Memoir Writing Workshop Recommendations

Cycliste

Literotica Guru
I have thought about writing my personal memoir for a long while now. I have never written anything aside from personal journaling and college papers. So I'm looking into a writing workshop geared specifically for memoirs. I've come across two that seem promising though pricey for a beginner that may just be pipe dreaming. I would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations on the two below or any other that you know of.

Writer's On Line Workshop -- Presented by Reader's Digest

Gotham Writers' Workshop

The memoir workshops I know of are geared to encourage folks to write memoirs. You apparently don't need that. Why don't you just sit down and write? There's no particular secret in writing them.

I have thought about writing my personal memoir for a long while now. I have never written anything aside from personal journaling and college papers. So I'm looking into a writing workshop geared specifically for memoirs. I've come across two that seem promising though pricey for a beginner that may just be pipe dreaming. I would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations on the two below or any other that you know of.

Writer's On Line Workshop -- Presented by Reader's Digest

Gotham Writers' Workshop

There are plenty of memoir writing books for sale for lots less money than a seminar.

Most memoirs take the form: What people and experiences formed your sexuality, work ethic, morals, etc.

Example: Most of the years I spent in school I wished and hoped and prayed to Jesus to be average; I had been tested back in the beginning, and my IQ was 85 or the bottom rung of the average range, 84% of the people on Earth were smarter than me. But that changed one day in the 12th grade when one of my teachers championed me for a seat in a course reserved for the best and the brightest. I peed down my leg looking at the brainiacs around me. The teachers gave us a long test to see what we knew about the subjects: Literature, Painting, and Music Theory. The next class they scratched their heads and expressed dismay that every student, except one, failed the test; and the one student made a perfect score. WHERE IS JIM JOHNSON? They asked. No one knew me in that room.

Thanks for bringing me back to a realistic point of view. Makes sense. I'm off to research which book to start with. I'm excited!

Back