I have had a really bad habit of not finishing stories

S

Secretlit777

Could some of yall read through each of my series and see which one you like best? That's the one I'll finish first!

I don't have time now to read yours now but I sympathize. I've more than a few series that need closure, and a few more stories that are 50%-80% 'complete'. It doesn't help that recent family crises left me without the push to write creative word one for a few months. Gotta whip myself back into shape...

BTW you'd probably get more responses if you posted links to your stories.

If you're going to be an author, you really should make a choice of what to work on and do it on your own.

I understand that some authors need that direct encouragement to keep going; it's why many of us obsess over the "View" page of our author profile. But, if you're only going to write what others want to read, you aren't going to do yourself any favors.

Ultimately, the only person you should be writing for is yourself, not your readers. If they like it, they'll read it, and will keep on favoriting you and your stories. If they don't like it, they won't read it and you'll lose some fans. But better to have fans that follow your work rather than having work that follows your fans.

[/me channeling The Sphinx from Mystery Men]

Just my opinion. ;)

Follow Stephen King's model, when you get stuck, kill someone!
I know, I know, but who? I have so many martyr candidates in THE BOOK OF RUTH, and in BLACK & WHITE the key player has already been kidnapped so there's nobody left to kill. And slaughtering minor or major characters won't help me finish the tales where I know what will happen, I'm just too bored to hit the keyboard. Better to kill the author, maybe.

Kill the narrator and have the narrator's murderer take over the narration. I don't think I've ever seen that done before. :D

The way to choose who to kill is to decide who your readers like the most, he or she is the one to kill.

My latest effort kills around a dozen souls. The contestants are not the most popular, theyre the most toxic. Greg, for example, works at a retard agency where he seduces the female clients and knocks some of them up. The clients are adult and consent to Greg's attention, but their caretakers are outraged.

Mel's young wife likes darkies and wants a baby, but Mel will get rid of her before he accepts any black kids. So she agrees to a white sperm donor. Her bull, Tyrone, is apoplectic, makes plenty of trouble, and hasta be put down.

Muriel likes young guys at the college she teaches for, but one young guy takes over, intimidates her other lovers, and goes home to Jesus.

My latest effort kills around a dozen souls. The contestants are not the most popular, theyre the most toxic. Greg, for example, works at a retard agency where he seduces the female clients and knocks some of them up. The clients are adult and consent to Greg's attention, but their caretakers are outraged.

Mel's young wife likes darkies and wants a baby, but Mel will get rid of her before he accepts any black kids. So she agrees to a white sperm donor. Her bull, Tyrone, is apoplectic, makes plenty of trouble, and hasta be put down.

Muriel likes young guys at the college she teaches for, but one young guy takes over, intimidates her other lovers, and goes home to Jesus.

I'm working on one where two characters I created for my Circle series, run afoul of the mob.

Abigail is a witch who controls flame, her lover Nicole is an ex CTU agent turned hired gun. Abigail owns a club, where she sells sex, but treats the girls well and pays them well and gives them a safe environment.

The mob is ito sex trafficking and abducts one of her girls, Nicole goes and gets her and some people die including one of for crime bosses sons. They decide to invade the club to take out Abigail a lot of people die.

Stories

It helps when you list the categories your stories are published under.

Kill the narrator and have the narrator's murderer take over the narration. I don't think I've ever seen that done before. :D
"Anything worth doing is worth over-doing." In this case, a sequence / daisychaim of narrator murders.

Back to the OP: if you have several long-running series, none of which has come to a conclusion, I recommend you don't bother finishing with any of them. In my experience, the longer a story series runs, the fewer views, votes, and comments each chapter gets. People might jump into a "Chapter 2" without having read Chapter 1, but they are less and less likely to start at higher number chapters. The scores may rise (because only the people who like it are left to read it), but the warm fuzzies from feedback will all but dry up.

Better to start something totally new, and either launch the chapters in rapid succession, or make them single, stand-alone stories. Good luck!

I wouldn't suggest starting a new series, though. There should justifiable be few readers of that when they can see a track record of not completing them. As penance, I think you should finish off all the existing series before expecting readers to read anything else by you here.

Have a woman cheat on her husband. Jeebus hurls an asteroid to punish the woman, unwittingly destroying the entire town. Two paragraphs, tops, and you're done. Post it in Loving Wives. The anonymice there will eat it up. End of series. High 5*'s all around.

I wouldn't suggest starting a new series, though. There should justifiable be few readers of that when they can see a track record of not completing them. As penance, I think you should finish off all the existing series before expecting readers to read anything else by you here.

Makes sense, readers aren't stupid and if they scroll through a list and see a lot of unfinished stuff they will most likely say why bother.

Have a woman cheat on her husband. Jeebus hurls an asteroid to punish the woman, unwittingly destroying the entire town. Two paragraphs, tops, and you're done. Post it in Loving Wives. The anonymice there will eat it up. End of series. High 5*'s all around.
You make it sound too easy.

There's the reconciliation crowd too. They'll ask why the fuck couldn't he just forgive her? WHY? Why does the protagonist have to be such an asshole?

Then they'll, ever so quietly, press that 1*.

I essentially did that with the LW one-shot Prickly Pairs where I had the cheaters swept away in a flash flood. Let a deity handle the dirty work.

You make it sound too easy.

There's the reconciliation crowd too. They'll ask why the fuck couldn't he just forgive her? WHY? Why does the protagonist have to be such an asshole?

Then they'll, ever so quietly, press that 1*.

Hmmm, OK, I guess we're not done...

The asteroid triggers the End Times. All the anonymice reconciliators spew into space during the Rupture, and drop into Heaven, the next town over. Pillars of salt, trumpets, yada yada, fade to black. Fuck the votes. We just wanna be done and move on to another series we won't finish.

Back