GLBT Daily Vibe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow - love those first two - love Salsa woohoo :) :) :) the bass player has a five string guitar :eek:

thank you G: that'll send me off to bed with a smile

Yes the bass player is Richard Bona He has some beautiful stuff. He is from Cameroon Africa, sings most of his music in his native tongue. Beautiful man from the sweetness of his music I assume.:)

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong thread : (

I have removed it, silly me.

Last edited:
So I have a YouTube account, just for browsing not posting. I keep up with other TGs that way, plus music stuff - guitar lessons etc. Last night on the suggestions came this
Louis Theroux, A place for Paedophiles

Now I admire Theroux: he has a knack of bringing controversial topics to the screen on BBC tv so I watched a little of it. Then later, I began to wonder 'Why did Google think this was relevant to me?' I know much of the way that Google works: very elegant algorithms compare your past viewing, it includes anything you've bought online, it looks at other viewing trends and makes suggestions. Does it mean there is a human editor in the equation linking paedophilia with the trans* topics on my dashboard? Or more disturbing, have Googles algorithms spotted a trend, based on actual viewing patterns?

It's not a big deal and I know I get hyper-sensitive to this kind of thing. Has anyone else seen similar links or found it a bit sinister?

So I have a YouTube account, just for browsing not posting. I keep up with other TGs that way, plus music stuff - guitar lessons etc. Last night on the suggestions came this
Louis Theroux, A place for Paedophiles

Now I admire Theroux: he has a knack of bringing controversial topics to the screen on BBC tv so I watched a little of it. Then later, I began to wonder 'Why did Google think this was relevant to me?' I know much of the way that Google works: very elegant algorithms compare your past viewing, it includes anything you've bought online, it looks at other viewing trends and makes suggestions. Does it mean there is a human editor in the equation linking paedophilia with the trans* topics on my dashboard? Or more disturbing, have Googles algorithms spotted a trend, based on actual viewing patterns?

It's not a big deal and I know I get hyper-sensitive to this kind of thing. Has anyone else seen similar links or found it a bit sinister?

It probably depends more on what sort of meta info was listed for the Theroux video, rather than just the title of the video. For instance, just in the description the following words come up: British, documentary, unique, style, balance, neutrality and independence. That's just in the first sentence. It's also by the BBC and is under the "Education" category.

So, Google probably thought you'd find the video interesting. I don't think it was equating the criminals in this video with anything else you've viewed.

Last edited:
It probably depends more on what sort of meta info was listed for the Theroux video, rather than just the title of the video. For instance, just in the description the following words come up: British, documentary, unique, style, balance, neutrality and independence. That's just in the first sentence. It's also by the BBC and is under the "Education" category.

So, Google probably thought you'd find the video interesting. I don't think it was equating the criminals in this video with anything else you've viewed.
Oh OK...and it was quite interesting for the first ten mins then all the inmates seemed to have the same glassey-eyed look in their eyes and it creeped me out.
I see I also have "I Train My Wife Like a DOG!!! Abusive Husbands! (2008 Maury) - Part 1/2" so there is some balance to their suggestions :confused: :D

Thanks to Dyslexicea for finding a Katie Couric show and subsequent review:

"It's about the TV show Katie Couric did on "Growing Up Transgender". I think you'll like this article, the author is trans and kickass, but parts of her article did bring tears to my eyes. Her article also includes a link the show's website where you can watch the show as aired."

:rose::rose:
Lets try this, how odd..

http://www.autostraddle.com/trapped-in-the-wrong-body-katie-couric-talks-to-and-about-trans-people-with-limited-success-159359/

Last edited:
Thanks to Dyslexicea for finding a Katie Couric show and subsequent review:

"It's about the TV show Katie Couric did on "Growing Up Transgender". I think you'll like this article, the author is trans and kickass, but parts of her article did bring tears to my eyes. Her article also includes a link the show's website where you can watch the show as aired."

http://www.autostraddle.com/trapped-...uccess-159359/

:rose::rose:

I'm still lurking, and listening to you lovely ladies. I couldn't get the link to work....got another I could try?? Thanks!!

"not knowing whether you want to be with a woman, or just be that woman"

sound familiar? :)

I'm always willing to try something....at least once.
Thanks for fixing the link. I did learn about "Puberty blockers"...and I really love learning new things. They were all interesting, but I really admired the dad accepting Devon as a woman....I wish all parents could be so understanding, and accepting....especially dads!
Thanks again...now back to my corner...lol!

Devon is a lucky girl. One tv programme cannot cover every aspect of the trans* ( it would fail if it tried to ) so I understand why they focussed on the positive message. In some ways the curiosity the topic engenders can be played to our advantage because a good proportion of viewers will be drawn in for the kink interest - oh yes, they will. So once you've got their attention then its easier to show the human story behind the headline.
Better that, than risk hitting them with the hard facts, because everyone is tired of hard-luck stories: that 25% of trans* kids get thrown out their homes; that over 40% of transgender people have attempted suicide. The average Jo doesn't want to hear that and will just switch off.
It's all about education and any teacher knows you have to present information in a digestible form.

So yes - a slightly tinsel-town tv presentation but I'm not going to knock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back