Over 50 Introduce Yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot cooler here in Canberra today. Warming up over the next few days, though.

It's been over a year since I was working... actually, that's not altogether true. I retired over a year ago. As for working, well, it's been a lot longer... :D

Yep me too. I resigned back in 2014 and just didn't get the urge to get another job even though I was head hunted. Discovered how much stuff was going on while I was at work all day, it was like another world.

Thankfully Melbourne is staying on the cooler side till next week. Hopefully we've had our week long hot spell for Summer. Then again there is Feb yet to go so I may have spoke too soon.

Which part of Canada? Been to your lovely country a number of times. You guys drink like us Aussies, although you guys aren't too good on the hot wings :D
Hey Dark Elf,

I live just outside of Toronto. Yes, we do enjoy our drink as much as the Aussies. I have met many Aussies and Kiwis in my travels. I have shared many a drink with them and have yet to meet one I did not like. Haven't had a chance to visit your wonderful country but it is on the bucket list.

Cheers.

Hey Dark Elf,

I live just outside of Toronto. Yes, we do enjoy our drink as much as the Aussies. I have met many Aussies and Kiwis in my travels. I have shared many a drink with them and have yet to meet one I did not like. Haven't had a chance to visit your wonderful country but it is on the bucket list.

Cheers.

Yep where you find an Aussie, a Kiwi is near by. We even end up on the same tours. It's like were joined at the hip.

I've been to Toronto and discovered you guys have trams like we do here in Melbourne and quite a multi-cultural community. Will be going to Canada to visit some friends. Also want to ride that Rocky Mountaineer train one more time this time do the reverse journey from Vancouver to Jasper.

Ok I'm back but who knows for how long.
the net has been spotty here at the new place.
I'm getting ethering set up for next month so I don't have to worry.
this has been driving me nuts.

How's everyone been??

Ok I'm back but who knows for how long.
the net has been spotty here at the new place.
I'm getting ethering set up for next month so I don't have to worry.
this has been driving me nuts.

How's everyone been??

I'd have someone look at your spotting internet, never know what you could catch, just remember to wash your hands after you've touched it. And it gave you nuts...if they're almonds that fine, if it's cashews well that's going to add a few calories.

Nice day here in Melbourne town. Looking forward to the finals of the Aussie Open. It's like turning back time with the Williams sisters and Fed vs Nadal. Can't beat quality.

I'd have someone look at your spotting internet, never know what you could catch, just remember to wash your hands after you've touched it. And it gave you nuts...if they're almonds that fine, if it's cashews well that's going to add a few calories.

Nice day here in Melbourne town. Looking forward to the finals of the Aussie Open. It's like turning back time with the Williams sisters and Fed vs Nadal. Can't beat quality.

LOL... I always remember to wash my hands cause you know how those viruses are.

I had out my Oz flag for Aussie day this week. Do I get points for that???

LOL... I always remember to wash my hands cause you know how those viruses are.

I had out my Oz flag for Aussie day this week. Do I get points for that???

They say cleanliness is close to godliness, but I guess that depends on what you were doing to make you dirty in the first place.

Well of course you get points, how many depends on where you were wearing it and what you had out :D

I discovered the easiest tourist thing to carry was flag pins so I have a few. Have one with the twin Aussie and US flags.

They say cleanliness is close to godliness, but I guess that depends on what you were doing to make you dirty in the first place.

Well of course you get points, how many depends on where you were wearing it and what you had out :D

I discovered the easiest tourist thing to carry was flag pins so I have a few. Have one with the twin Aussie and US flags.

Nope this is a full size (3x5) flag on a pole. I usually try to hang it out on Austin Day and I've also had it out for flag wave when the Coalition Forces are with us and also to celebrate a long time Lit friend who was a CSM Digger and just retired a year ago. He had in 30 years.

Nope this is a full size (3x5) flag on a pole. I usually try to hang it out on Austin Day and I've also had it out for flag wave when the Coalition Forces are with us and also to celebrate a long time Lit friend who was a CSM Digger and just retired a year ago. He had in 30 years.

So what's the connection between the Aussie flag and Austin Day? We don't do the flag pole thing here in Aussie land apart from being on govt buildings. Our most robust flag day is ANZAC Day. Australia Day is more of a party day.

So what's the connection between the Aussie flag and Austin Day? We don't do the flag pole thing here in Aussie land apart from being on govt buildings. Our most robust flag day is ANZAC Day. Australia Day is more of a party day.

Only auto correct will ever know why it called Aussie Day Austin Day.

And get my flag out for ANZAC Day too

Only auto correct will ever know why it called Aussie Day Austin Day.

And get my flag out for ANZAC Day too

May be it was using the English(American) spell checker :D

I see more of the US English coming into our written words. Lots of "Computer says Yes" going on.

Got my first proper pension payment today...now it feels real although seeing the word 'pension' next to the payment just seems a little odd, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Can start thinking of travel stuff now.

Got my first proper pension payment today...now it feels real although seeing the word 'pension' next to the payment just seems a little odd, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Can start thinking of travel stuff now.

Congrats. I got denied on my social security disability claim today. Missing a leg but they say I'm not blind or disabled, that I can go back to work even with kidney disease and neuropathy in my hands so they're stiff and cold all the time. Just found out its 9 months before an appeal can be heard and the appeal will take an additional 6 months.

Congrats. I got denied on my social security disability claim today. Missing a leg but they say I'm not blind or disabled, that I can go back to work even with kidney disease and neuropathy in my hands so they're stiff and cold all the time. Just found out its 9 months before an appeal can be heard and the appeal will take an additional 6 months.

Well my pension is all my own work, I don't qualify for a senior's govt pension nor any discounts on any utilities, rates, etc. Never received anything from my govt except the honour of paying tax even when retired. It's like I'm working again without having to go into work. So I'm a pensioner is word only.

See now in the system they probably have you down as 'capable of working' which doesn't mean you actually can just that you're 'capable' under their definition. Just like you're 'capable' of climbing Everest.

My mum is a proper pensioner and nearly 90 so she is invisible to the system. I now have to create an email and online account so she can claim for medical expenses otherwise they won't process her claims. Given the fact that generation when to WWII you'd reckon they would treat them better.

Well my pension is all my own work, I don't qualify for a senior's govt pension nor any discounts on any utilities, rates, etc. Never received anything from my govt except the honour of paying tax even when retired. It's like I'm working again without having to go into work. So I'm a pensioner is word only.

See now in the system they probably have you down as 'capable of working' which doesn't mean you actually can just that you're 'capable' under their definition. Just like you're 'capable' of climbing Everest.

My mum is a proper pensioner and nearly 90 so she is invisible to the system. I now have to create an email and online account so she can claim for medical expenses otherwise they won't process her claims. Given the fact that generation when to WWII you'd reckon they would treat them better.
Yeah that sucks. Last visit to the Dr I found out insurance is denying my prosthesis on the basis I don't qualify for that either. The system is rigged.

Yeah that sucks. Last visit to the Dr I found out insurance is denying my prosthesis on the basis I don't qualify for that either. The system is rigged.

You guys have a crazy health system. Seems to only work for those who can afford to pay. Ours is ok but if you're in the public system needing an operation well you have a long wait time. Private health insurance companies here don't have the same power over people needing treatment. Nobody is denied treatment based on how much they can afford to pay you just may have to wait longer. The UK probably has the best system. France has a good system but just about everything is taxed at different levels to pay for it.

You guys have a crazy health system. Seems to only work for those who can afford to pay. Ours is ok but if you're in the public system needing an operation well you have a long wait time. Private health insurance companies here don't have the same power over people needing treatment. Nobody is denied treatment based on how much they can afford to pay you just may have to wait longer. The UK probably has the best system. France has a good system but just about everything is taxed at different levels to pay for it.
I applied for Medicare in Florida and was denied because I wasn't in hospice with less than 6 months to live. I appealed and they said they want social security disability to pay for my hospital stay. Well the jokes on them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back