Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 12-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #326
NotWise
Snipe hunter

My holliday story was the second in a chain of stories that shared a common female protagonist. It was published first so that I didn't break any contest rules.

I published the first story today in EC. The contest story was in Mature. We're not even through the first day yet, and the non-contest story is whipping the contest story in views, and score. It's running a little behind in votes. Really, in less than a day the non-contest story has more than half the views of the contest story has in three weeks.

It makes me wonder how much value there is--at least for some kinds of stories--to be entered in a contest.

Love is Enough, is a sentimental ghost story about two flappers haunting an old theater, and what an aspiring playwright means to them.
My most recent story is Stinky and Fudd.
For the moment, I'm taking a writing break. I'll write again when it feels good.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #327
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
My holliday story was the second in a chain of stories that shared a common female protagonist. It was published first so that I didn't break any contest rules.

I published the first story today in EC. The contest story was in Mature. We're not even through the first day yet, and the non-contest story is whipping the contest story in views, and score. It's running a little behind in votes. Really, in less than a day the non-contest story has more than half the views of the contest story has in three weeks.

It makes me wonder how much value there is--at least for some kinds of stories--to be entered in a contest.
I think a lot depends on category. I've posted one story in Mature that could equally have gone into First Time or BDSM and the views it got in Mature were way less than it would likely have got in First Time. I also find not a lot of readers follow you cross categories. Some do but most seem not to.

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology
And Chloe's first novel, "Mistaken Identity", is also now available (on that website that sells books)

Last edited by ChloeTzang : 12-16-2017 at 04:44 AM.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:46 PM   #328
RejectReality
Literotica Guru

Don't know why you didn't get a stronger response in Mature. The tagline points out the age difference, and nothing outside the readership's preferences jumped out at me in a quick skim. It should have touched all the triggers. ( though it's a little short for what I call the "sweet spot" of 3 pages )

Score? Yeah, I can see that. People score contest stories more critically. Not getting the views and votes has me baffled, though. The only thing I can think of is if you got bombed early and hard, leaving you surrounded by H stories. That could depress your views.

Your score is also higher ( significantly higher than around half of them ) than 3/4 of the currently listed stories on the EC hub, so that could potentially be driving readership in that category on the new story. If it had an H at any point during the day, that could have driven it even more.

No matter what, I think the circumstances are outliers. Contests are some of the biggest drivers of new readership, and always have been. Don't let it discourage you from jumping in on the next one.

Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

Coming In Third

05/15/18
Smooth Operator

05/21/18
Her Own Skin

07/05/18
Fill 'Er Up

07/06/18
Hooters

07/18/18
Her Flock Trilogy

08/21/18

Old 12-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #329
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RejectReality View Post
Don't know why you didn't get a stronger response in Mature.
Well, it's a very small category so maybe a strong response is hard to expect.

This was actually my second contest entry in a row that I posted in Mature. The first one (for the Summer contest) was handled by the Mature readers like a dirty diaper. They kept the score down to 4.25 or so until it slipped off their hub. The contest sweeps brought it up to 4.59 (median in the contest) and since then, with the story off the hub, it's risen to 4.61.

I didn't expect a huge response on either of the contest stories I posted to Mature, but I'd have to have a stroke or something to post anything more to Mature.

Love is Enough, is a sentimental ghost story about two flappers haunting an old theater, and what an aspiring playwright means to them.
For the moment, I'm taking a writing break. I'll write again when it feels good.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #330
Voboy
Really Really Experienced

Funny. A story about having a stroke would fit right into Mature.

Rimshot. How’s that for a double-entendre?

Old 12-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #331
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voboy View Post
Funny. A story about having a stroke would fit right into Mature.

Rimshot. How’s that for a double-entendre?
Well-played sir. Very well played.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #332
RejectReality
Literotica Guru

I'm going to have to give both parts of this one and the earlier story a full read later this evening and see if I can find anything that I think is outside the readership's preferences in Mature.

I'll drop you a PM if I see anything. If you don't get one, assume I'm still baffled as to why the readers didn't respond in normal fashion. LOL

Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

Coming In Third

05/15/18
Smooth Operator

05/21/18
Her Own Skin

07/05/18
Fill 'Er Up

07/06/18
Hooters

07/18/18
Her Flock Trilogy