The Tavern Down at Old Caernarvon (closed for heartofcourage)

“She was the best cook in all of Wales.” Elise said with a proud smile as she remembered her mother-in-law with a fond look in her eyes. “You would have loved her, Durban. She was a little spitfire.”

How had this large man enchanted her mother so in such a short amount of time, Marri asked herself as she quickly finished her meal and set about cleaning her dishes so she could get to market in time to make the evening meal. Once that was finished, she grabbed her wicker basket and pulled on her cloak, the wind a little too chilled that afternoon.

“I’ll be back soon.” She announced to those still seated, kissing everyone’s cheek save Durban’s. She simply stared at him a moment and blushed once again before she met a hasty retreat out the door.

“I think my daughter might have eyes for you, Durban.” Elise joked, laughing softly at the way that her daughter couldn’t seem to even look at the mysterious man.
 
"I think I'll go with 'er, if y'don' mind," Durban smiled to Elise, excusing himself politely before following after Marri. He easily caught up to her and once he was sure she saw him, he gave her a small and handsome smile and offered his arm to her like a proper gentleman, whilst taking her basket to carry it for her. "Y'ran out awful fast," he commented. "Somethin' th'matter?"
 
“Nothing is the matter.” Marri said, almost a bit too curtly as he took the basket from her hand and offered her his arm to hold like a true gentleman. “I’m just a bit cranky my sleep was cut short.”

That wasn’t true, she told herself. She was unsure how to think around Durban. He made her head spin with one of those warm glances. He made her belly flutter uncomfortably with one of those warm kisses. She barely knew him, she thought to herself, and he was making his way into her very thoughts.

“I think my mother seems to have taken a liking to you.” She said softly, trying to make conversation.
 
"She's a lovely lady," Durban nodded with a smile. "I've taken a liking t'her m'self, reminds me a bit o' my own Ma. T'be honest, I like all yer family..." Then he added quite boldly, "'Specially yerself. Yer quite a beauty." No man had ever been so forward with her. Few respectable men anywhere were so forward.
 
Marri pulled them both to a stop, looking up into his dark gaze with an expression of surprise. No one had ever told her that she was beautiful before and the comment had her blushing darkly. She was sure that he saw the way her cheeks pinkened.

“You shouldn’t say such things to a woman, Durban. Especially in public.” She said softly, wishing to hear the words again so desperately. "Things must be very different from where you come from in Scotland."
 
"Not really," Durban shrugged, then turned to face her fully. "Yer th'first lass I e'er met who doesn' like t'be called beautiful... e'en though y'are. An' not jus' on th'outside, y'proved tha' last night." The Scotsman smiled kindly to her, and she could very clearly make out the look of attraction in his eyes, but also the fact that he didn't like to run circles around what he wanted to say.
 
“I would have done it for anyone. You just happened to be the one that walked in last night.” She said, trying to make it seem like what she’d done wasn’t a big deal. “And if we keep standing here in the middle of the street much longer, we’ll be late.”

Marri tugged at his arm to set them walking again, stealing glances from time to time at Durban as they went. He thought she was beautiful. That thought kept weighing on her mind as they entered the market and she started to look through all of the produce that was there. She never spared a glance for the material things, dresses and pretty combs, and jewelry beyond her means. This was about survival, something she had learned about a long time ago.
 
Durban didn't give up, though, remaining at her side. "Why're ya so nervous 'round me?" He asked openly. He'd noticed how she seemed to shy away. "I'm not 'ere t'cause ya trouble, y'know."

But just as he finished his sentence, Marri felt the slightest tug at the pocket of her apron when a man bumped into her, and suddenly Durban pulled away from her. The man in question was running away from them, but Durban was far too quick. The great Scotsman tackled the man, tearing Marri's coinpurse from the thief's hands. The man pulled a knife from his belt to defend, but Durban was still too fast, suddenly unsheathing his claymore, poising the point at the man's throat.

"Don' e'en try it, lad. Jus' walk away," Durban snarled like a lion. "Drop th' knife an' go." Slowly but surely, the man set the knife down and raised his hands in surrender. With one hand holding the claymore, Durban used the other to haul the man to his feet, and the thief ran for dear life. Everyone was staring at Durban now and the market had quieted. He sheathed his blade and picked up the knife before returning to Marri, depositing her coinpurse in her hands.
 
Marri was about to answer when suddenly she felt someone tugging at her apron. It was a few moments later when she realized that there was a thief making off with her money for the day. She was about to cry out when Durban was off after him, tackling the man in bone jarring fashion and wrestling her coin purse from him. She watched as he threatened the man with his great claymore, the man scuttling away after Durban had released him.

When the purse was placed back into her hands, she looked up at the hulking man with a look of shock. He had actually defended her and gotten back what had been stolen. How many times had this happened to her in the market, leaving her embarrassed and sulking at home as she struggled to tell her family where their money had gone.

“Thank you, Durban.” She said in a quiet voice, still looking up at him with a mixture of shock and wonder. “No one’s ever done that for me before.”
 
Durban's chest was heaving from the sudden adrenaline rush of rage that'd overtaken him, but he was quickly calming as he faced her and a look of serenity settled over his features. "No lovely lass- no, no person- deserves t'be robbed by some greedy weasel li' that." With that, he kissed her cheek lightly, showing her his affection and sincerity. She'd certainly captured his heart very quickly with her whole being rather than just looks. But if he were honest, her mind or body alone could've captured him.
 
Marri was surprised when he leaned down and kissed her cheek, that same blush coming back and coating her cheeks yet again. She gave him a shy smile, lowering her gaze towards the coin purse that was resting in her palm. Durban was certainly charming, but she had always learned to guard her heart against men like him. Still, there was something that made her like him.

“Come on, Ban. We still have some shopping to do.” She said softly, picking up her wicker basket so that she could finish the shopping that she’d come to do.

She picked out a few vegetables, settling on a cabbage stew for the evening. When her basket was filled, she turned to look at Durban and decided that maybe they didn’t need to go back to the tavern just yet. “Come on.” She said, taking his hand in hers, leading him towards the little spot by the river that she liked to sit and think.

It was beautiful there, with a view of a valley where little sheep grazed on the lush green grass. The river bubbled merrily and she was taking her favorite seat on the grass, her basket sat beside her as she looked up at the hulking man. She patted the ground next to her and grinned, encouraging him to sit beside her.
 
Durban gladly settled beside her as they reached the riverbank, and he stared out at the flowing clear water with interest. It wasn't long before he got an idea, and he rose again, taking off his dark kilt and boots and belts until he was clad only in a tunic and trousers. When he pulled off the thick tunic, Marri's eyes were overwhelmed by the vast, rippling muscles of his strong torso, but even more so by the huge number of awful scars and beautiful tattoos of celtic origin. He waded into the river to the point it came up to his waist, and he sank in comfortably, letting his warm body cool down in the cold depths.
 
Marri found her eyes drawn to his muscled, naked chest. It was the first time she’d ever seen a man naked to the waist and Marri felt something stirring deep in her belly. He had seen a life of hardship, but he was so incredibly handsome, she thought as he waded out into the water and sank in. The water would be cold this time of year, but he didn’t seem to let that bother him in the least.

“You are a strange man, Durban.” Marri said with a smile on her lips.
 
"Well, y'don' stay normal bein' a nomad," he commented, running his fingers back through his thick and long hair as he rose again. He noticed her eyes trailing over his scars, and he smiled lightly, almost with scorn for himself, "I must look awful t'ya, all these bloody scars." He sighed and came up out of the water, settling near her on the bank once more.
 
Marri watched as she came back to rest beside her, his entire body coated with water. She glanced down over his scars as he talked about how awful his scars must look to her.

“I don’t think you look awful.” She said softly, her eyes meeting his. “In fact, I find you quite handsome.” She smiled then, her cheeks heating up yet again.

What was it about this man that reduced her to a love struck little girl, she asked herself as she reached out to brush aside a lock of wet hair that clung to his cheek.
 
Durban met her eyes as she reached out and her fingers skimmed his cheek. He just couldn't help himself, and he rose to one knee to lean over. In a whisper as his hands came to her cheeks, he spoke, "Forgive me..." And then, he pressed his lips to her own in a lovely, warm kiss that made him lose his breath. Even if this earned him a slap to the face, he just had to do it.
 
Marri gasped as Durban was suddenly on his knees, leaning over her as he cupped her cheeks in his and asked for forgiveness. He was then kissing her, one that was lovely and warm and passionate. Marri felt her belly clench strangely, and her hands found their way to his broad shoulders, clinging to him in the strangeness that surrounded her.

Suddenly she was pulling herself away, looking at him with a confused and startled look upon her face. “Why did you do that?” She asked him, panting with the unfamiliar emotions that were spreading through her body.
 
Durban had lost his breath in kissing her, and his dark eyes met her own, just as confused at himself and what he was feeling. "I... I'm sorry, I..." But he caught himself, and shook his head. "No... I'm not sorry. I... I don' know why, but I couldn' 'elp it." He looked down, not sure of what he'd see in her eyes if he kept looking into them. "I'll... leave ya, if y'want."
 
“No!” She cried out, reaching out to take his hand between hers. “I don’t want you to leave…”

She had said her words a little too quickly, perhaps a little too eagerly, but she didn’t want him to leave. She was finding that she enjoyed his company, his kiss was amazing…but it wasn’t what she expected.

“No one’s ever…kissed me…before.” She said in a halting tone, her hands squeezing his gently as she tried to explain to him what she was feeling.
 
Durban's eyes rose to meet hers again and again, he couldn't help what came over him when he pulled her in for another kiss, letting this one last longer for her. His huge arms wrapped around her, but he didn't trap her. Rather, he cradled her close and she had every freedom to move away or do as she liked.
 
Marri whimpered as he pulled her in for another kiss, their lips pressing together in a gentle passion as his strong arms wrapped around her slender waist. She had never had a man hold her so intimately before and she found that she liked the feel of being pressed against his muscular chest. He was kind to her, loving, and again Marri felt that strange pull in her belly.

When the kiss broke, she found herself staring into his dark gaze, nibbling her lower lip as she panted for air. She didn’t want him to go…

“Stay here with my family, Ban. I don’t think they could bare to see you go.” She said softly, not mentioning herself and the growing attraction between them.
 
Durban met her eyes at her plea, and she could see, even though he couldn't speak, that there was something in his eyes that told her he just couldn't stay as long as she might like. Finally, he found words to tell her, "I... I can' stay more'n two weeks, love... m'family's expectin' me in Inverness..." But she could see how he wanted so badly to heed her wish.
 
“Oh…” Marri said with a hint of disappointment in her eyes. “Of course. Your family comes first.” She said softly, slowly pulling herself away from his embrace.

She couldn’t give her heart to a man that would soon be leaving for a land so far away. She didn’t know if she could take the separation. Don’t let yourself be hurt, Marri. She started to gather her things, glancing at Durban for a moment as if she wanted to say something, but she stopped herself short.

“We should get home. My family will be wondering where we got off to.” She said softly, her eyes sad as she stood and waited for him to get dressed once more.
 
"No..." Durban whispered, and he pulled her back in tight once more with another kiss, and when their lips parted not even an inch, he spoke, "I won' leave if it'll 'urt you." He didn't know what'd suddenly come over him. He'd felt a primal lust for her from the moment he saw her beautiful form, but over that was a heartfelt need to make her happy. What in God's name was wrong with him? What was she doing to him?
 
Marri let out a cry as she was pulled back into his embrace, tightly held against his chest as he stole another kiss from her lips. She moaned for him, her hands settling back against his shoulders as he parted that loving moment and told her that he wouldn’t leave. She shook her head to protest, the words gone as he stole yet another kiss from her lips.

Her lips were bruised, aching as he gave her something so incredibly beautiful. No one had ever made her feel like this, especially not someone she had only just met. Durban was a mystery but one that she truly intended to figure out.

When the kiss finally broke, she was panting, her head truly spinning like she had taken too much ale. She looked into his dark gaze and gave him a lovely little smile.

“I can’t take you away from your family, Durban. Nor could I demand that you stay here. It would be wrong of me. Perhaps…perhaps we could come to some agreement.” She said softly.
 
Back
Top