Boundaries (closed)

They jumped into the car and headed out. "I never pictured myself driving around in a truck, but I guess you are right. My little sports car will not do so well on the ranch. I guess that is something else you can show me..... where to find a dealership to buy a truck."

He got onto the road and headed toward town. This was going to take some getting used to. Twenty minutes to town meant that everything had to be planned out in advance. It wasn't like he could just run down to the corner like he had in the city.

When they got into town he looked around for a place to eat. "So, what would you recommend? Is there a place here in town that you like? Obviously I don't know anything about them. Or, we could just go to the grocery store, buy some things and I could cook dinner for you. Your choice, because you have been such a great help and have been so nice to me."
 
Laura suggested they stop into Kip's diner. She told Jason that Kip was the local curmudgeon. He knew everything about everybody. She offered that it was best to meet Kip head on before Kip invented stories to tell.

Several locals were planted on the barstools shooting the breeze with Kip. Only a few of the booths along the front window were taken. The place was not full but the cooks in the kitchen were busy.

The waitress looked them over and said, "Sit where ever you like"
 
Jason followed Laura to a booth and waited until she was seated to slide into the booth. He looked around to take it all in. He felt as if he was in the Twilight Zone. Surely, Rod Serling was going to appear at any moment.

"So, this is the place with all of the scuttlebutt." Jason noticed that a lot of the people were looking in their direction. Most of them didn't look directly, but rather out of the corner of their eyes.

"Tell me Laura.... the people around here.... are they friendly, or am I going to be spending an awful lot of time around here being lonely?" He smiled at her. "Of course, you will be around for a while, I hope."
 
Laura shrugged her shoulders.

"Individually, they are great eople. But as a whole, they can be afraid of new comers. Jared could be a bit of a show off... it was just part of his nature. he wanted his home town to see him as a big shot. So, a lot of people kept an eye on me... to make sure that I was really in love with Jared and not his land or his money."

The waitress came by and left them menus. Sheryl was written on her nametag in curling script.

"The special tonight is chicken and dumplings. Everything else is on the menu, but we are out of squash casserole."

Laura thanked her and began looking over the menu.
 
"Oh no. I came all this way and they are out of squash casserole. That is just wrong." He smiled at Laura and laughed a little. He decided that he would go with the special and see if it really was.

"So, if they were checking you out when you first came here they are now checking me out to make sure that I am not up to no good. Did they ever come to trust you or were you still under suspicion right up until Jared died?

While they talked Jason looked around the greasy spoon and smiled at everyone who made eye contact with him. People did not concern him. He was not intimidated. He had spent years dealing with very powerful people, and he had never backed down from them. A bunch of ranchers in the middle of nowhere did not concern him.
 
Laura ordered the special as well.

"They are over me for the most part. A lot of the wives are worried about a young widow in town. They don't think I know it but they call me princess and Snow White behind my back."

Laura tucked her foot up underneath her.

"But they are good people. They all brought food when Jared died. And several of them offered to take me in when I found out about the lein on the ranch."

Kip, the owner of the dinner, made his way over to the table.

"You must be Mr. Scott." He said offering Jason his large hand.
 
Jason slid out of the booth and shook hands with Kip. Kip looked at him funny as he did it, but Jason had learned a long time ago that you don't shake hands while sitting down. "No, I am Jason Scott, there is no need to be formal with me. You must be Kip."

Jason held onto Kip's hand for a moment. "Laura took me for a tour of the ranch earlier, and when I asked her where I could take her to dinner to thank her she told me that we had to come here. So, here we are."

Jason noticed that everything stopped while he was talking to Kip. Everyone was interested to see how the first encounter between Kip and the new guy went. He didn't plan on giving them anything to talk about. he just wanted to blend in.
 
Kip clapped Jason on the shoulder.

"Well, Laura was right... glad you came in. Sheryl will bring y'all some of my wives cobbler for dessert... to celebrate your purchase."

It was almost as if there was a sigh of relief in the place. Laura smiled up at Kip.

"is it blackberry? She makes the best one I have ever had." Kip nodded and headed back to the counter.

Laura winked at Jason.
 
Jason sat back down in the booth with Laura. "How did I do? Do you think I passed?" He smiled at her and gave her a wink of his own.

"I am really happy that you agreed to stay around and help me with the ranch. As you saw today, I have no idea of what I am doing on a ranch. I know nothing about caring for the animals. I know nothing about hiring people to work the ranch. I know nothing."
 
Laura laughed.

"Hiring is the most important part. If you hire a few good hands. They can teach you how to care for the stock. The horses, i would love to take care of them for you..."

Laura noticed one of the women in the corner staring at them. it was Missy Burrows. She was the wife of one of the men that had been bidding at the auction. Missy was whispering and looking very sour.
 
"I would love for you to take care of the horses as long as you teach me everything I need to know. I don't know what it was, but while we were out there with the horses today I felt a connection to Roxy. I had never been around a horse before and it was like she was trying to communicate with me."

He paused for a second and then smiled. "She was probably trying to communicate that she would rather I rode another horse. She probably wasn't happy having some city slicker on her back."

Jason noticed Laura looking toward the corner of the restaurant. He looked at her quizzically. "Is everything okay Laura? Is there some kind of problem?" He turned in the direction Laura was looking and saw the people she was looking at looking in their direction. Jason waved at them, which set them to more whispering.
 
Laura shrugged her shoulders.

"She is just a gossip. She is the one that always calls me Princess or Snow White. She is sort of the queen bee. Her husband is the mayor."

Laura ran her fingers through her hair. Her cheeks were a little flushed. She seemed embarassed.

The waittress brought their meals. Laura softly thanked her and began moving her food around on her plate.
 
"Oh, she is the gossip queen, huh? Maybe I should give her something to really gossip about. Maybe I should lean over the table and give you a big kiss.... that would give her something to talk about. See, what these people don't understand about me is that I don't care what they say about me. I really don't"

He smiled at Laura and then he picked at his food. "I would never disrespect you by doing that to you Laura. I was just giving an example. I am sorry if you thought I was serious about that."

Jason ate some of his food. He was not particularly hungry, but he was impressed by how good the food was, so, he continued to eat it.
 
Laura giggled despite herself.

"Jason, you are a good guy. I know you wouldn't do anything to upset me."

Sheryl brought two dishes of blackberry cobblers. The cobbler was steaming and the ice cream was beginning to melt.

"I am not much for desserts, but this is my favorite...." Laura swirled her spoon into the dessert.
 
Jason enjoyed the dessert. There was a special, personal touch that went into it.

"So, where do I need to start in order to get the ranch in order? I have no idea where to start. I have wondered if I should sell all of the cattle and just keep the horses. Maybe I bit off more than I can chew."

He went back to eating the cobbler. He felt comfortable sitting here. He just wasn't sure whether he wanted to be so involved with the animals.
 
Laura was thoughtful for a moment.

"It depends if you want to make money or not..." Laura began doing a few tabulations on her paper napkin.

"If you sell the cattle outright... you will make a profit. But then the land will just be sitting unused. It is really up to you. You could lease the pasture to another rancher and get income that way."
 
"I have to tell you that the money is not a big deal to me. I bought the ranch without ever seeing it. I had no idea that there were any animals on the land... cattle or horses. I am not concerned with the land sitting unused, because that was what I had in mind when I bought it."

He looked at Laura to gauge her reaction. "I bought the ranch to get away from the craziness that has been my life. I wanted a lot of land in order to have the privacy. However, now that I have the animals and have an opportunity to make some of the money back that I spent, I am not sure whether to sell them, or to keep them and make money that way."
 
Laura drummed her fingers on the table.

"I can introduce you to some good hands. They will be able to really break it down for you. Hal Gibson is a hard worker. He worked for Jared."

Missy Burrows made her way over to their table.

"Mr. Scott, welcome to our town. We hope you enjoy it here." She was all smiles but there was something acidic about her tone.

Laura smiled at Missy but said nothing.
 
"It is very nice of you to welcome me. Thank you. I don't think I got your name." Jason smiled at Missy Burrows. Yes, he was being a little bit of a smart ass, but he was doing it in defense of Laura.

After Missy Burrows left, Jason turned back to Laura and said that he would meet with Hal Gibson. "I will see what he has to say and that will help me make my decision. Thank you for offering to set it up."

Jason smiled at Laura and then paid the check. He left a large tip for Sheryl. They headed out of the shop and drove back to the ranch. "I really appreciate your willingness to stay on and help me out Laura. If it wasn't for you I would probably be selling all of the animals tomorrow; horses included."
 
Laura looked at him intently. "I do have a request. I would like to buy the horse Jared bought me. I can save up my salary and buy her."

Laura's eyes were teary and she did her best to hide it. A few tears slipped down her cheeks and she swiped them away quickly.

"Excuse me, I will be right back." Laura rushed to the ladies room.
 
jason listened as Laura asked about the horse that her late husband had bought for her, and then said that she would save up all of her salary to buy it back. He saw her start to cry, and then run to the rest room.

He was shocked at her reaction and he felt upset that she had lost something so special when her husband had died. When she returned he took her hand. "Laura, that horse was not part of the purchase. That horse was and is yours. Just because it was in the barn when I bought the ranch doesn't mean it is mine. The horse was a gift to you and it is still yours."
 
Laura did her best to keep her composure.

"Maeve is a valuable horse. It is too much to give as a gift. But I can earn her."

Laura smiled.

"Why dont I take you to see Hank? He is gonna be eager to meet with you. He hasn't had a job since Jared died."
 
"Laura, maybe you didn't hear me. Jared gave her as a gift to you. It is not my gift.. it was his. Maeve is yours... there will be no argument."

He thought about her anxiety to get him to meet with Hank. She was really pushing this. Maybe they were in on something. Maybe she was just trying to help. No matter what the truth was he was not going to rush into anything.

He had been very successful in business by being thoughtful, and not being rushed into anything. He wasn't going to start now. "Maybe I will meet with him tomorrow. It has been a long day."
 
Laura nodded.

"We will need to take feed out to the cattle tonight. We can use the farm truck. There is still plenty of feed in the barn."

Laura watched Jason for a moment.

"We probably should head back to the ranch."
 
Feed out the cattle he thought... what the hell did he get into? "Ok Laura. If you say we need to feed out the cattle, we better get to it." He followed her out of the restaurant and opened the door for her to get into the car. He drove back to the ranch and pulled up next to the barn.

"Okay, so what exactly do we do to feed out the cattle. I have no clue. Just tell me what to do and let me learn on the fly." He jumped out of the car and awaited further instructions from Laura.
 
Back
Top