Experiences with Cymbalta?

C

Christopher2012

Guest
Does anyone have any experience with Cymbalta? I was put on 30mg once daily. The first several days were great but now I'm feeling SUPER depressed and I'm becoming agitated easier. Xanax was increased to 1mg daily as needed, and I'm needing it more and more. Also, vodka has become my best friend. We hang out at least twice a week.

I am going to get counseling. I found out that my new insurance pays for it. I just have to wait for it to kick in (still under parents insurance until then).

(Skip this part if you want)
I'm thinking that the increased levels of norepinephrine might be BAD for high anxiety and that might be why I'm getting agitated and overly anxious.

But anyway, I just want to know if anybody has had any good experiences with Cymbalta.
 
I don't know anything about these kinds of drugs, but good on you for seeking some counseling.

I would recommend against the vodka part.
 
No, but I know people who have had a similar experience with it.

Have you told your doctor you're becoming increasingly depressed, anxious and you're self-medicating with alcohol? If not, you know damn well you need to. Hell, even the commercials tell you to talk to your doctor if you feel more depressed or have thoughts of suicide! I'm guessing alcohol is also contraindicated.

My advice is to give yourself advice as a medical professional, and then take it. That means you need to call your doctor ASAP; the depression can go from bad to worse as the drug builds up in your system, no? Couple that with the xanax and alcohol (also a bad mix, right Mr. Pharmacist?), and you could very well end up somewhere you don't want to be in a short time if you continue on this path. Like the psych ward. Or the morgue. :(
 
No, but I know people who have had a similar experience with it.

Have you told your doctor you're becoming increasingly depressed, anxious and you're self-medicating with alcohol? If not, you know damn well you need to. Hell, even the commercials tell you to talk to your doctor if you feel more depressed or have thoughts of suicide! I'm guessing alcohol is also contraindicated.

My advice is to give yourself advice as a medical professional, and then take it. That means you need to call your doctor ASAP; the depression can go from bad to worse as the drug builds up in your system, no? Couple that with the xanax and alcohol (also a bad mix, right Mr. Pharmacist?), and you could very well end up somewhere you don't want to be in a short time if you continue on this path. Like the psych ward. Or the morgue. :(

Relax. I have to follow up with the MD in 3 weeks. They know I drink. I'm not too worried about mixing alcohol and Xanax. Truly, 1mg once daily is not that much especially since I'm a big guy. And I don't usually drink heavily the nights before work just because I can't go to work with a headache or I'll be miserable all day.

As far as worsening depression and suicidal thoughts, I'm again not too worried about it. I really want to give this Cymbalta a good shot.

Overall, I just wanted to hear experiences from other people who have taken the drug.
 
I would agree with the others, I think you should lay off the booze. No, I am not worried about a combined effect like drinking and downers would have. On the other hand, drinking a depressant like alcohol when your body is trying to adjust to the stuff you are taking is making the process even harder. Any kind of anti depressant takes a while to work, and alcohol among other things messes with your metabolism and it could take even longer for your body to adjust if you drink,plus if the stuff is making you depressed taking a nervous system depressant like alcohol isn't too smart either, it will just make you more depressed.
 
Quote-
(Skip this part if you want)
I'm thinking that the increased levels of norepinephrine might be BAD for high anxiety and that might be why I'm getting agitated and overly anxious.

But anyway, I just want to know if anybody has had any good experiences with Cymbalta.-Quote


Cymbalta is an SNRI. And yes, SNRI's can aggravate any anxiety issues you may have.

SSRI's are typically better when anxiety is present but tend to have more side effects than SNRI's. (Weight gain, sexual issues, etc) But of course, everyone is different, so your mileage may vary.

I agree with whomever said alcohol is a depressant. Best to steer clear of it, if you can.

Last but not least, no idea how long you have been on Cymbalta, but some AD's can take 6 to 12 weeks to reach their maximum levels. And it is not uncommom to feel worse before you feel better. But if it has been over 12 weeks and you still feel like crap, might be time to try something else instead.

Good luck. :cattail:
 
Booze and mind altering drugs are not a good match, whether they're illegal or prescribed. Cymbalta didn't do anything for me. Antidepressants and their ilk are trial and error on an individual basis.
 
Booze and mind altering drugs are not a good match, whether they're illegal or prescribed. Cymbalta didn't do anything for me. Antidepressants and their ilk are trial and error on an individual basis.

Very much so, yes. I was on anti depressants for a while when I was in therapy, and I tried a lot of different ones, most seratonin uptake inhibitors, prozac, celexa, you name it, I was on pediatric doses and ended up with headaches, and was a complete space cadet, the affects of the anti depressants was worse then what they were treating. My spouse tried welbutrin, and it drove her into a panic/anxiety attack mode, it was horrible. I am not saying don't take anti depressants, far from it, I am agreeing with the poster, it is a matter of finding out what works for you.
 
I was on cymbalta for about six months and I pulled myself off. My depression was getting worse. I was losing my family and I really could not help it. It worked good for about the first two weeks then it went all down hill from there. Not to even mention I had no sexual desire at all. Could not even get a erection. My wife tried everything to get me turned on and nothing worked. She even tried one if my all time fantasies and no such luck. I have so much I could share about Cymbalta but I'm sure you don't want to hear it. So to say the least its no good. Anyone that would like to chat in private pm please
 
Back
Top