Book Porn

I once bought a flatbed wagon full of books. They all fit into my little car, but it was an interesting ride home. It took hours to get them all into the house.
 
I've always wanted to go to Wales. Now I have no excuse not to go. That'd be my slice of heaven!
 
I once bought a flatbed wagon full of books. They all fit into my little car, but it was an interesting ride home. It took hours to get them all into the house.

Years ago, when I was working for another secondhand bookdealer, he had gone out for his usual liquid lunch.

A flatbed stopped outside the shop which was a dangerous place to park. The driver came in carrying a black rubbish sack. Would we be interested in the contents?

The sack was full of legal documents on parchment, none later than the 1890s. I said 'Yes, but I'll have to speak to the owner and he won't be back until 3.30."

The driver replied: "OK. I'll unload everything and come back at 5pm when I finish work."

He unloaded 45 black sacks. That nearly filled the floor space in the front room of the shop. It took me an hour to move and pile them so that any customers could get at the bookshelves. When the owner returned he was slightly annoyed that there were so many black sacks until he started looking through the first sack.

When the driver returned they agreed a price of £100 cash there and then. The driver was a self-employed builder working on the basement of a local solicitor's office. He was converting the basement into a kitchen, toilet and store room but the legal documents were in his way. They were redundant and no longer necessary after changes to Land Registration. The solicitor told the builder "get rid of them". It would have cost money to take the load to the rubbish tip as commercial waste so the builder had saved the solicitor money and had made £100 for himself.

Most of the parchments were boring temporary leases of grazing land and were sold for decoration. They looked good when framed. But some of them were very early. The earliest was 14th Century - a very small piece of parchment written in Latin.

The owner eventually made a profit of several thousand pounds from those black sacks but it took months to list and catalogue them for sale.
 
Gorgeous Edition

1866_alice_in_wonderland_zps2ff7599e.jpg
 
how does one access the books behind the stair?

fail :(
 
i like that one :)


and dude 5'6" ain't tiny. i thought you were gonna say 4'11" or somethin'
 
Back
Top