I Am So SICK of F***ing Authors

Do We Need An Author Block Option

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs!

You can express yourself as an asshole without breaking any eggs at all.

To return to serious discussion:

You are asking for a change to this site. Many of us have been seeking changes to this site for over a decade, mainly to implement features that are supposed to be here but are not, or are here but don't work.

Your probability of achieving any significant change is as close to zero as it can be.

Some of us would like changes to the descriptions of the different forums including the General Board; and changes to the category descriptions that more accurately reflect the stories that are popular in each category.

We're still waiting. Join the back of the queue.

Last edited:
I can suggest what goes where. I don't have the final say..

Do you seriously think every story gets read in its entirety before the post button is hit?

You decided you should post a thread on the General Board.

I didn't move it here. It was moved because it was in the wrong place. You made the wrong choice - a similar choice that you are criticising authors for.

And quite clearly the mod didn't understand I was looking for a site improvement and not a category discussion with authors.

Hopefully if the mods are reading this it'll get moved back where the READERS will perhaps contribute

Do you seriously think every story gets read in its entirety before the post button is hit?

And quite clearly the mod didn't understand I was looking for a site improvement and not a category discussion with authors.

Hopefully if the mods are reading this it'll get moved back where the READERS will perhaps contribute

Readers? On the General Board? What planet are you on?

Speaking as a relative newcomer, the categories are arbitrary and overlap in ways that are baffling. There are also too many of them for a first-time author to keep track of. It's too late for this, but I'd wipe out about half the categories and replace them with tags.

Laurel and Manu have indicated that the long-term plan is to move to a tag-based system. But I have no idea when that's due to happen.

Laurel and Manu have indicated that the long-term plan is to move to a tag-based system. But I have no idea when that's due to happen.

I've heard soon for the last two or three years.

Back in the day when I posted my first stories there were any tags required. Years later there was suddenly a deal below each story asking that tags be added and submitted. I went through and did all my stories. I still have six or seven with the line still asking for tags under them. Maybe one day.

A poll for Gordo

1. Do you realize that the story category is determined by Laurel, not by the author?

2. Do you realize that some story categories trump all the others? (Incest is one.)

3. Do you realize that you could keep a window open on your computer, and whenever you discover an author that pisses you off for writing a non-formulaic story that spans several different categories, you could type in that author's name on a list, and you could alphabetize that list and refer to it when you're cruising for stories?

4. Do you realize that this is a free site, and complaining about free content makes you look childish?

5. Have you purchased any books lately? (ebooks or paper books.)

A poll for Gordo

1. Do you realize that the story category is determined by Laurel, not by the author?

2. Do you realize that some story categories trump all the others? (Incest is one.)

3. Do you realize that you could keep a window open on your computer, and whenever you discover an author that pisses you off for writing a non-formulaic story that spans several different categories, you could type in that author's name on a list, and you could alphabetize that list and refer to it when you're cruising for stories?

4. Do you realize that this is a free site, and complaining about free content makes you look childish?

5. Have you purchased any books lately? (ebooks or paper books.)

1/ Again I would find it hard to believe that Laurel reads EVERY story here and chooses the category. I would think there are several people and only the stories that are problematic would get referred to her. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

2/ Good to know but I doubt that because frequently there are stories there that are clearly NOT incest.

3/ Or I could push a button and never have to read their drek again.

4/ Yes I realize the site is free and so is my feedback that I frequently give to authors. Including those that should just quit! I have been reading here since the early 2000's. Hands down Lit is my favourite site on the internet.

5/ I have around 50 unread books in my Kindle purchased from Amazon in the last couple of months(av $3-$4). I spend around $50-60 at Chapters every month purchasing paperbacks and when financial circumstances have dictated during my life I would use the library and check out 14-20 books every two weeks. I also spend around 2-3 hours daily reading on Lit and other story boards. I'm semi-retired and have time on my hands (yes I'm sure some of you are saying "Too Much Time")
Did I mention newspapers and magazines?

I doubt there are many here that could match that love of reading :)

All of which has nothing to do with the idea of a get this Idiot out of my life button!

...All of which has nothing to do with the idea of a get this Idiot out of my life button!

My thought on #5 was that you might have better luck on commercial sites where authors market their works to a more segmented audience.

I agree there's a lot of dreck on this site, but to me, it's the formulaic stories that stick to one particular category that are the offenders. I like reality-based fiction, and real life does not fall into neat categories. It gets complicated, and the complications are sometimes the most interesting parts.

Good luck with your hater button. :)

(BTW, I'm sure I would be on your "hater" list. My summer lovin story from last year was placed in incest, but the incest doesn't occur till the end of the story. The first 3/4's of the story is hetero and lesbian sex, and the focus of the story is non consent. I wrote it that way because it was based on real life.)

Last edited:
General Board: Want to talk about something not covered anywhere else? Try this board!

i don't see a forum where you can ask for improvements so it appears the above pretty much covers it. I'm not interested in a discussion between authors and readers I'm asking for an improvement.

I see the discussion has been moved to the AH and while I disagree perhaps we'll educate some of those idiotic authors.

Nice of you to jump this thread into a forum where no one really cares about site stories. Being so anal about forum category description must've been really helpful.

Does this make you an idiot for not testing the category waters beforehand?

1/ Again I would find it hard to believe that Laurel reads EVERY story here and chooses the category. I would think there are several people and only the stories that are problematic would get referred to her. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

According to Laurel herself, she is the only one checking stories. She is also the one who has the last word on category and everything else related to stories.

This isn't like a forum post/wall post where the content is displayed. It's the content that an ignore function is designed to hide.

You're asking for every single page on the story side to be coded to access a personal ignore list and modify pages before display so you don't accidentally click on a story by an author you forgot you don't like.

You can do this yourself by downloading one of the many customizable word replacing extensions/add-ons for your browser of choice. Add the names of the authors you don't like, and choose "ASSHOLE AUTHOR DO NOT READ" as the replacement word.

You never see the author's name again, and you can't miss the replacement telling you that they suck, so you'll never accidentally click on the story.

Nice of you to jump this thread into a forum where no one really cares about site stories. Being so anal about forum category description must've been really helpful.

Does this make you an idiot for not testing the category waters beforehand?

Your post makes no sense whatsoever.

The discussion is and should be about an ignore button for the readers to weed out garbage authors.

I don't give a shit about category definitions I just want to be able to block authors that post crap or cross lines DELIBERATELY in posting stories that don't belong. These would be extreme cases BTW I couldn't be bothered with most of them.

You did read the post a ways back where an author admitted throwing his crap into the wrong place just to bait the readers. I'd happily block an idiot like him.

It's nice (not really) that some of you keep trying to deflect the issue by trying to claim I picked the wrong category on the forum but that is bullshit. I read them and based on what I wanted to accomplish picked the most appropriate forum.

So site improvement talk. Button to block asshole authors. Results: authors hostile, defensive and trying to deflect.

Then you must truly feel for those who're reading this silly thread which will have no impact whatsoever.

You did read the post a ways back where an author admitted throwing his crap into the wrong place just to bait the readers. I'd happily block an idiot like him.

And morons like you get easily baited.

What are you? 12?

This isn't like a forum post/wall post where the content is displayed. It's the content that an ignore function is designed to hide.

You're asking for every single page on the story side to be coded to access a personal ignore list and modify pages before display so you don't accidentally click on a story by an author you forgot you don't like.

You can do this yourself by downloading one of the many customizable word replacing extensions/add-ons for your browser of choice. Add the names of the authors you don't like, and choose "ASSHOLE AUTHOR DO NOT READ" as the replacement word.

You never see the author's name again, and you can't miss the replacement telling you that they suck, so you'll never accidentally click on the story.

This forum software has an ignore option available and the main site is coded for favourite author. It's just a small exension to the coding to scan a list of blocked authors and not display their stories. Not very difficult at all.

Then you must truly feel for those who're reading this silly thread which will have no impact whatsoever.

And yet here you are...over and over.

So if I ask and possibly get or I don't ask and never get. One outcome has possibilities! It's a start.

And morons like you get easily baited.

What are you? 12?

It's been 15 years of reading here. Easily baited? I think not.

And before anyone else starts to tell me how difficult this would be I run over 1500 websites including several forums. I've got a pretty good handle on just how difficult it would be.

Blocking an authors complete story file is going to cause you to miss out on some very good stories because of one Category screw up that the author might not even have control over.

Sounds pretty harsh and nitpicking to me but then again.... :rolleyes:

ETA: The forum side and the story sides of this site are two separate and totally different deals. I don't think you have nearly the handle on what it would take to do what you want as you think you do. The favorites list is a one shot deal and connects to either the authors name or the story name for that list. Using that to cross out an author and all their stories won't work and the coding to change it would be monstrous.

Last edited:
The favorite author list only comes into play when you click on it yourself and follow the links there. It's a dedicated page that has no other purpose, and doesn't change any other page on the site.

It's not even remotely the same animal.

The forum ignore could double as the story-side ignore database, thus not requiring a new database row, but that still requires changing the coding on every single page on the story side to check that database and then modify the content before display.

Are any of your 1500 websites one of the top 2500 traffic websites in the U.S.?

Tiny snippets of code add up fast when they're accessed that many times.

Last edited:
The favorite author list only comes into play when you click on it yourself and follow the links there. It's a dedicated page that has no other purpose, and doesn't change any other page on the site.

It's not even remotely the same animal.

The forum ignore could double as the story-side ignore database, thus not requiring a new database row, but that still requires changing the coding on every single page on the story side to check that database and then modify the content before display.

Are any of your 1500 websites one of the top 2500 traffic websites in the U.S.?

Tiny snippets of code add up fast when they're accessed that many times.

Technically Lit is 2,611 and that is impressive. As for the fav story you're right but the story page is automatically coded by the scripts. Although I haven't seen the coding used for the fav adding a segment that pops an ignore button and stores that in a DB that gets scanned before the page is formed. You would ignore by Author not by story. Hell even a flat file could handle that. You can run a script every few months eliminating files for readers that haven't logged in for a certain period to keep it lean.

You're right about the snippets on a site this popular but then again any improvement you make comes at some cost. There would be a few MS loss in page response but it should be minimal.

One other consideration is that a lot of the anons that we all hate might register to take advantage of it. Or then again maybe they just love complaining it's hard to tell at times.

Learin's post made perfect sense. You tried posting this thread to the General Board first. It only takes about three minutes to figure out that most on the GB don't even know Lit. has a story file. So the "going to the wrong category" that rebounds on you is you going to the wrong forum to post the thread to begin with. (duh)

You post that you run 1,500 Web sites. Sounds like you need to add one to your personal liking to that for erotica stories.

I think there's a whole hell of a lot of basic cleanup work that should be done to this site before they get around to your personal quirk (or mine) enhancement ideas.

Last edited:
Learin's post made perfect sense. You tried posting this thread to the General Board first. It only takes about three minutes to figure out that most on the GB don't even know Lit. has a story file. So the "going to the wrong category" that rebounds on you is you going to the wrong forum to post the thread to begin with. (duh)

OK bright boy. Go down the forum descriptions list with the thought in mind of looking for a forum for posting improvement suggestions or bug issues. Many forums have that for a category. See which forum stands out. As to what's in there or what anyone in there is doing isn't something I would waste time on. I don't care.

I don't give a shit how you or anyone else would have done it that's what I was doing and based on that it was the right forum. Quit trying to deflect the issue.

I think there's a whole hell of a lot of basic cleanup work that should be done to this site before they get around to your personal quirk (or mine) enhancement ideas.

Agreed but it's worth asking for.

OK bright boy. Go down the forum descriptions list with the thought in mind of looking for a forum for posting improvement suggestions or bug issues. Many forums have that for a category. See which forum stands out. As to what's in there or what anyone in there is doing isn't something I would waste time on. I don't care.

I don't give a shit how you or anyone else would have done it that's what I was doing and based on that it was the right forum. Quit trying to deflect the issue.

Agreed but it's worth asking for.

I can tell you don't give a shit what anyone else thinks. :D I've seen your silly rants before.

I can also tell that after four years on the forum, you don't know one forum from the other. Which to me is a lot more hilarious and lame than not getting the category right (in your eyes) for a complex-theme story. :D

I can tell you don't give a shit what anyone else thinks. :D I've seen your silly rants before.

Yeah I remember that was you defending the guy that was posting plegiarized stories.

Never did figure out your angle on that one.

Bad old me outing him. You'd think an author would be in favour of catching assholes like that but not you. Based on your stories I figured he had to be one of your butt buddies the way you were sucking up (up may be optional) to him.

Thanks to Laurel for taking care of him once I reported it. If Laurel took down the story it wasn't rant was it.

Yeah I remember that was you defending the guy that was posting plegiarized stories.

Well, no, you wouldn't have remembered it correctly that way. But then you seem to think real strange anyway. (Take a look at your poll results so far. That pretty much says it all. :D)

Back