Geek Pride Day! Official Support Thread

Okay, because I'm an orderly sort that likes lists (and yet somehow I have taken fewer than three pages of notes on my entire 6-year fantasy epic), I just want to post a
Tentative List of Authors who have expressed interest so far. :D

No one's obligated, but we are sincerely hoping!

In Order of Appearance:

BiscuitHammer

Antryg Windrose

electricblue66

Blind_Justice

lovecraft68

ChloeTzang

Voboy (FIRST FINISHED! 21,000 words, and yes, it includes penetrative sex with an alien who has a prehensile penis and can cum on order. Also lots of oral, in all sorts of contexts. And a space battle!)

YouDidWhut

xelliebabex

rutger5

LoquiSordidaAdMe

Alice_Rosaleen

PrettyLilPussy

JasonClearwater

Hope the list gets longer!

Myself, I've love to, although I am uncertain I can commit and have no idea as of now. I am not closing the door yet if a short and lovely idea strikes, but I'll most certainly be watching this event and showing my support! :D

Yep, mine is churning along, with a beta bypass already, "is this too ambitious for a single story?".

Answer - yes, it is. So that's the follow-up sorted (for next year's anthology - there will be one, right?).

Must rush. Need to write a girl in a space suit with an integrity breach...

Okay, because I'm an orderly sort that likes lists (and yet somehow I have taken fewer than three pages of notes on my entire 6-year fantasy epic), I just want to post a
Tentative List of Authors who have expressed interest so far. :D

No one's obligated, but we are sincerely hoping!

Myself, I've love to, although I am uncertain I can commit and have no idea as of now. I am not closing the door yet if a short and lovely idea strikes, but I'll most certainly be watching this event and showing my support! :D

I'm 15K deep in my tentative contribution, plodding along. Having read EB's WIP, your latest work Etaski (When I wear the mask, although I haven't finished it yet), and some of Lovecraft's nice, dark work, among others, I'm not sure I'm up to the standard I'd like to be at, or skewed enough towards the theme. So, we'll see. But I do want to finish my WIP before I start working on anything else. If there's a creativity gauge, I'm operating at around 70%.

Yep, mine is churning along, with a beta bypass already, "is this too ambitious for a single story?".

Answer - yes, it is. So that's the follow-up sorted (for next year's anthology - there will be one, right?).

Must rush. Need to write a girl in a space suit with an integrity breach...

And a hot stud called Jonah needs to be gay-verted.

Listen to Jason. Jason knows best...

giphy.gif

I'm 15K deep in my tentative contribution, plodding along. Having read EB's WIP, your latest work Etaski (When I wear the mask, although I haven't finished it yet), and some of Lovecraft's nice, dark work, among others, I'm not sure I'm up to the standard I'd like to be at, or skewed enough towards the theme. So, we'll see. But I do want to finish my WIP before I start working on anything else. If there's a creativity gauge, I'm operating at around 70%.
Nice to see an update so quickly. :) That's pretty deep. Nice and deep. Yes.

If I may ask, what do the 3 works you mentioned have to do with your story? Are they all dark, and that's where you are leaning, too?

As for "skewing" towards the theme...that's something I wondered about with "When I Wear the Mask." Written for the Mystery Tour but almost could have worked for Geek Pride Day. If one knows what to look for (i.e. if you are a gamer who has ever played "All Flesh Must Be Eaten," "Deadlands," "Witchcraft," any "World of Darkness" game or "SLA Industries" just to name a few), it actually does have Horror Geekery in it.

Public and private response has been all over the place, from "Awesome!" to "GAH! FOUL!" The most informative was the light-hearted mention of Trough-man. (Can't argue with the parallel...)

But somehow my Geek cred there remains in place even with this story. One long-time reader, certified and proud Geek in his 60s, caught the Blade Runner undertones, nailed it precisely, and I was floored. :eek:

Nice to see an update so quickly. :) That's pretty deep. Nice and deep. Yes.

If I may ask, what do the 3 works you mentioned have to do with your story? Are they all dark, and that's where you are leaning, too?

Quality of language. Language power and sophistication. Creative construction... [Edit] That's what they have in common with each other, and don't have in common with mine. :)

Last edited:
"My first hint something was askew was the snoring dragon just ten yards away. I'd been concussed often enough that the purple foliage of the trees and green skies overhead could be ignored. Hell, even the twin suns weren't really a warning flag. I've had enough head injuries that I've seen double more than twice. But, a dragon snoring little streamers of smoke, that was definitely new and definitely not something I would see on my average day in the West Texas High Plains. But, being blown up, or whatever the hell had happened while I was working in my little hobby smithy, did have a tendency to do odd things to the mind.

"Still, deciding discretion was the better part of valor, I made my aching body obey enough to drag myself out of the little clearing and fall over the other side of a fallen tree I couldn't have reached my arms around. The long dagger or short sword fantasy piece I'd been working on affixing the ruby pommel when the world decided it had had enough of my shenanigans was still in my hand and I tried to feel grateful that I had a weapon through the pain of the five backward curving spikes on the knuckle guard carving into my chest when I hit the ground.

"My head hurt. My body hurt. My chest burned. My fucking hair hurt. I needed another minute before I put any more distance, or obstacles between me and the slumbering leviathan. Maybe two. That was my last thought for a while."

Not sure just what Etaski was trying to say leaving me out of her list. (Thanks for compiling that, by the way.) Did she think I wasn't trying? Or did she know me well enough to know I didn't have a decent beginning as yet (and yes, that was it)? Or was she just tweaking my barbarian berserker nose with her drow priestess magick to prove I wasn't completely immune to her dark spider magick as I'd thought?

Unlike Etaski, however, I am fully committed to having a horse in this friendly joust. I'm just hoping I can manage a Thoroughbred Stallion Warhorse instead of a Shetland Unicorn Pony in ill-fitting armor. :D

Not sure just what Etaski was trying to say leaving me out of her list. (Thanks for compiling that, by the way.) Did she think I wasn't trying? Or did she know me well enough to know I didn't have a decent beginning as yet (and yes, that was it)? Or was she just tweaking my barbarian berserker nose with her drow priestess magick to prove I wasn't completely immune to her dark spider magick as I'd thought?
A spider-silk gown shushes over skin as she crosses her legs, sitting on a throne. A chuckle fills the darkness.

"The self-named barbarian--'Chronic Chaos,' I believe is the title?--must only be ignored a bit before he decides to play. The tickle behind your ear is your own paranoia, so pay it no mind."

:D

(And you're welcome for the list. Otherwise, there's no team to root for, just a bunch of people scattered in a field.)

Unlike Etaski, however, I am fully committed to having a horse in this friendly joust. I'm just hoping I can manage a Thoroughbred Stallion Warhorse instead of a Shetland Unicorn Pony in ill-fitting armor. :D
*reads the red-pommel explosion in West Texas resulting in sleeping dragon and hair hurting*...

...*loops spider-silk lasso around barbarian throat, pulls nose-to-berserker-nose and tweaks it*

Geek. Write more of this. Now. :rose:

And I guarantee you a Shetland Unicorn Pony is much more useful in the long run, but I suppose a Thoroughbred Stallion Warhorse would fetch a high price. ;)

I'll take care of it for him.

latest

We now have a grossly inappropriate book cover for this anthology. :D

Revised list:

In Order of Appearance:

PuckIt

BiscuitHammer

Antryg Windrose

electricblue66

Blind_Justice

lovecraft68

ChloeTzang

Voboy
(FIRST FINISHED! Quote the author: "21,000 words, and yes, it includes penetrative sex with an alien who has a prehensile penis and can cum on order. Also lots of oral, in all sorts of contexts. And a space battle!")

YouDidWhut

xelliebabex

rutger5

LoquiSordidaAdMe

Alice_Rosaleen

PrettyLilPussy

JasonClearwater

Huzzah!

I've been kind of quiet so far, because the ideas I hoped would do it for me didn't quite work out. Thank the heavens the muse gave me one hell of a beej last night and I'm happy to announce I'm writing my ass off.

Not wanting to spoil too much, I'm writing a "shipwrecked" story in my current SF universe. Those who like my "Fading Stars" arc will probably get a kick out of it, those who don't won't. :) And yes, it's a stand-alone. Unless "writing in your own universe" does violate the "no chapters, no serials" rule.

I've been kind of quiet so far, because the ideas I hoped would do it for me didn't quite work out. Thank the heavens the muse gave me one hell of a beej last night and I'm happy to announce I'm writing my ass off.

Not wanting to spoil too much, I'm writing a "shipwrecked" story in my current SF universe. Those who like my "Fading Stars" arc will probably get a kick out of it, those who don't won't. :) And yes, it's a stand-alone. Unless "writing in your own universe" does violate the "no chapters, no serials" rule.

Heyla, Blind_Justice,

I wouldn't say that writing within an existing universe violates the spirit of the rules, so long as it is a self-contained story arc.

I'm glad to hear you're up and running!

Alright. Anyone up for a quick beta read? I'd like a kind soul to check if I committed the crime of "too much boring exposition". About 5k words worth of world-building with minimal sex (so far).

I'd reciprocate happily.

Alright. Anyone up for a quick beta read? I'd like a kind soul to check if I committed the crime of "too much boring exposition". About 5k words worth of world-building with minimal sex (so far).

I'd reciprocate happily.

I might be. I'm very curious about overlap in our stories, and I'm on the fence if I want to know more about yours in progress, or if it's better to just see them both at the end. You also mentioned that this is an established universe. Would I need to get caught up on your previous work to understand this one?

I might be. I'm very curious about overlap in our stories, and I'm on the fence if I want to know more about yours in progress, or if it's better to just see them both at the end. You also mentioned that this is an established universe. Would I need to get caught up on your previous work to understand this one?

Hi Loqui,

you would NOT need to read my earlier works. That's the main reason for me struggling with the amount of exposition - I want to make this story a good entry point into my universe, so I'm trying to put all the necessary bits in for new readers, yet still try to keep the info dump small enough as to not tire out returning readers.

I doubt there will be much in the way of overlap. My story will feature a crew of at least six and their exploits on an alien planet, with some interpersonal shenanigans in between while yours sounds like a much more confined piece. Feel free to send a PM to hash out contact details.

If you'd like two kind souls, B_J, I can take a look at your intro, and I have no Shetland Unicorn Pony of my own to worry about. :D

I'd reciprocate happily.

Hell, I’m not busy.

Back