Using the Names of Real Places in a Porn Story

There you go.

In one of my mainstream mysteries set in the Mediterranean, I put a boutique hotel in a six-story medieval mill house that already had a restaurant on top of it. The novels were written mostly for the beach resort visitors in that country. I frequented the restaurant a lot myself, and the restaurant owner came over to my table once and bawled me out (but with a smile on his face) for the calls he was getting by tourists who wanted to book into his hotel. One another visit, I had to scoot down in my chair because the Brits at the table next to me were venting on how they'd come all the way up into the mountains from the coast only to find there wasn't really a hotel here. I trusted that they enjoyed their roasted trout meal, though.

Wow, it was so good people who had read your "mainstream" book wanted to go there? Really? Well, know what I say(and I am sure many here re thinking)

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • I_cf03f1_2599989.jpg
    I_cf03f1_2599989.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 35
The hate-consumed psycho, still smearing away after all of these ineffectual years.

Bitch, bitch, bitch. :D
 
Last edited:
Beat me to it.

The character of Mayor Quimby always had me thinking SF in Mass, but no proof.

Matt Groenig grew up in Portland. The Simpson's Springfield is more akin to Springfield Oregon than anywhere else, but it IS, still, only a fictional place.
 
"Good day sir. I am special agent Brown and this is special agent McGillicuddy. Are you the the one who recently uploaded a story titled "Lesbian Orgy in Area 51" to Literotica?"


Oh shit, I'm screwed then. I do have a story that takes place at Area 51
 
Using real place names adds verisimilitude to any fiction, thus helping the audience suspend their disbelief. Yes, using the names of privately owned and operated concerns can expose one to liability. Just make sure whatever you write about such places can be shown as an accurate representation of reality, or a fiction not, either by intent or deed, designed to deliberately impugn said places.

For example, someone mentioned the Plaza Athenee (which, coincidentally is a hotel I was using in the draft of a story I was working on).
Describing a room or a suit and describing a legal sexual encounter in a room of that hotel would not likely garner one a lawsuit.
The Athenee is a privately owned, yet public accommodation & people have legal sex in hotels. It shouldn't be an issue.

If you want to make sure you're insulated from liability, you should get a written statement from whatever establishment saying as much.
 
Last edited:
Then there is always Metropolis or Central City or Starling City.

Superman, The Flash and Arrow.
 
Real locations are used by almost all mainline authors. they can afford the research. I find it helps me get a feel of the setting.

As long as you don't defame the reputation of a business or hotel then, no probs.

Please stay away from Springfield.
 
In theatre they call it "Suspension of Disbelief." Who's going to want to read a story about John Doe living at 1234 Someplace Ave. in non-existent city near you. Would we care as much about Louis and Lastat if they didn't live (or not exactly live) in New Orleans.

Plus, let's all remember the Mad Av mantra; location, location, location. Or the agent's best friend, "Any publicity is better than no publicity." We're doing them (nation, state, city, business) a favor including them in our work. At least we're talking about them.

And if they don't like it; fuck'em if they can't take a joke.
 
Back
Top