Wages fall while stock buybacks soar

someoneyouknow

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jun 5, 2006
Posts
28,274
Six months after the Tax Cut and Jobs Act became law, there's still little evidence that the average job holder is feeling the benefit.

Worker pay in the second quarter dropped nearly one percent below its first-quarter level, according to the PayScale Index, one measure of worker pay. When accounting for inflation, the drop is even steeper. Year-over-year, rising prices have eaten up still-modest pay gains for many workers, with the result that real wages fell 1.4 percent from the prior year, according to PayScale. The drop was broad, with 80 percent of industries and two-thirds of metro areas affected.

The money that has trickled down to workers this year hasn't been permanent, PayScale found. "One of the things we saw is firms are leaning more toward giving bonuses rather than straight pay increases," said Bardaro. "It's flashy, it makes you feel good, but it then doesn't stick around and compound year over year.

Meanwhile, the national debt has soared to new heights as a direct result of workers not being able to spend more and stimulate the economy, an economy already on edge due to the severe cutbacks in revenue while government spending increases.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/worker-wages-drop-while-companies-spend-billions-to-boost-stocks/
 
Back
Top