Tell me why the weather has become so destructive!

When Boston's Logan airport cancels flights, I take severe weather warnings seriously.

"Wind gust of 95 mph recorded in Iowa"

Looking at the weather map for the Midwest scared me.
The weather announcer was freaked out.

Airports canceled flights.

"Thunderstorms are possible again Wednesday night into Thursday morning, some of which may be severe as well."

Why does the storm keep travelling, and not weaken ?

http://www.scscircle.com/news/id-26...her-wind-gust-of-95-mph-recorded-in-iowa.html

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/710658/severe-thunderstorm-watch-issued-chicago-area-2

Dark skies

http://www.chicagotribune.com/

because we cannot CONTROL the weather, and MAN cannot fix mother nature
 
I'm going to enjoy another 1 to 2 increases in the temperature on my next hike. It'll be especially valuable at the beach. It'll probably lengthen the growing season of my garden.
Yawn. Once again, global warming doesn't mean every day is a little hotter. It means more energy in the hydrosphere to produce more extreme weather and shift weather patterns. Hotter hots, colder colds, stormier storms, droughtier droughts -- and desertification of croplands. Generating zillions of refugees. Heading your way.
 
Yawn. Once again, global warming doesn't mean every day is a little hotter. It means more energy in the hydrosphere to produce more extreme weather and shift weather patterns. Hotter hots, colder colds, stormier storms, droughtier droughts -- and desertification of croplands. Generating zillions of refugees. Heading your way.

More importantly the CO2 goes into the oceans and is killing the fish, corals and plankton, meaning that we will have to learn to eat jellyfish as they are the only species that seems to thrive in the acidic water.
 
Dollie

Just the bullshit on Lit has raised the temperature several degrees.

It's 93 degrees here in Illinois and only 79 where we lived in Florida.
 
Last edited:
When Boston's Logan airport cancels flights, I take severe weather warnings seriously.

"Wind gust of 95 mph recorded in Iowa"

Looking at the weather map for the Midwest scared me.
The weather announcer was freaked out.

Airports canceled flights.

"Thunderstorms are possible again Wednesday night into Thursday morning, some of which may be severe as well."

Why does the storm keep travelling, and not weaken ?

http://www.scscircle.com/news/id-26...her-wind-gust-of-95-mph-recorded-in-iowa.html

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/710658/severe-thunderstorm-watch-issued-chicago-area-2

Dark skies

http://www.chicagotribune.com/
Hyper Media coverage of Natural weather after a 12 year hurricane Al Gore end of the world storm predictions and normal seasonal weather being stirred up in order to prop up the proven Global Warming Lie and Myth............Its just another lie to kill our freedoms and slap more taxes on us all you morons!

Planets fine now go have a life and stop freaking out over bottled water when you have a kitchen tap with running water !
Unless you live in a Democrat run city and the waters toxic or bullets fill the air in a gun free city
 
Hyper Media coverage of Natural weather after a 12 year hurricane Al Gore end of the world storm predictions and normal seasonal weather being stirred up in order to prop up the proven Global Warming Lie and Myth............Its just another lie to kill our freedoms and slap more taxes on us all you morons!

Planets fine now go have a life and stop freaking out over bottled water when you have a kitchen tap with running water !
Unless you live in a Democrat run city and the waters toxic or bullets fill the air in a gun free city
Which proven Global Warming Lie and Myth are you referring to?
 
-

Planets fine now go have a life and stop freaking out over bottled water when you have a kitchen tap with running water !
Unless you live in a Democrat run city and the waters toxic or bullets fill the air in a gun free city

Unless you live in Flint and have a Republican fucking up the systems because they can't do their jobs. Or unless your government sold the water to a private company to fill the pockets of the powers that be? Or you allow a mining co to dig a hole the size of Manhattan to poison the head waters and kill the largest salmon run in the world. or...

Dumbass!
 
Sad news

Mountaineering and rock climbing have become more dangerous, because of global climate change. Not just because the weather is more dangerous.

It is because the new weather extremes have an effect on the rock of the mountains, themselves.

There is a new category for weather itself, this year- deadly.

What was taken for granted, is now past. We are developing technological advances, so that the predictions for deadly weather events are fairly accurate. The meteorologists themselves are awed, by how powerful the storms are. By how quickly they form, and how quickly they are followed by increasingly more violent storms.


gsgs comment- There are road signs that warn about rocks falling, on some parts of New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine. During the formation of Tornado Alley East, Vermont had boulders the size of Volkswagen Beetles falling into the streets.

It has been a trend of extremes, for every state, in the United States. The extremes of drought, heat, cold, floods, deadly violent winds, and more frequent earthquakes have weathering effects. The rock becomes brittle, and easier to wear away. Breaking away from main mass, with more frequency.

Natural granite formation, formed over 2 million years
Old Man of the Mountains
(looked like a rugged old man's face)
Franconia Notch State Park
New Hampshire

Collapsed, May 3, 2003

Freezing and thawing opened fissures in the Old Man’s forehead. By the 1920s, the crack was wide enough to be mended with chains, and in 1957 the state legislature passed a $25,000 appropriation for a more elaborate weatherproofing, using 20 tons of fast-drying cement, plastic covering, and steel rods and turnbuckles, plus a concrete gutter to divert runoff from above. A team from the state highway and park divisions maintained the patchwork each summer.

http://nh-hike.com/2017/05/03/remembering-the-old-man-of-the-mountain/

1915 the Rev. Guy Roberts lobbied the Franconia town fathers to do work to keep the Great Stone Face up on the mountain. In 1916 expert quarryman E.H. Geddes of Quincy, Mass., hand drilled 1-inch round tie-rods into the top of the forehead slab.

The giant steel turnbuckles were installed in 1958 by Niels Nielsen of the N.H. Department of Transportation and his staff at the Bridge Maintenance Division, and one of those turnbuckles now sits at Profile Plaza.


http://www.unionleader.com/apps/pbc...9/NEWHAMPSHIRE03/130409166/0/NEWHAMPSHIRE1410

Scouring by flowing glacial ice, would not produce sharp, protruding ledges. Thus the old man must have been formed AFTER the glacial ice had melted from this area. Glacial geologists now think the ice was gone from this part of NH by about 12,000 years ago.


Water freezing and thawing in cracks of the then exposed walls of Franconia Notch split off pieces of the granite. Chance removal of just the right pieces, produced a set of five ledges, that when viewed from just the right angle, had an uncanny likeness to a man’s profile.

The granite that makes up Cannon Mountain is called the Conway Granite. Jurassic in age, it was intruded as magma into the rocks of the notch area during the time of the dinosaurs, some 180 million years ago.2 It’s pinkish color comes from one of the minerals that make up the granite. Called feldspar, this mineral slowly crumbles over time as water chemically breaks down the feldspar.

http://www.oldmanofthemountainlegacyfund.org/about/geology.aspx
 
I'm not sure storms are more extreme. It may simply be that they are better documented now than they were 100 years ago. Or 1,000.

Some of the older records for tropical storms still stand as far as in tensity and damage.

As do some of the blizzards and heat waves (Dust Bowl anybody?).

That, and we've gotten weak and wussey. I used to be able to handle hot summers just fine. Now I have to hide inside in A/C in conditions I used to be able to be outside all day. Nineties wasn't nuthin' a few years back. Now I have trouble with upper eighties.

I could be outside all day in twenties and thirties messing around in snow or skating. Now my fingers get to hurting if I'm out in thirties more than an hour or so, sometimes less.

In the 1940s and 50s, nobody cared about heavy snow. You dressed for it and went on about your day. You went to work or school in an 8"-10" snowfall and had a blast while doing it. Now everything shuts down in 2" of flurries and people complain about the economic impact of losing a day of work or shopping.
 
I saw a recent Atlantic article about how no, we can't say that storms are more energetic now than in the pre-satellite era because data then was sporadic. We CAN say that storm intensity has grown since satellites started tracking weather. And hydrosphere changes DO correlate with human industrial activity over the last couple centuries.

But that's not PROOF! Alas, science deals with probabilities, not certainties. Ain't no such thang as scientific proof. Doesn't work that way. But if you go stand in the path of a tornado, there's a good probability you'll DIE. Try it out.
 
(edited)

In the 1940s and 50s, nobody cared about heavy snow. You dressed for it and went on about your day. You went to work or school in an 8"-10" snowfall and had a blast while doing it. Now everything shuts down in 2" of flurries and people complain about the economic impact of losing a day of work or shopping.
You know that this is bullshit, right?
 
user profile

Three weeks, and this thread is back on page 28
Your threshold is too low. I set my display to 100 posts per page so for me it's only page 2. Pretty easy to skim past that way.
 
Nate is heading for New Orleans. Expect it to be a hurricane when it gets there.

Calm before the storm indeed, Mr. President.
 
Tropical Storm Nate: New Orleans declares state of emergency

Updated on October 5, 2017

Hurricane and storm surge watches were issued for portions of the northern Gulf Coast Thursday night (Oct. 5), the National Hurricane Center said in its latest update of Tropical Storm Nate.

A hurricane watch was issued from Morgan City, Louisiana, eastward to the Mississippi/Alabama border, including metropolitan New Orleans, Lake Pontchartrain, and Lake Maurepas.

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2017/10/national_hurricane_center_nate_1.html

gsgs comment- They are taking Hurricaine Nate seriously

State of Emergency


https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...7140d2eed02_story.html?utm_term=.41e1edfd9004


The same familiar, hurricaine hit areas...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...7140d2eed02_story.html?utm_term=.2fba4a6b5a82
 
Nate is heading for New Orleans. Expect it to be a hurricane when it gets there.

Calm before the storm indeed, Mr. President.
As I said elsewhere, Tromp's storm is likely to be military madness. Meanwhile, how much relief aid for overseas territory Puerto Rico will be diverted to stateside Gulf Coast? Who are more important, voting honkies and peckerheads, or colonial sp!cks?
 
Yet another Right Winger who loves liberals so much.

I'm beginning to think all you freaks do this because trying to get the attention of "liberals" on chat boards is as close as you'll ever come to going to college.

Newsflash: For every Minute you spend thinking about "liberals" they spend ZERO thinking about you.

Go back to the dung heap where you came from.


It was hotter today. I understand Jaywalking has now become more dangerous because asphalt temperatures are rising.

Cow Flatulence is reaching critical levels.

Celebrities and liberals have stopped using private planes and limo's....wait. NO that hasn't stopped.
 
It was hotter today. I understand Jaywalking has now become more dangerous because asphalt temperatures are rising.

Cow Flatulence is reaching critical levels.

Celebrities and liberals have stopped using private planes and limo's....wait. NO that hasn't stopped.
Any links?

No? OK.
 
Who is paying for private plane rides by celebs? U.S. citizens, the celebs, or private business? And name and source the private plane rides by liberals. Oh, and what Russian bank is sending YOU checks, Jay? ;)
 
A side effect of Global Climate Change, may be the loss of sanity in human beings.

Does it seem as if there is an uptick in erratic and unpredictable behaviours ?

Do we have refugees escaping from an environment, that has been stressed to the point of ecological breakdown ?


Is stress from the environment taking a toll on the peace of mind of human beings ?

It is hard to ignore, when it happened to Puerto Rico, a dependent of the United States of America.

Human beings are stressing the planet's ability to provide balance. In turn, human beings (and every living being on Earth) are feeling the increased stress.


Population growth and a record drought, perhaps exacerbated by climate change, is sparking one of the world's most dramatic urban water crises, as South African leaders warn that residents are increasingly likely to face "Day Zero." That's the day, now projected for mid-April, when the city says it will be forced to shut off taps to homes and businesses because reservoirs have gotten perilously low—a possibility officials now consider almost inevitable.


Cape Town officials are making plans to store emergency water at military installations, and say using taps to fill pools, water gardens, or wash cars is now illegal. Just this week, authorities stepped up water-theft patrols at natural springs where fights broke out, according to local press reports. They're being asked to crack down on "unscrupulous traders" who have driven up the price of bottled water.

Meanwhile, climate change is causing wider swings in weather, with more intense storms and more extreme events. "Think of southern California's record snowpack after five years of drought followed by more drought—such swings are likely to be the new normal," she says.

"Frankly, where it gets dangerous is the inability of our political institutions to keep up," says Geoff Dabelko, associate dean and director of the environmental studies program at Ohio University. "The overriding story of the coming decade is going to be about how well our institutions deal with the increased rate of change."

https://news.nationalgeographic.com...t-of-water-drought-taps-shutoff-other-cities/
 
I think Mother Nature is a little pissed at humans. I asked God about it and he told me to STFU and mind my own business. Like I should worry about my little acre and leave the rest to him.
 
I think Mother Nature is a little pissed at humans. I asked God about it and he told me to STFU and mind my own business. Like I should worry about my little acre and leave the rest to him.
Which god did you address? Some get really cranky about being disturbed. I wouldn't want Hephaestus assed at me, let alone Kali.

About that climate thang: Here at 4000 ft / 1200 m in the central Sierra Nevada range between Sacratomato and Carson City, we had one day of winter in December, one day in January, and now maybe ten days at the end of February. This is nowhere near normal. A few years ago we were snowed in for a week and snowed out for a week. Last year was the atmospheric river that nearly broke Oroville Dam. That droughty Pacific High is diverting aerial water elsewhere. The California Heat Engine is breaking down. Ay yi yi.
 
Siberia cold comes to Hogwarts ?

Conditions are not likely to improve for several days, with forecasters warning that snow will continue well into the week.

Forecaster Frank Saunders said parts of the country could see their "coldest spell of weather since at least 2013, and possibly since 1991".

It is expected that the mercury could plummet to - 15C by midweek where there is snow on the ground, rivalling temperatures forecast for parts of northern Norway and Iceland.

From Thursday, forecasters predict that another weather system, Storm Emma, will bring blizzards, gales and sleet as it meets the chilly "Beast from the East" later this week.

'Beast from the East'

The storm, named by the Portuguese Met Service, will move north through Europe and is due to hit the UK on Thursday and Friday, and will be "significantly disruptive", bringing the risk of power cuts and transport delays.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...beast-from-the-east-intensifies-a3777416.html
 
If the canary is extinct...

The National Climate Assessment, published in 2014, summarizes the current and predicted effects of climate change across the United States. The report goes into detail on regional threats, one of which is storms on the Texas Gulf: "Texas' Gulf Coast averages about three tropical storms or hurricanes every four years, generating coastal storm surge and sometimes bringing heavy rainfall and damaging winds hundreds of miles inland. The expected rise in sea level will result in the potential for greater damage from storm surge along the Gulf Coast of Texas."

Since 2014, Texas has seen seven tropical storms or hurricanes, most recently the Category 4 Hurricane Harvey, whose damage is still being measured and processed. In late August last year, the storm drenched the Gulf region. The National Weather Surface added two new colors to its rain index. The cataclysmic event was un-ignorable and scientific consensus ascribed the severity of its violence to anthropogenic, or human-originating, climate change.

Down at the coast, just the reports they're seeing now, the number of species is down, but also the number of individual common species, resident species is down, which is kind of ... so, they got killed," Till*man concluded. "A lot of birds got killed."

Ken Zaslow, a retiree and regular CBC participant, chimed in, noting the delicate balance of plants, water, and wildlife that mesh together to create a healthy ecosystem. "If the trees are killed, say by salt water," he said, "that will affect birds that stop there on migration. Resident birds, they need a place, a habitat."

In the old days, you had places for them to move, but now ..."

"We're so built up,"

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2018-02-23/what-are-the-birds-telling-us-about-climate-change/
 
Back
Top