The Official Authors' Hangout April Fool's 2018 Support Thread

Writes frantically.... only 20k words to go .... pant pant

The other thing is to take a break from the forum boards, at least until you finish your story.

The forum boards are nothing but a distraction when you're trying to concentrate on your characters and you have forum board posters pulling at your kimono.

Ohhhhh I never rush it but I do love it when the story just all comes together and this one is just fun. We're all going chupacabras hunting this afternoon, the vampires come tomorrow.

Interesting. That explains a lot. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

I have noticed my voting percentages climb from .05% to 3 to 5%.

5% is tremendous. I'm impressed. My stories range from about .5% to about 2%, with an average a little over 1%.

I've wondered this too. If you look at the stories currently at the top of the 12 month toplist, the numbers are somewhat lower than I recall them being one year ago, in terms of views. And when you look at them compared to the all time stories, it's hard to see how stories published now will ever catch those story's view totals. Something interesting I observed is that the stories at the top of the all time most-viewed list actually get a lot more daily views than stories on the 12 month list. So the stories at the top over time are putting more and more distance between their view totals and those of more recent stories.

5% is tremendous. I'm impressed. My stories range from about .5% to about 2%, with an average a little over 1%.

I've wondered this too. If you look at the stories currently at the top of the 12 month toplist, the numbers are somewhat lower than I recall them being one year ago, in terms of views. And when you look at them compared to the all time stories, it's hard to see how stories published now will ever catch those story's view totals. Something interesting I observed is that the stories at the top of the all time most-viewed list actually get a lot more daily views than stories on the 12 month list. So the stories at the top over time are putting more and more distance between their view totals and those of more recent stories.

I think that I get more votes because I remind the reader to vote. At the top of the page I have, As if your vote is my applause, please vote. I have the same line at the end of the story too. It does make a difference.

Yet, I suspect that people are afraid of voting and especially commenting. They fear that someone, wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend, significant other, or employer will discover that they read Literotica.

I had two stories in the top all-time most read list under my BostonFictionWriter name and deleted both to publish as E-books. I still have a third story in the top all-time most read list under my name of WmForrester, I Love You, Mommy with 2 million hits. At the time, that story was the most read (or opened) story in all of 2010.

Anon doesn't like my story...

Anon doesn't like many of my stories. I get negative comments on the first day of any contest entry.

Last edited:
Anon doesn't like my story...

Anon doesn't like many of my stories. I get negative comments on the first day of any contest entry.

My story posted at 3 am and within 1/2 hour, I had 6 bashing one votes. Now, if someone can read a 42,375 word story in 1/2 hour, then why aren't they making rockets (lol) instead of reading Literotica?

Last edited:
Despite that usual little voice telling me not to bother, still trying to get my horse up to the gate.

Still trying to get my April Fool in the saddle

I know time is fast ebbing away, my thoughts especially last weekend when my entry looked extremely unlikely, but now I’m 28k in with only two chapters to go, so I feel I’m in with a chance of meeting the deadline. The snow we had this week helped, all the football matches were cancelled, so that’s an 800-word local newspaper report-worth that can go into the Literotica writing bank, and a back spasm that incapacitated me for 8 hours meant I couldn’t work at a desk on my history book (an analysis in pen portrait form of the 717 people who lived in my village in 1841, up to 132pp so far and only a third of the way through) so I was drawn to using the iPad flat on my back and, surprisingly, made some serious inroads into my funny/tragic romance story. Need to allow time to edit and tidy up, but hope springs eternal.

Nah. I did kind of expect such comments, writing my first story for Gay Male.I wonder if I'll lose followers.

If you put it in GM you'll be okay. But if you drop even a hint of GM into other categories, you'll upset the kittens.

Nah. I did kind of expect such comments, writing my first story for Gay Male.I wonder if I'll lose followers.

I've posted a range of stories in different categories, and I wonder about that myself. Crossing categories seems like it should discourage followers.

Despite that usual little voice telling me not to bother, still trying to get my horse up to the gate.

I know time is fast ebbing away, my thoughts especially last weekend when my entry looked extremely unlikely, but now I’m 28k in with only two chapters to go, so I feel I’m in with a chance of meeting the deadline. The snow we had this week helped, all the football matches were cancelled, so that’s an 800-word local newspaper report-worth that can go into the Literotica writing bank, and a back spasm that incapacitated me for 8 hours meant I couldn’t work at a desk on my history book (an analysis in pen portrait form of the 717 people who lived in my village in 1841, up to 132pp so far and only a third of the way through) so I was drawn to using the iPad flat on my back and, surprisingly, made some serious inroads into my funny/tragic romance story. Need to allow time to edit and tidy up, but hope springs eternal.

Gee, just come on you two...says the guy who finally hit the submit button a few minutes ago...Hmmm, I probably should have waited to make sure it isn't thrown back out like a rotten tomato before coming on here to brag :eek:

Gee, just come on you two...says the guy who finally hit the submit button a few minutes ago...Hmmm, I probably should have waited to make sure it isn't thrown back out like a rotten tomato before coming on here to brag :eek:

Nothing is that automatic. It would have to ferment for a while before it gets kicked back.

Says the guy with no intention of entering the contest. But y'all should. Really.

I've posted a range of stories in different categories, and I wonder about that myself. Crossing categories seems like it should discourage followers.

I'm finding I get readers following me across categories and telling me that.

And still writing mine..... :cool:

I sent my submission to my editor tonight. It should be submitted no later than Tuesday.

:::stabs the Trolls through the slats in the bridge with a sharp stick and drops behind Chloe’s Barrett:::

Bring it bitches!

If you put it in GM you'll be okay. But if you drop even a hint of GM into other categories, you'll upset the kittens.

I've had a couple of bi-curious male characters in my stories and they still did well. I figure the scenes involving those characters were probably among the worst I've ever written, since they're the only ones in which I wouldn't have been attracted to either participant, but as far as I could tell they didn't hurt my ratings any.

On an unrelated but on-topic note, when the muse hits me, it hits hard. Got another idea for an April Fools story on Saturday, had it submitted by Sunday night. I wish it came that easy more often!

Well, my work is done on the April Fools contest. Submitted last night and posted out sometime in the wee hours of the morning. It's a lesbian romance where one of the women is a male-to-female transgender... 5 1/2 pages, so it's not for the faint of heart ;)

On an unrelated but on-topic note, when the muse hits me, it hits hard. Got another idea for an April Fools story on Saturday, had it submitted by Sunday night. I wish it came that easy more often!

Samey-same.

Got one Nude Day thing done, another in progress. Gotta ride the lightning while it strikes.

First draft of "Fools’ Errand" complete

Worked on it until 2 in the morning. Just need to read through it and correct it, fill in the odd three or four gaps I remember skating past, and should be ready to submit on Wednesday. It’s a Romance, with some nice characters, a couple of bad characters, and a submissive, with a couple of April Fools in the mix. Presently about 34k, but expect to add another 1k to 2k while filling the gaps, essential development of secondary characters needed at the denouement.

Worked on it until 2 in the morning. Just need to read through it and correct it, fill in the odd three or four gaps I remember skating past, and should be ready to submit on Wednesday. It’s a Romance, with some nice characters, a couple of bad characters, and a submissive, with a couple of April Fools in the mix. Presently about 34k, but expect to add another 1k to 2k while filling the gaps, essential development of secondary characters needed at the denouement.

Welcome to the AH and the best of luck with your entry. Hope it was fun to write! I'm heads down in mine and a lot still to write but it's all coming together. The start and the end are done and the middles coming together....

Eh, well. Despite that nagging little voice telling me it wasn't all that with a side of thighs... I mean fries! I hit submit on my entry just moments ago. We'll see if Mistress Laurel withholds the flogging to let another of my semi-literate efforts pass.

Not sure there's time but I had 'round a half dozen other ideas while I was devoting my attention to that one. Maybe I'll have enough time to work out something with one of those that's a little better. And maybe actually funny. Or sexy.

We have until March 20 to submit. I'm not panicking. 35k words down and lots to go.... my introduction is 1300 words by itsel - a new record - and Cuddles the koala is about to drop in on the action... I have no idea how you got him thru Immigration, EB, but he drinks and smokes....

Submitted

Just managed to submit mine. It had ballooned up to 38k by the end. It was fun to write, though. Not much sex in it, mostly only by allusion as I felt it would actually detract from the fun element of the two April Fool joke threads running through the seams. Some nice characters, a couple or three bad ones, bad by degrees, otherwise, hopefully, just a fun ride. Obvious ending, naturally, but with a few surprises. Neatly tied up at the end I hope. As I don’t have an editor, I am conscious that I should read it through again, but other projects and deadlines are calling.

Good luck to those who have already entered (I have already picked three that I just have to read in the wee small hours) and to those still writing. No matter how many things we write (and this is No 148, yes I’m anal enough to keep a spreadsheet and number all my completed stories!), it is always a relief to finish one before the next story beckons.

We have until March 20 to submit. I'm not panicking. 35k words down and lots to go.... my introduction is 1300 words by itsel - a new record - and Cuddles the koala is about to drop in on the action... I have no idea how you got him thru Immigration, EB, but he drinks and smokes....

Holy Moly, that's crazy. I'm at one-tenth that, but at the moment I foresee my story topping out at no more than 12,000 words. I'm not sure if I'm going to get it done in time, but I've decided I'd rather get the story right than get it in under the deadline.

Back