Soldier x Soldier - Rescued (Closed to TertiusHuman)

He got to his feet when she returned, he picked up the teddybear and a bottle of water. "Well I don't know Lt, with the short hem and open back, you might have started a new fashion."

He gave her a small smile, "I wanted to get a wheelchair, but decided against that, the best way to leave a hospital is to walk out of it."

He stepped closer and offered his arm for her to hook into, "How about I help you? You can just lean on me as much as you need."

He was actually curious if she would take up the offer, not only was it quite an "intimate" position, it was a way for her to overcome the fear of personal touch.
 
She smiled ever so faintly at his joke. But then he offered his arm. She stiffened, chewing her lower lip as she debated. Finally she stepped forward, curling Her hand around his arm. Her body jerked at the touch but it was more of a natural reaction. She swallowed hard and hoped Thor wouldn't take her reaction personally. It wasn't her reaction to him personally, it was just no she reacted to all touch. She leaned on him the further they walked, her body still was weak and sore, but she was indefinitely better that when Thor had brought her into this hospital.
 
A small step.

Of course he realized that she would not be comfortable, it was to be expected. The mental damage was deep and it would take a lot of time to heal those scars. He walked with her to the front desk, signed her out after showing her release papers and walked with her outside. In the parking lot stood the staff car that he had requested while she got dressed, the keys still inside. He walked with her to the passenger side and opened the door and helped her into the seat.

He leaned into the vehicle, placing the bear on her lap and then fastened her seat belt for her since he was quite certain her strength and hands would not handle that particular job. "OK, you will have to be strong for a few minutes Lt, I just need to grab my stuff at the barracks and then you can tell me exactly where you want to go."
 
The further they walked, the more she leaned on him, until they eventualy reached the car. She felt like a child having to be eased into the car and then buckled up, complete with the teddy bear. Nodding at his words, "I'll be fine," She assured, she could handle being alone for a few minutes, she was sure, afterall, she'd have to figure it out, it wasn't like THor could be there every single second. She idly wondered where she would want to go. SHe was at a military base in the middle of who knows where. She wasn't sure what there was to do, or when the plane would be leaving to head back to the states
 
He got in and drove the car to the Barracks, "Be right back."

He got out and jogged into the building, a few moments later he exited with a duffel bag and a laptop bag, which he placed in the car boot, then he headed into the CC office. After a few minutes he came back out with a manila envelope, getting into the car and buckling himself in, he opened the envelope and handed it to her.

"That is supposed to hold two plane tickets and a travelers cheque, the rest of your pay and severance bonus was paid into your account. Your personal belongings have been sent to your brother, so you will be able to get your clothing and other things there. So once we are State side, you are the boss Lt."
 
Kat waited patiently when he ran into the barracks and then another building. Once he returned she took the envelope looking inside. She nodded "When do we leave? My brother will pick us up from the airport. But I don't think I want to stay in Virginia." She mused softly. "I think I'll want to continue on to Montana. I was raised there and my brother has a cabin in the mountains there. I think it's exactly what I need, fresh air, very little people and a lot of quiet." She said with a smile. "I don't know what your plan is once we get stateside,but you're welcome to join me." She mused looking over at Thpr
 
"Well as far as I can gather we leave within the hour. Seems like they booked the flight as soon as you got cleared by the doctors."

He looked at her, "You are sure that you are OK to travel? I have no plans for when we get stateside, so it would be nice if I could tag along. You know, keep nosy people away looking all tough and business-like and of course help you getting some meat on those bones."

He started the car, placed it into gear and drove off. At the gate he showed his papers and after a brief inspection they were waved through.
 
Kat nodded when he said they leave within the hour. Driving on, she smiled faintly, relieved when he said that he wanted to stay with her. She didn't want him to leave her. She didn't think she could handle living alone, so if he hadn't wanted to stay with her, she likely would stay in Virginia with Hunter. They were waved through the gates after a quick inspection. Once at the airstrip, she chewed her lower lip, this was going to be a nerve wracking trip. Close quarters with any number of other people, whom she didn't know. It was going to try her ability to remain calm and not panic.
 
Thor pulled the car into the reserved area, then got out. A courier showed up and he dumped his gear on the trolley and then opened the door for Kat, he helped her out of the car and motioned for the courier to go ahead. He locked the car and walked slowly to the terminal with Kat, making sure that he was near enough for her to lean on if her legs decided that they got tired.

"Don't worry Lt, once we are through the gates and inside the plane, you can sit at the window and don't have to worry about other people at all."

They entered the cool interior and Thor lead the way to the ticket counter where he produced both their tickets and the passports. The man behind the counter stared at Kat for a few moments then at the passport. Then he looked at Thor, "Is she ill?"

Thor shook his head, "She had a tough tour and is going home."

The man shrugged and stamped their passports before handing back the tickets and passports. Thor lead the way to let Kat sit down on one of the benches and he motioned for the courier that he could handle the luggage from there. He squatted down next to Kat and looked at his watch, "We have five minutes. Can I get you something to drink or eat?"
 
Getting out of the car she gripped Thors hand tightly. She didn't need it so much for balance, her legs were fairly steady but she needed the emotional support. Walking with him she avoided looking at most people, listened to Thors conversation with the man and she'd admit it sounded good when he said she was going home. She sat in the chair he indicated and shook her head. "No. but I'm starting to regret saying no to that mild sedative the doc wanted to give me." She gripped the edge of the chair so hard her knuckles turned white.

The doc had known this would be hard and had wanted to give Kat something to help her chill out but she'd been too stubborn to accept and now she was fighting a panic attack as she watched Thor, trying to focus solely on him and calm herself down.
 
He could see that wild look coming into her eyes, well there was usually just one thing to do and since she had started to focus intently on him, that meant it made his job just so much easier. Not easy, but easier. He rested his hands on her own as he knelt there in front of her, smiling slightly at her, his voice low enough for her to hear him, but not slipping into that crooning sound. More like a far away rumble of thunder.

"It's alright Lt, I'm here, I've got you. All these people? They are not even looking at you. They are wrapped up in their own lives and they can not hurt you. They will not hurt you. You can do this, just take my hand and I can help you through this little rough patch."
 
Kat listened to the low rumbling of his voice, finding it very soothing. Her pale eyes watched him nodding at his words. "I know," she tried to keep the whimper out of her voice. "Rationally I know they don't care about me. But then one will glance at me and the fear slams into me." She turned her hand over under his, releasing her grip on the chair in order to grip his hand. It felt good to hear him say I got you. she trusted him to keep her safe even if she rationally knew she was safe. It was good to have someone there that would.

Someone spoke over the loudspeaker and Kat jerked. Then she felt like an idiot, making a noise somewhere between a whimper and a laugh she leaned forward, resting her forehead on Thor's collarbone as she tried to block out the sounds and sights of the airport.
 
She leaned into him suddenly, her face buried against his chest, her hand gripping his own. For a moment he were lost as to how to react, but there was only one thing he could do. He reached up and rested a hand on her hair, gently patting her head. He just knew that saying "there there" would be a cliche and he hated cliches.

"I found that the best way to filter out things going on around me, is to focus on something. In the beginning I focused on a good memory, trying to remember and think about what happened exactly, remember the sounds around you, the voices, feel the sensations and feelings. Try to immerse yourself into that memory like you would slide into a comfortable bath."
 
She sighed softly, surprisingly she felt better when his arm was around her, hand on her head. She felt confined in his arms and safe. She listened to his suggestion and nodded it made sense. "It's easier to focus on your voice." She murmured. "It makes me feel safe. It was the first thing I heard when I was being rescued. It has been a constant since then." She spoke softly as she remained with her head against him, one hand remained gripping his hand and her other hand released its grip on the chair but instead gripped the edge of his shirt as she tried to force herself to relax.
 
He chuckled softly,

"You picked a strange thing to focus on Lt, I am not much of a talker."

He could feel her relax just a bit, which worked perfectly for him, the more she calmed down, the better. So he started talking to her, telling her about books he read in his down time, fantasy and scifi, basically discussing them with her, keeping up a monologue for her benefit
 
Kat felt her panic level lowering as Thor spoke. Her body relaxed more and she sighed softly. After several minutes she was able to lean back off of him. Kat kept her eyes on him as she leaned back. She kept her hand gripped in his as they waited to hear their plane called for. Carefully her eyes started scanning the room, watching the people but her eyes frequently came back to Thor.
 
He gave her a smile, "There we go, that works for now."

The call for their gate came over the speakers and he raised an eyebrow, well he didn't figure that it would have taken that long to bring her down, not that he minded. He got to his feet and slipped his gear on to his back and over one shoulder, picking up her suitcase with the one hand and then held his arm for her.

"Let's go Lt, time for you to get home and get some rest."

He just hope that it went smoothly at the ticket check out, he didn't think a full blown breakdown would help her in any way. But since she wasn't wearing anything metal and he had the hospital papers with him in the envelope, he was sure that he could prevent major disasters from happening.
 
The loud speaker caused her to jump again but she didn't panic as much. Standing she gripped his arm and let him lead the way. It was indeed smooth sailing to board the plane. Settling into her seat she kept a firm grip on Thor's hand. She chewed her lower lip as she looked out the window to the airport, trying to keep herself occupied until take off. Absently her free hand played with the hem of her shirt for a few minutes before shifting info to pick at a scab on her arm. It was mostly healed and likely wouldn't even bleed but it kept her mind busy and not on the fact that the plane was filling up with people.
 
He secured their carry-on luggage, which actually just the tickets and the teddybear. He sank down next to Katherine and sighed, before buckling his seat belt. He glanced at her as she started absent mindedly picking at a scab, which was actually healing quite nicely. He contributed that to the food and the medicines, which he reminded himself, was in her luggage. He tapped her hand lightly,

"Want me to help you with that seatbelt when they ask for it to get secured? I know you won't like it, but it will just cause a scene and it will not be for too long."
 
Her skin rippled when he tapped her hand, but she didn't jump or flinch. Stopping her picking she looked over at Thor and nodded slowly. "Please. I'm not sure I could buckle it myself." She felt like a child sometimes either from her hands inability to do something as simple as buckle a seat belt or button her pants, or it was her mind that was resisting and making it difficult to do something, such as buckle herself on, therefore trapping her in the plane with so many other people. But she trusted Thor more than she trusted anyone else, so that helped her, at least she wasn't alone.
 
He gave her a small smile and leaned closer, "I bet that you could if you applied your mind to it, but for now it will be my privilege to help you."

He sat back in his seat and wagged a finger at her, "And no picking scabs, you need a nervous tick, try gripping my hand or arm, it will help your grip and it will work as a massage for me and I do need a good massage."

He glanced around, "And I do hope that you know I am going to get you up and jogging again or my name is Mary Poppins."
 
She just gave a faint smirk when he told her to grip his hand instead of picking scraps. For the first time since her capture she felt the urge to laugh, when he said he was going to get her jogging or his name was Mary Poppins, she actually chuckled. The sound seemed odd coming from her, she wasn't use to laughing. "Might take you a while. I'm still shaky just walking." Unfortunately they were some of the first people to board the plane, which meant a long wait for the rest of the passengers. But Kat handled it decently, she gripped Thor's hand instead of picking at her skin like she wanted. "You have family waiting for you back home?" She asked curiously, trying to take her mind off of her panic.
 
"Only my sister. But she can be a bit over-bearing, well to me she seems like that, but I guess it is just her way of expressing her love."

He shrugged, "When she find out that I am State-side, she would most likely demand that I come over for one evening at least."

He looked back at Kat, "And you look good when you smile, we must work on that."
 
She nods "you should see her." She said firmly, family was important. She didn't like the prospect of being away from Thor but she could tolerate it. "Hunter can handle me for you to go see her." She mused as she watched people move about the plane. When he said she looked good when she smiled, it caught her off guard, a faint smile coming again. She kept a hold of his hand but she seemed to relax more and focus more on Thor less on the people around them.
 
After the pre-flight briefing, Thor gently extracted his hand to fasten her seat belt and offered his hand once more for her. He looked around the cabin and decided that this time the flight should go easy since most of the people on board were civilians. The stewardess walked passed them, checking for the seatbelts on her way to her own seat.

After the captain's introduction and ETA predictions, the engines started to increase in volume and they taxied to the runway, Thor motioned to the window, "Oh look, from here the people down there look like ants."
 
Back
Top