Tell me why the weather has become so destructive!

Mass die-off of sea creatures follows freezing UK weather


Starfish and crabs among animals piled ankle-deep along parts of the North Sea coast

March 5, 2018

There was a 3C drop in sea temperature last week which will have caused animals to hunker down and reduce their activity levels,” said Bex Lynam, from the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust. “This makes them vulnerable to rough seas – they became dislodged by large waves and washed ashore when the rough weather kicked in.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-of-sea-creatures-follows-freezing-uk-weather
 
Mass communication.

Instant video of global weather, always a disaster somewhere
We all think that the world is in doomsday
 
"Each storm that moves through here, is more violent."

(Others comment on how frequently a violent storm occurs.)


It did not take long, for the storms to become deadly.

Moar!

We have Wall Street and international conglomerate corporations to thank, for the increased misery, deaths, and failure.

*glimpse of the future results, in Spielberg's A.I. film. Nature was pushed out of balance.*
 
Instant video of global weather, always a disaster somewhere
We all think that the world is in doomsday
Do you know the difference between weather and climate?
Will you move to a beachfront trailer in Florida?
How long can you tread water?
 
Wow, you mean this planet has never had any weather before and only now we have storms, heat, cold, wind, and snowflakes other than Hillary's little pot headed ones? The world has always had extreme weather here and there in its history. It's true that countries like Russia and China (who just chopped down two million trees and laid waste a large stretch of land and both countries are the greatest polluters), but even with enemies of the earth like them, we have had weather since the planet was formed. Look at the records of any city and you will see that highs and lows go back and forth in the cities records. We have had little ice ages, and every continent has gone thru varying weather cycles. The mountains grow and they erode, rivers are formed, flood and disappear. One year we have lots of rain, another no rain, heavy winds, no winds, heat and then cold. Sometimes it can be traced to countries like many of the so called third world countries that destroy their environment or even big countries like India, China and Russia that have no care for their actions.

In the U. S. we have cleaned up our air. Just compare it to the early 1950's and 60's. Compare the air during dirty coal's hay day and now. If you want to smell a bad city go back in time when everything was horse drawn. When cities used their streets for sewers.

Like the man said we all talk about the weather, but don't do anything about it. We can do somethings. Some stupid like the politicians have us doing in California and some correct and common sense like in other parts of the world.

But weather is not new. It is as old and changing as the world. It gives us something to talk about.
 
The wearing of the green in Boston once was accompanied by new green grass and clover. Cold snow days were traded for cool rainy days.

Suddenly, the celebration had a grey day with bone chilling rain and wind. Coffee with something extra was welcomed. Warm food was relished for the heat. Cold hands, on the mugs.

Today, snow interfered with St. Patrick's Day. Temps hovering around the freezing point. A cold wind blew.

In 2009, Southie caught a break, and marchers were not forced to endure the cold that day.

April invited the first cold dips in the ocean. I never imagined mini ice bergs in April. The harbors freezing over, was a rare thing, not long, ago.

In 2007 the snow and ice almost canceled the Boston Marathon. Who can forget the oldtimers struggling up a messy Heartbreak Hill ?


Midweek, the wider world got the first hint of a problem: Channel 4 meteorologist Barry Burbank predicted a storm "of epic proportions" on Marathon Monday, with not only rain but also ice and sleet and bitter cold. Burbank was perhaps the first to wonder out loud whether the race would be run - but not the last. Calls started pouring in to the BAA offices on Clarendon Street. Would the Marathon be canceled?


The Boston Marathon had never been canceled or postponed, even by snow squalls in 1925, 1961, and 1967, sleet in 1907, or 100-degree heat in 1905. In 1939, a northeaster combined with a partial solar eclipse to pitch the starting line into darkness. In 1927, it was so hot that a newly surfaced section of the course began to melt, and in 1976, temperatures reached 96, and spectators sprayed water on the overheating runners, leading that year's race to become forever known as the Run for the Hoses. In 1970, conditions were much as they were being predicted again, with heavy rain and cold temperatures.

But this time, things were different. The public expressions of confidence belied grave doubts raised in closed-door daily planning meetings, some held in the Cold War-era Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency bunker in Framingham. At 10 a.m. on Thursday, more than 150 state, local, and BAA officials packed the bunker. The Marathon-day forecast was now for temperatures in the 30s with winds of 30 miles an hour from the east-northeast - meaning, against the runners - and a windchill in the 20s.


The decision was made with just minutes to spare: The Marathon would go on.


For a while, it seemed Lynch's father was right. Rain was falling in sheets. The lines of yellow school buses were backing up. A live power line was down across the course in Ashland. Volunteers didn't show up. Port-a-potties were blowing over.

But the temperatures were warmer than feared. The rain and wind subsided.

http://archive.boston.com/bostonglo...2008/04/13/the_marathon_they_almost_canceled/
 
But weather is not new. It is as old and changing as the world. It gives us something to talk about.
Weather is short-term. Climate is longer-term. Think of the boiling frog trope.

Another possibility: With the rise of civilization and industrialization, humans no longer attend to and propitiate the weather gods as they have in the past. We know that impiety causes major disasters, right? Better sacrifice some more virgins to Quetzalcoatl or whomever.
 
How beautifully blue the sky
The glass is rising very high
Continue fine I hope it may
And yet it rained but yesterday
Tomorrow it may pour again
I hear the country wants some rain
Yet people say
I know not why
That we shall have a warm July
 
Meanwhile, here at 4000 ft / 1200 m in the central Sierra Nevada range, down a bit from Lake Tahoe, we had one day of winter in January, another in February, and now a real winter in March, after a couple of false springs. Didn't used to be like this.
 
The weather gods are angry. Time to throw more virgins into volcanoes. Virgins? Lots of gamers are available. And a few GBers. Mom's basement might not be the safest hideout.
 
April 7, 2018

On Saturday morning, temperatures dropped into the teens as far south as Kansas, with single digits in the Upper Midwest, the Dakotas and Nebraska.

Numerous daily record lows were broken on Saturday including, North Platte, Nebraska (4 degrees), Wausau, Wisconsin (7 degrees), Lincoln, Nebraska (10 degrees), Green Bay, Wisconsin (11 degrees), Dubuque, Iowa (11 degrees - tie), Waterloo, Iowa (12 degrees - tie), Sioux City, Iowa (13 degrees), Omaha, Nebraska (14 degrees), Salina, Kansas (15 degrees), Topeka, Kansas (18 degrees), Wichita, Kansas (18 degrees) and Amarillo, Texas (20 degrees - tie).

Record low temperatures recorded

https://www.wunderground.com/news/2018-04-01-waves-of-cold-air-midwest-east

Arctic vortex dives deep into America in April

http://www.startribune.com/chilly-weekend-ahead-with-accumulating-snow-sunday/478888073/

Cold Texans


http://www.amarillo.com/section/?template=weather



https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...ekend-with-dip-in-12811904.php#photo-12153188
 
More than 7 million acres have burned in wildfires this year – an area roughly the size of Massachusetts – according to the National Interagency Fire Center. That's nearly double the 10-year average of about 4.48 million acres through Aug. 20

http://www.wunderground.com/news/western-wildfires-latest-news

The U.S Forest Service has spent over $800 million this year fighting fires. Just last week alone nearly $150 million went into fighting dozens of fires all across the west. Yet with several weeks more to go until this fiscal year ends on September 30, it's looking more and more likely that the Forest Service will have to pull funds from other programs.

The Forest Service said fires are also consuming more acreage and are hotter than they've been in years past. "It's due to a number of factors including hazardous fuel build up, insect and disease infestations, non-native species invasions. Homes are located and adjacent to forested range lands, as well as the impact of drought and climate change," said Jennifer Jones, the public affairs specialist for the Forest Service's firefighting operations.

http://www.localnews8.com/news/forest-service-burning-through-budget-fighting-fires/34809134


We did not take climate change seriously, and act immediately.
We are paying the price, right now, in money and in lives.

7.3 billion people on the Planet Earth, right now.
6.5 billion on the plant in 2007.
6.2 billion on the planet in 2002.

By that rationale you're advocating war as a culling method?

or should we simply start rounding up and killing trump and his supporters?

The entire west has a birthrate below two, so every developed nation that is considered high consumption, high technology and high education is below societal replacement levels, every undeveloped country has birth rates of 4-6 plus, so by logical conclusive jumps do we now go destroy the third world?

The portent of this doomsday stuff always seems genocidal to me, especially when you look at logical solutions. Anyy species that gets too big for its environment we decide to culll to control populations, i.e mice, foxes, kangaroos etc

Is that the logical conclusive jump or am I over reacting?
 
By that rationale you're advocating war as a culling method?
More McFood laden with pesticides and plastic particulates should do the trick. Have another McFish burger, with PVC bits.

Killing lots of people only solves population problems if it's a clean sweep. Rome got rid of the Carthaginian problem that way. But otherwise, postwar populations tend to boom. Cf 'boomers'. So just bombing starving refugees is futile; there's more where they came from, and they'll keep breeding.

And some of their offspring will be smarter than you. Be very worried.

Enough of that. The fossil-fueled Industrial Revolution measurably affected Earth's climate. We continue burning fossil fuels, keeping the hydrosphere hot. Weather patterns change with more intense weather, stormier storms, hotter heat waves, colder polar vortices, shifting oceanic and atmospheric currents. When the Gulf Stream shuts down, Western civilization is fucked.

How long can you and your kids tread water?
 
More McFood laden with pesticides and plastic particulates should do the trick. Have another McFish burger, with PVC bits.

Killing lots of people only solves population problems if it's a clean sweep. Rome got rid of the Carthaginian problem that way. But otherwise, postwar populations tend to boom. Cf 'boomers'. So just bombing starving refugees is futile; there's more where they came from, and they'll keep breeding.

And some of their offspring will be smarter than you. Be very worried.

Enough of that. The fossil-fueled Industrial Revolution measurably affected Earth's climate. We continue burning fossil fuels, keeping the hydrosphere hot. Weather patterns change with more intense weather, stormier storms, hotter heat waves, colder polar vortices, shifting oceanic and atmospheric currents. When the Gulf Stream shuts down, Western civilization is fucked.

How long can you and your kids tread water?

Bout the same amount of time as you can I guess...

And while I can see and feel the difference in clinate in my time all i can do is my part
 
I have noticed, that the students of today have lost something.

Spring.

Spring has been reduced to one day, for some.
I was lucky enough, to grow up when Spring
was a gradual process that gave a month
of pleasant days.

The Spring puddles were not frozen.
Easter did not have snow storms.
Frost did not threaten May flowers.

April 25, 2018 We had frost.
We had snow showers, last week.
It was freezing nearly every night.
Next week, above 80f

Summer is not due, until June.

It feels as if my student days were a hundred years, ago.

Then, again, very young students have the conception that old people were born when the original fossils of dinosaurs were living creatures.

Our modern young people had the Jurassic film series to reveal the world of dinosaurs. (I still have primal nightmares about Ants the Size of Mountains, because of a sci-fi movie.)


Very young students had a short explanation about dinosaurs, and genetic cross-breeding/cloning.

Jurassic Park (1993) Jeff Goldblum entered his 40s! He was 60something, as the Grandmaster in Thor: Ragnarok i

He is having fun.

‘Avengers: Infinity War’: 14 Highlights from the Press Conference Moderated by Jeff Goldblum

April 23, 2018

Disney changed things up by having moderator Jeff Goldblum randomly direct questions to specific panelists or about specific topics


http://collider.com/infinity-war-press-conference-video/

youtube

Jurassic Park - MrDNA (Eng) | HD


The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
Jurassic Park III (2001)
Jurassic World (2015)
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)

We had claymation, lizards, and comic books.

(America was forming around me. Just as America had formed around the centenarian that I knew , as a young teen. She was just a grown up, in the body of a dinosaur. )

:heart:
 
Today, the news found it necessary to inform me, of the difference between Tornado Watch and Tornado Warning.


I am almost certain that people that live in the Food Basket and the Rust Belt have funny jokes for definitions for tornadoes.
 
Today, the news found it necessary to inform me, of the difference between Tornado Watch and Tornado Warning.


I am almost certain that people that live in the Food Basket and the Rust Belt have funny jokes for definitions for tornadoes.

Same in my area. They even said hail the size of tennis balls was possible (fortunately, that did not happen). Over the weekend they said lemon size hail was possible.

For the last week we have been under severe storm watches/warnings and tornado watches/warnings as well as hail warnings. This is supposed to last through this weekend as well.

Absolutely miserable weather.
 
In France, The Grapes were defenceless, so were the children

Violent hailstorms


The sudden and powerful storms that struck the Bordeaux and Charentais winemaking regions on Saturday took residents by surprise with some describing them as the worst in 30 years.The Haut-Médoc region of north Bordeaux and the Cognac-producing vineyards were also affected, as was the Charente Maritime department


The deluge saw hailstones the size of cherries in some areas, bringing down trees and causing widespread flash flooding. Further north in Mayenne, east of the city of Rennes, a six-year-old girl walking in a park with her mother died after she was hit by a falling tree branch. In Bordeaux, city streets were flooded. The French weather service Météo-France said 22mm of rain fell in six minutes in the city. A demonstration against Emmanuel Macron’s labour law changes was also cancelled because of the weather.


https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...troyed-as-violent-storms-sweep-western-france

Violent Lightning and Ponds in the Streets

Western Power Distribution said the storm had left nearly 1,000 properties without power across the Midlands - with the bulk of outages due to lightning

A cluster of 17 flood alerts has been issued for parts of the Thames Valley and West Midlands and Bedfordshire fire services have warned motorists of the risks of driving on flood-hit roads.


Met Office meteorologist Charlie Powell said information indicated there were "somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 strikes across the UK during the overnight period.


James Brewin caught the moment Big Ben and Westminster were illuminated by a flash of lightning – dubbing it "London in daylight at midnight for a split second".

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ods-mother-of-all-thunderstorms-a8371356.html

In New England, meteorologists commented on July in May. 90f before the temperatures dropped to 51f

Bank Holiday in UK, Memorial Holiday in America


Hurricaine Season


May 27, 2018

Evacuations have been ordered and several beaches were shut down on the Gulf Coast Sunday as Subtropical Storm Alberto neared.


Swimming and wading were banned on Florida's Pensacola Beach, where lifeguards stuck red flags throughout the sand. National Park Service authorities announced the closure of Florida's Gulf Islands National Seashore in Gulf Breeze, roughly 6 miles from Pensacola, Saturday.

Shelters were opened in Bay County, Florida, where Panama City is the county seat, ahead of the storm, WJHG.com reports. Authorities urged residents living in mobile homes and low-lying areas to relocate.

https://www.wunderground.com/news/2018-05-25-subtropical-storm-alberto-impacts-preparations

2018

The Midwest and Great Lakes just endured a historically cold April


https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-april/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b7024fed06bb


Heatwave

Saturday, numerous daily record highs were broken or tied as temperatures soared into the 90s and 100s, including in Del Rio, Texas (106 degrees), Midland, Texas (105 degrees), Abilene, Texas (102 derees), Omaha, Nebraska (100 degrees), Austin at Camp Mabry (99 degrees), Sioux City, Iowa (97 degrees), Topeka, Kansas (97 degrees), Des Moines, Iowa (96 degrees), Fargo, North Dakota (93 degrees - tied), Bismarck, North Dakota (93 degrees), Kansas City, Missouri (93 degrees), Green Bay, Wisconsin (92 degrees), Duluth, Minnesota (92 degrees), Grand Forks, North Dakota (91 degrees) and Colorado Springs, Colorado (91 degrees).


https://www.wunderground.com/news/2018-05-23-plains-midwest-heat-wave-memorial-day

7-day forecast: Hot, hot, hot this Memorial Day weekend

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/weather/ct-wea-summary-0527-20180526-story.html

As if the Earth itself, were suffering from illness, sudden chills, violent fevers.
 
Defenseless chili peppers

May 22, 2018


Sudden hailstorm causes 12 car pile-up

The hailstorm hit after a second day in a row of intermittent rain showers in the Santa Fe area amid ongoing drought conditions.


https://www.abqjournal.com/1175493/about-12-vehicles-pile-up-east-of-santa-fe-in-hail-storm.html

The reports of rivers drying up in Central New Mexico send shivers through those who see those same stream flows weakening in the north.

The drought, if it continues, “could be devastating,” Martinez said. “This is the lowest we have seen our snowpack for irrigation.”

In Velarde, Danny Farrar has about 10 acres with a small orchard that produces cherries, peaches and apples, and some vegetables. The water he needs to sustain his crops arrives via an acequia from the Rio Grande.

“The river should be in runoff, but it’s really, really low,” Farrar said. “Old-timers say they have never seen the Rio Grande completely dry up, but it might.”


http://www.santafenewmexican.com/ne...cle_1c15e4f0-01f4-580c-bf1d-ae8c1c880fad.html
 
May 27, 2018

ELLICOTT CITY, MD.

Roaring flash floods struck a Maryland city Sunday that had been wracked by similar devastation two years ago, its main street turned into a raging river that reached the first floor of some buildings and swept away parked cars, authorities and witnesses say.

They say this is a once every 1,000-year flood and we've had two of them in two years," Hogan said.

Just two weeks ago, Hogan announced that the Federal Emergency Management Agency had awarded the state and county more than $1 million to pay for projects aimed at reducing the flood risk.

http://www.thestate.com/news/nation-world/national/article212049824.html
 
1990's scientists said that if we liked our weather, we could keep most of it if we did everything, NOW.


2000 Scientists said that it had just begun to get really bad.


2008

Wall.St decides that it is the perfect time to fuck up the whole world's economy.


They cannot drain more money from the people in the usual corrupt ways. Banks resort to attacking their customers, directly. Washington DC shrugs and whines.

The accumulated wealth we needed to address the problem, was there. We used it to bail out the banking system. The banking system thanked the tax payers by kicking them in the teeth.


President Obama trying to address global climate change, is like ant trying to move an asteroid. The Republicans block nearly all efforts to ameliorate the severe consequences. He has minor success. Everything should have been set in place yesterday. The oil barons and the Saudi princes do not want to lose their grip.

2018

Children grow up, not understanding that weather was not meant to frighten you to death, or kill you-every week of the year. Once in a lifetime converts to once or twice, in a month.

Science, experts, and careful studies were sent to the town dump. Washington DC looks at the coming weather Armageddon and shrugs. The deniers are extremely old, and will be dead by the time millions die from weather extremes.

2018 Thousands died, and Washington DC shrugged. They are too busy ransacking the nation of anything of value.

"The living will envy the dead."
 
Pueblo, Colorado, 106 degrees

June 27, 2018

Home of Heroes likely felt more like Sin City on Wednesday as Pueblo saw its hottest June 27 on record after reaching 106 degrees -- just 1 degree shy of the 107-degree heat recorded Wednesday in the desert city of Las Vegas

According to Steve Hodanish, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service, the sweltering heat topped the city's previous record of 105 degrees, set in 2012, and fell just 3 degrees short of the city's hottest day on record -- 109 degrees in 2003.


The temperature also was just shy of the hottest June day on record, falling 2 degrees short of the 108-degree mark set on June 28, 1990.

https://www.chieftain.com/news/pueb...cle_1d418b8f-495e-5b23-af36-f64ea4328c4b.html

Oh, New England! (And much of the East Coast)

July 1, 2018

"Daytime feels-like temperatures may exceed 105 degrees, and overnight lows may not dip below 75 degrees, which will lead to heat stress and illness."

https://www.wunderground.com/news/2...e-heat-midwest-northeast-south-end-june-early


July 1, 2018

Of all of those days, dew points of 60 or more and readings near 100 on the heat indices will make things just a touch more miserable.

A weather system moving in early Friday looks as if it will break the heat, Sipprell says, but even then high temperatures will flirt with 90.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...t-and-humid/v3EdjmZXP6bu5R2m1l2FBL/story.html
 
Back
Top