The Nobel Prize (for propaganda)



Keeping an open mind about the sun

By Matt Ridley, Ph.D.
B.A. ( Oxford ), Author: Genome, A Biography In Twenty-Three Chapters


http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog/keeping-open-mind-about-sun
Correlation ain't causation.

But for some time I have been noticing that the correlations between certain aspects of solar activity and certain aspects of climate are getting really rather impressive -- far more so than anything relating to carbon dioxide.

Carbon dioxide certainly can affect climate, but so for sure can other things, and in explaining the ups and downs of past climate, before industrialisation, variations in the sun are looking better and better as an explanation. That does not mean the sun causes current climate change, but it certainly suggests that it is at least possible that forcings more powerful than carbon dioxide could be at work.

I am not yet a solar partisan in this debate, nor do I plan to become one. But I find the hypothesis that solar variation has been stronger than carbon dioxide in recent decades sufficiently intriguing that I do not see why it should be dismissed yet.

Here are some of the correlations that have impressed me. Some may be wrong, or misleading. Some come from more trustworthy [strikethrough]causes[/strikethrough] sources than others. Some might have been smoothed or otherwise manipulated. I don't really know. But it's interesting to lay them out...


more...
http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog/keeping-open-mind-about-sun
 


Thirty-two years and counting...


UAH_LT_1979_thru_Mar_2011.gif

La Nina Coolness Persists...The global average lower tropospheric temperature anomaly for March 2011 fell to -0.10 deg. C, with cooling in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheric extratropics, while the tropics stayed about the same as last month.

-Roy W. Spencer, Ph.D.
http://www.drroyspencer.com/2011/04/uah-temperature-update-for-march-2011-cooler-still-0-10-deg-c/



 
Last edited:


Scientists Often Pigeonholed By Political Debates






Interviewer: Neil Conan ( of the U.S. radio network NPR [ National Public Radio ] )

Interviewee: Richard Muller, Ph.D. ( Professor of Physics, U.C. Berkeley )


CONAN: And is it accurate to describe you as a climate change skeptic?

Prof. MULLER: I don’t think so. I’m just a scientist. People want to pigeonhole everybody in this field just to simplify the argument. They want you to be either a warmist or a skeptic or something like that. And that tends to make the argument sound like it’s a case of law in which you have lawyers arguing both sides. In fact, scientists need to be properly skeptical, and the debate is never closed. A scientific issue should always address questions that are raised and some of the skeptics raised very good questions, and I wanted to answer them.

CONAN: How much of that is attributable to humans? But do you agree that at least – does the data show that at least some part of it is attributable to humans?

Prof. MULLER: Yes, yes. It’s us. People call me a skeptic, because I drew attention to many of the exaggerations that in – is in former Vice President Al Gore’s movie. But I think a scientist has to recognize when there are exaggerations and settle down on what is solidly known. Temperature has been rising over the last 100 years. That’s pretty clear. How much is due to varying solar activity and how much due to humans is a scientific issue that we’re trying to address.

CONAN: And when this testimony came out, did you come to the impression that you had been expected to say something else?

Prof. MULLER: No, I didn’t. I have created a new project here in Berkeley – we call it Berkeley Earth – that is doing a reexamination of the global warming issue. We are addressing all of the issues that have been raised – all the legitimate issues that have been raised by the people called the skeptics. And there are some legitimate issues there. Because we listen to the skeptics, we got misclassified as a skeptical group. We’re no more skeptical than any other scientist should be skeptical.

CONAN: Do you find that, though, there is a lot of ideology in this business?

Prof. MULLER: Well, I think what’s happened is that many scientists have gotten so concerned about global warming, correctly concerned I mean they look at it and they draw a conclusion, and then they’re worried that the public has not been concerned, and so they become advocates. And at that point, it’s unfortunate, I feel that they’re not trusting the public. They’re not presenting the science to the public. They’re presenting only that aspect to the science that will convince the public. That’s not the way science works. And because they don’t trust the public, in the end the public doesn’t trust them. And the saddest thing from this, I think, is a loss of credibility of scientists because so many of them have become advocates.

CONAN: And that’s, you would say, would be at the heart of the so-called Climategate story, where emails from some scientists seemed to be working to prevent the work of other scientists from appearing in peer-reviewed journals.

Prof. MULLER: That really shook me up when I learned about that. I think that Climategate is a very unfortunate thing that happened, that the scientists who were involved in that, from what I’ve read, didn’t trust the public, didn’t even trust the scientific public. They were not showing the discordant data. That’s something that – as a scientist I was trained you always have to show the negative data, the data that disagrees with you, and then make the case that your case is stronger. And they were hiding the data, and a whole discussion of suppressing publications, I thought, was really unfortunate. It was not at a high point for science

And I really get even more upset when some other people say, oh, science is just a human activity. This is the way it happens. You have to recognize, these are people. No, no, no, no. These are not scientific standards. You don’t hide the data. You don’t play with the peer review system. We don’t do that at Berkeley.

CONAN: And Richard Muller, that’s – you get to the point where – obviously policy decisions are involved in this and people do have a stake in how it comes out and they do care very much what the science says.

Prof. MULLER: Well, I think the key thing here is for scientists to stick with the science. I don’t know – I don’t have personal experience with scientists who have been silenced. I think, in fact, most people on the field of global warming have been well-heard.

CONAN: On all sides.

Prof. MULLER: Yes, on all sides. And the one thing that I think really I would encourage is that one should not play this credentials game in which you say ignore so and so, he has no credentials in this field.

In fact, in science, no matter who raises the question, it’s a valid question. Whether it’s a citizen, another scientist or a politician, you have to be able to address these questions. And if they are scientific questions, genuinely they can be addressed. I believe that what makes science separate from many other disciplines is that in the end we all agree on the science. It’s that small realm of knowledge on which knowledgeable people will in the end reach agreement.

Prof. MULLER: Well, I agree. And I’d like to draw the distinction between a scientist and a layman. A layman is someone who is easily fooled and even fools himself. A scientist, in contrast, is someone who’s easily fooled and even fools himself and knows it and takes measures to undo that. Science has to be objective. We can’t be advocates. We have to objective. And to the extent we’re not, we’re no longer being science – scientists.

I thought the Michael Crichton book actually raise a lot of issues. I have some sympathy for the people in the field because they’re working really hard. The other groups that have measured global warming are working – many of them are working very, very hard to try to update and get better measurements, and they’re besieged with questions. It’s a full-time job, if you’re going to do nothing other than just answer the blogs and answer the public criticism.

But I felt the Crichton book raised some good issues, and there are issues that need to be addressed. We’re trying to address them maybe in more detail than other people have because we have a fresh start. We have the full set of data and we’re doing a new analysis.

CONAN: Well, given the analysis that you reached, aren’t there urgent policy decisions that need to be made?

Prof. MULLER: Oh, that’s the irony. The policy decisions are so urgent that people tend to abandon the scientific method. It’s ironic that when something’s important, they sometimes feel they have to not be so candid and unbiased because it’s urgent. I think just the opposite. When things are urgent, that’s the time the scientist has to settle down and show – do things using the unbiased methods that they’ve been taught.



http://www.npr.org/2011/04/11/135320209/climate-change-skeptic-says-warming-is-real
 

"The Ocean Wins Again"

by Willis Eschenbach
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/04/25/the-ocean-wins-again/


...OK, so I was right. The Boyce paper was nonsense, the claimed trend was spurious, plankton biomass is holding somewhere near steady or even increasing, and a number of independent records show that the Boyce et al. paper is garbage built on bad assumptions.

I bring this up for three reasons. The first is to show the continuing shabby quality of peer-review at scientific magazines when the subject is even peripherally related to climate. Nature magazine blew it again, and unfortunately, these days that’s no news at all. It’s just more shonky science from the AGW crowd … and people claim the reason the public doesn’t trust climate scientists is a “communications problem”? It’s not. It’s a garbage science problem, and all the communications theory in the world won’t fix garbage science...


http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/04/25/the-ocean-wins-again/
 


Good question!

clim_puzl2.gif

Source: NASA Science News



...it's theoretically impossible to create a "perfect" model of climate that includes all the detail of the real system.

"The climate system is too complex," Mosley-Thompson said. "Even the most complex climate model doesn't get it right. And why is that? Because who writes the climate models? Humans. What is a climate model? It's a set of equations that describes what we think we know. If you're not cognizant of a particular phenomenon, then how can you incorporate it into a climate model?"

The fact that different computer models often produce different forecasts doesn't offer much reassurance. For example, one model predicted that the Southeastern U.S. would become more jungle-like in the next century, while another model predicted the same region would become a dried-out savanna, according to Dr. John Christy, a professor of atmospheric science at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.

However, scientists can establish some degree of confidence in their computer models by seeing if the model can accurately "predict" past climate patterns that are known to science.

"Models in isolation may not be believable, but when ... a model can simulate a number of different observed climate responses, the results have more weight than mere calculation," Crowley said. "That still doesn't prove the point, but it minimizes the value of the argument, 'It's only a model.'"




http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/





http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2000/ast20oct_1/
 

Satellite-based temperature of the global Lower Atmosphere 1979-2011
University of Alabama ( Huntsville )
http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-content/uploads/UAH_LT_1979_thru_Mar_2011.gif

UAH_LT_1979_thru_Mar_2011.gif







You're trying to tell me there's an association between these two lines?

Really? Are you serious?

Never mind association— you're trying to tell me that one is an independent variable and the other is a dependent variable?

You have got to be kidding!


http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/ua...end/plot/esrl-co2/from:1979/normalise/detrend
detrend


 
Last edited:
http://www.drroyspencer.com/2011/05...ns-1955-2010-implies-low-climate-sensitivity/



Fascinating! This ties in very nicely with Kevin Trenberth's "missing heat" which must be located if the existing theoretical climatological models are accurate. With the extensive worldwide oceanic ARGO diving buoy system in operation, it is becoming increasingly difficult to believe that the "missing heat" is hiding somewhere in the ocean.




Weak Warming of the Oceans 1955-2010 Implies Low Climate Sensitivity
by Roy W. Spencer, Ph.D.
http://www.drroyspencer.com/2011/05...ns-1955-2010-implies-low-climate-sensitivity/

Assuming that the Levitus record of global oceanic heat content increase is anywhere near accurate, what might it tell us about climate sensitivity; e.g., how much global warming we might expect from increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations? As we will see, the oceans have not warmed nearly as much as would be expected if the climate system really is as sensitive as the IPCC claims.

The following now-familiar plot of ocean heat content change for the surface – 700 meter depth layer is the result of a layer average temperature increase of about 0.17 deg. C over the 55 year record:

Ocean-heat-content-0-700m-1955-2010.gif

In the meantime, global average sea surface temperatures have reportedly increased at about 3.5 times this rate, about 0.6 deg. C, based upon the HadSST2 data.

As Bob Tisdale has pointed out, the above plot expressing heat content in terms of gazillions of Joules sounds dramatic (if you didn’t know, 10^22 is 1 gazillion) — but the 0.2 deg. C warming upon which it is based?…maybe not so much.

Nevertheless, what is useful about the heat content data is that it is relatively easy to then calculate from the yearly changes in ocean heat content how much of an energy imbalance (energy flow rate into the ocean) is required to achieve such changes.

This ends up being an average of 0.2 Watts per sq. meter for the 55 year period 1955-2010…a calculation that Levitus also made. Here’s what the yearly energy imbalances look like which are required to cause the yearly changes in ocean heat content:

OHC-inferred-energy-imbalances-0-700m-1955-2010.gif


*****


...The bottom line is that the ocean has not warmed nearly as much as would be expected based upon the climate sensitivities exhibited by all of the climate models tracked by the IPCC.

Now, what I do not fully understand is why the IPCC claims that the ocean heat content increases indeed ARE consistent with the climate models, despite the relatively high sensitivity of all of the IPCC models. While some might claim that it is because warming is actually occurring much deeper in the ocean than 700 m, the vertical profiles I have seen suggest warming decreases rapidly with depth, and has been negligible at a depth of 700 m.

Also, note that I have not even addressed any natural sources of warming. If Mother Nature was also involved in the ocean warming during 1955-2010, then this would imply an even LOWER climate sensitivity than I have estimated here.

Full article:
http://www.drroyspencer.com/2011/05...ns-1955-2010-implies-low-climate-sensitivity/
 
Last edited:


From Nature on-line:



Major reform for climate body

Quirin Schiermeier

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110516/full/473261a.html?WT.ec_id=NATURE-20110519


After months of soul-searching, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has agreed on reforms intended to restore confidence in its integrity and its assessments of climate science.

Created as a United Nations body in 1988 to analyse the latest knowledge about Earth's changing climate, it has worked with thousands of scientists and shared the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007. But its reputation crumbled when its leadership failed to respond effectively to mistakes — including a notorious error about the rate of Himalayan glacier melting — that had slipped into its most recent assessment report (see Nature 463, 276–277; 2010).

That discovery coincided with the furore over leaked e-mails from the University of East Anglia's Climatic Research Unit in Norwich, UK (see Nature 462, 397; 2009). Some e-mails seemed to show that leading climate scientists, who had contributed key findings to previous IPCC reports, had tried to stifle critics.

more...
 
...The change in my written views since 2008 is most easily summarized by my rejection of argumentum ad populam ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum ). I along with many others trusted what the IPCC has done and generally supported the consensus. I no longer substitute the judgment of the IPCC for my own in my written or oral presentations. And if you think I was wrong to do so in the first place, well so do I, but most everyone else was doing it, and I fell for the argument “don’t trust what one scientist says, but trust what thousands of international scientists have to say in a formal assessment process.” The other change has been my serious investigation into the subject of scientific uncertainty, which I think has been woefully lacking in most of the field and certainly the IPCC...


http://judithcurry.com/2011/06/02/is-extreme-weather-linked-to-global-warming/#comment-73265

-Judith A. Curry, Ph.D.
Professor & Chair, School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Georgia Institute of Technology
Ph.D., Geophysical Sciences, University of Chicago, 1982
NASA Advisory Council Earth Science Subcommittee
Fellow, American Meteorological Society
Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
Fellow, American Geophysical Union

 

I hadn't seen this before and found it quite worthwhile.


____________________________

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 14, 2007
The motion:
GLOBAL WARMING IS NOT A CRISIS

For The Motion:
Michael Crichton, M.D.
Richard S. Lindzen, Ph.D.
Philip Stott

Against The Motion:
Brenda Ekwurzel
Gavin Schmidt, Ph.D.
Richard C.J. Somerville


Website: http://intelligencesquaredus.org/index.php/past-debates/global-warming-is-not-a-crisis/

Transcript: http://intelligencesquaredus.org/wp-content/uploads/GlobalWarming-edited-version-031407.pdf

Replay: http://intelligencesquaredus.org/index.php/past-debates/global-warming-is-not-a-crisis/#dm-col-a



Moderator
John Donvan is a correspondent for ABC News Nightline. He has served as ABC White House Correspondent, along with postings in Moscow, London, Jerusalem and Amman.
 
Excerpt from:

Review of The Hockey Stick Illusion, by A.W. Montford (Stacey Intl., 2010)

by Jay Lehr, B.S. (Princeton), Ph.D. ( Arizona )

... As Montford explains, the Hockey Stick refers to an attempt by global warming alarmists to mislead people into believing the Medieval Warm Period of the 13th century, when coastal Greenland was actually green, trees in California grew above today’s tree line, and wine grapes grew in places too cold to grow them today, never occurred.

As Nigel Calder, author of The Chilling Stars, explains in the foreword to The Hockey Stick Illusion, this is a thriller about code-breaking—not Hitler’s codes or al Qaeda’s codes, but computer codes programmed in a manner to produce a false claim about the temperature record.

The Hockey Stick made its grand entrance in the scientific debate in a paper published in April 1998 in the journal Nature. The senior author was a then relatively obscure scientist named Michael Mann, who had just received his Ph.D. and was serving as an adjunct faculty member at the University of Massachusetts. The paper is commonly referred to as MBH98 for the three authors, including Ray Bradley and Malcom Hughes.

The MBH98 paper describes, but does not include, the 112 sets of data the authors claimed to have studied in forming a temperature analysis of the previous millennium. The authors referred to the data as “indicators”—commonly described as “proxies”—in which tree rings and other items are asserted to convey temperatures long before humans set up a global network of mercury thermometers.

Statistical experts Steve McIntyre and Ross McKitrick suspected something was funny about the unprecedented claims made in the MBH98 paper and the authors’ failure to disclose the raw data upon which they made their claims. The Hockey Stick Illusion details how McIntyre and McKitrick spent years navigating endless roadblocks and obstacle courses to obtain the raw data and unravel the statistical gymnastics performed by the MBH98 authors to make their maverick claim current-day temperatures are higher than those of the Medieval Warm Period.

Reading Montford’s book, it is impossible to miss the parallels between McIntyre and McKitrick unraveling the MBH hockey stick scheme and federal law enforcement officials exposing the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme. One must hope fervently that Mann’s deception will get equally extensive exposure.

Mann and his coauthors used a variety of tricks to make their analysis of their unpublished data appear plausible to those not expert in statistical analysis. Montford offers clear tutorials on every one of Mann’s statistical tricks, which could make this book an excellent selection for outside reading in a college statistics course. You do not need to understand statistics to enjoy this book, but if you do, you will especially enjoy Montford’s tutorials on such things as centring, regression analysis, and principal components.

After years of investigation and analysis, McIntyre and McKitrick showed a graph of the earth’s temperature during the past thousand years does not resemble a hockey stick...


The world is indebted to Steve McIntyre, Dr. Ross McKitrick and Andrew Montford for their dogged pursuit of truth. It is horrifying to discover that this branch of science succumbed to temptation and proved unwilling to properly police itself.


 


But..., but..., Gavin, you told us, "The science is settled."


...Gavin Schmidt, a climatologist at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies and one of the founders of the RealClimate blog, said the effects of solar activity on climate over the past 30 years have been “at the margin of what we can detect.”


“They are detectable in the high atmosphere, but when you get down to the surface, there is so much other stuff going on that it’s been really hard to get a clean signal,” he told me.


One of the reasons why so little is known about solar effects on climate is that the sun’s highs and lows have been within such a narrow range in recent history.


“If we were to see a return to what’s called Maunder Minimum conditions in the next 50 years or so, that would be interesting,” Schmidt said. “I think we’d learn a lot about solar physics and solar variability. … It’s going to be scientifically very exciting if all this pans out.”


Even then, however, he estimated that the effect of greenhouse-gas emissions would be on the order of 10 times as great. “What you might see over a 20- to 30-year period is a slight slowdown in the pace of warming,” Schmidt said. “In terms of how we should think about climate change prediction in the future, reducing emissions and so on, it really wouldn’t make much of a difference.”


But what about the Little Ice Age in the 1600s, when Swiss Alpine villages were reported destroyed by encroaching glaciers? Schmidt said that period also coincided with an upswing in volcanic emissions, which are known more definitely to contribute to global cooling.


“Parsing out how much of that was solar, how much of that was volcanic and how much of that was just noise … that’s tricky,” Schmidt said...


http://judithcurry.com/2011/06/15/solar-snooze-discussion-thread/

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/06/14/6857473-solar-forecast-hints-at-a-big-chill


 

There are verrrrrrrrrry interesting things going on. Basically, the IPCC has been caught red-handed using Greenpeace material and passing it off as IPCC "research." A prominent English science journalist/blogger and adherent of the orthodoxy by the name of Mark Lynas is outraged by the deception.


An opening mind. Part II

Posted on June 17, 2011
by Judith Curry, Ph.D.

Mark Lynas has a new post up entitled “Questions the IPCC must now urgently answer.” It is even more powerful than his previous post. I may not be able to predict the climate, but I think I can predict certain outcomes in the climate debate.



Lynas’ previous post has sparked a blogospheric furor. Some responses to the criticisms and challenges to the IPCC are in his latest post. Some excerpts:

How is the Exxon scenario different from what has just happened with the IPCC’s renewables report? And why – when confronted with this egregious conflict of interest and abuse of scientific independence – has the response of the world’s green campaigners been to circle the wagons and cry foul against the whistle-blowers themselves? That this was spotted at all is a tribute to the eagle eyes of Steve McIntyre. Yet I am told that he is a ‘denier’, that all his deeds are evil, and that I have been naively led astray by him. Well, if the ‘deniers’ are the only ones standing up for the integrity of the scientific process, and the independence of the IPCC, then I too am a ‘denier’. Indeed, McIntyre and I have formed an unlikely double-act, posing a series of questions – together with the New York Times’s Andy Revkin – to the IPCC report’s lead author Professor Ottmar Edenhofer, to which he has yet to respond.

No your eyes don’t deceive you. Lynas has upped Curry’s heresy with “then I too am a denier.”

more at:
http://judithcurry.com/2011/06/17/an-opening-mind-part-ii/



Mark Lynas' original blog entry "Questions the IPCC must now urgently answer" can be found at:
http://www.marklynas.org/2011/06/questions-the-ipcc-must-now-urgently-answer/

Here’s the scenario. An Exxon-Mobil employee – admittedly an energy specialist with an engineering background – serves as a lead author on an important IPCC report looking into the future of fossil fuels. The Exxon guy and his fellow lead authors assess a whole variety of literature, but select for special treatment four particular papers – one produced by Exxon-Mobil. This paper heralds great things for the future of fossil fuels, suggesting they can supply 80% of the world’s energy in 2050, and this headline is the first sentence of the ensuing IPCC press release, which is picked up and repeated uncritically the world’s media. Pleased, the Exxon employee issues a self-congratulatory press release boasting that his paper had been central to the IPCC effort, and urging the world’s governments to get on with opening up new areas to oil drilling for the benefit of us all.



Well. You can imagine the furore this would cause at Greenpeace. The IPCC would be discredited forever as an independent voice. There would be pious banner-drops by Greenpeace activists abseiling down Exxon HQ and harshly criticising the terrible stranglehold that fossil fuel interests had achieved over supposedly independent science. Campaigners everywhere would be up in arms. Greenpeace would feel doubly justified in taking direct action against new oil wells being opened up in the Arctic, and its activists could demonstrate new feats of gallantry and bravery as they took on the might of the world’s oil industry with some ropes and a rubber dinghy somewhere near Greenland...

Lynas blog entry: "New IPCC error: renewables report conclusion was dictated by Greenpeace"

http://www.marklynas.org/2011/06/ne...report-conclusion-was-dictated-by-greenpeace/

 


Run Away! The “Anthropocene” is coming!!!

by David Middleton

I just love it when the authors of these sorts of articles start out with a series of mistakes…


The Anthropocene: Can Humans Survive A Human Age?

by Adam Frank

About 12,000 years ago (give or take a thousand) the glaciers covering much of the northern hemisphere disappeared and an ice age gripping the Earth ended. The planet became warmer, wetter and entered the geological era scientists call the Holocene. Marked by a stable climate, the Holocene has been good to humans. The entire history of our civilization (agriculture, city building, writing etc.) is bound within the Holocene and its bounty of productive land and oceans.

Now, it appears, the Holocene is over…

[...]

NPR http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2011/...n-humans-survive-a-human-age?ft=1&f=114424647

The author, an astrophysicist, must have never taken a course in Quaternary geology.

Mistake #1: “About 12,000 years ago (give or take a thousand) the glaciers covering much of the northern hemisphere disappeared and an ice age gripping the Earth ended.”

The glaciers retreated; but we are still very much in the grip of an ice age that began about 35 million years ago (the x-axes of first four graphs are denominated in millions of years ago (MYA) – Today is to the left)…


Zachos_67mya.png


The boundary between the Eocene and Oligocene marks the beginning of the Cenozoic ice age. It’s the fourth major ice age of the Phanerozoic Eon…

PhanerozoicCO2vTemp.png


The Holocene is an interglacial period within an ice age. The only thing that distinguishes the Holocene from previous Pleistocene interglacial episodes is the fact that modern man migrated out of Africa and hunted the megafauna of Europe and North America into extinction…

Quaternary.png


Yes… I know that there’s not much evidence that our ancestors were capable of causing so much extinction prior to the invention of capitalism – But those megafauna had coped with all of the previous glacial-interglacial cycles just fine, so long as our ancestors stayed in Africa.

At this point in time there is no reason to assume that the Holocene marked the end of the Cenozoic ice age… There’s not even any reason to think that it marked the end of very cold Quaternary Period…


Neogene-1.png


Mistake #2: “Marked by a stable climate, the Holocene has been good to humans.”

The Holocene has been a heck of a lot more stable than the preceding Pleistocene glacial episode (the x-axes of next three graphs are denominated in calendar years – Today is to the right)…


alley.png


But it has been far from stable…

GISP2_Ljung_HadCRUT_10kya.png


And it hasn’t always been nice to humans…

Ljungqvist_HadCRUT3.png


The Holocene of the Dark Ages Cold Period and Little Ice Age were quite often very unkind to humans.

Will there one day be a clear geological distinction between the “Anthropocene” and the Holocene and the rest of the Quaternary? I seriously doubt it – But no one will know for hundreds of thousands of years.

Professor Frank started out with a paragraph-full of mistakes; which then formed the basis of his sheer speculation about the Anthropocene’s future relevance in the geologic record.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/06/24/run-away-the-anthropocene-is-coming/
 
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/jul/01/climate-data-uea



Oxford academic wins right to read UEA climate data

Decision by information commissioner hailed as landmark ruling in favour of public access to scientific research


by Fred Pearce
Friday 1 July 2011

An Oxford academic has won the right to read previously secret data on climate change held by the University of East Anglia (UEA). The decision, by the government's information commissioner, Christopher Graham, is being hailed as a landmark ruling that will mean that thousands of British researchers are required to share their data with the public.


The ruling also marks a victory for critics of the UEA and its Climatic Research Unit in the "climategate" affair. It comes at the end of a two-year rearguard action by UEA climate scientists to prevent publication of their "crown jewels", an archive of world temperature records collected jointly with the Met Office.


Jonathan Jones, physics professor at Oxford University and self-confessed "climate change agnostic", used freedom of information law to demand the data that is the life's work of the head of the University of East Anglia's Climatic Research Unit, Phil Jones. UEA resisted the requests to disclose the data, but this week it was compelled to do so.


Graham gave the UEA one month to deliver the data, which includes more than 4m individual thermometer readings taken from 4,000 weather stations over the past 160 years. The commissioner's office said this was his first ruling on demands for climate data made in the wake of the climategate affair.


Critics of the UEA's scientists say an independent analysis of the temperature data may reveal that Phil Jones and his colleagues have misinterpreted the evidence of global warming. They may have failed to allow for local temperature influences, such as the growth of cities close to many of the thermometers.


But Jonathan Jones, who is not a climate scientist, said he thought "the most significant features of this decision are the precedents that have been set". The commissioner is likely to rule more generally in favour of public access to scientific data.


Under the 2000 Freedom of Information Act, public bodies such as universities have to share their data unless there are good reasons not to. But when Jonathan Jones and others asked for the data in the summer of 2009, the UEA said legal exemptions applied. It said variously that the temperature data were the property of foreign meteorological offices; were intellectual property that might be valuable if sold to other researchers; and were in any case often publicly available.


But in a damning verdict, Graham said suggestions that international relations could be upset by disclosure were "highly speculative", and "it is not clear how UEA might have planned to commercially exploit the information requested."


Jonathan Jones said this week that he took up the cause of data freedom after Steve McIntyre, a Canadian mathematician, had requests for the data turned down. He thought this was an unreasonable response when Phil Jones had already shared the data with academic collaborators, including Prof Peter Webster of the Georgia Institute of Technology in the US. He asked to be given the data already sent to Webster, and was also turned down. So he appealed to the information commissioner.


"I am extremely concerned about the apparent pattern of secrecy and evasion," he said. "My sole aim [in pursuing the case] is to help restore climate science to something more closely resembling scientific norms."


more...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/jul/01/climate-data-uea
 
Freeman Dyson, Ph.D.


An excerpt from "The Civil Heretic" thread ( quoted by Judith Curry, Ph.D. on her blog Climate, Etc. )

http://judithcurry.com/2011/07/02/the-civil-heretic/


It was reasonably accurate on details, because they did send a fact-checker. So I was able to correct the worst mistakes. But what I could not correct was the general emphasis of the thing. He had his agenda. Obviously he wanted to write a piece about global warming and I was just the instrument for that, and I am not so much interested in global warming. He portrayed me as sort of obsessed with the subject, which I am definitely not. To me it is a very small part of my life. I don’t claim to be an expert. I never did. I simply find that a lot of these claims that experts are making are absurd. Not that I know better, but I know a few things. My objections to the global warming propaganda are not so much over the technical facts, about which I do not know much, but it’s rather against the way those people behave and the kind of intolerance to criticism that a lot of them have. I think that’s what upsets me.


I think the difference between me and most of the experts is that I think I have a much wider view of the whole subject. I was involved in climate studies seriously about 30 years ago. That’s how I got interested. There was an outfit called the Institute for Energy Analysis at Oak Ridge. I visited Oak Ridge many times, and worked with those people, and I thought they were excellent. And the beauty of it was that it was multi-disciplinary. There were experts not just on hydrodynamics of the atmosphere, which of course is important, but also experts on vegetation, on soil, on trees, and so it was sort of half biological and half physics. And I felt that was a very good balance.


And there you got a very strong feeling for how uncertain the whole business is, that the five reservoirs of carbon all are in close contact — the atmosphere, the upper level of the ocean, the land vegetation, the topsoil, and the fossil fuels. They are all about equal in size. They all interact with each other strongly. So you can’t understand any of them unless you understand all of them. Essentially that was the conclusion. It’s a problem of very complicated ecology, and to isolate the atmosphere and the ocean just as a hydrodynamics problem makes no sense.


Well, both. I mean it’s a fact that they don’t know how to model it. And the question is, how does it happen that they end up believing their models? But I have seen that happen in many fields. You sit in front of a computer screen for 10 years and you start to think of your model as being real. It is also true that the whole livelihood of all these people depends on people being scared. Really, just psychologically, it would be very difficult for them to come out and say, “Don’t worry, there isn’t a problem.” It’s sort of natural, since their whole life depends on it being a problem. I don’t say that they’re dishonest. But I think it’s just a normal human reaction. It’s true of the military also. They always magnify the threat. Not because they are dishonest; they really believe that there is a threat and it is their job to take care of it. I think it’s the same as the climate community, that they do in a way have a tremendous vested interest in the problem being taken more seriously than it is.

-Freeman Dyson, Ph.D.​
 
New NASA Data Blow Gaping Hole In Global Warming Alarmism

By James Taylor | Forbes – Wed, Jul 27, 2011

New NASA Data Blow Gaping Hole In Global Warming Alarmism
NASA satellite data from the years 2000 through 2011 show the Earth's atmosphere is allowing far more heat to be released into space than alarmist computer models have predicted, reports a new study in the peer-reviewed science journal Remote Sensing. The study indicates far less future global warming will occur than United Nations computer models have predicted, and supports prior studies indicating increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide trap far less heat than alarmists have claimed.

--------------------------

Opps.
 


Jonathan Jones is a professor of physics at Oxford. The following comment can be found at: http://bishophill.squarespace.com/b...dington-challenge.html?currentPage=2#comments


People have asked why mainstream scientists are keeping silent on these issues. As a scientist who has largely kept silent, at least in public, I have more sympathy for silence than most people here. It's not for the obvious reason, that speaking out leads to immediate attacks, not just from Gavin and friends, but also from some of the more excitable commentators here. Far more importantly most scientists are reluctant to speak out on topics which are not their field. We tend to trust our colleagues, perhaps unreasonably so, and are also well aware that most scientific questions are considerably more complex than outsiders think, and that it is entirely possible that we have missed some subtle but critical point.

However, "hide the decline" is an entirely different matter. This is not a complicated technical matter on which reasonable people can disagree: it is a straightforward and blatant breach of the fundamental principles of honesty and self-criticism that lie at the heart of all true science. The significance of the divergence problem is immediately obvious, and seeking to hide it is quite simply wrong. The recent public statements by supposed leaders of UK science, declaring that hiding the decline is standard scientific practice are on a par with declarations that black is white and up is down. I don't know who they think they are speaking for, but they certainly aren't speaking for me.

I have watched Judy Curry with considerable interest since she first went public on her doubts about some aspects of climate science, an area where she is far more qualified than I am to have an opinion. Her latest post has clearly kicked up a remarkable furore, but she was right to make it. The decision to hide the decline, and the dogged refusal to admit that this was an error, has endangered the credibility of the whole of climate science. If the rot is not stopped then the credibility of the whole of science will eventually come into question.

Judy's decision to try to call a halt to this mess before it's too late is brave and good. So please cut her some slack; she has more than enough problems to deal with at the moment.

If you're wondering who I am, then you can find me at the Physics Department at Oxford University.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:29 PM | Jonathan Jones

http://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/323/about-brasenose-31/academic-staff-150/professor-jonathan-jones-457.html
 
Last edited:
http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2011/PR15.11E.html

In a paper published in the journal Nature today, the CLOUD experiment at CERN has reported its first results. The CLOUD experiment has been designed to study the effect of cosmic rays on the formation of atmospheric aerosols - tiny liquid or solid particles suspended in the atmosphere - under controlled laboratory conditions. Atmospheric aerosols are thought to be responsible for a large fraction of the seeds that form cloud droplets. Understanding the process of aerosol formation is therefore important for understanding the climate.

The CLOUD results show that trace vapours assumed until now to account for aerosol formation in the lower atmosphere can explain only a tiny fraction of the observed atmospheric aerosol production. The results also show that ionisation from cosmic rays significantly enhances aerosol formation. Precise measurements such as these are important in achieving a quantitative understanding of cloud formation, and will contribute to a better assessment of the effects of clouds in climate models.
 
Last edited:


Wow! Just wow!


Judith A. Curry, Ph.D.
http://judithcurry.com/2011/08/29/acs-webinar-on-climate-change-part-ii/


Slide #6
http://curryja.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/uncertainty-monster-acs.ppt


Sources of uncertainty: External Forcing

The level of scientific understanding of radiative forcing is ranked by the AR4 as high only for the long-lived greenhouse gases, but low for solar irradiance, aerosol effects, and others

Simulations for the AR4 used outdated solar forcing (identified from Chapter 2).

Large uncertainties particularly in aerosol forcing.

Modeling groups selected their preferred forcing data sets using inverse modeling, whereby the magnitude of “uncertain parameters is varied in order to provide a best fit to the observational record.”


Richard Lindzen, Ph.D.
http://curryja.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/acs-2011-lindzen.pdf

Ross McKitrick, Ph.D.
http://curryja.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/mckitrick_acs_august.ppt

Robert Carter, Ph.D.
http://curryja.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/carter-acs.ppt





 
Last edited:
Back
Top