The Official Authors' Hangout Valentine's Day 2017 Contest Support Thread

Congratulations on completing such a long entry.

It will be interesting to see what the readers' response is to such a novella.

Congratulations on completing such a long entry.

It will be interesting to see what the readers' response is to such a novella.

I was conflicted posting it as one entry but I haven't posted a completed story in a long while. I've been posting chapter stories.

One of the last completed stories I posted was Mother Sleeps with son on Christmas and that received nearly 500,000 hits.

I'm ancient. In my time a novella was up to 100,000 words; a novel was more than that.

Never that way in U.S. publishing to my knowledge. 72,000 words (having something to do with the folios in book binding) was/is considered the beginning wordage of a novel in U.S. print.

Ah, well. Little late, but I got it in today. I was doing great, headed for a submission date on Monday, until real life intervened...

26,000 words and some change. Looking forward to reading everyone's work.

It's just past midnight Pacific Time and the stories are posting, although we won't see the contest page up for a little while yet.

Good luck all.

****!

I've just spotted two instances of the wrong character name in one of my stories.

It's too late now. I'll correct AFTER the contest.

I've added a temporary comment to my entry "You who know... what love is".

In the last few paragraphs for two mentions of Chloe they should read Sara.

Oops!

I've added a temporary comment to my entry "You who know... what love is".

In the last few paragraphs for two mentions of Chloe they should read Sara.

Oops!

I'm flattered :D

(I'll stop sending you those photos of me in lingerie now)

Last edited:
You shouldn't be. Or perhaps you should. Sara is the villain of the story and I didn't think her original name of Chloe fitted a villain. :D

Ohhhhh, I make a wonderful villain. Seductive. Guns. Martial arts. Obscure medical knowledge. Probably links to a Chinese triad :D and I could easily kill someone with my cooking.

Last edited:
Ohhhhh, I make a wonderful villain. Seductive. Guns. Martial arts. Obscure medical knowledge. Probably links to a Chinese triad :D and I could easily kill someone with my cooking.

Perhaps I'll have to write a story about a Chloe villain whose cooking is fatal.

But the only Chloes I've known have been too good to kill anyone. Except the neighbour's cat named Chloe who loved eating mice she had killed.

Perhaps I'll have to write a story about a Chloe villain whose cooking is fatal.

But the only Chloes I've known have been too good to kill anyone. Except the neighbour's cat named Chloe who loved eating mice she had killed.

I'm watching Game of Thrones from the beginning for the second time, as Diana Rigg, (wow, she got old and didn't age very well) as Oleanna Tyrell, when she poisoned King Joffrey and blamed Tyrion Lannister played by Peter Dinklage (my favorite character, other than the dragons), the way to poison someone is by poisoning the wine, not the food.

"Wine, Your Grace?"

"No wine for me. Just bring me a Bud in an unopened bottle."

"A bud Your Grace? Shall I put the flower in a vase?"

"No I want a beer, you idiot."

"Beer? What's that? We have meed or grog, if you'd like Your Grace."

I'm watching Game of Thrones from the beginning for the second time]

I love Game of Thrones. The books as well as the series. Wonderfully Machiavellian. Now poisoning? Hmmmm, i'm not sure that poisoning would suit a Chloe. Violence is more my line. All that Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido. Maybe a poisoned knife? Go for it Og, I'd love to see myself as a villain. Kind of a Fu Manchu seductress with a knife, poison and evil intent. Just no black bikinis. Somebody already wrote that one about me. The Girl in the Black Bikini. Theres a sequel now. LOL

... Now poisoning? Hmmmm, i'm not sure that poisoning would suit a Chloe. Violence is more my line. All that Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido. Maybe a poisoned knife? Go for it Og, I'd love to see myself as a villain. Kind of a Fu Manchu seductress with a knife, poison and evil intent. Just no black bikinis. Somebody already wrote that one about me. The Girl in the Black Bikini. Theres a sequel now. LOL

The Girl with the Tong Tattoo perhaps?

I have a scar on the inside of my right wrist. According to someone I met in the East End of London in the 1960s it looks very like a Chinese gang marking. That might have been awkward if I'd met the wrong gang. :eek:

I love Game of Thrones. The books as well as the series. Wonderfully Machiavellian. Now poisoning? Hmmmm, i'm not sure that poisoning would suit a Chloe. Violence is more my line. All that Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido. Maybe a poisoned knife? Go for it Og, I'd love to see myself as a villain. Kind of a Fu Manchu seductress with a knife, poison and evil intent. Just no black bikinis. Somebody already wrote that one about me. The Girl in the Black Bikini. Theres a sequel now. LOL

I own the books too and as always, the books are better than the movie. Yet, now watching the series twice, I'm learning more of who is who along with the backstory.

There are few things I'll watch twice, Deadwood, Godfather I & II, and The Professional, the quintessential Italian hitman.

By the way...bikinis should only be white. They become translucent when wet (lol).

"Wow! Did you see that blonde woman in the white bikini?"

"Huh? Wha? What woman? What bikini? I was too busy staring at tits, nipples, a blonde, trimmed pussy, and an ass crack?"

"Duh, that was the blonde I was talking about."

"Oh. She was wearing a bikini? I didn't notice."

No. It hasn't started but my first two entries have been pre-approved to be posted on day one. I can't amend them because they are no longer pending in blue.

Ogg, I just noticed that you can edit stories that are pending from the new UI. I didn't actually edit mine, but it's in pending, and the link to the editor was clickable, and I perused my story. I didn't make any changes because I didn't want to remove it from the publishing queue.

Not that this helps you with your stories, but I found it interesting and wanted to pass it on to you and everyone else.

In other news, I went with Noncon category for this one. Mine should post tomorrow.

Good luck everyone!

Ogg, I just noticed that you can edit stories that are pending from the new UI. I didn't actually edit mine, but it's in pending, and the link to the editor was clickable, and I perused my story. I didn't make any changes because I didn't want to remove it from the publishing queue.

Not that this helps you with your stories, but I found it interesting and wanted to pass it on to you and everyone else.

I could have edited the story IF the pending marker had been in blue. It wasn't. It was grey which means it has been approved to be posted shortly.

Once the blue pending changes to grey, you can't edit. It would be a bad idea if you could because you could bypass Laurel's rules by changing your story.

Good to know - thanks

I could have edited the story IF the pending marker had been in blue. It wasn't. It was grey which means it has been approved to be posted shortly.

Once the blue pending changes to grey, you can't edit. It would be a bad idea if you could because you could bypass Laurel's rules by changing your story.

That's helpful. I had one that was grey that I edited because I didn't notice this, so it's back to blue.

I don't see a link on the main page for the Valentine's Day entries. Will one appear?

I have just submitted my third and longest entry.

Valentine's Day is only an aside in a Romance story. I hope it won't be down marked for that. The theme of the contest is:

Story must have a Valentine's Day theme: romance, romantic love, Cupid, Valentine mythology, etc.

Go on, just do it. Got mine finished over lunch today. Submitting tonite when I get home.

I think I will, if I can get it finished! I keep procrastinating!

Procrastinator Procrastinator
Why do it now, when I can do it later...

hehehe

Back