Putting Text In Italics

Stopokochac

Literotica Guru
Does anyone know how to put story text in Italics. Because I see some authors doing it, especially for the "notes", but there's no italics button.

I think you just use standard html tags <i> and </i>.

Confusingly, here in the forum it is different.

Use the tags as directed. For intros and endnotes I always used to ask in the miscellaneous notes section when the story was submitted (before I clued in that the tags made a difference) and Laurel would format since it was a simple request.

[This content has been removed due to a copyright violation.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Or just use a word processor and submit the file.

That won't get you italics at Literotica unless you put the italics coding in manually: <I>text</I>

Did that change? Certainly used to be able to submit a .doc or .rtf with italicised text and have it go through OK; I think Laurel ran some sort of conversion to add the coding.

I don't know about any other mode of submission than cut-paste into the dialogue box--because that one works just fine. It isn't just a matter of using a word processing program, though.

[This content has been removed due to a copyright violation.]

Well, I'm not an expert in every word processor, but .docx files will provide italicized text. I just did it twice in the last week.

It isn't what the word processor will give you; it's what the Literotica system will accept. I can have a document with italics in Word, but If I cut and paste it into the Literotica submissions box, the italics will disappear. I have to manually code them.

I don't know about any other mode of submission than cut-paste into the dialogue box--because that one works just fine. It isn't just a matter of using a word processing program, though.
I used to use .txt with the old interface, and it would load straight to the submit box and I'd run a final eye over it there.

With the new dash, for some reason .txt wouldn't work, but .rtf did (but didn't preview into the submit box like before) - and only then did I actually find out about italics and bold html. As I only use italics occasionally, .rtf forced me to type the code into the raw draft, which then became habit. So I now draft straight into a .rtf file (including the html code), see nothing in the text box, and press submit.

The only glitch I've found is in the centering html (for * * * * scene breaks), so I now just left justify, problem solved.

I draft on a Kindle, with a Word look-alike program from an App Store, which is why, I suspect, I've had the glitches.

It isn't what the word processor will give you; it's what the Literotica system will accept. I can have a document with italics in Word, but If I cut and paste it into the Literotica submissions box, the italics will disappear. I have to manually code them.

Sure, if you use the submissions box. But John988 was talking about the file upload option, which is a different kettle of fish, and does allow writers to post formatted stories without having to manually ad tags.

https://www.literotica.com/faq/05235347.shtml#05318889

An Excellent Article on Text Formatting

There is an excellent article in 'Writer's Resources' on this topic. I'd tried uploading an RTF file with italics and bold and there were issues with the formatting. So based on the advice from this article, I've been embedding my HTML codes for italics, bold, and even underline, and it has worked perfectly.

Article: Text formatting

Good luck...! :)

Edit: I just had another thought. If you are working in 'MS Word', that program embeds a gazillion commands within your text, that might cause problems -- even if saved in another supposedly safe format (i.e. .rtf or .txt). The best way to strip all of the 'Word' formatting out of your file is to select the entire block of text within your 'Word' file, and then paste it into 'Notebook'. Again, doing this will strip out all the 'MS Word' formatting. Then within 'Notebook', you can plug in the formatting discussed in the above article. Hope it works for you...!

Underlining went out with the typewriter. What do you see as necessary to use it for at Literotica?

Things that I want underlined...! :D

And what is it you think you are conveying to the reader when you underline something? Or do you think the writing process is all about the author?

And what is it you think you are conveying to the reader when you underline something? Or do you think the writing process is all about the author?

Fair question Keith D. My answer would be that some stories are easier to follow for the reader if some dialogue is presented differently in some way to indicate what sort of dialogue it is.

For example I may use standard quotations for normal speech then italics for internal monologue or (in a scifi story for example) some kind of internalized, silent dialogue, but then I need something for communication via some other means such as txt based messaging or loudspeaker announcement.

There are lots of ways of doing it such as just saying for example "then he spoke into the coms system..." etc but if its happening often in your story it can be easier just using some convention that the reader will quickly get used to and use as a visual key... such as underlining.

I might do a paragraph like this near the start of the story and then as long as I stick to the same formatting throughout the reader will understand when the character is speaking, sub vocalizing or speaking in the ship wide coms:

Captain Thomas turned to his first mate,

"Co- pilot launch the landing control drones."

"Roger."

Thomas' commands to the ship's AI could be sub vocalized.

-AI keep my drones clear of those phosphor clouds

-Acknowledged Captain

"All crew prepare for landing." His voice echoed through the ships scratchy com speakers as he toggled off the cockpit microphone.

Uggg:rose:

That's so not standard that I think it's questionable that readers will follow it--or want to try to. But, OK for Literotica, I guess . . . if you want and if Laurel let's it post that way. If she doesn't, I can certainly understand why. The Literotica file is in the form of an anthology. Anthologies usually have basic, standard formatting rules applied across the collection for reading uniformity.

That's so not standard that I think it's questionable that readers will follow it--or want to try to. But, OK for Literotica, I guess . . . if you want and if Laurel let's it post that way. If she doesn't, I can certainly understand why. The Literotica file is in the form of an anthology. Anthologies usually have basic, standard formatting rules applied across the collection for reading uniformity.

Oh, I've seen it a few times in Scifi novels and even in fantasy where gods communicate with avatars etc... Bold or 'all caps' is sometimes used in the same way. I think I recall reading a book where a different font was used for this as well, can't remember what it was though.

The point is that the same format is used ongoing in that particular story so the reader very quickly works out what is going on.

Uggg:)

"Roger."

-Acknowledged Captain

"All crew prepare for landing." His voice echoed through the ships scratchy com speakers as he toggled off the cockpit microphone.

This is undoubtedly a creative method of tagging dialog. Reminds me a bit of a script, actually. I personally had difficulty following it (and noticed past and presence tense mixed), and would have taken a more traditional approach like this:

Captain Thomas turned to his first mate. "Co- pilot launch the landing control drones."

"Roger," [Mate's name] replied.

"[*AI's name], keep my drones clear of those phosphor clouds", Thomas sub-vocalized to the ship's AI.

Then the Captain's voice echoed through the ships scratchy com speakers.

"All crew prepare for landing."

I do appreciate individual style choices, though, so more power to you.

I try to use tags as little as possible, and if I do use said, asked, or replied around 75 percent of the time, and add flavor the other 25 percent. Otherwise, why have so many wonderful words to describe the different ways of speaking? We have them for a reason- what better time to use them than when writing dialog in fiction?

Thanks for sharing your writing as an example, btw Uggg :)

Last edited:
Fair question Keith D. My answer would be that some stories are easier to follow for the reader if some dialogue is presented differently in some way to indicate what sort of dialogue it is.

For example I may use standard quotations for normal speech then italics for internal monologue or (in a scifi story for example) some kind of internalized, silent dialogue, but then I need something for communication via some other means such as txt based messaging or loudspeaker announcement.

There are lots of ways of doing it such as just saying for example "then he spoke into the coms system..." etc but if its happening often in your story it can be easier just using some convention that the reader will quickly get used to and use as a visual key... such as underlining.

I might do a paragraph like this near the start of the story and then as long as I stick to the same formatting throughout the reader will understand when the character is speaking, sub vocalizing or speaking in the ship wide coms:

"Roger."

-Acknowledged Captain

I've always thought of underlining and italics use to be functionally interchangeable, so they're never used together. I can't think of examples of published fiction, or of professional nonfiction, where I have more experience, where both are used. I tend to agree with KeithD that when you have word processing capability italics should be used, not underlining. It's cleaner and more professional looking.

I thought the example was hard to follow, and would be much clearer if you used more commonplace dialogue tagging. You should insert "and said" after "first mate," for example. The possessive of Thomas is Thomas's, not Thomas'. To indicate the subvocal command to the AI, I would suggest inserting a sentence describing the captain talking to the AI in that way, followed by the dialog. I think that's clearer than relying upon different fonts and styles.

I thought the example was hard to follow, and would be much clearer if you used more commonplace dialogue tagging. You should insert "and said" after "first mate," for example. The possessive of Thomas is Thomas's, not Thomas'. To indicate the subvocal command to the AI, I would suggest inserting a sentence describing the captain talking to the AI in that way, followed by the dialog. I think that's clearer than relying upon different fonts and styles.
Also, you may well have blind folk relying on voice readers. I'm not sure what they make of underlining - I know they carry on regardless through italics (which sort of renders the use of italics an able-bodied nicety, when you think of it like that). Food for thought, right there.

I've always thought of underlining and italics use to be functionally interchangeable, so they're never used together. I can't think of examples of published fiction, or of professional nonfiction, where I have more experience, where both are used. I tend to agree with KeithD that when you have word processing capability italics should be used, not underlining. It's cleaner and more professional looking.

Yup I would certainly agree that italics would be my first choice and it is only in a very complex situation that I might need more than that.

In regards to what you said about the subvocals I would agree if it were only going to occur a few times but if there is going to be a lot of that type of dialogue in a long story I would definitely prefer it my way (As a reader or writer).

This is what google had to say about possessives when a name ends in 's':

'What is the possessive form of Thomas?
That is Thomas' chair. That's the Thomases' dog. The construction "Thomas's" is wrong. To form the possessive of a plural proper noun, add only an apostrophe.'

And also:

'How do you write the possessive form of a name ending in s?
Rule: To show singular possession of a name ending in s or z, some writers add just an apostrophe. Others also add another s.'

So I think my way was right but your might be as well.;)

Also, you may well have blind folk relying on voice readers. I'm not sure what they make of underlining - I know they carry on regardless through italics (which sort of renders the use of italics an able-bodied nicety, when you think of it like that). Food for thought, right there.

Wow eb,

You always blow me away with the things you say you know. I value the feedback and suggestions you have given me in the past and I confess I hadn't even considered this.

I do have blind friend here on lit who uses software like you describe so I will ask him about that.

This is undoubtedly a creative method of tagging dialog. Reminds me a bit of a script, actually. I personally had difficulty following it (and noticed past and presence tense mixed), and would have taken a more traditional approach like this:

Captain Thomas turned to his first mate. "Co- pilot launch the landing control drones."

"Roger," [Mate's name] replied.

"[*AI's name], keep my drones clear of those phosphor clouds", Thomas sub-vocalized to the ship's AI.

Then the Captain's voice echoed through the ships scratchy com speakers.

"All crew prepare for landing."

I do appreciate individual style choices, though, so more power to you.

I try to use tags as little as possible, and if I do use said, asked, or replied around 75 percent of the time, and add flavor the other 25 percent. Otherwise, why have so many wonderful words to describe the different ways of speaking? We have them for a reason- what better time to use them than when writing dialog in fiction?

Thanks for sharing your writing as an example, btw Uggg :)

Blushes a little at the mixed up tenses...

Just for the record this was just an unedited example I threw together on the spot to illustrate my point and not a good example of the end product of my writing.;)

Back