Is partial BDSM still BDSM?

BushyVince

Virgin
If I understand it correctly, BDSM stands for Bondage & Discipline, Domination & Submission, Sadism & Masochism. So if, for example, there is bondage, discipline, domination and submission involved, but there's no inflicting or receiving of pain (sadism & masochism) involved, can it still be called BDSM? Does it become BDS?
Serious question.

If I understand it correctly, BDSM stands for Bondage & Discipline, Domination & Submission, Sadism & Masochism. So if, for example, there is bondage, discipline, domination and submission involved, but there's no inflicting or receiving of pain (sadism & masochism) involved, can it still be called BDSM? Does it become BDS?
Serious question.

BDSM is an umbrella term; it covers all three of those things together or separately.

No need to feel silly, really. It's better to ask a question than to make unwarranted assumptions.

I would suggest you wander through our Library and read a few (or a few dozen) threads there that seem to strike your interest, as well as threads that strike it here on the main page. After you've done that, feel free to ask questions, either in established threads or in a new one of your own if you still have questions that haven't been answered that way (and don't be surprised if you do; even this forum, in its years of existence, hasn't covered *every*thing there is to know about BDSM and the folks who live in it, either part- or full-time.

Welcome.

Back