Desperatley needing a spark...

jawanaut

Virgin
Joined
May 25, 2013
Posts
9

I'm not positive this is the right thread, but it seemed close enough; so here it goes. I am currently working on a story that's a little out of my comfort zone. I just had an idea a few weeks ago and have already begun writing (and rewriting and rewriting).
I have everything set up... the characters and the general plot; but here in lies my problem. It's a coming of age story about a boy wanting his summer before going off to college to be "epic". I already know it's not going to be epic in the way he at first thinks, but I feel it will be a welcome surprise. His father set up a summer job for him, helping the widow across town fix up her house. Now, I know what you're thinking... been there done that, read 'em a million times. The widow will not be the reason his summer will be "epic", I can tell you that already.
I'm going to insert a totally new, different character that will be the source of his "epic"ness?
And here is where I ask the forum for insight. What or who should be the reason for him to remember this summer fondly? Should I incorporate a niece or granddaughter of the widow? Or maybe a sex starved neighbor? Right now, it's wide open... and I can't reach a character that I think I would enjoy writing about... any ideas? :confused:
A lot of my other submission's feedback says that I had a great opportunity to 'teach a lesson' but failed to do so. I write to tell a story, not teach a lesson. Is this bad? Should I be looking for lesson's to teach? I would like some input on that as well.

Any tips, comments and direction would be most appreciated. I look forward to whatever is thrown. :)
 
Last edited:
I'd say it depends on your goal for the story. You said you "had an idea" - what was the idea? If your hero is just going to get his rocks off by some random person, I'm sorry but that isn't much of an idea. What was your goal, your purpose, your reason for thinking this was an actual story idea? In the answer to that question should lie the clue to who he should meet.

As for teaching a lesson, fuck that! Write to entertain, especially yourself!
 
Well, it was just a 'general' idea.... perhaps I should have made that more clear. No, I don't just want him to "get his rocks off", that would be a very boring story to not only read, but also write. He's a 19 year old virgin, hence 'out of my comfort zone'... I wasn't a virgin when I graduated high school, the hero is. My general idea, is he is going to lose his virginity, but it has to be in an unexpected way. Also, I want him to fall in love (or at least think he is). Keeping in mind, all of this needs to happen over one glorious summer and at the end he will inevitably leave for college, hundreds of miles away.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into this.... I should just write and find out where it leads?
By the way... big LOL on your comment about the lessons... I agree!
 
Got it; he's going to lose his virginity, both physically and emotionally. He'll be changed forever. He's going to fall in love, but then leave for college, so the love must necessarily be lost.

How about he falls in love with someone who is dying? She makes him see the beauty of living each day in the moment, and he falls madly in love with her carefree approach to life. Then she croaks, and he's sad at first, and then he realizes that he should be happy about all the gifts she's given him (attitudes that will shape the rest of his life) and he moves on, but never forgetting her.
 
Okay... wow. That's it! Ha, if I had known I could wrap this problem up in a matter of minutes by posting to the forum... I so would have done that weeks ago. Thanks! Great idea! Love it!
 
Got it; he's going to lose his virginity, both physically and emotionally. He'll be changed forever. He's going to fall in love, but then leave for college, so the love must necessarily be lost.

How about he falls in love with someone who is dying? She makes him see the beauty of living each day in the moment, and he falls madly in love with her carefree approach to life. Then she croaks, and he's sad at first, and then he realizes that he should be happy about all the gifts she's given him (attitudes that will shape the rest of his life) and he moves on, but never forgetting her.

I think I've seen this scenario a couple times (or more). Do we have any non-stock mechanisms for inducing maturity in adolescent males? Besides: The older woman (surviving or not) who makes a man of him. The tough-love teacher / preacher / mentor who sets him right. The neighbour tomboy who blossoms before him, loves him, and moves on. Fuck, there are probably a zillion similar tropes. How can it be done differently? Introduce kinks and fetishes? Same-sex, bi, group; multiracial; BDSM (he fondly looks back at his introduction to submission) or CD (he fondly recalls his first padded bra).
 
He finds out the little old lady runs a brothel out of her house.

One of the prostitutes is young and takes liking to him. He has to keep the secret because if his dad found out he'd make him quit and that's the last thing he wants to do.
 
How about the shy and innocent novice who will go off at the end of summer to take her final vows of Chastity, etc. The inducement could hinge on her making a decision to give up sex, or try it once jut to see. and she maybe sees him swimming or? And then "the lady or the tiger?" Does she or doesn't she, and what affect does it have on him? elated, heartbroken, macho?
 
Thank you everyone for your ideas and thoughts... I have decided how the story will unfold, but I'm not going to share it here in the forum... :)

Everyone will just have to read the finished story... I will post it when I'm done and also a link in this thread.

Again, thank you all!
 
One thing I've noticed now that I'm older is that one does not realize how "epic" something is while it's happening. It's only some time later (years) before one is able to look back with a sense of nostalgia and realize that for example "the summer of 1978" was epic.
 
One thing I've noticed now that I'm older is that one does not realize how "epic" something is while it's happening. It's only some time later (years) before one is able to look back with a sense of nostalgia and realize that for example "the summer of 1978" was epic.

Oh, I have to disagree with this. I had an extremely epic summer once, and I knew it every moment of the way. And yes, I took copious notes.
 
Oh, I have to disagree with this. I had an extremely epic summer once, and I knew it every moment of the way. And yes, I took copious notes.
I've just had a couple epic years -- epic disaster, starting with a misstep and ending in death (neither mine). I can do without epics, thank you very much.

Did I have sexually epic (good) years? Yes, a couple of them; but at the times, they only seemed like part of my busy (manic) low (cheap) life. Nothing epic about the way I lived, just that I got laid a lot, and established valued long-term relationships.

Back to the OP: How does a young adult 'plan' an epic summer? I see a basic dramatic problem here: if it's planned, it's a farce. If it's unplanned, it could be a hot farce, or tragedy, or your maturing trope. (Comedy: the low are brought high. Tragedy: the high are brought low. Farce: the gods fuck up everybody.) For our subject to mature, things need to happen to him, and he needs to react. He can't come-of-age by plotting-out the summer.
 
Back
Top