How did your garden grow?

what a pleasant thought...

That's it. I'm moving to the east coast.

I have to clean up my raised beds...they are a mess of weeds from some bags of composted manure I bought....so full of weed seed...it has ruined my garden...I am tempted to just shovel the beds away and start over
 
I grow many things here in South Australia, weather is very hot and dry, Eco oil is good for getting rid of aphids but it's the lorrikeets than destroy most of my fruit.
 
Last edited:
At our rural hamlet at 4000 ft / 1200 m in California's central Sierra Nevada range, most of the potted herbs on the sheltered porch railing made it, although a black bear did some damage. There's bear poop under the fig and plum trees too, so we know where those fruits went.

Deer take down the meadow flowers and anything else blooming around the place. A puma takes down the deer beyond the neighbor's yard. Whatever the bear and deer miss, our wild turkey flock gobbles up.

The coleus in the kitchen window did okay.
 
No personal record setters this year but I averaged pretty well.

:cool:
 
gasp....

At our rural hamlet at 4000 ft / 1200 m in California's central Sierra Nevada range, most of the potted herbs on the sheltered porch railing made it, although a black bear did some damage. There's bear poop under the fig and plum trees too, so we know where those fruits went.

Deer take down the meadow flowers and anything else blooming around the place. A puma takes down the deer beyond the neighbor's yard. Whatever the bear and deer miss, our wild turkey flock gobbles up.

The coleus in the kitchen window did okay.

I think I will stay out east where the worse I face is deer and racoon...

and poison ivy....:D
 
Both fruit trees planted last year are in blossom.

New frog in the garden.

Just started settling seedlings. Need to get the sunflowers on the go.

What's the proverb about people who plant trees?
 
The deer haven't eaten everything yet but the season is young. Window-box herbs are probably safe.
 
I've been busy clearing up the yard and working on the house playing catch up. Once I started, I simply kept going with that. Shame though, I have such rich soil around me. The garden will have to wait until next year I suppose,

I'm planning a winter garden that will be both beautiful and tactfully placed.
 
After a cold and damp Spring we have managed a few days of gardening.

I bought myself a pressure washer to replace the secondhand one that died. I used it to clean the salt sea spray off the windows so we could see the garden. We have to have salt-tolerant plants - all weeds seem to love salt - and the plants we want took some time to get going. The small pond has its usual wildlife of water-boatmen. Frogs and toads don't like getting too hot in summer, too cold in winter, and salt...

The grass has been cut twice now, reducing the dandelions, and the grass is beginning to look something like a lawn. We planted new plant purchases yesterday. Will they survive salt? Garden experts aren't very reliable on seaside gardens.

For years we had tomatoes self-seeding in our front garden, picked ready salted.

Did I mention we have a problem with salt? :rolleyes:
 
So far, so good. 5 tomatoes. Two got a little damage from cold but have come out of it. One already has tomatoes on it. Also spinach, asst. lettuces, radishes, green onions, strawberries, cherries, pears, apples and asst. herbs.
 
Now, getting my head out of Sue's garden, I think my own is going to wait until next spring. This year it's all about getting the yard and patio under control.

I'll settle for some nice deck planters, and maybe just, maybe a plum tomato or two.
 
oh no!

why did you wash them!

serve them to friends who appreciate you.

I prefer to wash my zucchini when I take them from the garden...then afterwards...well, eventually, I put them on the grill.... :)

I mean, I have a friend or two over....we select delicious looking prospects...have a drink while the coals in the grill get hot...while away the time...you know...things happen....

but it is all good
 
Now that's a garden party that I'm all over. The anticipation of devouring something fresh from your garden definitely has me in a Springlike mood.
 
strawberry blossums...

...(I cannot believe I need spellcheck for such a short title)
..
anyway...my patch promises to yield a bounty...the delicate white flowers bearing the delicious red...oh so juicey ...oh I cannot wait!
 
Aargh. About an 8" section of my radishes and spinach were picked clean earlier. Had to have been a human. An animal would have been more random. I wouldn't even mind if they had gone to some hungry person but they weren't even ready to pick!
 
strawberries!

what a trade off....

I feed a quart of blood to the mesquitos and get a quart of berries
 
yes...

strawberries about kaput...but blue berries are almost ready...

wait for it...wait for it...wait for it.... :D
 
Back
Top