter that decided that my house was the one it needed to target. I am glad that we have tall trees.

:rolleyes:

It is much more impressive, to see it for real.
I really do hope this is not the last party.
Many villages have decided not to play, anymore.
Climate change and greedy rich people have wrecked the fun for the children.

Yay, Boston Pops!
 
Fun and games at Tornado Alley East

Move it, now!
Better safe, than sorry.

Severe Thunderstorm Warning remains in effect until 4:15 PM EDT for Southwestern Norfolk, Southeastern Worcester and southwestern Middlesex counties. At 3:32 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located over Northbridge, or 7 miles southwest of Milford, moving northeast at 15 mph.

Hazard, 60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

Source, radar indicated.

Impact: hail damage to vehicles is expected. Expect wind damage to roofs, siding, and trees.

Locations impacted include: Franklin, Milford, Grafton, Ashland, Bellingham, Northbridge. Hopkinton, Holliston, Uxbridge, Medway, Wrentham. Southborough, Blackstone, Sutton, Upton, Hopedale. Mendon and Millville.

Hail, 1.00IN Wind, 60mph.
 
It happens every Friday night in Roxbury, but this week, the Peace Walk feels extra important for residents and city officials in the wake of violence across the country in recent days.

"I like to see them," Pamela Wornum-Parker said.

She said she has lived in her Roxbury neighborhood for over 50 years. She said the Peace Walk is about building trust.

"It makes me feel a little more comfortable to know they have an interest and make sure the community is safe," Wornum-Parker said.

Walsh and Boston police are regulars at the weekly peace walk. Attorney General Maura Healey walked for the first time Friday and made a big impression.

http://m.wcvb.com//as-tempers-flare-theres-a-push-for-peace-on-streets-of-boston/40429064

Mayor Martin J. Walsh and Attorney General Maura Healey joined up with a group of church “peacewalkers” and Boston police officers Friday evening to stroll through Roxbury in an effort to promote community building between residents and law enforcement.

The group of about 35 people from the church, the mayor’s office, and the Police Department walked for over an hour, as Walsh and Healey posed for pictures, shook hands, and teamed up for a game of two-on-two basketball with local kids.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...hurch-group/LcyrRBdoWC7L8CcXWBbBfI/story.html

gsgs comment-

I am proud of Boston.
People are able to hear the Eid prayer without interference.
 
If you do not have a life vest/safety jacket

Do Not Get Into the Boat

Get one for your doggie, too!

*shakes head*
 
Feels like 102f - 104f in areas

97f in Boston moisture level 70% dew point 73f

Heat wave until Tuesday

Pop up storms for Tornado Alley East

Watch out, NH and Maine
 
Trees and power lines are down all across the state. Cells had their fun with us. NH got a good amount of hail.

Not quite, Chrismas in July.


"Meanwhile, at the New England Dragway in Epping Saturday afternoon, fans crammed into bathrooms as a severe thunderstorm moved through the area."

"What appears to be a shelf cloud over Epping."

http://m.wmur.com/weather/summer-conditions-continue-into-weekend/40849894


Storm at Fenway causes problems, Sports commentator hit in the head by monitor.


http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/07/23/storm-thunderstorm-wind-massachusetts-nh/

It is so nice of New York TV executives, to let us see something from our own city.


:rolleyes:
 
Boston was lucky, and Postman Pat was made available.
The children loved it, and it was sweet and charming.

Ken Barrie has left this plane of existence.

It's the new era. Is there room left, for sweet and charming ?
 



The great white shark is a beast, the largest predatory fish in the world. And just off the beaches of Massachusetts' Cape Cod, there's been an increasing number of sightings in summer months. Craig Lemoult of member station WGBH reports that some people believe it is time for beachgoers to get used to the presence of the sharks.

CRAIG LEMOULT, BYLINE: Dr. Greg Skomal leans over a railing at the bow of a motorboat and reaches a long pole into the Atlantic.

GREG SKOMAL: Come on up. Come on up.

LEMOULT: Just below the surface of the water, only a few feet away, is an 11-foot white shark. Skomal is a fisheries biologist for the state, and on this day he's already seen several of them. But this one's shallow enough for him to try to jab it with that pole, tagging it with a transmitter that will let him and beach managers know when it's nearby.

UNIDENTIFIED MAN #1: Yeah.

UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN: (Cheering).

MAN #1: Yeah. Right on, brother.

LEMOULT: Over the last seven, years Skomal has identified close to 200 white sharks swimming off Massachusetts and tagged nearly 80 of them. He says that's just a fraction of what's out here. Skomal points to a stretch of the shore.

SKOMAL: Yeah, it's few hundred seals right there on the beach. And you could see that the shark is hunting right off that pile of seals, you know? You really don't need the Ph.D. to figure this one out.

LEMOULT: The return of the seal population is actually a conservation success story. But it's come with a catch that's worrisome to more than just the seals. On Nauset Beach in Orleans, beach manager Nathan Sears says they used to shut things down when they heard from the researchers that white sharks were in the area, but then he realized the sharks aren't just there on the two days a week when the researchers go out.

NATHAN SEARS: It's seven days a week. There's dozens and possibly even more sharks swimming through these swim areas.

LEMOULT: For the most part, those sharks really aren't interested in people. There's only been one confirmed white shark bite off the Cape since 1936. But even so, Sears says beachgoers weren't being careful enough because he wasn't jamming a safety message down their throats.

SEARS: So we're at that point now.

LEMOULT: Sears stands next to a large sign - one of many he had put up this year - featuring a huge photo of a white shark, its mouth open, revealing blade-like teeth. The sign advertises the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy's new mobile phone app for tracking and reporting sightings. And it lists safety tips.

SEARS: Do not swim near seals. Swim close to shore, in waist-deep water. Avoid swimming at dawn and dusk.

LEMOULT: Liam's Clam Shack is just steps away from the sign.

UNIDENTIFIED MAN #2: I'm going to have a lobster roll, a tuna roll.

LEMOULT: The restaurant's owner, John Ohman, says he thinks all the signs and media attention that sharks are getting is overblown and bad for business.

JOHN OHMAN: I think it's unnecessary to alert the public to a danger that isn't as prevalent as one would think.

(SOUNDBITE OF WAVES CRASHING)

LEMOULT: It's a hot and sunny beach day, but 11-year-old Kate Sincebaugh’s mom won't let her go in the water at all.

KATE SINCEBAUGH: There might be sharks somewhere around here.

LEMOULT: Others are willing to take more of a risk. Nancy Earley says she swims in deep water even when she sees seals swimming just feet away.

NANCY EARLEY: Yeah, I'm aware of it, and I just enjoy it so much. And, you know, it's too much fun to give up.

LEMOULT: Her sister, Eileen, stands by, throwing her hands up in disbelief.

EILEEN EARLEY: We've always been concerned about her going out, thinking about undertows and all those things, but now with the shark threats added? It's nerve-wracking.

LEMOULT: But she's a big girl, Eileen says. And if her sister wants to swim with the sharks, they can't stop her. For NPR News, I'm Craig Lemoult.


 
bow echo-induced winds/downbursts

Tornado Alley East is laden with too much of a good thing.

Other parts of the East coast barely get a glance and contemptuous scant spit from Mother Nature.

The no see ums are persisting.
 
This month, just a small tornado. Weather person is almost joyous, this morning.They have not seen conditions that are perfection for a tornado, for New England, this month, other than what is expected today.

Oh, joy. /end sarcasm sequence.

It would help, if they pinpointed which towns are targeted on the dartboard.

The most likely areas are Tornado Alley East, and the Northern Coast Intercept.

Though, we have had fun experiences in the bedroom towns.

Perhaps a seashore (spellcheck likes watercolour for a substitution), or a Northshore fright ?

"Changeable," as the weather.
 
I missed the helicopter activity, in Boston.

The Department of Defense has sent their people to Boston for the usual practice runs.

Will they be gone, by Thursday ?

Meanwhile, out is South Korea, they are pretending to fight off an invasion by North Korea.

Summer Camp ?

I could have sworn that the war games in Boston were during Autumne, the last time they were climbing buildings, and buzzing buildings with helicopters.


"Department of Defense, in conjunction with local and federal law enforcement agencies reminds residents that low-flying aircraft are part of an ongoing training exercise, police say."


Do not scare the tourists

Hate crime targets LGBTQ newspaper in Salem, Mass

The heart of Salem was disrupted by an explosion on Tuesday at 1:19 a.m. when a group of seven individuals placed explosives in a the newspaper box belonging to an LGBTQ New England publication, according to local officials.

https://www.therainbowtimesmass.com/official-statement-hate-crime-rainbow-times/

Three months of vandalism, and no trouble for the vandals, and the vandals get bold enough to set a bomb.
 
I missed the helicopter activity, in Boston.

The Department of Defense has sent their people to Boston for the usual practice runs.

Will they be gone, by Thursday ?

Meanwhile, out is South Korea, they are pretending to fight off an invasion by North Korea.

Summer Camp ?

I could have sworn that the war games in Boston were during Autumne, the last time they were climbing buildings, and buzzing buildings with helicopters.


"Department of Defense, in conjunction with local and federal law enforcement agencies reminds residents that low-flying aircraft are part of an ongoing training exercise, police say."


Do not scare the tourists

Hate crime targets LGBTQ newspaper in Salem, Mass

The heart of Salem was disrupted by an explosion on Tuesday at 1:19 a.m. when a group of seven individuals placed explosives in a the newspaper box belonging to an LGBTQ New England publication, according to local officials.

https://www.therainbowtimesmass.com/official-statement-hate-crime-rainbow-times/

Three months of vandalism, and no trouble for the vandals, and the vandals get bold enough to set a bomb.

The DOD has a lot of missions. Let's let them train to be good at them.
 
Confirmation of manatee sighting this past week.

"...manatee that has been spotted off the coast of Cape Cod this summer resurfaced in Harwich, MA."

Seems as though the manatee was travelling all along the coast this summer.

Nice weather, for manatees, this summer.
 
Boston Celtics players and coaches bowed their heads and locked arms Tuesday in a show of unity during the national anthem of their preseason opener against the Philadelphia 76ers, at the Mullins Center at UMASS-Amherst.


http://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...f-Unity-During-National-Anthem-396056791.html


The Houston Rockets, New York Knicks, Sacramento Kings, Los Angeles Lakers and Toronto Raptors have made similar pregame gestures in recent days.

The shows of unity come after San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick contributed to a tense national dialogue about race by sitting during the national anthem.
 
Government Center’s Golden Teapot Is Back, Buffed, and Belching Steam

October 7, 2016

The teapot, which generates its signature stream of steam from the 227-and-a-half gallons of water in its golden belly, was badly damaged in an apparent truck crash back in May 2016

Has been there, for 150 years.

So glad, that it was not damaged too much to save.


http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2016/10/07/government-center-golden-teapot-back/

Sadly,it alerts people to the availability of Starbucks beverages, and not a locally owned shop.
 
Sister state of Massachusetts, Connecticut, has had an incident.

October 12, 2016

"I hear planes every day," he said. "I heard a plane, then I didn't hear anything. I looked up and the plane was just tipping over. It tipped to the left and dropped straight down. There was a loud bang, smoke and flame. It tipped to the left and just dropped like a rock."

Matthew Zuerblis of Wethersfield was talking to some coworkers at Monro Muffler at 431 Main St. when they heard a ground-shaking blast.

"You heard an explosion, Zuerblis said. "Telephone poles shook. We thought it was a car accident at first."

He went out to the street near Frank's Willow Inn restaurant and saw that black smoke was billowing from a plane, not a car. A woman who had been in a van that stopped right next to the wrecked plane rushed away from the scene with two children.

"She was just hysterical," he said. "I'm just glad they're OK."

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-east-hartford-plane-crash-1013-20161012-story.html

A student pilot and instructor were arguing shortly before a small plane they were in crashed near Pratt & Whitney Tuesday, killing one of them, a high-ranking local law enforcement official said Wednesday.
 
Was like waking up in Florida. Warm, soggy, and uncomfortable.
Sweaty runners wearing summer gear.

Now my toes are chilled.
Will it drop to 40f ?

It rained lions and hyenas.
 
Yoga Pants Parade in Rhode Island

The Providence Journal, October 21, 2016

Women clad in yoga pants plan to parade through a coastal Rhode Island town in protest of a man who said the attire looks tacky and ridiculous.

The women plan to hold a parade Sunday, to show they can wear whatever they want.

Their outrage is in response to a letter that town resident. He wrote to the Barrington Times about his dislike of yoga pants. He said women over age 20 shouldn’t wear them.

He wrote that it’s “bizarre and disturbing” to see the outfits on “mature, adult women,” noting that it’s “usually paired with a blousy top and a pony tail hairdo.” He said it’s the worst thing to happen in women’s fashion since the miniskirt. He said women should wear a “nice pair of tailored slacks” or jeans instead.

Tip of the hat, to the Boston Globe newspaper


Barrington women plan Yoga Pants Parade past letter writer's house
Knapton Street in Barrington will play host to a "Yoga Pants Parade" on Sunday afternoon


http://eastbayri.com/barrington/sto...-pants-parade-past-letter-writers-house,27775

Town resident wrote a letter to the Barrington Times about his dislike of yoga pants on certain women

“Not since the mini-skirt has there been something worn by so many women who should never have it on in the first place,” wrote Alan Sorrentino. “Yoga pants can be adorable on children and young women who have the benefit of nature's blessing of youth. However, on mature, adult women there is something bizarre and disturbing about the appearance they make in public."

“Yoga pants belong in the yoga studio," he continued. "What's next? Wearing a 'Speedo' to the supermarket? Imagine if men did that. Yuck! To all yoga pant wearers, I struggle with my own physicality as I age. I don't want to struggle with yours.”

http://www.providencejournal.com/ne...rotest-barrington-mans-letter-to-editor--poll

"...someone took her half-serious idea and made it an event on Facebook, slated for 2 p.m. on Sunday"


gsgs comment

Yoga pants are the best thing to happen since footless tights.
This man would have a conniption if he watched what women wore at skating lessons.

*Flips my modesty skirt, at him.*

Better, yet, bring him to a Comic Con. So many men and women in tights, Lyra, sanded, and yoga pants.

Ha!
 
Back
Top