Panties

Of course, if you really want to offend people, but while using words that are not in the least bit offensive, you have to work "niggardly" into your conversation.

Seems a while back, maybe in Texas, there was a local politician or some such who used that word, and because a lot of people weren't edjamacated enough to know what it meant, he had to resign.
 
HERE may help with any confusion.

Obviously, it's down to some sort of English contraction.
Mrs Bloomer has a lot to answer for. . . .
 
Last edited:
Speaking as a British writer here on the site, I prefer not to use the word 'knickers'; I think being married to an American lady for so long has kind of eroded the word out of my personal lexicon, and besides, to me, the word 'panties' sounds a lot more feminine and 'girly' than 'Knickers' (which, for some reason has always sounded vaguely coarse to me, and before you ask, I don't know why), 'Bloomers', 'underwear', 'smalls', and various other equally gloomy euphemism's for ladies underthings. My own 'Lady of the House and Mistress of my Destiny' (her words) gets that pursed-lip look when I use the word 'knickers', as she knows it's usually followed by a 'lady-parts' joke from my army friends, who are no longer allowed in the house in case they teach the dogs bad habits...

In my case, I follow my wife's lead, because the list of words I find acceptable for use in polite company are steadily being red-penned and disallowed over the years anyway; her frequent comment, after I've used a word she either finds unacceptable or incomprehensible, is 'where were you dragged up?" My reply 'Eton College, dear' just curls her lip, followed by a comment along the lines of 'my, how standards have fallen recently...

I think encountering "knickers" for panties in a story will throw almost any American reader out of the story.
 
I think encountering "knickers" for panties in a story will throw almost any American reader out of the story.

Not necessarily. I used the word several times in a story about an English woman on vacation in Dayton. No one said anything about it. Context and all that.
 
Nelly No Knickers - my mother's expression for a loose woman.

In Kent, women used to be told not to wear a Red Hat because locally "A red hat means no knickers", a signal that she is going commando and on the prowl.

The local branches of the Red Hat Society don't care!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Society

Kent is also the home of the Loose Women's Institute:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/loose-womens-institute

And the Loose Women's Morris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_2MIx1OeCU
 
I think encountering "knickers" for panties in a story will throw almost any American reader out of the story.

I don't know, I think the word sounds very naughty/racy, I imagine sexy tap panty style things that a girl would wear on a date where she knows her beau is going to get lucky.
 
I once knew a man from Kent.

You know there are two definitions?

A Man/Maid of Kent was born South and East of the River Medway.

A Kentish Man/Maid was born North and West of the River Medway.

My daughters were born Maids of Kent.

I'm neither Kent nor Kentish since I was born in Wales. I am descended from several Maids of Kent but I have to go back to the 18th Century for them.
 
"Moist" is a bad word now? What is the politically correct substitute, damp? Wet? Sopping?

As best I can tell, for the crowd in question, the politically correct version is Arid.

Screw political correctness.it should never be mentioned on an erotica site, except possibly as a belief held by victims in noncon stories.
 
Those who hate Panties or Panty as a word, I wonder what they'd say about 'Thongs'.

I think its a little prudish. Solely, my opinion, though.
 
I think encountering "knickers" for panties in a story will throw almost any American reader out of the story.

Not necessarily. I used the word several times in a story about an English woman on vacation in Dayton. No one said anything about it. Context and all that.

I have used 'panties' precisely because it sounded naughty and sexy and a little demeaning :devil: However I have had requests from Americans to use 'knickers' as sounding exotic!

In Kent, women used to be told not to wear a Red Hat because locally "A red hat means no knickers", a signal that she is going commando and on the prowl.

The local branches of the Red Hat Society don't care!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Society
You only have to check my avatar to realise, that I am always 'all fur coat and no knickers' ;)

red-hat-siamese-cat_thumb.jpg
 
Late to this but -- I never use the word "panties" myself when speaking. It seems pretty juvenile. However, I would easily use it in a story if it seemed the right word.
 
A brief bit of research seems to point at the word "Panties" being a fore-shortened form of "Pantaloon" (from the French (what else?)).
 
Back
Top