Your non-fiction is touching my fiction. Are you serious?

PayDay

unlabelable
Ever had someone's non-fiction make them angry at your fiction? Maybe Vice Versa? Or have you ever written 'in-character' so well that you were accidentally taken as serious?

I've seen a bunch of posts relating this idea, more examples would be fun, non-Literotica stuff as well. (Let's leave the Loving Wives out of this.)

Other (easy) Examples for discussion:

The Life of Brian - fiction? vs. fiction?
Michael Richards - fiction vs. non-fiction
Bill Clinton/George W. Bush - non-fiction vs. fiction (Hillary wears the pants and a chastity belt, That's My Bush)

You do not have to read the rest of this, as it is just my Lit example and shameless self plugging.

So I had this silly story idea, complicated, but silly. It's more of a rip-off than anything else, and everyone already does it, so it wasn't my idea either. Reality in fiction, but to the next degree, like Vonnegut w/o the talent. Treat the fiction as reality from the third person and write it that way, in the third person with 'realistic' fictional events vs cookie cutter.

Not only that, I decided to throw in three separate stories together, mix the timelines, and unite it via one superhero without powers archetype of a male character (Something like an evil Dr. Manhattan crossed with an evil Silver Surfer crossed with an evil Bruce Banner along with zero anger issues or cosmic powers and fighting for the cause of good). Then I decided to add a little 'shit goes wrong' dramatic liscense with the events.

Because of these things together, it was going to be done in chapters.

As an opener, I decided to write an essay in my main character's mindset (since he's supposed to be all 'misunderstood genius' and it makes for a killer ending) just for some POV to center him to 'realistic' events. Obviously this would have to be the first chapter of what is intended to be a romance story, but was in no way romantic as a stand alone chapter (or in the least for that matter).

Just for shits and giggles, I put it in the Reviews and Essays section, because it 'technically' is an essay. I wrote it in the essay format, as fictional as it may be.

It was taken to be insanely serious, to the point of SamuelX accusations. This is because I wanted to ground the character to people's perspective, and did not reveal this as my intention, just to see what would happen. (read: Dick Move.)

1200 views, 35 votes, 1.37 score in like 5 days

Awesome. Chapter 2 isn't even up, and I acidentally'd making 17 people look dumb because they typed comments on a character's motivation.

I mean, they got mad. Like, really mad, well past grr over nothing. As a kicker, the title was left out of the beginning of the essay the first two days it was up (it has since been fixed).

Here's the link to the feedback if you want to go: http://www.literotica.com/stories/storyfeedbackboard.php?id=581868

Just for shits and giggles, I put it in the Reviews and Essays section, because it 'technically' is an essay. I wrote it in the essay format, as fictional as it may be.

It was taken to be insanely serious, to the point of SamuelX accusations. This is because I wanted to ground the character to people's perspective, and did not reveal this as my intention, just to see what would happen. (read: Dick Move.)

Poe's Law: there's so much genuine crazy/stupid/vain out there that there's no such thing as "too stupid to be genuine". (See also: Fred Phelps, TimeCube, David Icke.) At least that's my excuse. It didn't help that the previous entry in Reviews/Essays was also a "look at me I'm awesome" piece.

I did realise something weird was up when I checked your profile and saw you had other stories with much better ratings. Well trolled, I guess :)

Poe's Law: there's so much genuine crazy/stupid/vain out there that there's no such thing as "too stupid to be genuine". (See also: Fred Phelps, TimeCube, David Icke.) At least that's my excuse. It didn't help that the previous entry in Reviews/Essays was also a "look at me I'm awesome" piece.

I did realise something weird was up when I checked your profile and saw you had other stories with much better ratings. Well trolled, I guess :)

"If you are going to do it, do it right." :D

As someone who reads philosophy on a regular basis, I thought this was fantastic.

It reminds me of E. M. Cioran.

Funny Shit

The frequent use of the word "stupid" was a dead give away that this was not an entirely serious rant/essay, but the truth of the first line still proved to be dead on... "There are things that most of the individual humans reading this are not going to understand, because most of the individual humans reading this are stupid." You got the stupids all riled up, man, BRAVO! Bad stories on this site get in the twos, I've never seen in the ones, except when hate mail is involved. Good show old boy!

I've had people assume some of my fictional stories were true and even got some complaints about the subject matter or details of the stories. Personally, I like stories that sound like they could have happened better than those that are purely fictional.

I've had people assume some of my fictional stories were true and even got some complaints about the subject matter or details of the stories. Personally, I like stories that sound like they could have happened better than those that are purely fictional.

Agreed.

One of the best Anon comments I ever got was on a LW story. it was a simple attack on all the haters: "You guys do know that this is all pretend, right?"

Agreed.

One of the best Anon comments I ever got was on a LW story. it was a simple attack on all the haters: "You guys do know that this is all pretend, right?"

It is funny that people will comment negatively on a story the reader should have known he wasn't going to like before he read it.

It is funny that people will comment negatively on a story the reader should have known he wasn't going to like before he read it.

Right?

from today:
Anon said:
how dumb

i got as far as the opening where you said if you don't like it don't read it how dumb can a person be. I didn't read it you wizard and i know if i did i would be as dumb as you.

Anon said:
how dumb

i got as far as the opening where you said if you don't like it don't read it how dumb can a person be. I didn't read it you wizard and i know if i did i would be as dumb as you.

Shows you how some Anon's come with an 'open mind'.

Back