Seldom Used Words (Cont'd)

Thank you, Og, and Handley, for giving me that glimpse into your childhood television shows. I have a few American favorites of my own like Engineer Bill and Captain Kangaroo.

This is new to me and I live in the area;

Nadene - noun a group of related American Indian languages spoken in parts of western North American from Alaska to northern Mexico
 
Og, I must apologize for not thanking you for answering my question about namby-pamby and Jonathan Swift. It was very interesting and I appreciate the information very much. I guess I got side-tracked by the kids' TV shows.

nacre - noun MOTHER-OF-PEARL
 
Good day, everyone. I am almost done with the Ns and thinking of starting this thread over from M to A with my name as the OP, once again.

nacelle - noun an enclosed shelter on an airplane for an engine or sometimes for the crew
 
Good day, everyone. I am almost done with the Ns and thinking of starting this thread over from M to A with my name as the OP, once again.

nacelle - noun an enclosed shelter on an airplane for an engine or sometimes for the crew

Your definition is a little too sparse, Madam.
A jet engine, particularly when 'hung' from the wing as in a modern Aeroplane, requires it's incoming air to be 'formed'. The shape of the nacelle, which is the forward part of the engine casing, provides this function.
The word also describes an "add-on" bit which provides a specific function. A good example is the nacelle upon which (or rather, in which) is mounted the headlight of a Triumph motor-bike. See here.

The word comes from the French, to do with a small boat.
 
Thanks, Handley, for that nice explanation of nacelle. My dictionary is limited, I agree.

The last two words of N are nabob, which we have covered in the past, and nab.
Although not seldom-used, I am too busy to start the new thread today, so here it is;

nab - vt 1. to catch or seize in arrest: APPREHEND 2. to seize suddenly
 
...

nab - vt 1. to catch or seize in arrest: APPREHEND 2. to seize suddenly

Hist Slang:

Nab - noun 1. The head; 2. the head of a stick; 3. a hat; 4. a fop; 5. one who 'nabs'.

Nab - verb as AllardChardon's post and - 2. it soon became a general verb of action for taking - see Nab the rust, Nab the stifles; 3. Combining noun and verb - I'll nab ye! = I'll take your hat; 4. to steal, seize; 5. to cog a dice (make the loaded dice show only favoured sides); 6. to snatch at something; 7. to detect an incident; and other less common uses.

Nab the rust - To take offence

Nab the stifles - To be hanged.
 
...

This is new to me and I live in the area;

Nadene - noun a group of related American Indian languages spoken in parts of western North American from Alaska to northern Mexico

Nadene is also a variant of the female name Nadine which comes from a Russian word meaning "Hope".
 
Og, it is amazing how a little word like nab can have so many meanings.

Well, this is the end of this part of the thread. I am going to start a new one from M to A with me as the OP, as it was in the beginning, before I went on my extended trip back East.

Of course, I hope to see all of you over there. Thanks, again, for being great participants.
 
naffin (noun) - One who is almost an idiot.

Depraved and Insulting English. I wonder if calling someone a naffin is damning with faint praise or feinting with praiseworthy damnation....
 
ControllingKink, that is a great word, but I really wish you would join my newer Seldom-used words thread, so everyone else can enjoy it, too. It is called Seldom-used Words - M to A, and will hopefully make it all the way to A before it gets shut down for being too popular, like my first thread. Love, AllardChardon
 
Back
Top