Insomniacs anonymous

I'm not suffering from insomnia but I do suffer from waking up at all hours of the night... does that count?
 
With all the insomniacs out tonight, figured what the hell. Bump!
 
Mighty kind of you to take on the task of entertaining us :cattail:
 
I'm up, again... I've got an internal alarm clock that goes off every night around 3am...
grrrrrrr....
 
I'm up, again... I've got an internal alarm clock that goes off every night around 3am...
grrrrrrr....

I've got an internal alarm clock that is programmable. If left to nothing else and I've had enough sleep, I'll wake up at 6AM every morning. If I have an alarm clock next to my bed, then regardless of how much sleep i get, I will wake up anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 minutes before the alarm clock to avoid hearing that damned sound. However, when the waking self sees the time, and still feels sleepy, I'll say "okay sleep for just a few more minutes, which is never satisfying and if anything i'm more tired when the alarm goes off.

Try this. bang the back of your head 6 times (for example) against your pillow before you go to sleep. repeat thinking the number 6 each time as you bang your head. don't think of any other numbers as you drift off to sleep. You should wake up at 6AM.
 
Last edited:
for anybody that has insomnia, I can relate. I've had insomnia for a lot of my life and tried all the tricks and even made up a couple.

if you're looking for solutions, try this:
first, you probably have too much caffeine in your diet. At one point I was drinking 10 cups of coffee a day, a cup of espresso in the morning and two 2-litre bottles of mountain dew (at the time, the highest caffeinated soda product on the market and wondering why I wasn't going to sleep for 2-3 days. I also had massive acid reflux (and that's related but besides the point).
possible solution: Whatever amount you're having, try to cut it down.
*If you are a slave to the coffee cup, and feel a slight unlocalized headache, try sipping a little coffee or tea before bed. You are probably having a caffeine withdrawal. appeasing that with just a sip will actually relax you enough to fall asleep.

second, it's possible you aren't allowing enough time for your body to wind down. You need to allow about 30 minutes to an hour for your body to relax before going to sleep.
possible solution: Withdraw yourself from all stimulus. Watching TV can sometimes be good, but it could backfire if it gets "too interesting" Too interesting can be something you really like that you get adrenalized and want to see more of, or it can be something that gets you angry which also makes you adrenalized. take a warm shower or better yet a warm bath and just soak it in. dress in baggy clothing or none if that's your preference. The point is to not wear anything that restricts blood flow which increases blood pressure and thus gives a false adrenaline rush. If the elastic on your underwear is too tight, don't wear it.
Forget about the office, forget about friends and relatives and all those things that get you excited. Relax, unwind, zone out.

The third is a possible solution by itself, look for an enjoyable movie. One that you can watch time and again. I prefer "Hitchhiker's guide to the universe" (the TV version). It's about 4 hours long. I've programmed myself that I just have to pop that into the VCR and within about 15 minutes, I'm in lala land. You don't want a movie that is too action packed with explosions nor too emotional and such, but if that's what you truly enjoy then try that.
I prefer my VCR to my DVD player because the DVD movies sometimes have a looping sound after the movie which will wake you up after you've fallen asleep. The VCR rewinds and shuts itself off. The point is, you want nothing with commercials, nothing that is distracting (from going to sleep) you want something that puts you in a relaxed happy place.

The trick to any trick you use is; if any part of you is thinking "this isn't going to work!" then it won't, because you are making yourself get a trickle of adrenaline which will keep your mind active to avoid sleep.

Oh, and sweet dreams. heh
 
Seems appropriate to bump this thread, as I have a sleep study happening today. Hi insomniacs
 
Seems appropriate to bump this thread, as I have a sleep study happening today. Hi insomniacs

Hi Tolyk!

I enjoy staying up late but I don't think I am an insomniac. I like the quiet that comes from everyone sleeping. I trade quiet for sleep every day :)
 
Hi Tolyk!

I enjoy staying up late but I don't think I am an insomniac. I like the quiet that comes from everyone sleeping. I trade quiet for sleep every day :)

Doing so willingly indicates that no, you are not an insomniac.

I barely slept last night, hooked up to the sleep study machine. It wasn't even that I comfortable, it was just enough to wake me constantly.
 
Hi. My name is *****, and I am an Insomniac. It has been at least 3 days since I last remember sleeping for longer than 4 hours at night.
Thank you.
 
Hi. My name is *****, and I am an Insomniac. It has been at least 3 days since I last remember sleeping for longer than 4 hours at night.
Thank you.

I didn't sleep last night... was horrible
 
I have an acute & distinct case of Work-Induced Insomnia... I work multiple jobs both day and night.
 
I get to try & revive this thread after nearly 4 months of slumber (sorry for the pun)
Let's also give Iceprincess a hand for guiding me here.
 
Doing so willingly indicates that no, you are not an insomniac.

I barely slept last night, hooked up to the sleep study machine. It wasn't even that I comfortable, it was just enough to wake me constantly.

How did your sleep study go? I'll be doing mine soon too. :mad:
 
Of all nights to stay awake, Christmas Eve is definitely one of them!
 
Back
Top