I like Trains

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-02/amtrak-seeks-safety-changes-to-allow-u-s-bullet-trains.html



Amtrak Seeks Safety Changes to Allow U.S. Bullet Trains
By Angela Greiling Keane
January 2, 2013


Amtrak will recommend new U.S. rail- safety regulations to allow it to replace its Acela trains in the Northeast U.S. with lighter, faster equipment, Chief Executive Officer Joseph Boardman said.

U.S. crashworthiness standards force Amtrak to use trains that have locomotives on both ends and are slower and heavier than bullet trains used in Europe and Asia, Boardman said in an interview. Those standards reflect that U.S. passenger trains often share tracks with freight railroads rather than operating on their own lines.

Existing standards apply to trains traveling as much as 150 miles per hour (241 kilometers per hour). Writing new rules that relax railcar structural-strength requirements for faster trains “would allow for less use of fuel, quicker acceleration, a different performance profile,” Boardman, 64, said. “What we’re really looking for is a performance specification here.”

Amtrak last month announced it would seek bids to replace its 12-year-old fleet of 20 Acela trains operating between Washington and Boston instead of adding two cars to each train, a plan its inspector general questioned as too expensive. The Acela carried about 3.4 million passengers and produced about a fourth of Amtrak’s $2 billion in ticket revenue for the year ended Sept. 30.

Boardman, in the interview, said he’d like to add at least 10 to 12 trains before beginning to retire the current Acela fleet. The cost, for which Amtrak said it will seek information from potential suppliers in early 2013, may be $30 million to $40 million per trainset, Boardman said.

“It depends on how many we actually would purchase and whether anybody else in this country is going to move forward with high-speed trainsets,” he said.

Train Competition
Amtrak in 1996 signed a contract valued at $1.2 billion to buy the original Acelas, which operate much more slowly than their maximum speed on most of the Northeast Corridor due to the limitations of tracks and tunnels.

Companies including Siemens AG, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. and Hitachi Ltd. may want to compete with Bombardier Inc. and Alstom SA, the joint suppliers of Acela equipment used since the service’s start 12 years ago. Amtrak is subject to rules that require its equipment to be made in the U.S.

Safety standards for passenger trains operating at more than 150 mph are being developed, Kevin Thompson, a spokesman for the Federal Railroad Administration, said in an e-mail. Amtrak is “working with FRA and other members of the Railroad Safety Advisory Council to better define the car strength criteria for higher-speed passenger equipment,” he said.

Amtrak’s long-term plan for high-speed service in the Northeast envisions those trains running on dedicated tracks.

Congress Challenge
Boardman, who was FRA administrator from 2005 to 2008, said he’ll also challenge Congress this year to commit to maintaining taxpayer funding for long-distance train service outside the Northeast Corridor, so it can get the best value on equipment purchases.

Amtrak will be up for reauthorization by Congress in 2013, as the railroad’s chief critic in the House, Florida Republican John Mica, relinquishes his seat as chairman of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee due to term limits.

Representative Bill Shuster, a Pennsylvania Republican who has said taxpayer subsidies for Amtrak are inevitable, will assume the panel’s chairmanship this month. Amtrak has never made an annual profit and received about $1.4 billion in taxpayer aid in the 2012 fiscal year.

“Until Congress establishes that reliable funding source for rail infrastructure investment, it’s going to be very difficult to take advantage of millions of dollars available from the private sector,” Boardman said.

Non-Cash Returns
Boardman, who became Amtrak’s CEO in 2008, said it won’t be easy to convince budget-conscious lawmakers to spend more money on a transportation service they sometimes hold out as an example of waste. Mica held a series of hearings last year to criticize Amtrak’s subsidies, especially on long-distance trains, and its $151 billion proposal to build a high-speed system in the Northeast.

“It’s always that way in business; there are always scarce resources for the things that you want to do,” he said. “So you continue to look for the returns. Those are not always returns in cash money.”

Mica’s staff in September released a report showing taxpayers have provided Amtrak subsidies of $50.97 per ticket sold for the past five years, an amount Boardman said needs to be compared with taxpayer support for highways and airports.

President Barack Obama made establishing high-speed rail passenger service in the U.S. a priority shortly after taking office in 2009. U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood last week in a blog post said that vision still exists even after states including Florida and Ohio rejected grant money they’d received to build such projects.



http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-02/amtrak-seeks-safety-changes-to-allow-u-s-bullet-trains.html
 
Sometimes a train ride can be very exciting.

Kinda like being at Disneyland.

svTRAIN_wideweb__470x299,0.jpg
 


I just learned something. Ever heard of a "notched" tunnel? It's a method used to modify an existing tunnel to permit the passage of double-stacked containers. They cut the arch of an existing tunnel back just enough so that the containers will fit through. West Virginia now has a bunch of 'em.


doublestack_1-600x450.jpg



Here are examples after completion (the first one is Big Sandy #1— note the single track):


_WDC7865-600x399.jpg


_WDC9312_2-600x399.jpg



 
Last edited:
Some people don't know the difference between a train and a boat.

I'll not mention names, but he hails from an island and one would assume could differentiate between the two modes of transport.
 
Some people don't know the difference between a train and a boat.

I'll not mention names, but he hails from an island and one would assume could differentiate between the two modes of transport.

Yes I do, sailing boats tend to contain sensible people in quiet, beautiful surroundings. Trains tend to contain people with ipods turned up too loud that you want to stab in the eye with a spork.
 
Yes I do, sailing boats tend to contain sensible people in quiet, beautiful surroundings. Trains tend to contain people with ipods turned up too loud that you want to stab in the eye with a spork.

In that case, let's keep the posts herein on topic. I'll not suffer mis-postings lightly.
 
Yes I do, sailing boats tend to contain sensible people in quiet, beautiful surroundings. Trains tend to contain people with ipods turned up too loud that you want to stab in the eye with a spork.

oh man a spork reference
 
Took a steam locomotive to Ooty up the Blue Mountains in the Indian State of Timil Nadu. Bitch could climb 15% grades because of an Abt rack and pinion system.

Here's a few pics.

At one of the many stops to get more water. I'm the guy in the maroon rooked into taking an Indian families pic.
DSC00909_zps0393eb94.jpg


Train engineers tinkering
DSC00905_zps2db663a4.jpg


The Abt rack and pinion track system.
DSC00914_zpsa87439e9.jpg
 
Some people don't know the difference between a train and a boat.

I'll not mention names, but he hails from an island and one would assume could differentiate between the two modes of transport.

Used to be you could take the boat train from Euston to Holyhead.
 
Last edited:
Sorry mate

The internationally recognised world speed record for steam traction was won by the London and North Eastern Railway's A4 Pacific 'Mallard' in the 1930s, and has never been beaten. Over 126mph.

'Mallard' is now at York (UK) Railway Museum, which I've been told is the largest railway museum in the world.

bgf_frueh_dampflok_br18_02.jpg


Bergedorf b. Hamburg, Germany



18-201-welche-Dampflok-ist-schneller.jpg


18-201, the fastest steam train
 
The internationally recognised world speed record for steam traction was won by the London and North Eastern Railway's A4 Pacific 'Mallard' in the 1930s, and has never been beaten. Over 126mph.

'Mallard' is now at York (UK) Railway Museum, which I've been told is the largest railway museum in the world.

lner-a4-4-6-2-pacific-class-mallard-on-sunday-3-july-1938-reached-an-unbeaten-steam-locomotive-world-record-speed-of-126-mph-photo-courtesy-of-national-railway-museum-bbc-tyneside.jpg


Woof!
 


This is how Athabaskan oil sand and Bakken petroleum is currently getting to refiners:

8377055784_2c9cdfaa70_z.jpg


8377137644_fd11f27f0a_z.jpg





 
Last edited:
Back
Top