Over used words...

Really? Is there really no one else who recognizes what the OP really asked about? Listing a word that appears once in every story is perhaps a favorite but not really over used now, is it? I think this discussion should really be limited to words we use so often, we really don't even see that we used it. It's really a blessing that I don't have that problem.

Really? Is there really no one else who recognizes what the OP really asked about? Listing a word that appears once in every story is perhaps a favorite but not really over used now, is it? I think this discussion should really be limited to words we use so often, we really don't even see that we used it. It's really a blessing that I don't have that problem.

The OP asked about overused words, but then proceeded to use what I consider tired and overused figures of speech as examples. Kind of the same thing, but kind of not.

It's understandable that this has caused some confusion.

Last edited:
The OP asked about overused words, but then proceeded to use what I consider tired and overused figures of speech as examples. Kind of the same thing, but kind of not.

It's understandable that this has caused some confusion.

Oh, really? ;) :D

Oh, really? ;) :D

Really! Really really really!

But this thread did make me go and dig up an old thread, with this post from PennLady:

Avoid the use of very, really, finally, actually, suddenly and literally
These words are not necessary; they are redundant. Part of my aversion stems from a high school English teacher who despised the word "very," and when you think about it, with good reason. It's a crutch, allowing you to avoid using better words. But you're a writer -- stretch out, if only to get the thesaurus.

If something is "very important," it is "vital." (better word)
If something is "very sad," it is "tragic." (or perhaps, sorrowful)
If something is "very big," it is "huge."

The same goes for really, finally, etc. Be decisive. If something costs a lot of money, it is expensive. "Really expensive" adds nothing to the description. If you need more than "expensive," find another word, don’t just add these weak qualifiers.

If you have a character who has been waiting for something, you don't need "finally" to tell the reader it's happened. We know -- we've been following as the character as they have waited, and so once the action occurs, we know it's "finally" occurred.

"Literally" is another weak addition (worse is: quite literally). If something happens, say so -- again, be decisive and sure in your writing.

And then this post from PacoFear on the same thread:

Nice point, PennLady.

In my book, the same holds true going the other way with wussy equivocations like slightly, lightly, almost, mostly, rather, and nearly.

Folks, the love of your life doesn't have "almost perfect blue eyes." S/he has "perfect blue eyes." The same goes for his "rather deep voice" or her "nearly flawless legs."

Writing is our chance to be bold, gang. Lose the weasel words.

Last edited:
i've noticed "obscure" receiving some mild abuse lately.

hands off my lovely words, ye cretins!

A little off topic: perhaps a sign of the times, but "political scandal" is annoying me. Not just the frequency of these affairs, but the fact that the overused description implies a sort of free pass. As though, the egregious activity is only a violation of political concerns, rather than a hypocritical ethical failure.

A little off topic: perhaps a sign of the times, but "political scandal" is annoying me. Not just the frequency of these affairs, but the fact that the overused description implies a sort of free pass. As though, the egregious activity is only a violation of political concerns, rather than a hypocritical ethical failure.

I don't see it in those terms at all. I see it as describing a scandal that has political issues involved--thus involving not just personal matters but matters of public trust and effect. So I don't see the term as any sort of free pass. Just the opposite.

"Founding Fathers" as a justification for all sorts of craziness those learned revolutionaries would never support.

Outpouring - as in outpouring of support, outpouring of emotion, outpouring of grief, etc

Do any of you have a word or words that just makes you cringe because it seems to be used over and over and over?

I have two...(awakening) "His awakening," "Her awakening," "The awakening," "Their awakening." This word seems to be in at least 70% of every title known to man.

The other...(betrayed) "her body betrayed her," his cock betrayed him,"...Eeek, sometimes I want to scream.

Any others?

Womanhood
Manhood
and to show that where you're from matters:-
The hood of a car- it's the bonnet!

AND and THAT are the words I avoid. Plus all the static auxillary verbs. Getting rid of THAT eliminates most auxillary verbs.

AND and THAT are the words I avoid. Plus all the static auxillary verbs. Getting rid of THAT eliminates most auxillary verbs.

Every story I write has many instances of cock and pussy.

Since Jim isn't using "and" or "that," they're available for you to use. Why not let "and" replace "cock" and "that" replace "pussy" every now and again to inject a little variety into your writing?

Since Jim isn't using "and" or "that," they're available for you to use. Why not let "and" replace "cock" and "that" replace "pussy" every now and again to inject a little variety into your writing?

Your swollen "and" in my wet "that" :devil:

:D

Your swollen "and" in my wet "that" :devil:

No TIO, yuh got it wrong. Its 'THIS' 'AND' 'THAT'. Plus 'THE OTHER' if the subject nouns ends in consonants and includes three or more contestants.

No TIO, yuh got it wrong. Its 'THIS' 'AND' 'THAT'. Plus 'THE OTHER' if the subject nouns ends in consonants.

I thought you were using "this," so I didn't recommend that Richard use that "this' or even "the other." But if you're not busy with them, then Richard can use them or those for this and that or even the other.

What Maj does with them is up to her; she's a respomsible adult and can do what ever she wants with this and that, and even do the other, if she really wants to.

I thought you were using "this," so I didn't recommend that Richard use that "this' or even "the other." But if you're not busy with them, then Richard can use them or those for this and that or even the other.

What Maj does with them is up to her; she's a respomsible adult and can do what ever she wants with this and that, and even do the other, if she really wants to.

I do. ;):kiss:

I like,Totally Hate when people overuse "like" and "totally". It's like, totally unnecessary, and makes you sound totally illiterate. I'm like , TOTALLY glad I don't do it!!!

Back