Your Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes it's the best way to describe. :)

Zumi, we've done that corn grilling thing all summer and it makes the corn taste luscious! I'm a fan of corn already, it doesn't have to work too hard to make me happy, but doing it on the grill like that is magic! I don't even put anything on it. Just straight-up deliciousness.

I'm wishing now that I'd bought a cheapo mini-grill for my balcony prior to summer's start, because it's gonna still be warm happy sunny times for at least another month...and I've got a hankering for grilled veggies thanks to that illustration! :D

I'm wishing now that I'd bought a cheapo mini-grill for my balcony prior to summer's start, because it's gonna still be warm happy sunny times for at least another month...and I've got a hankering for grilled veggies thanks to that illustration! :D

May I suggest grilled peaches and pineapple slices? Polenta is also delicious grilled.

There's nothing like that taste. Charcoal, for us.
If you don't get to it this year, you'll know you want it for next year!

tumblr_n86o66Ucr61rjpm4uo1_1280.jpg

IMPORTANT! Please soak your husks of corn in cold water for 10 minutes before grilling so they don’t catch on fire/burn.

Also remember to salt & pepper almost everything on here.

also green beans (at least three skewered on 2 bamboo sticks)
small cauliflower florets, halved and skewered
mushrooms, halved and skewered
whole garlic cloves, skewered

slices of potato, 3 or 4 threaded onto skewers.
eggplant, rounds, on skewers, to lay flat to grill.

chilli and cumin on almost everything!

sheep testicles, halved, skewered
kidney chunks, also skewered.

Ham & Asparagus crepes

Stouffers used to make an entrée, Ham & Asparagus crepes. I haven't seen it in years so I guess they stopped making it. Well yesterday I had a craving for them so without a recipe I set about trying to duplicate it. When I'm cooking if I can take a shortcut I will as long as it makes sense. Relax I didn't use a microwave
:rolleyes:

I used a Knorr Hollandaise sauce packet as the base for the sauce.
For crepes I used a thin batter by mixing pancake mix and flour. 50/50 ratio.
6oz ham steak trimmed and cubed
1 box of frozen cut asparagus spears.

It was as easy peasy to do, making the actual crepes to wrap was the hardest part. Trial & Error.
First I poured the Crepe batter in a fry pan (well greased) set between low & Medium. I made 3 and set them aside to cool.
Then the Asparagus and Ham was cooked.
Made the sauce according to directions on the packet , stirring continuously until it thickened adding the Asparagus and Ham.

Once that was done I assembled the Crepes and placed in a baking dish. I next put them under the broiler for 5 minutes on low just to give the Crepes some texture. I was surprised how really good they came out and I will take pics next time. Bon Appitite :)

I got three HUGE zucchinis from a client the other day. Seriously, they're like mutants or something. I'm at a loss what to do after grilling, baking, frying and dicing. And that was Only ONE!

I got three HUGE zucchinis from a client the other day. Seriously, they're like mutants or something. I'm at a loss what to do after grilling, baking, frying and dicing. And that was Only ONE!

Zuccini bread?

Zucchini_Cartoon_Ziggy.jpg

Stuffed zucchini?

I made these meatloaf and mashed potato cupcakes (with red pepper flake sprinkles) the other night. They were pretty decent! My sons freaking loved them.

75989044-7454-4161-b6a5-503ca3756de5_zps4c2470fd.jpg

Garnate, those look delicious!

I like to grate zucchini and use it in tomato sauce.

My new favorite condiment:

*Hot Honey picture*
What do you like to put this on? Besides Manu, of course.

Tonight's dinner: purple hull peas, okra, carrots, red onion, garlic, jalapeños, corn, pork sausage, bay leaf, sherry vinegar, S&P. All from the local farmer's market, except the vinegar and spices. Simmered in the crock pot with homemade chicken stock made from last night's roasted chicken carcass.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 10434348_10204365013301937_7382136124899450995_n.jpg
    10434348_10204365013301937_7382136124899450995_n.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 150
Mischka, that looks delicious!
Thanks! It tasted good, too. :D I like meals like that - throw in a lot of veggies, some meat for flavoring, season/spice it up, and there you go! And I adore the crock pot. Homemade broth is so easy and a thousand times better than the store-bought stuff.

I saw an episode of Mind of a Chef that included Field Pea Salad, and can't find the recipe anywhere. Purple hull peas, butterpeas, and peanuts were the base, and it sounded delicious.

Its been cool the last two weeks so I decided to make some chicken soup. Ill post a pic when its finished.

Edit.

Last edited:
Salmon en papillote with herbs, with baby new potatoes tossed in butter and mint, watercress, and steamed kale. Followed by home made lemon verbena ice-cream and raspberries.

The first part is fairly usual - the pudding was only the third time I've made ice-cream and it was delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back