have you seen the movie Beowulf?

Ehh that movie

I seen it, It was alright. I own it too,someone bought it.I thought it was done well but wasn't that impressed. Though I love A.J. It wasn't horrible though
 
No, but I read the book. One of my fantasies is to have a northern European guy read it out loud to me.
 
The short story, Grendel, is an excellent read. By John Gardner. It's a great point of view change from the Beowulf story/poem.

Outlander, which has been playing on Scify channel lately, is also a take on the story.

But Grendel is my favorite, and then the original.
 
Wasn't crazy for the movie. The CGI DD breasts were interesting. So glad Zemeckis has abandoned the motion capture thing.

The score by Alan Silvestri was maybe the best thing about it.
 
Wasn't crazy for the movie. The CGI DD breasts were interesting. So glad Zemeckis has abandoned the motion capture thing.

The score by Alan Silvestri was maybe the best thing about it.

I actually worked for Zemekis on the motion capture thing. I spent 4 years in LA working on that stuff.

He didn't so much abandon it, as Disney took their toys away. He actually had a 10 picture deal with Disney for Images Movers Digital, and it was a regime change that cancelled that. Rich Ross came in, who was making Made for TV Movies for $25 and some pocket change with Hilary Duff and Miley Cyrus, and had a heart attack at the cost of Motion Capture movies.

Well, that and the fact that Mars Needs Moms was a colossal failure. It's not actually that bad as a movie, but Disney 100% abandoned it once they had already made the decision to abandon the relationship with Zemekis. To a certain extent, it was a self fulfilling prophecy. Mars Needs Moms cost $190m to make and it was clear it wouldn't cover it's costs, but then it was never supposed to. The original deal was to make 3 or 4 movies to build the tech to the point where he could dash off movies in 6 months, for $70m.

Rich Ross came into Disney, took over all movies, hated the deal that had been made with Zemekis, since it was so long term, with money being hemorrhaged over the short term, and killed it.

Zemekis loved Motion Capture for lots of reasons. We could shoot an entire movie in 4 weeks - no waiting for the lighting guy, or daylight, or for it to stop raining, or finding locations, or being on location. And all the actors could be home every night, since it was all shot in LA.

But he also didn't understand some of how the back end worked. He would mix and match performances from different shots, and in order to blend them together, the animators would have to do a lot of patching of the motion capture, and as such, some of the animations suffered from that. Cameron didn't do that on Avatar, he kept shooting again and again until he got one shot that had everything in it the way he wanted it, and as such, the animations needed no touching up, and therefore looked a lot more natural.

But that's also why Avatar cost $500m and A Christmas Carol cost $170m. <shrug>

And some of the actors we had hated motion capture. Bob Hoskins, for example, hated it with a passion, and put in a very sub standard performance because of it.
 
Back
Top