I like Ships too

The regular crew guys work their asses off. I'd consider a life at sea, if they let me be the captain.

Shit, no. Don't do it, hoss. Don't take the job if offered. You have to worry all the time about navigation and fog and other ships and shifting cargo and the weather and keeping a schedule or hitting something and, then there are the "unknown unknowns."


I promise you Murphy was the captain of a vessel and that's why he came up with all those Laws.


Now, if you're talking about some downhill tradewind sailing, that's an entirely different proposition.


 
Got to "guard" this ship in June of '10. I was just a commnuications/customer service type person between the ship and the public who came to the chain link fence. My radio was at the ready for any real security issues and we did have a few. We had gaukers, and protesters, and retired Navy who gave me some good nuggets of information for me to share. We also had Russian-Americans who were anti-Russia screaming things. I found it to be very interesting especially when I got to explain what was going on to people who had NO IDEA and were scared about what the USA was up to.

Their whole crew was on deck as it passed under the Bay Bridge and docked. Our top brass and their's met on the deck while their band played both national anthems. I also got to hear their version of tapes as the flags came down at sunset. :cool:

http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20100603/159281353.html

159281428.jpg


The Varyag is a Slava class missile cruiser, designed as a surface strike ship with some anti-air and ASW capability. The sixteen SS-N-12 Sandbox nuclear-capable supersonic anti-ship missiles are mounted in four pairs on either side of the superstructure, giving the ship a distinctive appearance.

NATO experts had dubbed Russian combat ships of this class "the killer of aircraft carriers," as it can launch 1,000 kg of high-explosives or a tactical nuclear warhead out to a range of 300 nautical miles.
 
If it does not have a chocolate buffet or a swimming pool, I want nothing to do with it.
 


Damn, the place I live is amazing. We're sitting around having dinner tonight at the hotel dining room talking about heat pumps ( of all things ) and this fellow sitting alone at the next table chimes in, "I don't mean to interrupt but I've just finished installing one and... "


It turns out the fellow was a graduate of the Massachusetts Maritime Academy and had spent 17 years working for Exxon Shipping. He's sailed around the world several times but his main runs were from the Gulf Coast through the Panama Canal to the West Coast and from Alaska to the West Coast. He said, "... and, yes, I knew Joe Hazelwood" and confirmed that he was "a drinker" but "a good sailor." At that point, I couldn't help but chime in that I thought Hazelwood had gotten a "bum rap." Our newfound friend's eyes lit up;
It's nice to see someone who's done their homework. Yes, he was captain of the ship but it was somebody else— most likely the mate— who screwed up. I give Hazelwood credit; it's a good thing he didn't try to back off Bligh Reef. That would have been a real disaster. I saw the Valdez in drydock after they towed her down to San Diego. Basically the whole right side from bow to midships was missing.


Then, as old salts do, we began to swap sea stories— tales of rounding Cape Horn, the relative merits of Martha's Vineyard versus Nantucket, the Elizabeth Islands, 1,000' long supertankers losing all their foc'sle deck fixtures to storm driven seas. It was an interesting conversation.


 
Back
Top