dead poetry society

what you seem to be measuring is views not reads, lit has a delay ( I've been scored and not even registered as a view, thank you anon)
what you want is a reaction, somebody actually says something, preferably specific to the poem
now the writers when they write a poem bring their fan base over and generally get more votes than comments because really reading poetry is a huge pain in the ass, probably in most cases more of a pain in the ass than writing it -
case in point type in computer generated poetry in google

1. most people are self absorbed a-holes
2. so when bronze says that poetry is only read by poets, consider the inclusive definition of both poetry and poet
3. revisit 1 and take a look around you - place is rife with poets and 'poetry' and damn few real readers, my guess at it's peak 10, down to maybe zero now, no reward structure in place for that.

Tags are not going to help you, they can just as easily used by the shelf crowders.

The only real thing to work on is self improvement, because wtf it is only a hobby, there is no money in writing poetry, writing grants, maybe, but then you have to come up with 70 pages of crap. Which partially explains all the white space in poems. Or you can become a teacher, the real money is in the teaching, but your 70 page crapfest is now required reading. You may even acquire a fan or two. Look the part, grow a beard and/or acquire a receding hairline. Ditch the leather pants, that went out when Morrison died. BTW tuck your shirt in, that went out when Ginsberg died.

Here is a picture to help you on your way of a typical poet in action
Grima-grima-wormtongue-35722126-736-479.jpg

which in the line of credits, i stole from whence

I once read that there are more books on poetry criticism published and sold each year than actual books of poetry.

Good to see you around 1201. It's pretty dead without you. Though I'm just a lurker nowadays, one needs to be educated or entertained to sustain a lurking fetish.

The only real thing to work on is self improvement, because wtf it is only a hobby, there is no money in writing poetry, writing grants, maybe, but then you have to come up with 70 pages of crap. Which partially explains all the white space in poems. Or you can become a teacher, the real money is in the teaching, but your 70 page crapfest is now required reading. You may even acquire a fan or two. Look the part, grow a beard and/or acquire a receding hairline. Ditch the leather pants, that went out when Morrison died. BTW tuck your shirt in, that went out when Ginsberg died.

Lit and similar sites still earn revenue despite not writing their own stories or poetry. Even on a much reduced scale, my personal site where I give away all of own my poetry turns a profit.

I once read that there are more books on poetry criticism published and sold each year than actual books of poetry.

Good to see you around 1201. It's pretty dead without you. Though I'm just a lurker nowadays, one needs to be educated or entertained to sustain a lurking fetish.

Lit and similar sites still earn revenue despite not writing their own stories or poetry. Even on a much reduced scale, my personal site where I give away all of own my poetry turns a profit.

Let's address both of these issues, lit. needs diversity and critical mass, sometime ago in the past it had it. Personally I came and stayed, largely because of YDD, annaswirls and WickedEve, however there was a larger group involved that sweetened the mix.

Both annaswirls and WickedEve offered entertainment and rather unique poetry and were active in offering support, i.e. they were not self absorbed a-holes. That is largely missing.

In your case Magnetron what you offer is a rather unique type of poetry also. I'm sure you have gotten the "that's not poetry" bullshit in the past, I'm sure it happens still. Both anna and eve had their own sites also, I assume they were not revenue sustainers. What I assume you are doing is selling adverts (giving away poetry) this is a good model, let's not take the purist position. And as said your material is unique and entertaining and easily accessible , fuck damn, that is a good position to be in. A good market position. And marketed. Now because of it being your 'own store', you don't have to worry about self space crowding, a case to consider is cola wars, in some respects poetry and pop are alot alike. New poems reviews are the main advertising, it has largely been abandoned. What you are proposing is a alternative form of marketing, been done before and suffers from backlash, i.e. 'why is Mag getting this attention, and I the better poet, not?'
You know the types. My favorite 'dust bunny' has inferred in the past that I indulge in pandering, and I don't indulge in marketing, nor does the idea of fans sit well with me.
Laying that out, but wish you well, and good luck. It is a good thing you have a thick skin. If you have a vision, you need it.
But like my fave db sj says me being here 'is a horrible waste of time' even though it was not directed at me, but the weather is shitty and I have nothing better to do.

Glad to see the mods doing their job and taking down the picture of Grima Wormtongue - digital copyright law and all that, like anybody pays attention unless you are a Disney lawyer enforcing. Or a Disney writer adapting.

Despite the topic, I'm not here for readers or additional readers. I'm here for feedback.

Twelve, thanks for the feedback.

It's nice to hear that I am something more than a stinky cockroach dog. Whatever the fuck that is.

Last edited:
Despite the topic, I'm not here for readers or additional readers. I'm here for feedback.

Twelve, thanks for the feedback.

It's nice to hear that I am something more than a stinky cockroach dog. Whatever the fuck that is.
as said, if you take everyone here and lump all the accumulated knowledge and stuff it in one poet, that said poet would still miss things
assuming they didn't blow up first, because some things are contradictory.
what is all boils down to is repetition and offset, so theoretically it all possible to write a good poem that is 90% cliche* but those offsets better be god damn good.
(it is just easier to subvert them)

i'll also mention cliche is what most people live, thrive on, so you will pick up on the dumbo audience, of course they won't like the offset.

in your case what you do is consistently 'wrong', however the operative word may be consistent instead of 'wrong', you have to consider the context of the whole. but that requires extra thinking.
line from Shelley:

An old, mad, blind, despised, and dying King;

fuck king wrong isn't it? one fuck king noun, and an extra beat
muthafucka - I wish I had thought of that line

i'll return to this with a further elaboration, just so I can bore* the shit out of everyone, since my original post was effectively buried.

*bore has at least two meanings

Glad to see the mods doing their job and taking down the picture of Grima Wormtongue - digital copyright law and all that, like anybody pays attention unless you are a Disney lawyer enforcing. Or a Disney writer adapting.

I can see the photo when I preview a quote of your post, so it wasn't molested by a mod. Why it didn't show up in your original post is baffling, but now it loads for me.

Last edited:
Back