Words matter

I usually just say she and her when referring to transgender women. I know I should probably ask what pronouns the person would like me to use. It just doesn't matter to me that much. I'm going to like you for your personality any way. If we really really like each other, it definitely won't matter what you have or had in that region.
I apologize, I digress. I don't use that word or any other I've seen used to describe transgender women.
 
"Ask a trans woman" Amelia posted this today regarding the use of derogatory words. I completely agree with her reasoning

http://youtu.be/nm0O6I5vCtc

I don't see anything wrong with her reasoning at all.

However, sometimes the best thing to do is to just let it go. If you don't like the word, yet others insist on using them, you have a choice. Either leave or learn to not let it phase you.

For instance in my case, I do NOT like "queer", and never will. I've heard all sorts of justifications for it. Some say it is re-claiming the word. Some even say it is a better word for LGBT people because it can be used more generically such as including lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgendered, etc.

Regardless, I don't like it. I would never support any group that likes to use that word. I'm not going to get upset about it. I simply distance myself from such groups or individuals...

I do defend their right to use it; I just cannot relate to it. To their credit, we have to allow people to use whatever vocabularies or explanations they wish to give on any topic. Sure debate it if you will, but to try to shut down opinions different than your own, simply makes one look intolerant.

The LGBT community spends way to much time censoring others especially within the community that do not tow the standard vocabularies & opinions. At my age, I really don't care because I never was a groupy with the LGBT world in the first place, but for others it can be frustrating. They may be alienated from the very community that wants the extra involvement from them.
 
Last edited:
I have no issue with transgendered people at all. I never have. I have no idea about it really and therefore feel ok tell me about it. I do know it is a hard road sometimes but I have no place to judge. The video was informative.
 
Back
Top