Writing Haiku for for Corporate Clients Paying $200-300/hour? These Three Did It!

Laurel

Kitty Mama
Writing Haiku for Corporate Clients Paying $200-300/hour? These Three Did It!

Saw this and thought of you all :heart:

3043172-inline-s-3-these-poets-yes-poets-make-225-an-hour.jpg

Two guys and a girl
Crafting Haiku at events
Earning good money.

"Our mission is to write haiku for everyone on the whole entire planet," says Lisa Markuson, the one woman in the poetry-writing trio The Haiku Guys.

This might seem a bit ambitious, but given how frequently Markuson and her cofounders, Erick Szentmiklosy and Daniel Zaltsman, are hired to write poems at events, this goal might not be too far-fetched. Over the last year, they’ve been booked for fundraising galas, wine shop openings, indie film nights, weddings, and countless other events. Big companies absolutely love them: Their corporate client list includes Bloomberg, Google, Barnes & Noble, Steve Madden, and J. P. Morgan. And they’re a fixture at music festivals like Sweetgreen and dance parties like Daybreaker.
[...]
Charging between $200 and $250 per hour, The Haiku Guys are able to rake in serious money by writing poems at events, especially since they sometimes attend up to six a week. None of the founders have quit their day jobs yet, though: Markuson and Zaltsman work at social media startups, while Szentmiklosy is a business consultant. "We all have jobs that we really care about and that are really important to us, so we’re not planning to become full-time poets anytime soon," Markuson says.​
- read the full article How To Make $225 An Hour Writing Poetry (from Fast Company)

Wow! Thanks Laurel! And haiku are so easy (well not if you do them the right way, but most people don't seem to know the difference). Hmmm...sonnets are easy, too. ;)

Wow! Thanks Laurel! And haiku are so easy (well not if you do them the right way, but most people don't seem to know the difference). Hmmm...sonnets are easy, too. ;)
I'll bet you could do a vanity fib given a favourite thing from a potential PS or even an AS. That would be very interesting. Anyone got a birthday party in Angie's town comin up? (pimpin' out my poetry ho')

I'll bet you could do a vanity fib given a favourite thing from a potential PS or even an AS. That would be very interesting. Anyone got a birthday party in Angie's town comin up? (pimpin' out my poetry ho')

I could (and so could you)! The fib and the AS forms are really stuck in my head now. The question is though do I really want to write poetry about (for example) Valvoline Motor Oil? :D

Typical, not something I can hire myself out for ........... bring back the Ballad I say. I could make a fortune! Somebody asked me to write a poem for her deceased friend incorporating the fact that they called each other shit head and the like. I still haven't found my muse on that one!

Brilliant Newz !!!

Saw this and thought of you all :heart:

3043172-inline-s-3-these-poets-yes-poets-make-225-an-hour.jpg

Two guys and a girl
Crafting Haiku at events
Earning good money.

"Our mission is to write haiku for everyone on the whole entire planet," says Lisa Markuson, the one woman in the poetry-writing trio The Haiku Guys.

This might seem a bit ambitious, but given how frequently Markuson and her cofounders, Erick Szentmiklosy and Daniel Zaltsman, are hired to write poems at events, this goal might not be too far-fetched. Over the last year, they’ve been booked for fundraising galas, wine shop openings, indie film nights, weddings, and countless other events. Big companies absolutely love them: Their corporate client list includes Bloomberg, Google, Barnes & Noble, Steve Madden, and J. P. Morgan. And they’re a fixture at music festivals like Sweetgreen and dance parties like Daybreaker.
[...]
Charging between $200 and $250 per hour, The Haiku Guys are able to rake in serious money by writing poems at events, especially since they sometimes attend up to six a week. None of the founders have quit their day jobs yet, though: Markuson and Zaltsman work at social media startups, while Szentmiklosy is a business consultant. "We all have jobs that we really care about and that are really important to us, so we’re not planning to become full-time poets anytime soon," Markuson says.​
- read the full article How To Make $225 An Hour Writing Poetry (from Fast Company)

WOWWWWW!!!!

I could (and so could you)! The fib and the AS forms are really stuck in my head now. The question is though do I really want to write poetry about (for example) Valvoline Motor Oil? :D

I have a cousin (an engineer) who can wax lyrical about the relative viscosity of heavy engine oils (At different temperatures) He has an oil recycling business where old used oil is cleaned up, re-filtered re-blended and used again. But a poet he ain't.

I have a cousin (an engineer) who can wax lyrical about the relative viscosity of heavy engine oils (At different temperatures) He has an oil recycling business where old used oil is cleaned up, re-filtered re-blended and used again. But a poet he ain't.

My daughter's boyfriend is an engineer, too, and he could probably do the same. He's also not a poet though but he is a musician so maybe he could write a song about it. :D

Sounds about right. Amateurs paying to write poetry.

Last edited:
now that's what i'm calling a dream job
Seeing the sacred flowers
is to see the world
The trees make paper you see?

Haiku (American style) is very easy.

Incidentally, it makes most sense to have a Haiku be also a Koan.

Last edited:

To write a haiku
on Valvoline Motor Oil
insert in line two

Back