Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 08-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #1
SuperWriter
Experienced

How long have you all been writing?

And how long did it take you to feel like your writing style was perfected? And can you keep getting better or is how you write now basically stayed the same? Is it even possible to get better after a certain point or do just your ideas change?

For me, 3 years writing and only now do I feel I've mastered my own style and don't see a need to change anything

Old 08-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
oggbashan
Ancient writer

How long have I been writing?

First published work was over 6 decades ago in a school magazine - the first of many for school magazines.

Getting better at writing? Sometimes I still write crap. Sometimes I surprise myself. But I don't think I'll stop trying to get better until I'm dead. Perfection is an impossible aim.

Oggbashan's long list of stories
Jeanne D'Artois' few

electricblue66:
It's like [oggbashan] is writing for the third puffin over there by the sixth rock, when everyone else is an emperor penguin in the Antarctic, where there's tens of thousands of the bastards.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #3
Jada59
Literotica Guru

I began writing when I could first hold a pen. I think I perfected my style when I actually knew how to make letters. So... 55 years ago.

https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

If it's pics or vids that you're looking for, keep on looking!

Last edited by Jada59 : 08-06-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #4
SimonDoom
Literotica Guru

I wrote fiction to some degree from the age of 6 until the end of high school (a long time ago), and didn't start doing it again until I started writing and publishing stories on this site, in December 2016.

I have not perfected my writing style, and I expect I never will. I hope to keep improving.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #5
electricblue66
Literotica Guru

Been writing in a business environment for decades, started writing fiction here on Lit four years ago.

I settled into a recognisable fiction style maybe two years in, and now have more confidence to stretch and subvert myself. I'd never say I've "perfected" a style - in my mind, that would mean I've gone stale and predictable, shoot me now.

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

Old 08-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #6
NotWise
Snipe hunter

I've been writing for a long time, but that answer is probably irrelevant.

I started writing Lit-like material almost 10 years ago. I think I have a consistent voice, but I hope I'm not done tweaking my writing style. I still use "then" far too much.

My personal favorites are The Third Ring and Oscar's Place.
My most recent story is Love is Enough, a story about an aspiring playwright and two ghostly flappers.
Next up is a Summer Luvin' story tentatively named "Stinky and Fudd"

Old 08-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
KeithD
Literotica Guru

I've been writing professionally since 1970. Initially nonfiction and journalistic copy, though. I didn't really get into writing fiction until 1992. By 1996, after completing my sixth published novel, though, I pretty much stopped trying to readjust my style and voice to anything other than it was/is.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #8
SamScribble
Yeah, still just a guru

I began earning my living from my writing 56 years ago. After the first eight or nine years, I got a bit dispirited, did a catering course, and tried my hand at cheffing. But then, in my early 30s, the writing urge returned and it has remained with me until this day.

Perfection – for me at least – has been a moving target. The pieces I wrote in my 30s and 40s were often ‘clever’. That was what my publishers, editors, and producers were looking for. These days, my objective is simplicity. I’m not quite there yet – at least not consistently. But I like to think that I’m getting there.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #9
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWriter View Post
And how long did it take you to feel like your writing style was perfected? And can you keep getting better or is how you write now basically stayed the same? Is it even possible to get better after a certain point or do just your ideas change?

For me, 3 years writing and only now do I feel I've mastered my own style and don't see a need to change anything
I've been writing since I was a kid. I'm still learning new stuff.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #10
MelissaBaby
Literotica Guru

When I was young, I was always ahead of my class and I would usually finish assignments before all the other kids, and I'd get bored and act out. A teacher coaxed me into writing stories to keep me occupied. When I was twelve or so, I wrote a whole series of stories about a girl named Regina Greentree, who was a guide in the Maine woods. As I got older, I fell away from it, though, only to begin seriously writing about a year and a half ago.

As to whether or not I have "mastered my style", I'm not sure how a person would know if they done so or not. I try to write in what seems to me my natural story telling voice. I don't attempt to be clever or overly tricky. I just tell the story in a way that feels emotionally true. If I do that, I suppose I've mastered my style.

Chapter Twelve online now!

Old 08-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #11
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

I began writing about twenty years ago, although i had wanted to write far younger. My handwriting was terrible, my typing was fast but not very accurate, my spelling sucked so I gave up after a few tries. When computers came along and Works showed up for Windows, I now had the tools.

As for my voice, I started out writing like people talk and have stuck with it. It worked and I see no reason to change now.

As for learning new things. Every chance I get.

All Stories By TxRad

What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.
Not to mention, battered, bruised, contused,
and completely dazed and confused.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #12
KindofHere
Literotica Guru

Last edited by KindofHere : 08-08-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:46 PM   #13
TarnishedPenny
Literotica Guru

I had my first poem published away back in my undergrad days, long enough ago that one of the profs sometimes came to class directly from the duck blinds. His Lab would lie down at his feet and go to sleep, the prof would lean his shotgun in a convenient corner and we'd be off - no fuss, no complaints, no SWAT teams. (Yes, that long ago!) After that, like Keith, it was mainly nonfiction and some journalism. I actually restarted writing fiction less than a year ago.

I will consider my style perfected when my most devoted troll turns off the auto-bomb programme, exits Mom's basement and gets a job not involving driving around to the second window. 🔇

My latest: https://www.literotica.com/s/the-jenny-show

Old 08-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #14
Blind_Justice
Literotica Guru

My first proper, non-school-exercise short I wrote when I was 16, circa 1991. I've been on my first skiing trip and the majestic Bavarian winter landscape inspired me. Grabbing everything from napkins to graph paper, I laid down the first draft when everyone else was partying. I translated it to Braille for my then-girlfriend later. A simple heroes vs. ice dragon thing, but the reception was kind

I kept writing afterwards, but most of my creativity went into gamemastering for my roleplaying group. I published a few shorts on a German fiction repository. During that time I became a bit frustrated with my native tongue's inability to describe sex. In German, it feels, there are only three ways to describe sex. Very flowery and roundabout, clinical and emotionless and very "rough". Maybe reading most of my smut in English gave me a better vocabulary or English simply does have more options. *shrug*. I translated one of my racier Sci-Fi pieces and showed it to a Lit author I edited for at the time and got an emphatic "Come on, publish it already!"

That was 2012 and the then one-shot was "Ghost in the Machine 01".

Now, six years later, I'm no closer to a movie deal than I was in 2012.

In all seriousness though, I know I still have ways to go to improve. There are so many nuances a native speaker doesn't actively think about when writing and I need to triple-check. Without my editor, I'm severely handicapped.

I know my strengths (world- and character building), but I don't realy feel like I've found my style. My dialogue could be snappier and my sex scenes hotter. I'm working to improve and if the scores on my four most recent pieces are any indication, it's slowly paying off.

Maybe when I'm wise and distinguished like Ogg, I can earn money with my pipe dreams.

My Geek Pride Day submission:
-----------------------------------
The Rembrandt Legacy
Convicted engineer with special power gets recruited by alien rogues to pull off a difficult heist.

My stuff on Lit

Old 08-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #15
Emirus
Really Experienced

As far as writing for my job is concerned that was in my very first job 55 years ago and it wasn’t fiction. As far as fiction is concerned about four years ago, after starting reading Literotica, and then only for my own amusement. But in reality 5 months ago. When I began I was bad but now I’m a little better.

As for how good someone is, or thinks they are, it’s as well to remember that the perfect man is an idiot because only an idiot would believe they are perfect.

https://www.literotica.com/s/hela-ch-02-asgard

Old 08-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #16
TarnishedPenny
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emirus View Post
...it’s as well to remember that the perfect man is an idiot because only an idiot would believe they are perfect.
Most wise.

My latest: https://www.literotica.com/s/the-jenny-show

Old 08-08-2018, 07:30 AM   #17
Requiax
Experienced

Erotic fiction? Well I once wrote a story about a girl in my science class performing a striptease and I was probably 12 or 13 then...

As an adult I have spent a long time with fanfiction, half-done shorts and fragments of novels, both erotic and vanilla, but never as anything more than a dabbler’s hobby.

About two and a half years ago I randomly gave myself a kick up the arse and began putting more effort in, and I’ve been writing publishable stuff ever since.

Literotica Stories: Requiax
Amazon author page: A D Rowen
Twitter: @therequiax

Old 08-08-2018, 08:07 AM   #18
carsonshepherd
comeback kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindofHere View Post
]
I won't quote you but you should write a memoir. I'd read it.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:50 AM   #19
KindofHere
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonshepherd View Post
I won't quote you but you should write a memoir. I'd read it.
Never going to happen. I do not regret my past, and I won't forget it, but I won't put it down on paper.

It was nothing special. It just was.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:08 AM   #20
SolarRay
Really Experienced

I was fortunate that my mom detected a desire to tell stories early on and fostered that in me. Before I could write them down she used to prompt me to make them up and tell them on the spot. It wasn't until the mid-90s that I started having some short stories published. I maintained a blog. Then I got more into poetry and started publishing it. It's the main thing I write now and I'm currently working on a new poetry book. Erotic fiction is still a newish hobby, but I'm really enjoying it. I don't know about "mastering" anything. Developing a "voice" sure, but I think in certain ways all of my writing slowly evolves and will probably continue to do so.

Stories by SolarRay

Recently posted:
Straight Girl Problems (lesbian sex): Her BFFs are straight. There's a first time for everything. -- 2018 Nude Day winner
Pushing Buttons, Trending Turn-Ons (exhibitionist/voyeur): A kinky couple and a naked tweet.

"Oh! perpetually fertilized, virgin and nurse of all that is, chaste and lascivious, pure and revelling, ineffable, nocturnal, sweet, breather of fire, foam of the sea!" - Hymn to Astarte

Old 08-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #21
FEELINGLUCKYPUNK
Really Really Experienced

My family tree is filled with writers who mattered. Two Named Samuel Johnson mattered most, they were uncle and nephew. I took the TEX route with prose that's original and excellent; but like TEX the original suff aint excellent and the excellent stuff aint original.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #22
carsonshepherd
comeback kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindofHere View Post
I'm intrigued by the storytelling in the above post though.

I've been telling stories since I can remember. Telling them to myself as a way to understand things, to deal with feelings of being different. I always, always wanted to express myself and yet I couldn't share this with others; I knew I was different and I didn't want to be, so I put that into my stories. I dreaded judgement. I feared ridicule.

When I discovered Lit, I shared my stories with the world. I discovered that praise can be addictive and that it was a double edged sword. My stories were popular but they didn't belong to me anymore, and I became somewhat paranoid about my privacy and my identity, while exposing my deepest self in my stories. So I gave up not only writing for an audience, but writing altogether.

I started writing again after 7 years of nothing. I realize how much I need that self expression and I do it for myself alone now. My style is always evolving, I hope. I struggle to get closer to the words I really want to say. I've given up adverbs at last

Old 08-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #23
KindofHere
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonshepherd View Post
I'm intrigued by the storytelling in the above post though.

I've been telling stories since I can remember. Telling them to myself as a way to understand things, to deal with feelings of being different. I always, always wanted to express myself and yet I couldn't share this with others; I knew I was different and I didn't want to be, so I put that into my stories. I dreaded judgement. I feared ridicule.

When I discovered Lit, I shared my stories with the world. I discovered that praise can be addictive and that it was a double edged sword. My stories were popular but they didn't belong to me anymore, and I became somewhat paranoid about my privacy and my identity, while exposing my deepest self in my stories. So I gave up not only writing for an audience, but writing altogether.

I started writing again after 7 years of nothing. I realize how much I need that self expression and I do it for myself alone now. My style is always evolving, I hope. I struggle to get closer to the words I really want to say. I've given up adverbs at last
I write fiction. And on Lit, I write taboo fiction under this name. I write for fun. I have no interest in writing directly about myself, it's not my thing and it's not a tool for me to face my past, present, or future.

When I write I come up with an idea and whatever themes come out as I write, come out, I don't plan any, and I tend to stay as neutral in my opinions about my characters/story as possible so that the reader can decide what's going on and what they want my writing to mean all by themselves.

Anyway, writing has replaced certain elements of my life that I'm better without and that's good enough for me.

Last edited by KindofHere : 08-08-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #24
blozo
Experienced

Since May.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #25
SpermBankHoliday
Virgin

I've just started here, but writing has always been a strength. In school, I always crushed the essay test, and my papers always got good marks, but I've never written anything without a deadline.

After reading a lot on this site, I finally decided to start writing the kind of stuff I want to read.