Orlando Night Club Incident

Kantarii

I'm Not A Bitch!
My heart goes out to all the victims and their families. Such a tragic day for the LBGT community. Even though that part of my life has been put behind me, it doesn't affect my feelings for a community I'm no longer active in. My sympathies to all that lost their lives because of hate. Violence isn't the answer.

My heart goes out to all the victims and their families. Such a tragic day for the LBGT community. Even though that part of my life has been put behind me, it doesn't affect my feelings for a community I'm no longer active in. My sympathies to all that lost their lives because of hate. Violence isn't the answer.
My thoughts and prayers are also with the victims.
Can you help me with a question? A couple of times, I've heard a Q being added to the GLBT initials. I don't remember hearing this. What's the Q?

Can you help me with a question? A couple of times, I've heard a Q being added to the GLBT initials. I don't remember hearing this. What's the Q?

I thought it applied to the term "queers". I might have to look into it a bit more. Not sure exactly. Honestly, I don't think the "Q" really needs to be applied to the LBGT. Seems kinda redundant

Either "questioning" (people who are still figuring out where they sit) or "queer".

"Queer" gets used as a sort of "it's complicated"/"don't want to specify" catch-all. Some examples:

- Jane used to ID as lesbian and got into a relationship with Sue. Then Sue transitioned to Bob; Jane and Bob are still together but Jane isn't otherwise attracted to men. She doesn't feel like "bi" accurately describes her but calling herself "lesbian" while she's in a relationship with Bob is just confusing.

- Tom's still figuring out his orientation; he's not sure whether he's 100% gay, or maybe a little bit bi, and some of that's changing over time, so he calls himself "queer" rather than pick a label that might end up being wrong.

- Jo is a non-binary-gender trans person who's only attracted to women. Neither "straight" nor "gay" are useful labels.

I see a lot of younger folk labelling themselves as "queer", but for some older gay people it has very unpleasant baggage, so be careful about using it with somebody if you don't know their preferences.

Up here the media refers to the term as LGBTQ2S The 2S is two-spirit. In reference to native American historical reference to homosexuals. A bit of a mouthful to say.

Elgeebeetranqueertwospirit. Can't see that entering a lexicon any time soon.

Ha - yea, it's a bit nuts but done for the best of intentions, which is to be inclusive. You can add questionning, intersex, asexual, pansexual too.
I recently discovered I am 'demisexual' as well as trans, but I treat that as seriously as I do horoscopes. We should be careful not to take ourselves too seriously except for real issues.

Shooters Father

I find it a little strange that the shooters father was sitting directly behind Hillary during one of her rallys. She claimed she didn't know. You can't get that close to a candidate without them knowing. He said later he was invited by the party.

Why is that strange? Literally thousands of people go to those conventions: there has to be several rapists, a murderer, a child molester and even politicians in every crowd of 1,000+ people so why not a murderers father as well? *shrug*
It didn't work out so well for A.Lincoln did it? :cool:

Why is it just a terrible day just for gays? They were Americans, citizens, innocent people and what happened to them was a crime and true justice would be the death sentence. Why do people want to segregate themselves, put labels on themselves? This was murder. Cold blooded and all should feel, not just a small group of society, sad and want justice. Some liberal lawyer who doesn't care for justice will say "Oh, he had a bad child hood or he was out of his mind due to some stupid excuse and should be set free." Bull. When you kill, you know it is wrong and he behaved as a man who knew what he was doing. Give him a fair trail, no corrupt judge or lying lawyer, and let 12 good people find him guilty if the evidence proves it. And give him the punishment that such a crime deserves if found guilty. Not just for gays, but for all of us.

I find it a little strange that the shooters father was sitting directly behind Hillary during one of her rallys. She claimed she didn't know. You can't get that close to a candidate without them knowing. He said later he was invited by the party.

This is true. Unless Hillary and her people are really as stupid as they act, she knew he was there and was using it as a slap in the face to the victims and the citizens. Given the fact that just about everything she says is a lie, the odds are she is lying about this also.

Why is it just a terrible day just for gays? They were Americans, citizens, innocent people and what happened to them was a crime and true justice would be the death sentence. Why do people want to segregate themselves, put labels on themselves? This was murder.

"segregate themselves"? LGBT people (not just "gay") get segregated by other folk whether they choose it or not. Plenty of folk willing out to single out the queers and talk about how dreadful they are. But as soon as somebody acts on those words, suddenly y'all are "I don't see LGBT, just people".

Nope. LGBT people are specifically targeted, as are non-white. (This particular attack targeted both; Pulse had a lot of Latinx patrons). Just the other day some arsehole got caught filling the dispensers in a gay club with hydrochloric acid; they caught him because it wasn't even the first time somebody had tried that, so the club had set up tamper alarms.

When you say "don't label the victims", what it sounds like is "don't acknowledge that people were targeted for who they were".

Cold blooded and all should feel, not just a small group of society, sad and want justice. Some liberal lawyer who doesn't care for justice will say "Oh, he had a bad child hood or he was out of his mind due to some stupid excuse and should be set free." Bull. When you kill, you know it is wrong and he behaved as a man who knew what he was doing. Give him a fair trail, no corrupt judge or lying lawyer, and let 12 good people find him guilty if the evidence proves it. And give him the punishment that such a crime deserves if found guilty. Not just for gays, but for all of us.

Uh... the shooter died at the scene. Kinda difficult to give him any kind of trial. If you don't know even that much about the case, it's in poor taste to be trying to hijack this thread to push your own agenda.

Back