Damn brain

Kojak01

DoberDaddy
Anybody else has this "problem"? :confused:

Me: Let's sit down and work on that 100k-120k word story of which I've already written 3/4 and just need to get to the grand finale.

My brain: Great idea.

Me: Ok. Where was I?

My brain: How about writing a completely different 10-15k word story instead?

Me: No. I want to finish the big one now.

My brain: Write that short story or I turn off your muse and imagination.

Me: *Opens new word document* :eek:

Me: Let's sit down and work on that 100k-120k word story of which I've already written 3/4 and just need to get to the grand finale.

My brain: Great idea.

Me: Ok. Where was I?

My brain: How about writing a completely different 10-15k word story instead?

Me: No. I want to finish the big one now.

Me: *Opens new word document* :eek:

LOL! Your brain must know mine very well, they sound damn near identical! Bastards!

"If thy brain offends thee, pluck it out." That's traditional, right? The voices in my head tell me what or not to do or write. I always listen to my voices. What else can I trust?

Last edited by a moderator:
People get so bogged down on “word count” it isn’t funny. When you stop thinking about numbers, words come a lot easier. Just put the story on hold until you are ready to finish it to your likening. I can tell when an author is rushing to finish a story. The ending seems rushed and anticlimactic. Sad, when the story had so much potential.🌹Kant👠👠👠

People get so bogged down on “word count” it isn’t funny. When you stop thinking about numbers, words come a lot easier.

You misunderstood what I was trying to say. I don't think about word count. In this case it was just a means to identify different stories as they are both romances.

To paraphrase Gandalf from LOTR: A story never has the wrong length. It's just as long as it needs to be.

If you have the story mapped out, why not write grand finale now? There's no rule saying a story has to be written from beginning end.

In my experience, "muse and imagination" as you call them, are actually a hinderance during some stages of writing; persistence and stamina are sometimes needed more, especially when you're re-drafting!

If you have the story mapped out, why not write grand finale now? There's no rule saying a story has to be written from beginning end.

In my experience, "muse and imagination" as you call them, are actually a hinderance during some stages of writing; persistence and stamina are sometimes needed more, especially when you're re-drafting!

I wrote a 13 chapter series and am now doing one which will go at least twice that long. In both cases, I wrote the first chapter, then the last. I returned to the beginning and for the most part, am working forward, but on occasion I will leap forward to a later point in the narrative.

If I was publishing the entire story at once,I'd be all over the map every day. I like to weave threads through the narrative, and will sometimes fill in, at least in a sketchy way, scenes that pertain to that thread. Its only the fact that I am posting chapters as I go that keeps me moving forward in something like a straight line.

If I may intrude......

"I'm not a doctor Jim! I'm an overgrown kid pretending to be one on TV!"

"Shut up Bones! Get in the transporter! We need your brain!"

If you have the story mapped out, why not write grand finale now?

Because my brain won't let me until I have this other story written. It will mix up names, flash scenes of the second story before my eyes or just refuse to come up with the right words until its urges are satisfied.

I don't blame my brain. I blame my Muses - all of them.

They distract me with plot bunnies many times a day. I had some success today. I managed a minor edit to a Lit posted story that I should have done months ago.

But I have six stories in progress now. The Muses are competing - 'Finish this one!'; 'No! That one'; 'Start this one...'.

Terpsichore seems the loudest at present. She wants me to do the final part of the posted story 'Fiona' and another dancing themed story that has been part finished for nearly a decade.

But Erato keeps interfering.

I call them my side projects, little quickies to appease the muses. Not always successful at keeping them under control. My geek day thing has taken over, 24k words, still going, and potentially a second part for next year.

The muse for my main WIP is getting restless. I fear a revolt somewhere in my subconscious, as they fight it out for writing time.

The Muses are competing - 'Finish this one!'; 'No! That one'; 'Start this one...'.

Now that's a much nicer allegory than mine. Muses fighting for my attention rather than my brain refusing to cooperate :D I can feel a story in there... Damn! Another distraction from my next big tale.

The solution is simple. Give up writing.

Humans do best what we like less. What we like most always makes us crazy. So go with next best

LOL! Your brain must know mine very well, they sound damn near identical! Bastards!

This is where you have to decide if you want to finish what you started when I sit down to write,
my brain is that devil on my shoulder, and the angel is what should be done

People get so bogged down on “word count” The ending seems rushed and anticlimactic..🌹Kant👠👠👠

In both cases, I wrote the first chapter, then the last.

"Shut up Bones! transporter! We need your brain!"

Because my brain won't let me until I have this other story written. It will mix up names, flash scenes

I don't blame my brain. I blame my Muses - all of them.
But Erato keeps interfering.

The solution is simple.
And this is how our brain(s) work sometimes. There's no rhyme or reason. It just "does". Yet, the brain keeps going. Searching. Stopping. Rewiring. Emotional. Logic.

Human all.

Back