The Tavern Down at Old Caernarvon (closed for heartofcourage)

Marri held the pretty little bouquet of flowers in front of her and she only had eyes for Durban. As the priest recited the vows, she looked into his eyes and smiled, a blush coating her cheeks. She was in love and she hoped that she wasn’t making a rash decision. It somehow all felt right though. This man was destined to be hers.

“You may now kiss your bride.” Came the priests final words and she smiled, tilting her head towards Durban so that he could do just that.
 
Durban chuckled softly and kissed his new wife with all he had, and those watching applauded happily with big smiles. Durban took her hands as their lips parted. "C'mon, darlin', we'll spend a li'l time t'gether b'fore we go back." He looked up then to the priest, "Thank ya father." Then to the others, "An' you ladies an' gentlemen too." He led Marri out and to the river once more so they might be alone. As they went, he sighed happily, "Gods, yesterday I'd 'ave called m'self crazy fer doin' somethin' like this."
 
She spared happy kisses for her husband, her lips clinging to his as she sighed happily. “I married you without knowing your full name, Durban. I believe I am the crazy one.” She said, holding onto his arm as they arrived at the river and took a seat on the banks.

“You will stay here with me until you must go back to Scotland?” She asked him, holding his hand tightly as their fingers laced together.
 
"O'course I'll stay," he smiled lovingly. "An' it's Ghis... Durban Courser Ghis." She knew that name... the name of the ruling family of Inverness! But if he was a nomad... he was the eldest son who'd been exiled for challenged his cruel father. Now his younger brother was king.
 
Last edited:
Durban…Ghis? Her eyes widened slightly as she realized who he was. She didn’t care that his family ruled Inverness. She loved him for who he was. “Then I suppose I’m Marri Elise Ghis now.” She said softly, her arms wrapped around his neck to hold him tightly.

“I’m happy, Ban, but also scared. I’ve never done anything like this to go against my family’s wishes before.” She said softly, confessing her fears to him. “I know they’ll come around, but I’m so afraid that they never will.”
 
"Time'll only tell..." he wrapped her up in his huge arms. His own worry was whether or not they'd made a mistake... what if one realized they didn't love each other as much as they thought? They were still practically strangers, and now they'd stuck themselves together. He shook that worry away and kissed her, telling himself that it'd be okay.
 
“Tonight after I close the tavern, you’ll come for me?” She asked him with a grin as their kiss ended and she found herself looking into his dark eyes with all the joy that she had in the world.

“Ban, I love you so.” She said softly, her fingers brushing away a small lock of his hair that blew in the soft breeze. “You are handsome and kind. Absolutely perfect.”
 
"I'll come for ya, m'sweet bonny lass," he promised before seeking another kiss. "Perfect...? Hah... can' 'old a candle t'you..." He trailed one more kiss to her throat, which was oddly sensitive.
 
Marri let out a loud, hot moan as he pressed a kiss to her throat, the sensation rocking her to the very core of her being. She looped her arms about his own throat, pulling him close to her body so that he could kiss her throat as much as he liked. She shivered from the contact, her body reacting strangely to having Durban near.
 
Now that certainly aroused Durban, but he tried to hold it back, as he wasn't sure if she was ready for such a huge step. He obliged her, though, kissing and nibbling her throat adoringly. He didn't realize til they were laying in the grass that he'd laid her on her back. All he could think was how he needed to control himself, and then about her.
 
Marri didn’t even realize that she was on her back, Durban draped over the top of her until he pulled his lips back from her throat. She sighed softly, looking up at her with a bit of a concerned expression. Were they ready for that step? And in broad daylight?

“Ban…” She said softly, touching his cheek before she brought him down for a kiss. Her lips pressed against hers and welcomed him into her body for the first intimate step. Their tongues touched and she moaned softly for him.

“We have to stop.” She said breathlessly, turning her head to the side as their kiss broke. “I have to get back to the tavern.”
 
Durban couldn't help kissing along her ear after their lips parted, and he muttered, "I know... but Gods, I don' wan' t'leave..." His lips found the angle of her jawline, giving plenty of attention to her skin that she could see he was quickly becoming quite fond of.
 
“Ban…” Marri said, her voice laced with a warning and yet so much lust as he found her jaw and gave her attention like she had never known. “Please. I have to get back. Grandpa will tan my hide if I am late.”

She turned her eyes towards his dark gaze and she gave him a small smile. “Besides, we always have tonight.” She said softly, her gaze full of promise.
 
"Yer righ'," he sighed, out of breath. But he smiled down at her lovingly, "I'll get back t'work, then." He rose up to a kneel, and helped her to her feet. "I promise I'll make y'happy, Marri... I swear I will, happier'n ye've e'er been." He rose to face her, "I don' 'ave much money, an' I live on th'move in th'Highlands most times... but I'll do everythin' I can."
 
“I do not need anything as long as I am with you, Ban.” She said softly, kissing him gently before she took his hand and allowed him to walk her back to the tavern. Just outside, she pulled her hand from his but stole one last kiss before she slipped inside to face her Grandpa.

“Evening, Grandpa.” She said softly, kissing the old man’s cheek as she slipped behind the bar to help him. “Did you eat your dinner?”
 
"I did... Where have you been?" Lysander looked up, his expression stern and worried. "And where's Durban? I haven't seen him since you disappeared... what've you two been up to?" He was incredibly suspicious of them.
 
“Grandpa.” She scolded him as he asked where she’d been and where Durban was. “I went for a walk to clear my head and he went for more building supplies. He’ll be back shortly.” She said, her hands on her hips as she prayed that he believed her little lie.

“And I don’t believe that you ate a bite, so you’re going to sit right there at that bar and eat a bowl in front of me.” She said, giving him a look as she tried to act normally.

She went and got another bowl of cabbage stew, putting it down in front of her grandfather and watching him closely as he ate. When Durban came back in, she felt a fluttering in her belly, but she schooled her features.

“Good evening, Durban. Would you like something to eat?”
 
"Nah, I'm alrigh', darlin'," Durban smiled to her, but Lysander's fears were not assuaged. He rose to face the Scotsman, crossing his arms.

"And where've you been?" He asked suspiciously, looking for a similar answer that Marri had given. Luckily for her, Durban thought similarly.

"Gettin' nails, sir," he answered respectfully. Lysander sighed.

"Alright... keep out of trouble you two."
 
“Of course, Grandpa.” She said softly, kissing his cheek as the first customers of the night came in. She tended to them as always, a few glances spared Durban’s way before she finally brought him a glass of ale.

“On the house tonight, sir.” She said softly, wanting so badly to kiss him, but knowing that her grandfather was watching intensely.
 
Durban gave her a secret wink. "Thank ya, lass." Inside, he was incredibly excited for their first night alone together, wanting to prove to her how he truly wanted their marriage to be happy despite its rush.

Her parents were helping in the tavern that day too but they knew nothing of Durban asking Lysander for the chance to court Marri. They remained blissfully unaware, thinking their daughter was still unmarried and unattached.
 
“So, tell me about yourself, Durban.” Elise said as she slipped into the empty chair across from him, a smile on her far as she wanted to know more about this mysterious man that had happened into their lives. “Do you have any siblings? Who are your parents? Where do you call home?”

“Mummy, don’t you think Durban would like to drink his ale in peace?” Marri said, interrupting her mother’s prying questions. “He worked very hard today.”

“Oh, Marri, you’re always ruining my fun.” Elise said, looking up at her daughter with a smile. “Go and get Durban some of that fresh baked bread. And maybe some of that nice stew you made. It’s the least we can do for what he did for our roof.”

“Yes, Mummy.” Marri said with a look towards Durban and a secret smile as she made her way towards the kitchen.
 
"I'm from Inverness originally," Durban was glad to answer her questions, "I don' talk about m' Da, 'e wasn' th'best man, but my Ma, Katherine Ghis, she's lovely li' yerself. I've got three brothers, Brogan, Boar, an' Ashien, an' two sisters Selena an' Kayla. I'm th'eldest." He knew the Ghis name could be a hit or miss or a terror depending on who the people were that he told. The Welsh were supposed to be afraid, but most small-town folk didn't care much.
 
“Oh, Inverness is lovely.” Elise said, smiling at Durban as he answered all of her questions freely and openly. “My husband and I went there before we settled here with his father. We use to travel with goods until Marri came along.”

Elise was still babbling as Marri came out with the bread and the stew, placing it down in front of Durban before she went back behind the bar with her grandfather.

“See, Grandpa. Mummy likes him just fine. Why can’t you give Durban a chance?” She asked him quietly as she filled another glass of ale for an unusually busy night.
 
"My answer's final," Lysander growled, a warning for her not to cross him. "He's a Scot, a nomad, a rover, and I'll bet there's been many other girls like you, smitten with him when he comes to town. I'm not saying he's bad, but you can bet he's broken a hundred hearts just like yours. Probably done worse in a few places, but that's not something I should talk about in front of a lady." He turned away and went about his business.
 
Marri nodded silently, letting her grandfather go on his way without another word. She didn’t believe that Durban was that kind of man. He was kind and gentle and honest with her…wasn’t he? As she looked towards her husband as he talked with her mother, she was sure that her grandfather was completely wrong about him.

“Who wants another round?” She called out, filling the glasses of those who wanted, serving food to those who asked for it.

This went on until closing, long after her family had gone to bed, and she was left to clean up the tavern with a little help from Durban. “I should at least make a show of going to my room.” Marri said softly, looking at her husband with a little smile.
 
Back
Top