What to read

This poem by John Donne:


A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning
John Donne, 1572 - 1631

As virtuous men pass mildly away,
And whisper to their souls to go,
Whilst some of their sad friends do say,
“The breath goes now," and some say, “No,"

So let us melt, and make no noise,
No tear-floods, nor sigh-tempests move;
‘Twere profanation of our joys
To tell the laity our love.

Moving of the earth brings harms and fears,
Men reckon what it did and meant;
But trepidation of the spheres,
Though greater far, is innocent.

Dull sublunary lovers’ love
(Whose soul is sense) cannot admit
Absence, because it doth remove
Those things which elemented it.

But we, by a love so much refined
That our selves know not what it is,
Inter-assured of the mind,
Care less, eyes, lips, and hands to miss.

Our two souls therefore, which are one,
Though I must go, endure not yet
A breach, but an expansion.
Like gold to airy thinness beat.

If they be two, they are two so
As stiff twin compasses are two:
Thy soul, the fixed foot, makes no show
To move, but doth, if the other do;

And though it in the center sit,
Yet when the other far doth roam,
It leans, and hearkens after it,
And grows erect, as that comes home.

Such wilt thou be to me, who must,
Like the other foot, obliquely run;
Thy firmness makes my circle just,
And makes me end where I begun.
Thank you for posting that - it's a poem I once loved but had fallen out of my memory until seeing it today.
 
What are the circumstances of the parting? Was the act of leaving "a far, far better thing..."? Was it hollow, dead, "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing..."?

Poetry seems appropriate. " My Love is like a Red, Red Rose" by Robbie Burns?

A love poem to two women? Not even Shakespeare was up to that!

I'd agree with the Robert Burns. Either the recommendation above or "Ae Fond Kiss," written to a married woman as she left for Jamaica to join her estranged husband. Several people have recorded the song. Can your hero sing?
 
ObTopic: Shakespearean sonnets nicely fill the time. But watch you accent.

I forgot to mention that the event happens just before Christmas. Somehow that didn't seem important when I first asked the question. Anyway, with that consideration I decided he would read "The Gift of the Magi."
 
I forgot to mention that the event happens just before Christmas. Somehow that didn't seem important when I first asked the question. Anyway, with that consideration I decided he would read "The Gift of the Magi."

Under the circumstances, just about perfect, provided none of your characters are math teachers... :D
 
I'm sure there's probably an English translation of it, and it's the Colombian national "romantic" novel, sold everywhere there: María, by Jorge Isaacs.

If you wanted to light background music, I'd suggest Mr. Big's "Just Take my Heart."
 
If you're looking for something that deals with love and parting, you could do much worse than The Little Prince. In particular, Chapter 21:

"To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world . . ."

...

"My life is very monotonous," the fox said. "I hunt chickens; men hunt me. All the chickens are just alike, and all the men are just alike. And, in consequence, I am a little bored. But if you tame me, it will be as if the sun came to shine on my life. I shall know the sound of a step that will be different from all the others. Other steps send me hurrying back underneath the ground. Yours will call me, like music, out of my burrow. And then look: you see the grain-fields down yonder? I do not eat bread. Wheat is of no use to me. The wheat fields have nothing to say to me. And that is sad. But you have hair that is the color of gold. Think how wonderful that will be when you have tamed me! The grain, which is also golden, will bring me back the thought of you. And I shall love to listen to the wind in the wheat . . ."

The fox gazed at the little prince, for a long time.

...

So the little prince tamed the fox. And when the hour of his departure drew near--

"Ah," said the fox, "I shall cry."

"It is your own fault," said the little prince. "I never wished you any sort of harm; but you wanted me to tame you . . ."

"Yes, that is so," said the fox.

"But now you are going to cry!" said the little prince.

"Yes, that is so," said the fox.

"Then it has done you no good at all!"

"It has done me good," said the fox, "because of the color of the wheat fields."
 
I forgot to mention that the event happens just before Christmas. Somehow that didn't seem important when I first asked the question. Anyway, with that consideration I decided he would read "The Gift of the Magi."

Great choice. May I offer a lesser known alternative? "The Shepherd" by Frederick Forsythe, written as a Christmas gift for his wife. A lost traveler is guided home on Christmas Eve, 1957. Oh, he's in a fighter jets over the English Channel, low on fuel with no radio or compass. It was made to be read aloud. And, it has been read aloud on CBC radio every Christmas Eve for over 30 years.

The ending still chokes me up and sends a chill down my spine.
 
The final "love scene" in my current story will not involve any sex. Instead, the male protagonist and the two female protagonists will curl up together while he reads to them.

If you were in their position -- about to say goodbye, possibly to never see each other again -- what would you read?

My leading candidate right now is The Wind in the Willows. I know it's a 'childrens' story, but so what?

Pilgrim's Progress, perhaps ?
 
Back
Top