Your Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Six dozen tamales for one hundred dollars. Beef, Chicken, Pork, or assortment. Shipped frozen. (Includes shipping fee)


:confused:

Somewhere, there are mothers, aunts, grandmothers, daughters and nieces, that are having a good laugh, I suppose.
 
I have just bought British Admiralty Publication BR5 - A Handbook of Naval Cookery Part II dated 1961. I have a historic family interest in its compilation.

But I don't think I'll be using the recipes. An example from Macaroni Cheese:

If you want to add an egg topping, at stage 7 slice 50 hard-boiled eggs and layer them over the top.
 
Figs are over for the year here already. This was from earlier in the year, and went into fig chutney. I just think they are beautiful :)

tumblr_obfc4bwzMs1ttoj3bo1_400.jpg



I have just bought British Admiralty Publication BR5 - A Handbook of Naval Cookery Part II dated 1961. I have a historic family interest in its compilation.

But I don't think I'll be using the recipes. An example from Macaroni Cheese:

If you want to add an egg topping, at stage 7 slice 50 hard-boiled eggs and layer them over the top.

This gave me a great idea. Topping mac and cheese with cured egg yolk.

Salt cured egg yolks
 
Figs are over for the year here already. This was from earlier in the year, and went into fig chutney. I just think they are beautiful :)

tumblr_obfc4bwzMs1ttoj3bo1_400.jpg





This gave me a great idea. Topping mac and cheese with cured egg yolk.

Salt cured egg yolks

We have two fig crops: one in late spring and another in late fall before the first frost in mid November. It's like having a candy dispenser by the back door. I was put off by the thought of cured egg yolks until I actually read the article. Now I'm going to have to try to make them!
 
Sugar, Queen of the cake

"Much of the tender, melt-in-the-mouth texture of cake comes from gas bubbles, which subdivide the batter into fragile sheets. The majority of this air is added in this initial stage by vigorous mixing of the fat and sugar – a process called "creaming". Air is carried along on the rough surfaces of the sugar crystals. This is why we use caster sugar, as the smaller the crystals, the more air is incorporated. These bubbles of air are encased by a film of fat, creating a foam."


"...the role of sugar in cake is much more complex. Initially it carries air bubbles into the mixture. It has a tenderising effect, as it softens flour proteins. It also lowers the caramelisation point of the batter, allowing the cake crust to colour at a lower temperature. Finally, it helps to keep the cake moist and edible for several days after baking."


"The chemical leavening agent is essentially baking powder: a blend of a dried acid (for example cream of tartar and sodium aluminium sulphate) and an alkali (sodium bicarbonate known commonly as baking soda). Adding water (and heat) to this mixture allows the acid to react with the alkali to produce carbon dioxide gas. This is trapped in the tiny air pockets of the batter that were made when you creamed the fat and sugar."


https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2010/jun/09/science-cake-baking-andy-connelly
 
"Aluminum-free baking powders react with liquid and not with heat. And that, Corriher explains, makes them "faster acting than most double-acting powders. You need to move fast and get cakes made with [aluminum-free baking powders] into the oven promptly since most of the bubbles are released shortly after mixing."

B.aking powders with aluminum, on the other hand, "have most of their action delayed until the batter is hot in the oven."

http://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/why-aluminum-free-baking-powder-is-better-article
 
"You can overbake a pie crust."

"Don't let it go so long that the fat gets baked out."

"It can easily happen around the edges."

I did not buy pie crust guards. My edges are always burnt.
 
I need to prep a brisket, tonight. Getting up early to cook it, tomorrow.
 
My dad told me some stories of his trips from Winnipeg up to a lake in the NWT. The local native guides brought a bunch of bags of potato chips along and he figured they really like them. Not the case. Once they caught their fish, the native guides prepared the shore lunch dipping the fillets into a bit of egg and coating them in crushed ripple plain potato chips and frying them in hot fat in a skillet. F'n amazing.
Took my dad fishing a couple of weeks back and prepared our smallmouth bass the same way. Boy was he ever pleased I remembered the story. Priceless...
 
I just discovered Elotes. :heart: Denmark doesn't carry Cotija cheese so I had to use parmesan instead. The whole thing is pretty powerfully flavoured and delightful. Next time I think I'll try a milder fresh cheese instead.

d53753336311997ecc60bb0fca11c030.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top