I am Music

You know I love Chet Baker, GP. So good.




And I would. Slow dance with you. I hope "clutch and sway" works for you, as it's all I ever learned.

Such great music.

Poor Chet was past his best at this point I think. I saw him at the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa shortly before he became too sick to perform, still some lovely sounds but sad to see him so raddled.

You sway divinely my dear
 
Emma Carrington

A singer so new I cannot find a single recording on Youtube. Last week I saw the special performance by the RSC on the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death.

It included some of the music inspired by WS and was sung by this woman from English National Opera. She has a contralto voice of extraordinary quality, it's incredible, like treacle and velvet, utterly smooth and totally comfortable.

http://www.eno.org/artists/emma-carrington/

We will hear more from her.

Incidentally, why do modern opera buffs insist on calling singers mezzo sopranos when they are very clearly contraltos?:(
 
Incidentally, why do modern opera buffs insist on calling singers mezzo sopranos when they are very clearly contraltos?:(

That's a tricky question; the way to determine to which species of voice she really belongs, is by where she changes registers. But modern singers are trained to gloss over the register breaks, so it's unlikely that you will hear them.
 
That's a tricky question; the way to determine to which species of voice she really belongs, is by where she changes registers. But modern singers are trained to gloss over the register breaks, so it's unlikely that you will hear them.

You are right, but she was so 'comfortable' at the lowest end! Incidentally she was singing Berlioz, Beatrice Et Benedict - Duo Nocturne with the lyric Soprano, Rhian Lois who is pretty impressive herself. She is another young singer the ENO is giving significant roles to.
 
RIP to the great Ralph Stanley, a true, unique voice of the Appalachian Mountains. His influence has been wide-ranging beyond his country roots. Jerry Garcia, Michael Stipe of REM and many others have noted his sound as influencing theirs. When I look at the mountains outside my window, I think if they could talk they'd sound like Ralph Stanley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQRh7dvmY50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xmRWj7gJEU
 
Something from greatest classical composer you have never heard of, Jan Dismas Zelenka. He hails from one of the most musical of all cultures, that of the modern-day Czechs.
 
I don't mean to monopolize the thread, but I thought I would share something that is both musical and erotic. How can someone not be aroused by the insistent rhythms of Sheila E? Plus, there's that thing with the hemline.
 
I think this is pretty amazing for a MIDI keyboard/synthesizer app.

On the other hand, Jimi did it better fifty years ago with vastly cruder electronics.

I'm curious about what AH thinks about this.
 
I'm curious about what AH thinks about this.

I agree that the app is cool. I don't like Marco's playing much.

That song means a lot to me -- I've been playing it since I was a kid. It's a very soulful tune, and a lot of good players have tried but made a mess out of it. Stevie Ray Vaughan tries to play blues all the way through the chord progression, which doesn't work. Eric Clapton turns it into a bludgeoning rock tune. Steve Vai shreds, as one might expect.

I know a couple of covers that stay true to the spirit of the tune. This one's a medley with another tune from "Axis: Bold as Love":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M56QwDjE6PQ

This one is rather ordinary until Robben Ford enters with his solo at 3:18, but that solo is worth waiting for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYYd7BEdoIM
 
This Beck song has been stuck in my head for days. Fortunately it's quite entertaining, even poetic ("jigsaw jazz and the get fresh flow" c'mon, that's good!).
 
Back
Top