Grammar and spelling in microsoft word.

BlueEyedNick

Virgin
I have a few issues with spelling and grammar in microsoft word 2010.

First of all it gives me a blue wavy line under the word spat in a sentence like for example, "I just spat in her face." When I right click on the word it suggests I use the word sat instead, which means something completely different. Does anyone know why this happens?

Another issue is that it gives me a green wavy line under "the cum", which is curious because when I remove "the" it does not complain. For example, "She gagged as the cum shot down her throat." Does anyone know what the problem might be?

The English language is too nuanced and ever-developing to be captured by a mechanical program. Both the Grammar and Spellcheck computer programs should be used only as checks and indication of further research. Spellcheck is less useful and comprehensive than Websters' Collegiate (for U.S. style) and Oxford (for British style) dictionaries, and the Grammar check just isn't up to all the permutations of usage that are possible/legitimate and probably never will be. (It's also constructed for business writing, not fiction).

Yes. I am of course aware that the spellcheck/grammarcheck of a computer program can never be fully up to date or include every last word of any language but to me what makes these odd is that I am fairly certain that I have used the words correctly and still the program says they are wrong.

I have another example of this, the phrase "... half a moan and half an ouch."
From what I have learned about english grammar a is used in front of words that start with a consonant and an in front of words that start with a vowel, and still word 2010 gives me a green wavy line under "an ouch."

As I said I am fairly certain that it is the program that is in the wrong with these examples however since English is not my first language it is all too easy sometimes to second guess yourself.

Yes. I am of course aware that the spellcheck/grammarcheck of a computer program can never be fully up to date or include every last word of any language but to me what makes these odd is that I am fairly certain that I have used the words correctly and still the program says they are wrong.

I have another example of this, the phrase "... half a moan and half an ouch."
From what I have learned about english grammar a is used in front of words that start with a consonant and an in front of words that start with a vowel, and still word 2010 gives me a green wavy line under "an ouch."

As I said I am fairly certain that it is the program that is in the wrong with these examples however since English is not my first language it is all too easy sometimes to second guess yourself.

Well, you see, as I said, a mechanical program doesn't capture all of the variations of a language cobbled together from several other languages.

For instance, "a unicycle" and "an honorarium" fly in the face of the example you give.

I already noted that computer grammar programs are set for business English, not fiction, which is far looser in what you can do with the language.

And computer spellcheck is unreliable for plurals, past tense, hyphenation. etc.

I'm taking it that you are fairly young. Technology is great, but those who were born in the technology age and later seem to assume that technology can conquer and organize all, and that just isn't the case--at least not always in enough of a cost-effective manner to do it.

Nothing's going to beat learning the basics yourself and understanding what the authorities are and how to use them.

First of all it gives me a blue wavy line under the word spat in a sentence like for example, "I just spat in her face." When I right click on the word it suggests I use the word sat instead, which means something completely different. Does anyone know why this happens?

Another issue is that it gives me a green wavy line under "the cum", which is curious because when I remove "the" it does not complain. For example, "She gagged as the cum shot down her throat." Does anyone know what the problem might be?

It may be just a matter of adjusting your English grammar and dictionary settings in Word. I think I have mine set where none of the lines show up because it was driving me nuts.

Which just means you're turning the Grammar and Spellcheck functions off altogether.

Word spellchecker can be temperamental. I has an instance the other day when it highlighted 'its' with a wavy blue line. I was sure I'd used the correct version but, out of curiosity, I made the change to 'it's'.

And guess what? I got another blue wavy line! So clearly the programme didn't know either so I went with my best judgement and stuck with my original choice. In the end, it is just a tool to aid us, I wouldn't give it too much control over how you write.

Because Word is a little freaky? :D Ba-dom-bom

Actually, under settings, you have a wide variety of settings, including spell checking as you type or not, whether to include grammar, and whether to check for grammar only, or grammar & style, and more (each version has slightly different settings, I happen to have my old Word 2003 in front of me at the moment, my other computer has 2010). Your custom dictionary probably has a collection of words you've added over the year, but with respect to one of your examples, the non-freaky side of Word is viewing "cum" as in "Magna Cum Laude", not the other type of cum.

Double check the language setting also, to be safe. Remember to select all if you do need to change your language too, otherwise you're not changing the entire document.

Your custom dictionary probably has a collection of words you've added over the year, but with respect to one of your examples, the non-freaky side of Word is viewing "cum" as in "Magna Cum Laude", not the other type of cum.

Yep, that's my guess too.

I suspect "half an ouch" is being flagged not because of a/an issues, but because it's using "ouch" as a noun, which isn't its usual function. I'd be putting the "ouch" in quotes there.

Also... 2007 and beyond

Wavy green is grammar
Wavy red is spelling
Wavy blue is word choice, explaining spat v. sat

(all in conjunction with settings, and accepting that it's not perfect either). Misused words is one of the settings when you go to grammar settings. I'm not suggesting turning it off, just knowing what the lines mean, and that settings are there)

Last edited:

Your computer knows you log onto Literotica, so it thinks you're writing an erotic story, suggesting instead, "I just sat in her face." If you're lucky, it might even suggest a category, like Loving Wives. :D

thanks for the help.
even though my question as such wasn't as much of a technical nature as of a grammatical nature. i should porbably have been clearer on that in my original message.

in the end i think i shall follow bluerush's example and go with my gut instinct when it comes to grammar and spelling instead of second guessing myself.

Back