Isolated Blurt Thread Again

A life well lived is always a blessing, Ogg.

Happy Birthday to your bride.

She wanted a day out today in the open air. The weather didn't cooperate. We went to Dover, stood on the White Cliffs facing the wind and rain, and couldn't see more than a hundred yards beyond the harbour. Normally we would see France clearly.

We stood for about thirty seconds before rushing back to the National Trust's White Cliffs cafe for a hot lunch and coffee. Later we went to Dover's Christmas Market before visiting friends for more coffee.

The weather on the return journey was even worse. The outside temperature varied between 1 and 3 C.

Back home? More coffee in a warm house as the wind whistled around.

We'll go back to Dover in the Spring, and maybe cross to France for a meal. Why go to a French restaurant in England when there are dozens of them in Calais or Boulogne?

It is increasingly difficult (if not downright impossible) to find anyplace on the internet where one may exercise First Amendment rights.

Main stream media has led the way in this demonstration of hypocrisy, intolerance and authoritarianism.

If the Internet Web site is privately owned, the first amendment doesn't apply. If you give two thoughts about the rights of those you are haranguing in applying your first amendment rights, maybe you'll consider not ranting at them.

It is increasingly difficult (if not downright impossible) to find anyplace on the internet where one may exercise First Amendment rights.

Main stream media has led the way in this demonstration of hypocrisy, intolerance and authoritarianism.

If the Internet Web site is privately owned, the first amendment doesn't apply. If you give two thoughts about the rights of those you are haranguing in applying your first amendment rights, maybe you'll consider not ranting at them.

In the UK we don't have the First Amendment. We do have free speech but also laws against 'hate speech' which are rarely enforced.

What happens is in the UK that anyone who puts forward a political message, no matter how mild and non-contentious, is likely to attract vitiolic abuse by anonymous. Locally a blog about our town that has been running for five years with nearly 20,000 followers has just closed because the abuse has been constant, personal and threatening to the founder and his wider family, including threats posted through his letterbox.

Anonymous can wreck almost any initiative with no consequences. The hatred is far worse online than it ever was face to face.

But vandalism and graffiti cost us significant amounts of money each year:

It took fifteen years of campaigning and fund-raising to have public toilets built by a local children's play area. They were vandalised hours before the official opening, and covered with graffiti within a week. During the first year the repairs and unnecessary cleaning added 25% to the budgetted costs of maintenance. When the blogger mentioned above suggested that the vandals' actions were anti-social and should stop? The anonymous online abuse became far worse.

That's positively incoherent and the mother of all non sequiturs. That may be one of the most hilarious word and logic jumbles I've ever seen around here. Reading comprehension is obviously not one of your strong suits.

Do you want to try it again? If so, the use of elementary logic and English would help.

Last edited:
That may be one of the most hilarious word and logic jumbles I've ever seen around here. Reading comprehension is obviously not one of your strong suits.

Do you want to try it again? If so, the use of elementary logic and English would help.

It's perfectly clear to me. Maybe the shoe should be on the other foot.

I had a lousy day and 2018 was going out on a particularly sour note, and I thought I'd get on the AH to blurt my hopes that 2019 might start better.

Then I remembered the blurts from this year from people dealing with health, financial, and legal issues and my piddling little problems didn't seem so bad. So to all you Authors out there going through some shit, I wish you a better 2019 than mine. Happy New Year.

I had a lousy day and 2018 was going out on a particularly sour note, and I thought I'd get on the AH to blurt my hopes that 2019 might start better.

Then I remembered the blurts from this year from people dealing with health, financial, and legal issues and my piddling little problems didn't seem so bad. So to all you Authors out there going through some shit, I wish you a better 2019 than mine. Happy New Year.
That's a bummer, mate; but you're right, there's always someone worse off than yourself. Keep on keeping on, and remember, it's really only another day. The year bit is all bullshit, to sell calendars :).

:rose:

Sunday, 20 January - Monday, 21 January

Double Feature Lunar Eclipse and Supermoon This Month Simultaneously

by Anthony Watts

"The 'supermoon bloodmoon lunar eclipse' is coming to North and South America, as well and the UK and parts of Eastern Europe this month. The total lunar eclipse will start late on Sunday, Jan. 20, and finish early on Monday, Jan. 21, and because it occurs during a 'supermoon', it will appear about 14% bigger than normal.

It will also be one of the few times when you’ll be able to photograph the moon and stars simultaneously. While it will be a deep blood red, the contrast difference will be low enough that cameras will be able to pick up stars in the background..."

lots more...

"What's New" from Harvard Smithsonian Astrophysics

If a lady owns more than one butt plug, doers that make her anal? :D

An interesting thing about what the Network people says is coverage, and what driving 6000 miles can demonstrate:

See here

I can’t be the only person that visualizes anal sex when I hear the word cocktail?
🌹Kant👠👠👠

I can’t be the only person that visualizes anal sex when I hear the word cocktail?
🌹Kant👠👠👠

It always sounds old fashioned to me. I picture a nightclub in a black and white movie starring Cary Grant or someone like that.

Ancient laws

The town of Cowbridge in South Wales had a set of ordinances, ancient but rewritten in 1610. Ordinance 47 reads:

No manner of burgess, chencer [trader], nor inhabitant of the said town shall keep no licentious naughtypacks, bawdry, or suspected harlots, vagabonds nor loiterers in their houses, upon pain of ten shillings.

Ten shillings was a considerable sum in 1610. I wonder why the town passed that resolution. They must have had naughtypacks at the time.

Other towns were more accommodating. They had Grope Cunt Lanes and similarly named places for prostitutes to ply their trade (and pay their taxes!).

Locally, in 2004 my town updated its by-laws. Until then it was against the law for men and women to use the same beach for swimming after 7 am, and at all times swimmers must wear the 'university costume' with three inch long arms and legs (which could be hired from the council's beach staff at three pence a day - the disadvantage was that each had ***** Urban District Council displayed prominently on the back).

My town currently has its naughtypacks but the local magistrates charge more than ten shillings for soliciting in the street.

Back