The official Authors' Hangout Summer Lovin' 2019 Support Thread

oggbashan

Dying Truth seeker
It is the last day of submissions to the 2019 Nude Day contest so I have started this thread now for those authors who take some time to get writing.

Summer Lovin'
themes: warm weather, summer activities, bikinis, etc.
starts: August 21
closes: September 6
winners announced: September 13

As usual, this thread is to SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE authors to enter stories in the 2019 Summer Lovin' Contest. Get your characters warm, hot and bothered, and sexy.

There is an advantage to entering stories in one of Literotica's themed contests, apart from the possibility of winning, and that is that your story gets far more exposure and attention than it would normally do.

Some of that attention might be unwelcome, some abusive, but some could be appreciative and helpful.

Seeing as how I will miss the deadline for Nude Day, another in a long string of contest deadline misses, I've got my sights on the summer contest. I've got the story figured out and the first chapter done but I have a lot of writing to do. 40 days should be enough time, but will it be?

I returned to the forum right in the middle of the Nude Day contest, which really put a limit on how long and complex I could make my story before the deadline. Now that I'm actually on time for this one, I think I'll try something a bit longer than the 9k of my last one. I already have an idea, too...

I finished a rough first draft of Summer Lovin' recently so I'm now in the stage of bombarding myself with wonky thoughts like, "I should have described some cute body paint on so-and-so's ass," and thinking every humorous RL incident at outdoor nudist venues is something I should go home and work into the story. This one is gonna require some editing...

After some sorting and a little editing here and there, I now have four stories ready. One one page, one two pages, and two three pages. I love it when a plan comes together. :)

My Nude Day entry could have gone here as well. It’s winter here and belting down rain so thinking about summer is a good thing.

Coffee and sex on the beach...

Russ

I'm currently working on an idea, and I'd love to have the contest deadline as a motivator, but I'm not sure if the story is a good fit for Summer Lovin' or not.

Basically, the story involves sex with a variety of fairy creature's (pixies, boggens, sluagh, etc) during the Seelie, or Summer, court. I've been studying up on the Good Folk and I'm sure the story needs to emphasize a summer setting; the Unseelie winter court would be all wrong for my idea. There will be lots of green and sun and light, breezy clothing.

I'm just concerned that the Nonhuman category might not go over well with contest readers. I'd like the story to find an appreciative audience.

So, any advice from more experienced Summer Lovin' authors? Is my idea a good fit? Or should I find a better venue?

Seeing as how I will miss the deadline for Nude Day, another in a long string of contest deadline misses, I've got my sights on the summer contest. I've got the story figured out and the first chapter done but I have a lot of writing to do. 40 days should be enough time, but will it be?
Coming soon to a theatre near you: Doctor Doom and the Great Procrastinator, a thrilling story of...

Forty days was long enough for Noah, but maybe not quite long enough for you. Do what I did in 2018, forget about contests, anthologies, deadlines, and just finish the damn thing!

Suzie will bring you coffee whilst you get the job done ;).

EB looks out the window at another winter's day, and mutters, "Bloody Americans and their summer contest. It'll be bloody Halloween next."

EB looks out the window at another winter's day, and mutters, "Bloody Americans and their summer contest. It'll be bloody Halloween next."

I'll be the first to admit, we Yanks deserve most of the blame we get, but this time I think your quarrel is just as much with the Canadians, English, Irish, Welsh, and Scots. Maybe the Indians too. The South Africans and Kiwis are probably the only other blameless folks this time.

The contest comes too late in the Northern hemisphere to rev the imagination up and just the wrong time altogether in the southern hemisphere.

With a little luck, my planned 'One Night In XXX' entry may be ready to submit in the Summer Lovin' contest.

Maybe.

I'm currently working on an idea, and I'd love to have the contest deadline as a motivator, but I'm not sure if the story is a good fit for Summer Lovin' or not.

Basically, the story involves sex with a variety of fairy creature's (pixies, boggens, sluagh, etc) during the Seelie, or Summer, court. I've been studying up on the Good Folk and I'm sure the story needs to emphasize a summer setting; the Unseelie winter court would be all wrong for my idea. There will be lots of green and sun and light, breezy clothing.

I'm just concerned that the Nonhuman category might not go over well with contest readers. I'd like the story to find an appreciative audience.

So, any advice from more experienced Summer Lovin' authors? Is my idea a good fit? Or should I find a better venue?

Considering my story is about a couple trying to get pregnant during the summer solstice, it’s the perfect venue for a story like yours!

I mean, I’d read it.

Do what I did in 2018, forget about contests, anthologies, deadlines, and just finish the damn thing!

Suzie will bring you coffee whilst you get the job done ;).

I can't argue with this advice. I just seem to have a hard time following it.

I can get my own coffee. Give Suzie a break.

I think I just finished one for this contest. I'll go look...

;)

I had a wonderful beginning for a Nude Day Contest story, but it fizzled out in a most disappointing way and refused to be resurrected. However, I did start a little romance involving a hot blonde in a convertible. It fits the summer theme and I may actually have a chance of finishing it in time. We shall see.

I am amazed at those of you who already have a story ready. How? How do you do it???

I had a wonderful beginning for a Nude Day Contest story, but it fizzled out in a most disappointing way and refused to be resurrected. However, I did start a little romance involving a hot blonde in a convertible. It fits the summer theme and I may actually have a chance of finishing it in time. We shall see.

I am amazed at those of you who already have a story ready. How? How do you do it???

My personal record? about 28 hours from "I don't have a fucking clue and aren't even thinking about entering that contest" to SUBMIT. That story did pretty well, too.

Sometimes, it just flows.

Still working on one, which is already the longest Lit story I've ever written and could end up being several more Lit-pages by the time I'm done. Might finish it in time, might not.

Some writers work in advance. There's no rule stating you can't start your story before the contest starts, and as such some writers have their stories already (mostly) done when the submissions open and can send them in right away. For the others, like Voboy's example: everyone writes at a different pace. Also depends on length of the story, of course. I don't count myself as a fast writer, and not one with a consistent speed either. I've managed to write 1-2k words a day sometimes, and I've had days I struggled for a few hundred.

Some writers work in advance. There's no rule stating you can't start your story before the contest starts, and as such some writers have their stories already (mostly) done when the submissions open and can send them in right away. For the others, like Voboy's example: everyone writes at a different pace. Also depends on length of the story, of course. I don't count myself as a fast writer, and not one with a consistent speed either. I've managed to write 1-2k words a day sometimes, and I've had days I struggled for a few hundred.

Mine's been done for some time. I had somebody ask me to write to a given fantasy. I did and had a lot of fun with it. I was about to submit it when it occurred to me that it would make a splendiferous entry for this contest. The individual was most gracious when I asked and it will be posted as soon as the contest rules permit.

Sometimes things just work out.

One way to do it is to miss the previous deadlines for a contest twice. I have a Halloween story that I started two years ago for that year's contest. It's still not done but it's close and I'm sure I can get it submitted this time.

In many cases I've written the story months in advance just because I keep a large backlog of written stories and I haven't written the story with a contest in mind--I just match already-written stories to a later contest theme.

Back