Under hedges and Mill Stones (closed for Led-Astray)

Nisa hummed to herself as she hung the linens on the rope strung between two trees. As she flipped the third sheet out of the basket and up over the line, Nisa's vision filled with stars. She reached out and grabbed onto the line for a moment till the vertigo passed then continued on, more slowly.

Just as the basket was empty, the inn keepers wife came out a side door and approached with the miller with a mug of cool water. "Could you pick a basked or two full of apples from the trees across the way? If we don't take them, they go to waste." With a smile, Nisa agreed and lifted the basket to her hip, heading off away from the mill.
 
Corbin decided that his best bet was to play dumb.

"Oh yes, I am very hungry indeed. In which case, I should get back to work, whilst it is still light enough. I think it must be only a few minutes until dusk, and a man who chops wood at night often has fewer fingers in the morning."

He smiled openly and handed the cup back to Challa.

"Thank you for the water, miss." and quickly, before she could move any closer or say anything else, he began to swing the axe again, confident that the wide arcs he was swinging over his shoulder would give even this forward vixen pause before trying to get too close.

But once more, she showed him how determined she was to be noticed. After waiting a couple of minutes, Challa moved around in front of the hard-working knight, into his field of vision, sitting provocatively on the fence-railing with her dress "accidentally" riding up to show an expanse of pretty calf and thigh. She sipped from her own cup, contriving to spill water on the front of her garment, causing the thin material to cling to her rounded bosom and reveal the bulge of a pert nipple.

Swallowing hard, Corbin tried not to look at her, but it was becoming too dark to safely hew wood. He looked up, intent on giving her an angry scowl, but what he saw brought him to a sudden stop.

He crossed the distance between them in two quick steps and grabbed her roughly with one arm around her waist.

"Oh sir!" she giggled playfully, only to scream in surprise and anger when he pulled her roughly from the fence and threw her to the ground behind him.

"Hey!" she yelled "What do you think..." but she was cut off as she saw what Corbin had seen - a moldering corpse with eyes that glowed green, shambling along when it should have been dead and buried - and by the look of it, had been.

It opened its mouth to snarl, and a stream of black filth poured forth. Maggots writhed in its cheeks, and in many places the skin and flesh had rotted away clear down to the bone.

Corbin was still moving - the turn by which he had thrown Challa to the floor had been but half of his intent - his other hand still held the axe by the very end of the handle, and although clumsy with one hand on a tool designed for two, the creature did not look much able to dodge...

Powered by the strong muscles of his upper body, given incredibly leverage by the length of the handle and the reach of Corbin's straight arm, the axe-head bit deep into the animated cadaver's head, splitting the skull and spilling rotting brains onto the floor. The foul thing dropped like a stone, returning to true death, but as he gagged at the stench, the knight's keen eyes could see at least 5 more approaching through the gloom.

He turned back to the fallen girl. "Run, Challa! Get back into the inn and tell your father to lock all of the doors!"

Then he heard a scream. A scream in a voice he knew only too well.

"Nisa!" he bellowed, setting off at a dead run, still clutching the axe. Behind him he could hear Challa scrambling to her feet and away, but what did he care of her fate when his beloved was in danger?
 
Nisa picked apples from a large tree on the edge of the towns cemetery. It was a quiet and peaceful place and the miller took a moment to admire the sunset and a mist as it began to form. Turning back to her work, Nisa began to humm a song about a maiden and a brave knight. Her mind began to dwell on the things that had happened in the last few days and the feelings she had developed so quickly for Sir Corbin. Though they had only just met, something deep inside told her they had known each other all along.

As Nisa reached up for an apple, the old branch she held onto broke. The small tree limb in hand, Nisa looked down at it and a voice in her head whispered, "use it". From behind her, Nisa felt a hand on her shoulder. Corbin must be done his work and come to help her carry the heavy basket. Nisa turned with a smile, but the face that greeted her was not the handsome, yet sad one of the hedge knight but what once was a man but only a empty skull remained.

Nisa let out a scream and instinctively swung the branch in her hand, knocking the corpse off it's feet. As it hit the ground, Nisa saw 6 more behind it, and another dozen behind them, and an army of dead crawling from the ground between the head stones.

She had to warn the people of the town. They all needed to get someplace safe. Nisa turned and began to run through the thick fog back towards the inn.... or at least she hoped that was where she was running. The fog had become so think, she no longer could see the building.
 
As he rounded the corner of the inn, Corbin skidded to a halt on the slick grass. A moment ago, the night had been clear, but this fog seemed to have rolled in from nowhere.

"Nisa!" he called urgently. He could see many shapes in the fog, but where...? There!

These creatures are not seem built to run... he thought to himself, as he saw a figure moving much faster than the others through the fog, off to the left. He moved to intercept, hoping he was guessing correctly.

"Nisa!" he bellowed again, hoping that his voice would let her find him in the fog.
 
Nisa's heart pounded in her chest as she ran towards were she thought the inn should be. She had to warn all those people. Suddenly she heard her name being called from in the fog behind her. The unnatural fog distorted the sounds, and the voice that called her name was one she dreaded. She did not hear Sir Corbin calling her name but that of her dead husband.

Her fear turned to anger. Even though he was dead, he still found a way to torment her. With the branch still in hand, she turned back. "No more!" she shouted as she rushed towards the voice. "I won't let you hurt me any more." tears of fear and frustration welled up. She had suppressed them for so long but the fear that he may come back broke the walls she had built around herself to keep such thoughts from hurting her.

"I was a good wife to you and how did you repay me? You slept with everything that had tits. You rubbed it in my face when I couldn't give you a child when they all did. Then you left me with all of them, hating me for all the things you did." As the figure of a man came into view, Nisa raised her make shift cub, her vision obscured by both the fog and her tears.
 
Nisa's crude weapon swung hard and made contact with a meaty thud - and was then tugged from her grasp.

"Hell's Nisa, what are you trying to do?" growled Corbin, crudely disguising his utter, soul-wrenching relief as anger. He tossed the branch away and then shook the hand that had caught it, restoring feeling into the numbness that had resulted when he had chosen to catch the blow in his palm.

Nothing, however, could disguise the relief in his eyes. He took her into his arms, holding the axe awkwardly, and without hesitation kissed her roughyl and with great passion. Then, seeing the shapes advancing through the mist, he took the confused woman by the upper arm and all but dragged her over to the door of the inn.

"Start hammering and hollering, my love." he commanded, not even realising the term by which he had referred to the distraught miller. "If he has any sense, the innkeeper has locked up tight by now. If you cannot persuade him to let us in... well, I do not know how long I can hold them off.

With that, he took a firm grip on the axe and stepped forwards to meet the first two of the shambling corpses that approached. These barely had a scrap of flesh hanging on their bodies, their bones held together solely by scraps of leathery flesh and sinew, and they didn't even raise a hand to defend themselves as the axe swung in a flat, deadly arc, severing both necks with ease. As the skulls bounced hollowly on the soft earth, the bodies collapsed into sad little piles of bones.

They are easy to kill... thought Corbin. Brittle and rotting, and it is as if they do not even see me... but there are so many of them...

So many figures loomed in the fog... five more, in various states of decay, had lurched close enough to see clearly. Corbin leapt towards them but by the time he had put down two, three new ones were bearing down on him even as the other three lurched past him towards Nisa.

"Oh no you don't, abominations!" he bellowed. Ignoring the new threats, He charged towards the ones threatening the lady miller, smashing the spines of two in one sweep of the axe, and then, rather than wasting time reversing the swing, he lunging forwards with the haft. It struck the lurching corpse in the back of the head, shattering the skull and sending it to the floor, putrid foulness leaking from the wound.

He turned back, to find that seven of the foul undead had formed a semi-circle around himself and his unrequited love. Beyond them, more shapes moved directly towards them in the gloom. Panting slightly, wishing he had not discarded his plate harness - even his arming jacket would have been better than bare flesh - he prepared to fight to his last breath in defense of his lady.
 
Nisa blinked hard as Corbin pulled the make shift club from her grip. She felt such relief to see him and not the man who she thought was calling her, he barely hand to reach for her, Nisa jumped into his arms and slid her hands up his bare chest as he leaned down and kissed her with passion. The miller was about to reach up, to wrap her arms about him, holding him close when he pushed her away and began to pull her towards the Inn.

All around them, the walking dead stomped towards them. The knight began to fight, taking one after another down and Nisa banged her fists against the door. "Let us in! Let us in!" She shouted then saw a small slide window at the top of the door open and a pair of blue eyes peer out.

After a moment, the door swung slightly ajar. "Sir Corbin!" Nisa shouted as she rushed in.
 
The dead were easy to put down. A single blow to the head, neck or chest seemed to finish them, ans they had no sense of self-preservation.

But every one returned to death meant the others were a step closer. With the best will in the world, Corbin could not stay their approach. He flew into a frenzy as they closed, speeding up his attacks with manic energy to cut them down twice as fast but knew he could not keep up this frantic pace for long - especially after his prior exertion chopping wood.

Sweat ran in rivers down his back, his front spattered with gore, he was forced back and back until he was back to back with Nisa and could retreat no more. Dead fingernails scraped his skin until at last He felt Nisa move away from him, something only possible if the door had opened, and call his name.

He stepped backwards through the door, using the axe to sever the arms that reached through after him, then as it was slammed shut by the innkeeper himself he collapsed back against it, his chest heaving and his breath coming in rasping whoops.

"Thank... you..." he gasped. "But... other doors...? Windows...?"
 
As Sir Corbin leaned heavily against the door, the innkeeper slipped a large board into brackets. As he did, Nisa looked around the inn. It didn't seem as full as the earlier and she wondered if many had gone home while she had been out with the wash. The sounds of many footsteps, some heavier than others, answered her question.

"Both doors are barred and the windows are all being shuttered." the innkeeper couldn't help but smile with a bit of pride. "This is the safest building in the village. We made sure of that after an small troll wondered through town."

The sound of the undeads hands scrapping at the outside of the building seemed to unnerve the people in the common area but they remained calm. Most remained seated at their tables. The innkeeper daughter and wife poured drinks and placed baskets of bread on each table. All thanked them but the conversation was almost non existent.

The young woman with the large chest and long blonde hair from the garden rushed down the stairs, "Poppa, Poppa. All the windows are locked up tight. But..... we could see over the fog. We could see the other houses in the village." Everyone turned to listen, all concerned for their families and friends not protected by the safety of the inn. "Those things are walking right past open doorways and the fog is only right around the inn. They are all coming here. And Northog told me to tell you he counted 46 of them."

Nisa glanced about. Surprisingly the people in the common room seemed relieved. Some began to talk amongst themselves and drink and even a few jokes were made. They felt safe. some how , Nisa didn't share their feeling. The question of why the undead were here scared her. She looked over at the sun cleric on the other side of the room and he seemed equally unnerved. He kept glancing at the inn keepers daughter.

The miller wrapped her arms around her body and turned back to where the knight still leaned against the door, still slightly panting. His bare chest was slick with sweat, his muscles bulging from all the work he had done then the fight that followed.
 
The scrapes on Corbin’ pale skin, made by the broken jagged fingernails of the dead, flared an angry red as he rested against the secure door. His breathing gradually returned to normal. He frowned at the strange report from upstairs.

“The creatures want something from this inn, then...” He murmured. “Do any of us here know what?”

Nobody spoke. He looked around the room, carefully, seeking guilt or a secret concealed in the faces of the othe people in the room. He found none. In the uncomfortable silence, the sound of unfeeling fists pounding on the doors, and claw-like hands scraping across the shutters, could be heard.

“It’s your fault!” screeched the lovely Challa, afraid and still smarting from Corbin’s rejection of her - ignoring the fact he had protected her from the first of the creatures. “We’ve never seen such a thing before, they must be after you!”

Others in the room rumbled agreement, though they soon stopped when the half-naked warrior hefted the axe - not actually threatening anyone but reminding the room that if they had any plans to throw him and Nisa out to protect themselves, they might well have a serious fight on their hands.

Sighing at this ugly display of all too common human nature, the hedge knight spoke out in disagreement. “We are the most recent arrivals, ‘tis true... perhaps it is us they seek but...” He shook his head, slowly. “...They made very little attempt to harm me, save when I got directly in their path. If I had not stood between them and the door I feel as though they would have walked right past me.”

His musings were greeted with silence. Total silence.

“Have they gone?” asked one of the farmers. But one of the others in the room - the Innkeeper’s other daughter gasped. “Look at the floor!”

Thin tendrils of mist had risen through the gaps between floorboards.

“What lies under this floor?” barked Corbin at the innkeeper.

“Why, just a crawlspace.” replied the confused man, gazing uncomprehendingly at the later of mist that now completely concealed the floor. “We use it to store...” but the knight cut him off with a shouted order.

“Get everybody upstairs, NOW!”
 
The floor boards on the old inn were tacked down to keep them underfoot of the many drunkin patrons, not for holding anything back from underneath. A few made it to the stairwell before the floor simply disappeared, tossed to the side by the undead. The only floor that soon remained was held down by the heavy tables and the weight of those lucky enough to climb on top of them.

There were many that were not as fortunate who got dragged into the shallow pit under the common room floor. The men fought with anything they had, a few even using floor boards. The woman screamed as the undead attacked them, biting, clawing and even trying to tip their limbs from their bodies.

Nisa and Sir Corbin had no chance of reaching the stairs, being next to the door, clear across from the stairwell. The miller scrambled onto the bar to escape the grabbing hands from below and look for a weapon. The portly inn keeper reached past her and retrieved a well warn club he used to break up the odd bar fight and began bashing undead, trying to get close to his fallen wife and youngest daughter. Nisa soon found a skillet that one of the bar maids had set on the bar. heavy iron pan in hand, she jumped down next to Sir Corbin and began swinging. For a moment Nisa wondered how they would all survive. How many more would take the place of any they fell? They were already out numbered 2 to 1.
 
Last edited:
Corbin lashed out with the axe, swinging it in broad circles that cut through the weak flesh and brittle bones of the dead with ease as they tried to close with him and Nisa. Seeign that there was no way they could reach the stairs, he sought another place of refuge - and found one.

"Back, Nisa! To the fireplace!"

His arms were already tired from swinging the axe all evening, but what else could he do? For every creature he cut down another took its place. He wished for his sword, but still considered himself lucky - most of the other occupants of the inn were armed with nothing half so effective.

The fireplace was a huge stone-built affair as befitted a room of this size, and the floor around it was laid with stone slabs to help prevent the risk of a burning ember that should fall from the grate setting the floor on fire. The dead had found these more of an obstacle than the lightly tacked floorboards, and it also meant that they could only attack from one direction. It gave Corbin breathing space, and he looked around the inn to see how the others were fairing.
 
Last edited:
"Back, Nisa! To the fireplace!" Sir Corbin shouted and began to move quickly across the room. Skillet in hand, Nisa tried to follow but, as he cleared a path, it quickly closed behind him. A hand reached up and grabbed her ankle, stopping her half way across to the fireplace. As the head of the undead followed it's arm through the hole in the floor, Nisa's cast pan connected with it's jaw, sending the head flying across the room and she was free for the hand became limp, releasing her.

Nisa got two more steps before something grabbed the back of the hem of her skirt and began to drag her back. She turned quickly and was about to swing, when she saw the upper torso of the inn keeper's wife trying to pull herself from a hole in the floor, and many arms and hands pulling her back in. Nisa swung, knocking arms from the woman's hips and then reached down and began to pull the panic stricken woman from the hole of undead. The inn keeper's wife screamed in pain as more began to pull her, taring her skin and biting. after a moment, the inn keeper came to her rescue, jumping into the hole and beating everything that held his dear wife down. Nisa pulled her from the hole and dragged the crying woman the fast few feet to the fireplace hearth.

From where Sir Corbin stood, he could see the battle quiet well. The hole infront of the the stairs had grown larger, leaving only the floor joists for the undead to crawl up on to get out. three men easily fought them back from the bottom of the stairs with broken chairs. There were three other places where large holes had formed. In one he could see a group of undead merging over a screaming woman. The other two seemed to be exits for the undead as they crawled out. Four were already up and towards the next table where two farmers and a young woman were. The inn keeper walked about freely, batting at anything that got in his way. From the stairs, Sir Corbin could hear the cleric yelling and trying to get past the men holding the undead back. Since he wasn't a large man, they held him back, forcing him to remain away from the fight.
 
"The women..." murmured Corbin to himself. "They are only attacking the women..."

He stepped back into the fray, axe swinging wildy, as he hewed a path back to Nisa's side. As he fought, he bellowed at the top of his voice.

"They attack only the women. Any man that does not take up arms RIGHT NOW will answer to ME when this fight is done. TO ARMS!"

Covered with the gore of the many dead he had slain, his hair matted with both ichor and sweat, the lust of battle within him, and the axe swinging wildly, Corbin looked like one of the frenzied barbarians from the frozen wastes of the north. It would have taken a very, very brave man indeed to ignore the warrior's command.

None did. Even the three on the stairs seized up whatever they could find and, tentatively at first, stepped back into the fray. Their confidence grew as they discovered that the knights words were true, that the foul undead were intent only on female prey, and soon every man was doing his best to smash, slice or bludeon the creatures to the floor.

Only one man was not fighting - the young cleric of the sun. Instead, he pushed his way to the very centre of the room and raised his hands in supplication....
 
As Sir Corbin threw himself back inot the battle, leading the charge with battle lust in his voice, Nisa pulled the inn keepers wife to safety behind the knight's swinging ax. "Shhh" Nisa said as she wrapped her arms about the sobbing woman. "It will be alright..... it will be over soon." the miller took a moment to look around. The fight seemed to be turning now that all the men knew that they were not the undead's targets. All fought well but none like Sir Corbin. Nisa watched him, bare chested, muscles rippling with each swing of his axe, bringing courage and leading the men to all fight. Nisa couldn't help but feel lust of her own.

From the center of the room, all in the room could hear the cleric's voice, deep and strong, "Let your light wash away the shadows!" And suddenly there was a blinding flash of light that filled the room. Many people cried out in surprise and it a few moments for everyone to regain their sight.

When everyone could see again, the saw that the undead were gone. Not even a fallen corpse remained. Only the injured woman, some far worse than others, and the Sun cleric lay in a heap in the middle of the room.

Nisa smiled at Sir Corbin for only a moment before turning her attention to the inn keepers wife who was holding the open bites on her legs. "I'm a healer." Nisa pointed out then reached for the older woman's legs but paused, remembering her mother's bed side manner. "May I try?" The woman didn't speak but simply nodded.

As Nisa's hands rested on the open wounds, she closed her eyes. She could feel Lunium close to her, smiling down on her. A light blue glow came from under her hands and a soft cry of relief from the inn keepers wife. Nisa opened her eyes with surprise. She didn't fell tired. Normally she would have been asleep after the act of healing.

Many others saw her skill and a man grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her to an old woman with bite marks on her neck. Then another to a young girl who's fingers had been bitten off. Not only did Nisa heal her, but her fingers were restored. As she was dragged by the cleric's body, Nisa stopped to check on him. He was asleep, drained by the prayer that had ended the battle. His face still held an expression of worry. He opened his eyes for a moment and he began to say something before she was pulled away to heal another woman. And another, and another.

From across the room, Nisa heard a woman cry out, loud sobs of worry and loss. The Inn keeper was at her side a moment later, tears in his eyes. "My..... my daughter." he tried to explain before dragging Nisa to her feet and back across the room. The inn keepers wife sobbed as she rocked her daughter in her arms. The young woman had not been able to fight them off. her dress was torn to shreds. there were large pieces of flesh missing from her legs. One shoulder was dislocated, and her both her hands were missing. She had bites all over her body and in one place, Nisa could see a rib. But still the inn keepers daughter gasped for breath. "Help her!" cried the mother. Nisa felt confident. She had been able to heal all the others with no problems. Nisa dropped to her knees beside the woman and placed her hands over the woman's broken body and asked to heal her..... but nothing happened. She closed her eyes tighter and asked again, but there was not response. Nisa didn't understand why. She still felt the presents of her God but he gave to reply. She asked a third time and this time an answer came. In her mind she heard a familiar whisper, "You are not meant to heal her. Her fate has been decided and you are not meant to save her Nisa."

Nisa's eyes popped open and tears began to stream down her face as she looked at the young woman and her parents, so desperate for everything to be ok. "I......I......I'm sorry, I can't heal her."

The Inn keeper was on his feet over Nisa in a heart beat. "What do you mean you can't heal her?!" he yelled. "She's still alive and you healed all the others."

Nisa looked up at the man with fear that he might strike her but suddenly he took a deep breath and repeated his question. Nisa couldn't bring herself to explain that the Gods had other plans for her. She didn't have to though for the Sun cleric stood on wobbly legs next to the innkeeper and said, "She is a chosen of Lunium. He is known to be fare and just.... and when things are denied, there is a bigger reason. Let me heal her." He said as he dropped down to the floor. Gently he took her in his arms and held her close, lovingly, as he said his prayers softly, gently stoking her matted hair as he did. the young woman began to glow brighter and brighter. When her light finally faded, the woman was restored. She looked up at the cleric then threw her arms about his neck. He held her close for a moment before she pushed away only to press her lips to his. The inn keeper seemed confused by the act, till the young couple began to whisper how afraid they were for each other and how deeply they loved the other. After a little while, the cleric looked past his love to her father. "May I marry your daughter?" The question shocked the inn keeper speechless. His wife let out a soft cry of joy, and answered for him, "If you will love her and treat her well, yes." The young couple let laughed with happiness and held each other tight.


Nisa smiled and began to stand, but found that she was now tired and her legs didn't want to cooperate. As she began to wobble, a pair of strong hands slipped around her waist. Nisa looked back to see Sir Corbin. How long had he been standing there?
 
Corbin was stunned by the power of the Sun-clerics prayer, and it took him moments to register that the threat was over.

Blinking, he laid the head of the axe on the floor and leaned on the haft, regaining his breath. "Well done, that man." he said quietly.

He winced at the sounds of pain coming from around the room, for this was one battle he could not help with. He had some rudimentary skill in binding wounds, but these women - and yes, he noted grimly, all of the serious wounds were on women - needed more.

He was reassured and yet surprised to see Nisa offer her help. He had picked up that she was afraid of making her power public knowledge but it was clear that her desire to help had allowed her to overcome her fear.

He watched, gratified and relieved as she moved around the room, applying her healing powers wherever she was dragged. He was about to step in, afraid that she would be taxed beyond endurance, when it became clear that whatever usually happened, this day her god was sending her as much power as she needed...

...until the innkeepers young daughter was brought to her. He could see the stress in her body as she tried and failed to heal the young lady, and could see the Innkeeper's fear for his daughter's life turning to anger.

"What do you mean you can't heal her?! She's still alive and you healed all the others." the man bellowed, raising his hand - and then Corbin was there, standing behind Nisa, his eyes smouldering. He didn't raise the axe - but he didn't need to - the threat in his eyes from this gore-spattered, towering warrior was enough to make the Innkeeper reconsider.

He watched the tender love-scene play out before him, seeing that the gods themselves had somehow taken this opportunity to bring the two young lovers closer together with the approval of their family.

And where is my miracle? he asked himself, churlishly, immediately regretting the selfish thought. Instead he reached out with strong hands to steady Nisa as she stood, the exertions of the night clearly catching up with her.

"My lady..." he murmured in her ear. "What you have done here is nothing short of miraculous."

Speaking louder, he inclined his head to look at the priest of the sun.

"And you sir - you have saved us all. If there is ought I can do for you, you need but name it."
 
The cleric shook his head. "I should have been down here sooner. So many would have been saved such a night mare....." he said but was quickly quieted by the lovely young woman in his arms. His regrets melted away and he smiled up at Sir Corbin. "Take care of her. That is what you can do for me. I have not seen such a powerful cleric of Lunium before. They are few are far between and greatly miss understood by those who fear their rejection."

Nisa shook her head, "I'm sorry Sir Cleric but I am not a cleric myself.... he has only smiled on me enough to perform simple healing."

The cleric laughed. "What you did was far from simple healing. Besides, you wear his mark." Nisa looked shocked, then the cleric stood, his young love held close to his side. With a gentle hand he swept Nisa's long hair over her shoulder and away from her neck. "Here. I've only seen it twice before. The blue and silver crescent moon."

Not being able to see it herself she turned to Sir Corbin with a look of confusion as he looked down at the marks upon her skin that reached from just below her ear, down her neck and beneath her blouse.

Again, Nisa felt a wave of vertigo but this one much stronger than the last that had left her legs wobbly. She reached for Sir Corbin's shoulder as stars filled her vision.

The Inn keeper shook his head. "Take her up stairs. You may have the honeymoon suite. It's on the house, just take care of her."
 
Hardly daring to speak, eyes filled with wonder, Corbin simply scooped Nisa up into his arms.

"Some small additional favours, innkeeperm if you would be so kind..." he murmured, looking down at the almost helpless woman in his arms. The woman he loved, yet dared not love.

"Have somebody bring my armour and sword, that lay beside the woodpile. And the packs from our horses." He looked down upon himself. "And perhaps water to wash in - if it is not too much trouble?""

He turned to the others in the inn.

"You fought bravely and well, but do not forget the debt you owe the innkeeper. It was he who had the foresight to fortify this place. The least you can do is help him lay the floorboards down and restore some order to his home and business..."

With that, he slowly carried his lady up the stairs, heading for the grand room the innkeeper had promised them.
 
As Sir Corbin scooped her up into his arms, Nisa wrapped hers weakly about his neck and let her head rest on his shoulder. He was sticky with sweat and dirty with gore but she didn't care. For a moment, as he carried her up the stairs and to the end of the hall, Nisa let herself enjoy his closeness. His strong arms holding her gently. Despite knowing that she was completely defenseless for the rest of the evening, she knew she would be safe.

For a moment Nisa opened her eyes but closed them quickly. The room spun worse when she looked around so she lied her head back down and held on a little tighter. Nisa heard the door open and close and felt Sir Corbin take a quiet a few steps before she felt him gently ease her down onto a soft mattress. As his arm slowly slid out from behind her, Nisa opened her eye and met his. He was so close. His lips so close. She could still feel their kiss when he found her in the fog. Would he kiss her again? She reached up her shaking hand to touch the rough stubble on his face when there was a knock at the door.

Sir Corbin stood quickly, answering it. Nisa heard the knights armor being set on the floor and the rustle of a woman's skirts. heavy footfalls in the hall told her whom ever brought up the armor had left. Through half opened eyes she saw the young woman from the garden. Her long blonde curls fell about her shoulders. Her blue eyes glanced towards Nisa but seemed to think she was asleep. "I brought you water Sir.... and my gratitude for saving us from those monsters." Her voice became softer as she took a step towards Sir Corbin. "I would like to show you how very grateful I am." She reached up and with a quick tug, the tie of the young woman's blouse came undone and the white fabric fell from her shoulders, her large firm breasts only inches away from his body. "You may share my bed and I will give you a night you'll never forget. I am very good at sucking rod and my pussy is as tight and as wet as you'll ever have."
 
Last edited:
Surprised and shocked, Corbin turned away from the girl. He saw Nisa's eyes flicker shut, and knew that she was feigning sleep, but had heard every word.

It could be as easy as this... thought Corbin. All I need to do is say yes, and Nisa will never look at me again. One night in this Harlot's bed and every feeling Nisa and I have ever had for each other would be swept away. And I am sure it would indeed by a night ful of the pleasures of the flesh...

His loins stirred, swelling rapidly, but whilst his rational mind and his lust were agreed on one course of action, his heart had already committed him to another. Even before he had finished turning, a look of anger crossed his face and he swung back upon the young lady. A strong arm lashed out and seized her by the neck, pinning her against the wall, not chocking her but with enough force to make it clear he could snap her neck with but a twist of his arm.

"You dare!" he snarled. "The woman I love lies shattered and exhausted, from the healing she has done this night, and you think it good time to flaunt your whorish body at me!"

Shaking, he regained control of his anger, and released the shocked young woman. His eyes lost some of their fire and he spoke more softly, yet still firmly.

"My apologies. I am still shaken from battle. Thank you for bringing my arms and harness, and the water, but that is all I require from you this night."

A slight hint of the earlier fire flared in his eyes.

"Now cover yourself up, and leave us in peace."
 
The young woman grabbed the front of her blouse and turned in a huff, slamming the door behind her. As she did, the stack of armor by the door slipped falling into a wider hep.

Nisa's eyes opened slightly and she turned her head away, looking at the rest of the bed. He had sent the woman away. She was young and beautify and very willing. The knight had chosen to remain there with her instead of sharing the pleasure fulled bed of the inn keepers daughter. Slowly, Nisa reached out her arm towards the far side of the bed and found she barely reached half way. After a few long blinks, Nisa turned her head back towards the knight who was now washing the sweat and gore from his bare upper body.

"There is enough...." Nisa felt a tickle in her throat and she gave a little cough before starting again, "There is enough room on this bed for us both Sir Corbin." He looked like he was about to object as Nisa raised her shaking hand, "You got no sleep at all last night and the common room will provide no rest tonight. It is only a few days till the tournament and the road is still long ahead of us. You may lay your sword on the covers between us so that temptations in the night are restrained " Nisa gave a shiver then struggled to sit up. "I would have water, if there is still some in the pitcher."
 
Last edited:
Corbin turned back to Nisa and smiled softly.

"I have just turned down one bed for the night... i would be a fool indeed to turn down a this one..."

He poured a little water into a pottery cup and handed it to Nisa. "What you did down there was nothing short of miraculous." he said quietly, repeating his words from downstairs. "I can take lives, but you can save them..."

He reached out and with a gentle finger traced the shape of the crescent marking along her neck and shoulder. "This is new... does it truly mean that you have gained favour in Lunian's eyes? That you now serve him as a cleric? He is not a god I know much about, save that many distrust him and his followers..."

He looked down at the lady miller, head on one side. It was clear he made no accusation, his eyes held nothing but curiosity. And a twinkle, perhaps, of desire, of love...
 
Nisa gave a shrug, "I feel him close now..... and constant. Like he's with me unlike before when he might only glance my way." She took a sip of the water. It was cool and she could feel it slip down her throat. After handing the cup back to Sir Corbin, she added. "This is a blessing indeed but some will see it as a curse. There are those who will try and harm me out of fear. I...." she looked up at the knight and found she was at a loss for words. He was so tall and looked down at her with such affection. Nisa's heart told her to pull him down to the bed and kiss him like they both so desperately wanted. Her head won out though and she cleared her throat and said softly. "The hour is late and we can talk of such things on the road tomorrow. Please Sir Corbin. You may have the far side of the bed. It is soft and welcoming and you need a good night sleep."

As the knight placed his bastard sword down the middle of the bed, Nisa blew out the candle, giving them both a little privacy in the dark room. through the wood shutters, a still full moon cast a little light. Enough light for Nisa to find the water basin and wash up. She could hear Sir Corbin slipping out of his boots and them hitting the floor. She could see his silhouette as he stripped out of his padded hose and crawled under the soft covers. Nisa finished washing then walked on wobbly legs back to the bed, holding onto the wall as she went.

Sir Corbin laid on his back, looking up at the ceiling. With a soft sigh Nisa said, "Sir, could you roll over so that you won't see me undress?"
 
Last edited:
"Of course, my lady..." murmured Corbin.

The softness of the bed and the many exertions of the day had finally caught up with him and he was already half asleep when Nisa made her request. He rolled over onto his side, languidly.

Soothed by the rustle of clothing and the pale light of the moon, the weary knight was asleep even before Nisa slid into the other side of the bed.
 
Nisa slipped from her cloths and under the covers. They were so soft and she was so drained that she was asleep before her head hit the pillow.

########################################

Nisa walked down a long hallway. The stones beneath her feet felt solid but when she looked ahead, she saw only open air in her peripheral vision. A starry night sky surrounded her. Each candle sconce along the wall was lit by a tiny star. Though she knew she was safe now she still felt pain in her body. She felt a burning along her ribs and along her neck just above her collar bone. There was a stinging from her temple. As she walked, unable to stop, she looked down at her hands. Blood and gore was all over then but some how she knew that it was that of her enemy. Her body was wrapped in a long blue robe held in place with only a thin cord belt.

As Nisa walked, pulled towards a destination she could not see yet, she felt she wasn't alone. Next to her on her right was a man. Tall and slender with broad shoulders and long sliver hair. He looked down at her and smiled. "Though your path is still long, we have arrived." He indicated to the end of the hall where a large wood door appeared.

################################

Sir Corbin sat in a long rectangular stone pool set into the floor of a small room. The knight would see the nights sky all around him and in the black waters surface he could see clusters of stars. He could feel a stone ledge which he sat on and his feet on the tile pool bottom though he couldn't see so deep. He also couldn't see the steps that lead to the pools bottom or the holes were the warm water ran in from the stoves in the next room but he knew they were there. He knew this room for it was his fathers private bathing room. Sir Corbin was home but there was a different feel to it. He no longer felt like a child under the protective roof of his father's house but ownership. This was his home where he was the protector.

Looking down, Sir Corbin could feel a deep gash on his leg and his shoulder ached. Cuts and bruises littered his body and sweat and gore covered him as well. The water at least washed that much away.

There was a knock at the door at the foot of the pool and after a moment it opened.

Nisa and the silver haired servant stepped in, the door quickly closed behind them. "Lord Corbin. Cleric Nisa is hear to heal your wounds." he reached over and undid the cord that held Nisa's robe about her waist. "The battle was well fought but I'm afraid is far from over." Her robe fell open and the cool air from the room was welcoming on Nisa's tender skin. "You're enemy is strong and she has fear in her favor. She will try to divide you for she knows you are not near as strong when apart." He looked at Sir Corbin. "You are weaker when you fight each other. When other tempt you with power.... amongst other things." His hands went to Nisa's shoulders and slipped her robe from her body, the fabric pooling at her feet then disappearing all together.

Taking Nisa's hand in his, the servant lead her the few feet to the edge of the pool and walked along the pools edge as she descended the stairs into the warm, soothing water. "Your enemy will continue to work to keep you apart and weak. Trust in what you do know to be true. Know that even if you can't see what is around the bend, trust that it is for the best and push on." As Nisa's feet found the bottom, the servant let her go and smiled. "Well I shall now take my leave so that you may find healing..... take it as a gift to both of you." then he was gone.

Nisa slowly waded through the water that reached just above her hips, her eyes never leaving his. Memories of a hard fought battle flashed through both their minds. Monsters of all descriptions as well as people with hate and jealousy in their eyes attacked from all sides. they both had fought alone and been nearly overwhelmed. Somehow they found one another and managed to fight then back but they knew this was only a small break. That when the morning came, and they left Lord Corbin's keep, the battle would continue.

Slowly, Nisa made her way across the pool then dropped down below the water, washing away the blood and gore from her body. When she resurfaced, she was kneeling on the tile floor at Lord Corbin's feet. "May I heal you my Lord?" she asked softly.
 
Back
Top