Oz invents brutal new approach to tourists

If the heat and dehydration don't get you?

The wildlife will. Don't pick up a male platypus. The pain from poison in the fangs by its back feet lasts for weeks. But it won't kill you unlike many Australian creatures.

Go swimming? Watch out for salties, great whites - but it's the jellyfish that are more likely to get you.

That's a warm day for hiking. Sounds like someone dehydrated.

It's a stupid day for hiking unless you are a fit and active Aussie. Even then, it would be a better day for some cold beers watching other idiots exert themselves in the heat.

It's a stupid day for hiking unless you are a fit and active Aussie. Even then, it would be a better day for some cold beers watching other idiots exert themselves in the heat.

I thought everyday was a better day for some cold beers down under. :D

Yes. Okay if you're used to the conditions and know how to handle it and what to do. But if you're a foreigner with no experience hiking in that sort of heat you're asking for it.... I did a short hike in Adelaide and that wasn't even summer and I felt it.....

Yeah, the heat over the past week or so has been pretty intense. This time of year you get heat wave temperatures practically every day. My advice: don't come to Australia during summer.

Stupid day for hiking, and even worse to go running off alone. I have to wonder if he'd already fried his brain at that point.

Stupid day for hiking, and even worse to go running off alone. I have to wonder if he'd already fried his brain at that point.

To be fair, I do go for a three kilometer run every second day as a part of my new exercise regime. But then I know the area and I know that I can make it, even in the heat.

We lose tourists here all the time, too. Sometimes in groups. It's hard to get people who aren't familiar with the desert to take the challenge seriously.

It's just people who're unfamiliar with the outdoors in general. Here it's winter and if you're unprepared and something happens and you get stuck away from help you're a popsicle very quickly. I keep a whole winter survival kit in the pack of the car. Down bag, winter clothing, boots, gloves, emergency candles, solid fuel stove, epithet, you name it. All in one box in the back. I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it that one time..... when it's minus 20 and you car breaks down in the middle of the night you can freeze pretty quick....

I thought everyday was a better day for some cold beers down under. :D

Not all of us engage with the yeast urine. It can be as dangerous as the heat. I put in too many trochars for ascites to be an enthusiast. Efforts are made to assist tourists but they are free to make their own decisions. So many die swimming, walking, driving diving and fishing. How can we inform them of the risks? There is information available in leaflets at tourism offices. There are big signs up at beaches and other tourist places. It really is sad. Why can't every one drive on ths left hand side of the road? It truly is crazy. Now could be a good time to do it with the change to electric vehicles happening. The old ones could be off the road in a flash (better than in a crash). Left or right? Don't India and China drive on the left?

Last edited:
42c is about 107f which in my Mojave Desert experience is bothersome. I've functioned in worse, but carefully. Figure you need one quart or liter of water per hour of mild work. Less is very dangerous. Even adequate water with electrolytes won't help if your core temperature goes too high. Heat kills.

42c is about 107f which in my Mojave Desert experience is bothersome. I've functioned in worse, but carefully. Figure you need one quart or liter of water per hour of mild work. Less is very dangerous. Even adequate water with electrolytes won't help if your core temperature goes too high. Heat kills.

I took my final school examinations in Melbourne Australia when the temperature was 40C. The examination hall had a domed glass roof and the internal temperature was higher than 40C. As a special concession we were allowed to take our jackets and ties off. :)

I passed...

Having read Bill Bryson's In A Sunburned Country, I am not at all surprised by this.

The Australians seem like very nice, civilized people. Outdoorsy and good-looking. Great accent. They gave us Wicked Weasel bikinis, too.

But their country is f###ing terrifying, with innumerable ways to kill you.

Having read Bill Bryson's In A Sunburned Country, I am not at all surprised by this.

The Australians seem like very nice, civilized people. But their country is f###ing terrifying, with innumerable ways to kill you.

Not to mention they drive on the other side of the road..... it's unnatural! But at least their beer is cold. Ice. Cold.

I took my final school examinations in Melbourne Australia when the temperature was 40C. The examination hall had a domed glass roof and the internal temperature was higher than 40C. As a special concession we were allowed to take our jackets and ties off. :)

I passed...

...but not out, apparently!

Sydney hit 47C the other day (117F). That's pretty horrifying :-( Summer is not my favourite time of year.

Don't be telling porkies now, EB. You didn't warn them about ......

251f694e8dd6b686093972f8d62a68aa--drop-bear-the-killers.jpg

I've hiked in 42 degrees C here in the USA - 'cept we also had extreme humidity.

It was a 13-mile hike to Compton Peak and back, in the Shenandoah National Park. I also had a frightening encounter with an eastern timber rattle snake that day, and twice I had to step around.bear scat that was bigger then a dinner plate.

Although we can match the Aussies for bad hiking conditions - we only hit those temperatures for a few days a year - and not every year. Oz has it all the time.

Back